cf111
Established Member
- Joined
- 13 Nov 2012
- Messages
- 1,394
Iv done my share of runs up the highland mainline and wondered on more than 1 occasion if Id make it. Of course a number of facters will have been at work here but 1 of said facters is without a doubt the totally unsuitable 170s. Its an experience I wouldnt recommend esp in winter!
I was on a southbound HST in the depths of winter which had a power car fail at Perth(ish) and all I could think was how glad I was that it didn't fail earlier on in the journey!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Think the old trams used sand to get a grip on slimy rails. Are there any instances of trains carrring sand just to help them through any known and troublesome slippery bits?
I think most, if not all, traction used on the national network carries sand. Some units will apply sand automatically if a high enough brake setting is applied but it can be applied by the driver pressing a button in the cab to assist with low adhesion if need be.
Last edited: