• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travel advice & experiences during the Glasgow Central disruption

MadCommuter

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2010
Messages
736
The busyness of that particular train is surely nothing to do with having to accommodate passengers from a terminated Avanti service?!!
No but that service is taking other passengers, such as from curtailed Lanark trains.

My point remains, all Argyle Line services should be 6 cars while the High Level is closed.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sirius

Member
Joined
19 Jul 2016
Messages
134
No but that service is taking other passengers, such as from curtailed Lanark trains.

My point remains, all Argyle Line services should be 6 cars while the High Level is closed.

Shifting the inconvenience to the North Clyde Line? That’s a harder sell to affected passengers travelling into a completely different station. With services likely to be busier with passengers who would use Bellshill or Uddingston. If you are jumping in the car anyway the 6 tph in the peak from Coatbridge Sunnyside or Shettleston have to be more appealing than slumming it on half hourly, and busy, services to/from Motherwell via Hamilton.
 
Last edited:

MadCommuter

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2010
Messages
736
Shifting the inconvenience to the North Clyde Line? That’s a harder sell to affected passengers travelling into a completely different station. With services likely to be busier with passengers who would use Bellshill or Uddingston. If you are jumping in the car anyway the 6 tph in the peak from Coatbridge Sunnyside or Shettleston have to be more appealing than slumming it on half hourly, and busy, services to/from Motherwell via Hamilton.
There must be 380s available which were used during the Commonwealth Games in 2014 on the Argyle Line.
 

Falcon1200

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2021
Messages
6,608
Location
Neilston, East Renfrewshire
No but that service is taking other passengers, such as from curtailed Lanark trains.

My point remains, all Argyle Line services should be 6 cars while the High Level is closed.

Both fair points, but rediagramming the EMU fleet to achieve that would not be a quick or simple task. And if 380s were to be used on the Argyle Line Driver traction knowledge would surely be an issue?
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,316
I took the 0549 from Motherwell to Lancaster yesterday. The service was a little late in leaving as it came in ECS from Polmadie.

I noticed plenty of passengers arriving in taxis at Motherwell.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,986
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
I’ve now had emails from Trainsplit offering me refunds for my TPE trains on 17th and 19th March. However it appears that although TPE are run nothing between Preston and GLC or GLC and Liverpool, Avanti are still running north as far as Motherwell on Tuesday 17th.

Forgive me but I’m confused. I now have alternative tickets in my basket with a view to claiming the refunds, but before I go ahead am I correct that on Thursday 19th it’s believed that Avanti are indeed expecting to run from GLC high level through to Euston, or might I be throwing good money after bad?
 

Buzby

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2023
Messages
1,695
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
might I be throwing good money after bad?
I’m sure your crystal ball will be just as good as theirs! I’ve just had a TPE email telling me my Wednesday train from Lime Street to Glasgow Central has been cancelled and inviting me to refund it. As I’m departing for Liverpool tomorrow, by AWC, I’ve heard nothing! I’ll just get to Haymarket and try that way!
 

D1537

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2019
Messages
2,091
Location
North Yorkshire
Forgive me but I’m confused. I now have alternative tickets in my basket with a view to claiming the refunds, but before I go ahead am I correct that on Thursday 19th it’s believed that Avanti are indeed expecting to run from GLC high level through to Euston, or might I be throwing good money after bad?
Avanti's website says "Until at least the end of Tuesday 17 March, Avanti West Coast trains will start and end at Motherwell". On RTT, it is currently showing Avanti running to GLC starting on the 18th.

TPE's website also says that disruption is expected until the 17th, but is far more vague and according to RTT will not be running services until Saturday 21st.
 

AY1975

Established Member
Joined
14 Dec 2016
Messages
2,185
The transpennine extended dates of travel now include Wednesday 18th .
Yes, and as I mentioned in entry #20 upthread, this Wednesday I am booked to travel from Manchester to Glasgow on TransPennine. At the moment the National Rail, TPE and Avanti sites are still saying Glasgow Central high level will be closed at least until 23.59 on Tuesday, and the ScotRail site is saying it will be closed at least until Wednesday although it's unclear whether that means up to and including Wednesday or that they are hoping for at least a partial reopening on Wednesday.

But I used the LNER app to book my tickets, and the app has notified me that my journey has been cancelled, and is offering me the option to either rebook my journey or claim a refund. I'm guessing that this means LNER and ScotRail know something that Avanti, TPE and National Rail/Rail Delivery Group don't, or just that the latter three haven't got round to updating their websites yet.

This is probably just speculation, but my guess would be that when the high level station does start to reopen, whenever that may be, it will be a phased reopening with longer distance services being given priority over local services, and maybe Avanti services will resume first?
 

