Cambus731
Established Member
Disagree with Kylie Minogue. She has had tons of hits in the UK.
Argh, don't throw that earworm at me at this time of night!![]()

This absolutely does not qualify, it's pretty obscure compared to her later work.Kylie Minogue - I Should Be So Lucky
I've just thought of another Christmas hit from the early '80s by a group not especially well known for any other songs: The Waitresses - Christmas WrappingArgh, don't throw that earworm at me at this time of night!![]()
As a bit of trivia, The Waitresses are unique in being a "One Hit Wonder" on both sides of the Atlantic.. but with different hits. In their homeland of the USA they're best known for "I Know What Boys Like".I've just thought of another Christmas hit from the early '80s by a group not especially well known for any other songs: The Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping
Cyndi Lauper also had a number 3 chart with" Time after Time" also " I drove all night and True Colours which were lesser hits !Yes, according to Wikipedia they had three other UK top ten hits: Showing Out (Get Fresh at the Weekend), FLM, and That's The Way It Is. Of those, I'd say Showing Out was their best known one.
Again "You're the Voice" was probably his best known song but he did have others such as Going Going Gone.
Here are a few more from the '80s:
Jona Lewie - Stop the Cavalry
Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want to Have Fun
Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas?
Shakin' Stevens - Merry Christmas Everyone
Sinitta - He's Gotta Be So Macho
Kylie Minogue - I Should Be So Lucky
Shakin' Stevens - Merry Christmas Everyone
I think Shakin' Stevens would be generally known for more than one song (at least amongst people old enough to have even heard of him), and I'm not even sure I'd even put Merry Christmas Everyone as his best known hit - that surely has to be his cover of This Ole' House.
Not sure if anyone has mentioned these yet, but some others that come to my mind that I can't recall seeing in my skimming of this thread are:
Manhattan Transfer - known for Chanson d'Amour
Baccara - known for Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
The duet of Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin - do I even need to name that song?
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
I also wonder about Bucks Fizz and the Human League. Both of those bands had quite a few hits during the 1980s, but I imagine quite a few people will just think of Making Your Mind Up (Bucks Fizz) and Don't You Want Me Baby (Human League) and not be that much aware of their other hits.
Scooter has had a few hits, though as they're all utter garbage and all sound pretty much the same I'll give you that one. 2-Unlimited likewise.
Robyn also had "I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker" which was massive for a while.
For the B-52s I'd argue that Rock Lobster is just as well-known as Love Shack.
Space (assuming you're referring to the 90s Liverpool group) had a few hits from their debut album. I'd say "The Female of the Species" is their most well-known but they also had "Me & You Versus the World" which was pretty big at the time.
He was also part of Terry Dactyl and the Dinosaurs, and wrote their hit 'Seaside Shuffle', which reached no. 2.Ah, but Jona Lewie had the classic "In the Kitchen at parties" as well !
Fool's Garden were a German group. I actually lived in Germany at that time and remember hearing it a lot there. Maybe they were better known in Germany than in the UK.Back on topic, I am offering Fool’s Garden - Lemon Tree. Nobody seems to have heard of it, even though I swear it was never off the radio in 1995.
It is perhaps unsurprising that the personnel of ' I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue' includes people famous for only one song.Barry Cryer: The Purple People Eater, apparently a number 1 in Finland!
It is perhaps unsurprising that the personnel of ' I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue' includes people famous for only one song.
Besides Barry Cryer, there's Graeme Garden and Tim Brooke-Taylor and sometime panellist Bill Oddie, who as The Goodies had a hit with 'Funky Gibbon'.
Chairman Humphrey Lyttelton and his band had a hit with his own composition 'Bad Penny Blues'.
Colin Sell at the piano is notable for not having a hit...but his predecessor, Dave Lee wrote two hit singles 'Goodness Gracious Me' and 'Kinky Boots', but was not the artist that performed them.
Indeed! I believe some of his performances have been disappointing: Samantha was uncomfortable with his 'Hair on a G-string'....Colin Sell has had a hit…from Mrs Sell with a frying-pan when he came home with lipstick on his collar.
If it were possible to surgically remove all memory of that song from my brain, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Something about the jangly instrumental always rubbed me up the wrong way.Babybird - You’re Gorgeous
If it were possible to surgically remove all memory of that song from my brain, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Something about the jangly instrumental always rubbed me up the wrong way.
They also had a hit with the much less annoying (but also less catchy) "The F Word" which was later used on one of Gordon Ramsay's TV shows, so probably rules them out of One Hit Wonder territory.
Poison is the first song which springs to mind when I think of Alice Cooper.Alice Cooper - School's Out
Same here. Awesome song too!Poison is the first song which springs to mind when I think of Alice Cooper.
Poison is the first song which springs to mind when I think of Alice Cooper.
Talking of Germans and one-hit wonders - this goes back a long time, probably when @Taunton could still see Kings going past his mum's kitchen window - but I think Heinz and "Just like Eddie" would fit well in this thread. OR did he have any other hits?Fool's Garden were a German group. I actually lived in Germany at that time and remember hearing it a lot there. Maybe they were better known in Germany than in the UK.
Talking of Germans and one-hit wonders - this goes back a long time, probably when @Taunton could still see Kings going past his mum's kitchen window - but I think Heinz and "Just like Eddie" would fit well in this thread. OR did he have any other hits?
Ha ha! Love the Eastleigh bit! I didn't know he was part of the Tornadoes - or perhaps I did at the time, but forgot. I thought he was echte Deutsch.He didn’t have any other solo hits, but he was part of the The Tornadoes when they did Telstar. He was born in Detmold, but brought up in Eastleigh.
Apart from the trivia that the line was a 10-minute walk from the house (Talking of Germans and one-hit wonders - this goes back a long time, probably when @Taunton could still see Kings going past his mum's kitchen window - but I think Heinz and "Just like Eddie" would fit well in this thread. OR did he have any other hits?
), you are spot on with the date, as he and the Tornados were at their peak in 1962, the Kings' last year. Heinz Burt, and to an extent the entire Tornados setup, were the creation of producer Joe Meek, and appear on most of his material recorded in the infamous upper flat on Holloway Road in London, which I still look out for when passing and have pointed out to a couple of music aficionados. So not a one-hit-wonder at all. Regarding Eastleigh, I believe he was born in Germany in WW2, his father was killed, and his family took up with a British occupation soldier and moved to Britain when he was very young. If from Eastleigh his step-father might have even been railway staff, doing National Service.