• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travel advice & experiences during the Glasgow Central disruption

Buzby

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2023
Messages
1,691
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
I was booked to travel tomorrow to Sheffield via TPE to Manchester then EMR. This won’t happen due to the closure, TPE say there’s ticket acceptance to Edinburgh on ScotRail and southbound TPE from Edinburgh.

My issue is I can get to Sheffield by both LNER and CrossCountry, but there’s no acceptance.

Anyone more versed on the available permutations available to get me there?

Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,809
Location
Central Belt
In terms of trains yes.
Sheffield - Doncaster, Doncaster - Edinburgh and then Edinburgh - Glasgow Queen Street with various operators.

Likewise you can use XC direct from Sheffield - Edinburgh then Scotrail to Queen Street

what specific tickets do you have - acceptance isn't too clear. I would be amazed if you were blocked if you hare doing a sheffield - Glasgow journey considering the situation.
 

Buzby

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2023
Messages
1,691
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
Sadly the 2 main TOCs on the ECML are LNER & XC both not offering acceptance of my Advance ticket when service was cancelled at 1100 this morning. From Glasgow I can use ScotRail to Edinburgh then TPE to Preston, Northern to Manchester, then try a pick up the EMR service, but I’m going from a booked single change to almost 4!
 

Buzby

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2023
Messages
1,691
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
I used the Forum site for the originals. Looking again, the cost is now double! So making use of acceptance seems the only cost-effective way forward!
 

cheshlanc

Member
Joined
8 Oct 2025
Messages
10
Location
Cheshire
Is the probable effect on tomorrow's Avanti services known yet? National Rail is still suggesting the 0617 Warrington Bank Quay to Glasgow will be running as usual (clearly impossible) but some trains were being terminated at Preston today. I'll be travelling to Lancaster, what are my chances of getting beyond Preston?
 

mmh

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2016
Messages
4,293
Is the probable effect on tomorrow's Avanti services known yet? National Rail is still suggesting the 0617 Warrington Bank Quay to Glasgow will be running as usual (clearly impossible) but some trains were being terminated at Preston today. I'll be travelling to Lancaster, what are my chances of getting beyond Preston?
I would guess it's likely you'll have to go via Edinburgh, or via Motherwell and change onto the Central low level service for wherever's most convenient (Argyle Street is nearest if your final destination is the Central / nearby)
 

Pacef8

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2020
Messages
479
Location
Wirral
Booked to go to glasgow on the one train that runs from liverpool in the morning . Could we use our tickets and just go to carlisle instead ?
 

cheshlanc

Member
Joined
8 Oct 2025
Messages
10
Location
Cheshire
I would guess it's likely you'll have to go via Edinburgh, or via Motherwell and change onto the Central low level service for wherever's most convenient (Argyle Street is nearest if your final destination is the Central / nearby)

Thank you - but to clarify, I'm only going as far as Lancaster (on the 0617 to Glasgow), my question is what the chances are of services that are meant to terminate at Glasgow running through to Edinburgh like some did today? Or will they be terminating at Preston like others did?
 

teaspoon

Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
77
Thank you - but to clarify, I'm only going as far as Lancaster (on the 0617 to Glasgow), my question is what the chances are of services that are meant to terminate at Glasgow running through to Edinburgh like some did today? Or will they be terminating at Preston like others did?

Many of Avanti's services terminated at Motherwell, and I'd imagine it'll be a similar situation tomorrow.

(I'm heading south this evening and could have gone that way, but a reasonably-priced Seatfrog upgrade tempted me to go through to Edinburgh instead)
 

cheshlanc

Member
Joined
8 Oct 2025
Messages
10
Location
Cheshire
Many of Avanti's services terminated at Motherwell, and I'd imagine it'll be a similar situation tomorrow.

(I'm heading south this evening and could have gone that way, but a reasonably-priced Seatfrog upgrade tempted me to go through to Edinburgh instead)

Hopefully that happens tomorrow then!
 