Pacef8

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2020
Messages
479
Location
Wirral
Its still saying upto the 18th for trp with a new announcement this afternoon Sunday 15th . My online ticket has expired but fortunately we have a paper copy. I don't know if there are gate line restrictions if we just go to Edinburgh instead .

Avanti are now saying 19th March

  • Avanti West Coast tickets dated 8-19 March can be used at no extra cost on any Avanti West Coast train on the same route until the end of Thursday 19 March.
 
Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,986
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Avanti's website says "Until at least the end of Tuesday 17 March, Avanti West Coast trains will start and end at Motherwell". On RTT, it is currently showing Avanti running to GLC starting on the 18th.

TPE's website also says that disruption is expected until the 17th, but is far more vague and according to RTT will not be running services until Saturday 21st.

Thanks. I've rebooked for 17th with a change at Motherwell, and for my return on 19th fingers X'd that the Avantis from GLC to Preston will be running, as I've been sold a ticket for one.

Have put in my refund claims so just have to wait and see now.
 

mmh

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2016
Messages
4,307
I’ve now had emails from Trainsplit offering me refunds for my TPE trains on 17th and 19th March. However it appears that although TPE are run nothing between Preston and GLC or GLC and Liverpool, Avanti are still running north as far as Motherwell on Tuesday 17th.

Forgive me but I’m confused. I now have alternative tickets in my basket with a view to claiming the refunds, but before I go ahead am I correct that on Thursday 19th it’s believed that Avanti are indeed expecting to run from GLC high level through to Euston, or might I be throwing good money after bad?
If you need (or actually, just want) to go, why not just do it? I don't understand cancelling and buying alternative tickets. If you have a ticket to or from Glasgow just use it. Nobody will bat an eyelid if you travel via Motherwell or Edinburgh if the Central is still shut.
 

EMU303

Member
Joined
24 Aug 2016
Messages
299
Confirmation of restricted services terminating at Paisley Gilmour St from tomorrow.

What is the restriction on running other services eg East Kilbride and Barrhead to say Crosssmyloof and the stations in between? No suitable turn back or too few passengers?

“Under the revised timetable, trains will run every 30 minutes between Ayr and Paisley. A half-hourly shuttle bus will also operate between Lanark and Motherwell.

Hourly services will run between Gourock and Paisley, Wemyss Bay and Paisley, Kilwinning and Largs, Kilwinning and Ardrossan Harbour, Barrhead and Kilmarnock, and Edinburgh and West Calder.”
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Peter0124

Established Member
Joined
20 Nov 2016
Messages
2,754
Location
Glasgow
I seen someone on X saying why not run Ayrshire services to Newton via Polmadie so people can connect with the low level.
 

MrChips69

Member
Joined
28 Apr 2023
Messages
13
Location
London
Hello!

I'm due to be travelling from Euston to Glasgow Central tomorrow on the 12:30 with an advance first class ticket.

It was meant to be a direct train but looking at the latest timetable, it is suggesting I will now need to change at Preston and catch another train (14:54 from Preston) - presumably linked to the issues caused by the recent fire. I also cannot seem to book a (dummy) first class ticket on the second leg which makes me wonder if I won't have an allocated first class seat for that part of the journey.

Is there a way to ensure my original booking gets transferred across? If not, can I get a (partial) refund?
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,163
Location
Wilmslow
The 12:30 tomorrow will be going to Edinburgh.
See also https://www.journeycheck.com/avantiwestcoast/
Cancellations to services at Glasgow Central


Due to a fire on property near the railway at Glasgow Central all lines are blocked.
Impact
Train services running to and from this station may be cancelled, delayed by up to 60 minutes or terminated at and started back from Motherwell. Glasgow Central will not be served. Disruption is expected until the end of the day on 17/03/26.
Customer Advice
No trains running to / from Glasgow Central check before you travel
No trains will be running to and from Glasgow Central due to an emergency services incident at the station on Sunday 8 March.
An amended train service will run to Preston, Carlisle and Motherwell, enabling customers to connect with trains to Edinburgh and local services to the Glasgow area. Customers are strongly encouraged to check before they travel.

Any customers with tickets dated 8-19 March can be used at no extra cost on any Avanti West Coast service on the same route until the end of Thursday 19 March. Alternatively, if you abandoned your journey as a result of the disruption you can claim a fee-free refund from where you bought your ticket.'

You can use your ticket on the following train companies at no extra cost:

ScotRail between Glasgow Queen St and Edinburgh in both directions
ScotRail between Motherwell and Argyle St in both directions
ScotRail between Motherwell and Anderston in both directions
ScotRail between Glasgow Central Low Level and Motherwell in both directions.
Cross Country between Birmingham and Edinburgh in both directions
TransPennine Express between Preston and Edinburgh in both directions (mutual)
If I were you, I would change at Edinburgh for Glasgow as above.
 

