Not to forget Old Town Road which peaked in the UK at No.1 in 2019.Billy Ray Cyrus - achy breaky heart.He seems to now be remembered as Miley’s father.
Not to forget Old Town Road which peaked in the UK at No.1 in 2019.Billy Ray Cyrus - achy breaky heart.He seems to now be remembered as Miley’s father.
'Heart of Gold' reached no. 10 in the UK charts...but, yeah, he's not made much impression since....What about Neil Young - Only love can break your heart?
Whatever happened to the guy? You'd have thought he had enough talent to make it somehow?
I guess some people just fade away.
You are absolutely right - 'Globetrotter' reached number 5 and 'Robot' number 17.Has anyone mentioned The Tornadoes and "Telstar"?
I'm pretty sure they had a follow up that got to about number 3, then a second follow up (maybe top 20), neither of which anyone bar a fan remembers. Then, oblivion?
A couple of others that I am surprised no-one has mentioned, from 1979 and 1981 respectively:Surprised no-one has mentioned Blue Oyster Cult - (Don't Fear) the Reaper
Which I think deserves special honourable mention for being possibly THE most popular dance craze of the '90s and because the lyrics are in Spanish. They did also later do an English language remix, and most people probably know it without knowing that it's a Spanish song or even that it's in a language other than English. There's also a German language version called Makkaroni (the German spelling of macaroni, as in the pasta) by the Deutschmacher, a German duo who translate songs into German - some of them word for word translations and some of them more of a play on words. It's in this clip:Los Del Rio - Macarena
Also had a hit with Are Friends Electric, amongst others.Gary Numan - Cars
That wasn't Gary Numan on his own was it, it was as part of the band Tubeway Army if I've got the hits the right way round.Also had a hit with Are Friends Electric, amongst others.
I was astonished that his "Everybody's Talkin'" only got to No. 23 in the UK charts. If that Jolly Boys' Outing had only happened in 1969 the song would have made No. 1.Nilsson's cover version of "Without You"? That made number one, he didn't have any other top 20's in the UK.
Numan did have quite a few hits in the early part of his career. Definitely not a one hit wonder. And he's still making music and touring today.That wasn't Gary Numan on his own was it, it was as part of the band Tubeway Army if I've got the hits the right way round.
Shouldn't think that the millionaire Jasper Carrott is particularly concerned that he only had one hit!Chris Spedding-Motor Biking
John Kongos-Tokoloshe Man
And, whilst obviously well known in other fields, I don’t recall Jasper Carrott having any hit singles other than Funky Moped.
Could have sworn Mel and Kim had multiple hits, but then realised I couldn't think of another one!John Farnham - You're The Voice
I Monster - Daydream In Blue
Mel and Kim - Respectable
Joe Jackson - Steppin' Out
Men Without Hats - The Safety Dance
Probably Rod Stewart's best song.Python Lee Jackson - In a Broken Dream
I'm so old I remember them (Pink Floyd) playing 'See Emily Play' on Top of the Pops!A few more US bands (which I don't think have been mentioned yet) who have plenty of well known songs over there but are really only known for one big hit in the UK (even if they had other chart singles):
Steppenwolf - Born to be Wild
Journey - Don't Stop Believing
Alice Cooper - School's Out
Van Halen - Jump
And, I wonder if you asked a random sample of the general public, how many could name a Pink Floyd hit single other than Another Brick in the Wall?
Though well known for his large "city" concerts, especially as the Docklands one was not without it's issuesJean Michel Jarre - Oxygene Part IV
Houston,Lyon, Moscow & La Defence come to mind. Wembley stadium in 1993 was drier than Docklands for sureThough well known for his large "city" concerts, especially as the Docklands one was not without it's issues
"As you know I have had one or two difficulties in the last few weeks, but actually frogs like rain!"
Yes, according to Wikipedia they had three other UK top ten hits: Showing Out (Get Fresh at the Weekend), FLM, and That's The Way It Is. Of those, I'd say Showing Out was their best known one.Could have sworn Mel and Kim had multiple hits, but then realised I couldn't think of another one!
Again "You're the Voice" was probably his best known song but he did have others such as Going Going Gone.John Farnham - You're The Voice
Yes, according to Wikipedia they had three other UK top ten hits: Showing Out (Get Fresh at the Weekend), FLM, and That's The Way It Is. Of those, I'd say Showing Out was their best known one.
Again "You're the Voice" was probably his best known song but he did have others such as Going Going Gone.
Here are a few more from the '80s:
Jona Lewie - Stop the Cavalry
Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want to Have Fun
Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas?
Shakin' Stevens - Merry Christmas Everyone
Sinitta - He's Gotta Be So Macho
Kylie Minogue - I Should Be So Lucky
Ah, but Jona Lewie had the classic "In the Kitchen at parties" as well !