• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelcards online

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
Hi

Is it possible to purchase just travelcards online that work in the barriers? It is quite important that they work in barriers as I will be in a rush (meaning I can't buy them there)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also, is it cheaper to get paper travelcards if I'm doing a tube & rail bash or is oyster cheaper?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
Hi

Is it possible to purchase just travelcards online that work in the barriers? It is quite important that they work in barriers as I will be in a rush (meaning I can't buy them there)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also, is it cheaper to get paper travelcards if I'm doing a tube & rail bash or is oyster cheaper?

paper travelcards i think are cheaper. are you starting from a local station maybe see if ticket office can do it for you?

codes are london terminals 1072 to london zones 1-6 0035, anytime day travelcard is £14.80 and off peak is £7.50
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,824
Location
Back office
Hi

Is it possible to purchase just travelcards online that work in the barriers? It is quite important that they work in barriers as I will be in a rush (meaning I can't buy them there)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also, is it cheaper to get paper travelcards if I'm doing a tube & rail bash or is oyster cheaper?

Travelcards online, don't think so. Oyster is only cheaper if you're doing very few/short journeys and you know what you're doing. They will cap at the equivalent paper travelcard rate so probably not cheaper if you're doing one, maybe two single journeys.

Bashing and Oyster don't go together, it's asking for trouble. I advise you make time and arrive at the booking office early so you can get a Travelcard there.
 
Last edited:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
Hi

Is it possible to purchase just travelcards online that work in the barriers? It is quite important that they work in barriers as I will be in a rush (meaning I can't buy them there)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also, is it cheaper to get paper travelcards if I'm doing a tube & rail bash or is oyster cheaper?

Paper will definitely be cheaper if bashing. Oyster should charge the same as a paper travelcard once you've made enough journeys, but is very prone to errors when you aren't making relatively straightforward journeys.

You can't buy them online, but they are available from ticket machines in the travelcard area so you shouldn't have to queue.
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,573
You can buy them online - http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/English/BuyTravelcard.htm - but they charge a postage fee (£2 last time I checked).

They are also available from Telesales, collection from ToD or by post, this is one of the rear occasions I use Telesales, because they also offer the railcard discounts which LUL stations don't if my London Journeys are starting at a LUL station.
ScotRail know what they are doing (most others say they can't do it) - they can be reached on 01752 675670.

However don't specifically ask for a London Travelcard, ask for it as if you would any other ticket - or give the National Location Codes.

For example:

From Dalston Junction 1443 DLJ
To London Zones 1-6 0035

This will present 3 fares to them, a Off Peak Day, Anytime Day, Off Peak 3 Day, Anytime 3 Day.

Ask for the relevant fare.

-----
Here are the NLC's for London Zones (excluding 2-X)

London Zones 1-2 0032
London Zones 1-4 0034
London Zones 1-6 0035

-----

Also if you have a railcard, the flat fare is £5.00 so just ask for a 1-6, as its the same price as 1-2.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,435
Location
Yorkshire
yes buy online, a bit easier from WebTIS (atos origin than TTL as London Travelcard is a destination. you may need to buy from a z6 station to get a z1-6 if that's what you want.

oyster is a medium not a product so isn't 'cheaper' or otherwise as such but DAY travelcards are NOT available on Oyster (which I think is daft) only 7day and above are available on Oyster. the price of a Travelcard is the same
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
paper travelcards i think are cheaper.

no. same price but 1 day travelcards are NOT available on Oyster. the PAYG daily cap is at the 1 day Travelcard price but PAYG is often unsuitable for 'bashing' random lines!
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,573
yes buy online, a bit easier from WebTIS (atos origin than TTL as London Travelcard is a destination. you may need to buy from a z6 station to get a z1-6 if that's what you want.

oyster is a medium not a product so isn't 'cheaper' or otherwise as such but DAY travelcards are NOT available on Oyster (which I think is daft) only 7day and above are available on Oyster. the price of a Travelcard is the same
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


no. same price but 1 day travelcards are NOT available on Oyster. the PAYG daily cap is at the 1 day Travelcard price but PAYG is often unsuitable for 'bashing' random lines!
East Coast returns no fares found on a search for various zone 6 stations (national rail only) to London Zones 1-6, thats why I didn't suggest it. I also looked at a couple of stations in other zones and got the same result.
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
Thanks for all the help :)

So I can't buy it online like on EastCoast or anything?
 

Zoe

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2008
Messages
5,905
1 day travelcards are NOT available on Oyster. the PAYG daily cap is at the 1 day Travelcard price but PAYG is often unsuitable for 'bashing' random lines!
Is there any reason they opted for PAYG rather than allowing one day travelcards on Oyster? It's possible once paper travelcards are withdrawn in the long term that the cap could be removed and you would have to pay for every journey, this would maximize revenue for tfl. If a smartcard is developed for National Rail it would of course give TOCs the perfect excuse to withdraw season tickets.
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
How, I've tried 1072 to London All Zones Travelcard and London Travelcard All Zones :?
 

Green Lane

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2010
Messages
334
Location
Birkenhead, Merseyside
How, I've tried 1072 to London All Zones Travelcard and London Travelcard All Zones :?

