• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Cities and towns with unconnected stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,195
Would the three Alexandra Palace stations have counted, if all had survived?
 

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2011
Messages
1,825
Finding a route from Bradford Interchange to Bradford Forster Square without reversing is quite challenging, particularly if you confine yourself to passenger lines. What is the shortest?

There used to be a through route between the old Bradford Exchange and Forster Square stations via Eccleshill, but that is long gone.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Finding a route from Bradford Interchange to Bradford Forster Square without reversing is quite challenging, particularly if you confine yourself to passenger lines. What is the shortest?

There used to be a through route between the old Bradford Exchange and Forster Square stations via Eccleshill, but that is long gone.

Not absolutely certain, but I think the shortest route without reversal would require travel up the Calder Valley to Manchester Victoria, on to Preston and Carnforth, thence via Clapham, Hellifield and Skipton to Forster Square. Or saving some time and keeping on the good side of the Hills one could go Halifax-Greetland-Mirfield-Wakefield Kirkgate-Normanton-Woodlesford-Holbeck-Whitehall Curve-Shipley-BDQ. Do I win a prize? ;)
 

Clansman

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2016
Messages
2,654
Location
Scotland
Newcraighall and Musselburgh

Pretty much visible from each other across the field.
 

SeanG

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2013
Messages
1,378
Westhoughton has Daisy Hill and Westhoughton stations.
Formerly also had Chequerbent and Hilton House which were also not connected to either of the other 3
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,053
Location
Bristol
Not absolutely certain, but I think the shortest route without reversal would require travel up the Calder Valley to Manchester Victoria, on to Preston and Carnforth, thence via Clapham, Hellifield and Skipton to Forster Square. Or saving some time and keeping on the good side of the Hills one could go Halifax-Greetland-Mirfield-Wakefield Kirkgate-Normanton-Woodlesford-Holbeck-Whitehall Curve-Shipley-BDQ. Do I win a prize? ;)

If you're allowing Whitehall curve, then Exchange - Brighouse - Healey Mills - Kirkgate - Whitehall curve - Shipley is much shorter. :)
 

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2011
Messages
1,825
Not absolutely certain, but I think the shortest route without reversal would require travel up the Calder Valley to Manchester Victoria, on to Preston and Carnforth, thence via Clapham, Hellifield and Skipton to Forster Square. Or saving some time and keeping on the good side of the Hills one could go Halifax-Greetland-Mirfield-Wakefield Kirkgate-Normanton-Woodlesford-Holbeck-Whitehall Curve-Shipley-BDQ. Do I win a prize? ;)

I thought you'd have to go via Preston and Lancaster as well, but I would go via Burnley rather than Manchester.

Not being overfamiliar with the track layout at Leeds, is it possible to reach the Shipley line from the Whitehall curve?

The curve doesn't, of course, have regular passenger services although I did get it a few years ago on a TPE to Liverpool. The front unit was faulty so they ran the train down the Woodlesford line and then reversed the set using the curve.
 

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2013
Messages
1,547
Beckenham Junction and New Beckenham...

I did that route one Saturday afternoon, Waterloo East to Orpington and return to Charing Cross: permanent way work on the normal route through Hither Green, services went via Catford Bridge and Bromley South.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
I thought you'd have to go via Preston and Lancaster as well, but I would go via Burnley rather than Manchester.

Not being overfamiliar with the track layout at Leeds, is it possible to reach the Shipley line from the Whitehall curve?

The curve doesn't, of course, have regular passenger services although I did get it a few years ago on a TPE to Liverpool. The front unit was faulty so they ran the train down the Woodlesford line and then reversed the set using the curve.

My route went via Carnforth so would inevitably pass Preston and Lancaster. I had momentarily forgotten the Copy Pit option though! The Whitehall curve is definitely available to the Aire Valley route, the Scottish coal from the S&C used to use it to access Drax/Eggborough/Ferrybridge power stations.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top