• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelcards online

Status
Not open for further replies.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,570
I will be traveling from Runcorn up in Cheshire, is there a problem with that starting point?
There is a slight one - as London Midland don't set the fares for Runcorn to London (VWC do) you will need to split tickets somewhere along the line.
I was hoping to purchase online and pick up ticket ( along with my London Midland ticket which I normally do) at the TOD machine at Runcorn station, will that be possible?

Yes.

---

To mod - Can I suggest splitting this thread so all the posts related to 46100ROYALSCOT's query go into a new thread?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
To mod - Can I suggest splitting this thread so all the posts related to 46100ROYALSCOT's query go into a new thread?

That would be a good idea because that might need more ticketing expertise, and some may not view this thread because of the title :)
 
Joined
22 Aug 2010
Messages
355
Location
Warrington NW ENGLAND
Apparently you book the ticket from Liverpool Lime street and board and alight at Runcorn, that's what i understand from the LM web site, perhaps the London Midland member can correct me.
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,570
Apparently you book the ticket from Liverpool Lime street and board and alight at Runcorn, that's what i understand from the LM web site, perhaps the London Midland member can correct me.
There we go then... my fault - I didn't read the site, I just got the basics from the relevant threads

.
However they may be a cheaper way of doing it, wait for our ticketing experts.
 
Joined
22 Aug 2010
Messages
355
Location
Warrington NW ENGLAND
Many thanks transphoto for all your help, I am happy about getting to London my main concern is the Travelcard. Do you or anyone else know if the purchase of the Travelcard zone 1-6 from Southern on-line will allow me travel from Euston to Stratford and return?
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,579
Location
Crayford
Many thanks transphoto for all your help, I am happy about getting to London my main concern is the Travelcard. Do you or anyone else know if the purchase of the Travelcard zone 1-6 from Southern on-line will allow me travel from Euston to Stratford and return?

Yes, no problem with that*. However, if that is all you want to do then you actually only need a zone 1-4 travelcard as Stratford is in zone 3. I'm sure that this can be purchased from the machines at Euston but you don't seem to be able to buy the less than 6 zone versions online.

* One small caveat. Ordinary travelcards are not valid on the highspeed line between St Pancras and Stratford.
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
London Midland Summer Rail Sale said:
Travelling between the North West / the Midlands and London

If you’re travelling to Runcorn, simply buy a ticket to Liverpool.

http://www.londonmidland.com/your-journey/summer-rail-sale/
The instruction "If you’re travelling to Runcorn, simply buy a ticket to Liverpool" is in conflict with the restrictions of the Summer Rail Sale tickets. Both the Off-Peak Return and the Off-Peak Day Return London - Liverpool route London Midland only have Restriction SK:
Restriction SK said:
... Break of journey is not permitted except to change trains at an intermediate station or to access station facilities. ...
In my opinion, it is unwise for a train company to instruct passengers not to observe one of the conditions of a ticket. This is likely to be cited to the detriment of a train company by a passenger, or a passenger's representative, in different circumstances.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Hi

Is it possible to purchase just travelcards online that work in the barriers? It is quite important that they work in barriers as I will be in a rush (meaning I can't buy them there)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also, is it cheaper to get paper travelcards if I'm doing a tube & rail bash or is oyster cheaper?

You can normally buy travel cards on the train into London (I've done so a few times on East Coast). Might be another option if you can't buy online/over the phone.
 

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
You can buy them online - http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/English/BuyTravelcard.htm - but they charge a postage fee (£2 last time I checked).

They are also available from Telesales, collection from ToD or by post, this is one of the rear occasions I use Telesales, because they also offer the railcard discounts which LUL stations don't if my London Journeys are starting at a LUL station.
ScotRail know what they are doing (most others say they can't do it) - they can be reached on 01752 675670.

Scotrail seem to be based in Plymouth.
Do the telesales people have to do a scottish awareness course?
Presumably "Jan" has a work name of "Hamish"?
 

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
it's easy enough to get one from the machines at Euston station. There are plenty of them, and not far from the underground escalator.
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,570
Scotrail seem to be based in Plymouth.
Do the telesales people have to do a scottish awareness course?
Presumably "Jan" has a work name of "Hamish"?
No, thats seems to be the main base for the customer services for FirstGroup Rail Operations.
All post coming out of First Rail Op's (customer services dept) is franked 'PLYMOUTH' however I doubt that that is where they come from (except, FGW - it may come from Plymouth)

All the ScotRail call's do get diverted to a Scottish call center, there accents are too positive.
 

Green Lane

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2010
Messages
334
Location
Birkenhead, Merseyside
Yes, no problem with that*. However, if that is all you want to do then you actually only need a zone 1-4 travelcard as Stratford is in zone 3. I'm sure that this can be purchased from the machines at Euston but you don't seem to be able to buy the less than 6 zone versions online.

* One small caveat. Ordinary travelcards are not valid on the highspeed line between St Pancras and Stratford.

You can buy the less than 6 zones versions on the Southern railway website

For example

From: South Hampstead
To: London Zones 1-4

The last two travelcards I bought and used were as above, £6.30 rather than £7.50 as I didn't need to go beyond zone 4 on my travels.

EDIT: (correction) Seems you can indeed also get the peak versions of the travelcards on that site too for £10 (Z1-4) and £14.80 (Z1-6). (Standard TfL prices)

I'm quoting non-discounted prices.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top