I always use the Southern site for this.

Someone on here told me a trick that works.

From: South Hampstead
To: London Zones 1-6

works fine, generating the required one-day travelcard.

I use Southern for this rather than the London Midland Site, as the LM site does not allow "pick up from machine" option when the ticket is a travelcard for some reason. Southern site is OK though.

Sometimes I get "fatal error" on the website. Just try again and it works fine.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
If you can't get it to work online you could aways try a TOC Telesales office.
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
I always use the Southern site for this.

Someone on here told me a trick that works.

From: South Hampstead
To: London Zones 1-6

works fine, generating the required one-day travelcard.

I use Southern for this rather than the London Midland Site, as the LM site does not allow "pick up from machine" option when the ticket is a travelcard for some reason. Southern site is OK though.

Sometimes I get "fatal error" on the website. Just try again and it works fine.

I get this:
No fares have been found for your selected journey. Please try adjusting your dates and times for travel.
 
Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,573
If you can't get it to work online you could aways try a TOC Telesales office.
You are getting the same results as me MCR247 - as suggested by Mojo and myself earlier I would go for Telesales...
The one I have found the best at issuing travelcards is ScotRail, their geographical number us 01752675670.
But before you phone read my post carefully...

They are also available from Telesales, collection from ToD or by post, this is one of the rear occasions I use Telesales, because they also offer the railcard discounts which LUL stations don't if my London Journeys are starting at a LUL station.
ScotRail know what they are doing (most others say they can't do it) - they can be reached on 01752 675670.

However don't specifically ask for a London Travelcard, ask for it as if you would any other ticket - or give the National Location Codes.

For example:

From Dalston Junction 1443 DLJ
To London Zones 1-6 0035

This will present 3 fares to them, a Off Peak Day, Anytime Day, Off Peak 3 Day, Anytime 3 Day.

Ask for the relevant fare.

-----
Here are the NLC's for London Zones (excluding 2-X)

London Zones 1-2 0032
London Zones 1-4 0034
London Zones 1-6 0035

-----

Also if you have a railcard, the flat fare is £5.00 so just ask for a 1-6, as its the same price as 1-2.
 

thefab444

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2006
Messages
3,688
Location
The New Forest
I tried Clapham Junction to "London All Zones Travelcard", and I imagine that would work for any Z1-6 starting point. It allows you to pick up your ticket at any TOD enabled TVM. London Terminals, however, does not work.
 

Green Lane

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2010
Messages
334
Location
Birkenhead, Merseyside
I get this:
No fares have been found for your selected journey. Please try adjusting your dates and times for travel.

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. I tested it before posting and it did work for me, so not sure why it didn't work in your case. Perhaps it's something to do with the date of travel, since I only tested it using today's date.
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
On Southeastern's website it won't let you buy the peak version. If you select a start time before 9.30 on a Monday-Friday then it won't offer the ticket. You can reduce the price by adding a railcard if you have one.
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
I'm sorry it didn't work for you. I tested it before posting and it did work for me, so not sure why it didn't work in your case. Perhaps it's something to do with the date of travel, since I only tested it using today's date.

Yes, its working now :)
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
Sorry to be awkward but what would I put in for Zone 1-9 as I want a final A-Stock bash :)
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
Sorry to be awkward but what would I put in for Zone 1-9 as I want a final A-Stock bash :)

Try putting a station in zone 9 in the from box. If you put Watford High Street in on Southeastern then the price of the undiscounted card goes up to £9.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,435
Location
Yorkshire
what date is this for? that may be the problem.

for zone 9, I think bushey does it.... it says z 1-6 also available at z 7-9 iirc
 
Joined
22 Aug 2010
Messages
355
Location
Warrington NW ENGLAND
Being new to the forum I would like to ask a question regarding London Travelcards. I have been following this thread with great interest as i am thinking of going to London later this week using the London Midland half price offer.One suggestion was to book a Travelcard from a "Southern station" for all zones although all i need is zones 1 -3. I have gone to the Southern web site and entered South Hampstead and London Zones 1-6, being a senior it comes up with a price of £5.00 which sounds like a good price. Does this mean that i can use the card from Euston to Stratford (basically thats all i want to do a return trip from Euston to Stratford ) or is there a cheaper way of doing it???
 

OwlMan

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
3,206
Being new to the forum I would like to ask a question regarding London Travelcards. I have been following this thread with great interest as i am thinking of going to London later this week using the London Midland half price offer.One suggestion was to book a Travelcard from a "Southern station" for all zones although all i need is zones 1 -3. I have gone to the Southern web site and entered South Hampstead and London Zones 1-6, being a senior it comes up with a price of £5.00 which sounds like a good price. Does this mean that i can use the card from Euston to Stratford (basically thats all i want to do a return trip from Euston to Stratford ) or is there a cheaper way of doing it???

Where are you travelling from to get to LOndon?

Peter
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,573
Would a conductor be able to issue travelcards?

Yep. Just ask for a London Travelcard most would know what to do, if not tell them to put in...

City Thameslink (it can be any zonal station served by NR as long as it is in the zones you want the tc for) to London Zones A-X.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top