MrChips69

Member
Joined
28 Apr 2023
Messages
13
Location
London
The 12:30 tomorrow will be going to Edinburgh.
See also https://www.journeycheck.com/avantiwestcoast/

If I were you, I would change at Edinburgh for Glasgow as above.
Thanks for this input.

From what I can tell, travelling through to Edinburgh and then catching a train from there to Glasgow will result in arrival at Glasgow at 18:21 (best case).

The 14:54 from Preston will reach Glasgow at 17:21.

Is there a reason you're recommending the Edinburgh option instead? Or is it that the 14:54 won't actually be running?

If the latter, it looks like the 11:30 from Euston might be a better bet (change at Motherwell). Would I be allowed to switch onto that service with my advance ticket?
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,163
Location
Wilmslow
Thanks for this input.

From what I can tell, travelling through to Edinburgh and then catching a train from there to Glasgow will result in arrival at Glasgow at 18:21 (best case).

The 14:54 from Preston will reach Glasgow at 17:21.

Is there a reason you're recommending the Edinburgh option instead? Or is it that the 14:54 won't actually be running?

If the latter, it looks like the 11:30 from Euston might be a better bet (change at Motherwell). Would I be allowed to switch onto that service with my advance ticket?
Just read the quote I already posted, yes, you can use any service.

I would personally rather sit in comfort to Edinburgh rather than be decanted into a possible scrum at Preston, but it’s your choice.

The 14:54 from Preston will only go as far as Motherwell if Glasgow Central has not reopened.
 

MrChips69

Member
Joined
28 Apr 2023
Messages
13
Location
London
I think best to move my ticket to the 11:30 from Euston and change at Motherwell. Should get me to Glasgow around my original time.

Now more worried about how I get home on Wednesday night (original messaging implied it would be sorted by beginning of this week)!
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,163
Location
Wilmslow
Just read the quote I already posted, yes, you can use any service.

I would personally rather sit in comfort to Edinburgh rather than be decanted into a possible scrum at Preston, but it’s your choice.

The 14:54 from Preston will only go as far as Motherwell if Glasgow Central has not reopened.
The 14:54 from Preston is only going as far as Motherwell today, as expected. I think you made the right choice.
 

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,490
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
Meanwhile, today's misery has been further south, around Preston! I genuinely count myself lucky these days if I complete a long-distance journey without significant incident.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,569
Location
Lichfield
Meanwhile, today's misery has been further south, around Preston! I genuinely count myself lucky these days if I complete a long-distance journey without significant incident.

Indeed, I agree.

We're lucky if we have a week where the WCML doesn't suffer some kind of meltdown.
 

Skiddaw

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2020
Messages
482
Location
Penrith
Meanwhile, today's misery has been further south, around Preston! I genuinely count myself lucky these days if I complete a long-distance journey without significant incident.
Me too. It's a real bonus if I get down south to visit my best friend and back without some sort of massive issue and I only make the journey three or four times per year!
 

Andrew S

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2018
Messages
187
I've just travelled from Glasgow Central to London on Avanti and it was very pleasant. Well organised entry/exit/queueing arrangements, plenty of friendly staff on hand, no issues with taking a different train to the one I'd booked (which started at Motherwell).
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,986
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
I've just travelled from Glasgow Central to London on Avanti and it was very pleasant. Well organised entry/exit/queueing arrangements, plenty of friendly staff on hand, no issues with taking a different train to the one I'd booked (which started at Motherwell).

Likewise. I got the 11:36 to Preston with a ticket for the 13:33, which had both a full ticket check and a revenue officer check, and all went swimmingly. Excellent service today, kudos to Avanti and to Glasgow Central for getting everything organised and running.
 

mmh

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2016
Messages
4,307
Not cancellation but you can rebook, repeatedly if you want, provided it is done by 1300 on the booked day of arrival. You can get a partial refund by finding the cheapest date to move it to (look for a Thursday or Sunday night a few months out) as they refund the difference if the new night(s) are cheaper. There is no change fee, just the difference in price.

There is a "non flex" rate that can neither be rebooked nor refunded, but that isn't always offered, in my observation only very close to the day of arrival - I've always seen it booking on the day but near enough never do if booking a few weeks out or more.

Travelodge aren't as generous, there's a £10 fee and they don't refund the difference if cheaper, so you want to look for a night that costs the same.
I'd just like to say thank you very much for this advice, it's just come in useful to me. I've changed the dates of a non-refundable Travelodge booking - in the past before I knew you could do this I've just put the money lost down to bad luck.

As you say, Travelodge don't refund if changing to a cheaper room (you also can't change the hotel), but handily I knew a date where I need to stay there again. Since you posted they have increased the change fee to £12.50 though.
 

Top