D1537

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2019
Messages
2,086
Location
North Yorkshire
Thank you - but to clarify, I'm only going as far as Lancaster (on the 0617 to Glasgow), my question is what the chances are of services that are meant to terminate at Glasgow running through to Edinburgh like some did today? Or will they be terminating at Preston like others did?
The Preston issues today were mostly because of a trespassing incident. The 0617 should run to at least Carlisle tomorrow. Basically the plan is that the hourly Euston-Glasgow direct trains run to Motherwell and the ones that go via Birmingham terminate at Carlisle. Edinburgh trains should be unaffected.
 

mmh

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2016
Messages
4,293
Thank you - but to clarify, I'm only going as far as Lancaster (on the 0617 to Glasgow), my question is what the chances are of services that are meant to terminate at Glasgow running through to Edinburgh like some did today? Or will they be terminating at Preston like others did?
My apologies, I completely overlooked that you said you were going to Lancaster! Sorry about that.
 

Krokodil

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2023
Messages
6,604
Location
Wales
The 0617 should run to at least Carlisle tomorrow. Basically the plan is that the hourly Euston-Glasgow direct trains run to Motherwell and the ones that go via Birmingham terminate at Carlisle.
I hope that those who complain about Avanti cutting off everything north of Preston whenever there's an issue affecting only part of the line are taking note.
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,367
I hope that those who complain about Avanti cutting off everything north of Preston whenever there's an issue affecting only part of the line are taking note.
To be fair, they seem to have been making more of an effort recently.

AFAIK, the last infamous "Do Not Travel North of Preston" was issued last year. If this had happened 6 months ago, I've not doubt at all they'd have acted differently to now.
 

D1511

Established Member
Joined
29 Jul 2023
Messages
1,215
Location
WCML N
I hope that those who complain about Avanti cutting off everything north of Preston whenever there's an issue affecting only part of the line are taking note.
To be fair, they seem to have been making more of an effort recently.

AFAIK, the last infamous "Do Not Travel North of Preston" was issued last year. If this had happened 6 months ago, I've not doubt at all they'd have acted differently to now.
9S80 was cancelled at Preston on Wednesday last week, with me on board. So they're still happy to do it when it's operationally convenient for them. At least they didn't run it ECS to Edinburgh once they'd thrown off the passengers though, as they've done to me before.
With all the grief at Central, perhaps they'll make a special effort to run all the Edinburghs at least for the next few days... .
 

Acathater

Member
Joined
11 Dec 2025
Messages
736
Location
NorthWest
Thank you - but to clarify, I'm only going as far as Lancaster (on the 0617 to Glasgow), my question is what the chances are of services that are meant to terminate at Glasgow running through to Edinburgh like some did today? Or will they be terminating at Preston like others did?
If the train is stopped at Preston the Northern Barrow and Windermere services should still be running
 

Krokodil

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2023
Messages
6,604
Location
Wales
9S80 was cancelled at Preston on Wednesday last week, with me on board. So they're still happy to do it when it's operationally convenient for them.
Presumably that was down to inbound crew being displaced by problems north of Carlisle. Altering trains because you've got no one to work them is rather different to throwing the towel in on the whole service because only part of the route is blocked.
 

AY1975

Established Member
Joined
14 Dec 2016
Messages
2,183
Hopefully Glasgow Central will have reopened by Wednesday of next week when I'm due to travel to Glasgow for the day with TransPennine, but if not, I presume I will be able to put in a claim for a cancelled journey if I decide not to make the journey at all.

Or if I decide still to make the journey as far as Carlisle, would I be able to claim a partial refund? And would I have to go to Carlisle as that would be where my train would terminate and I hold a ticket to Glasgow, or would I be allowed to alight at an intermediate station such as Lancaster or Oxenholme and spend the day there instead?
 

Pacef8

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2020
Messages
479
Location
Wirral
I have asked the same but trans pennine would give the definitive answer i guess. The glasgow train from liverpool didnt even appear on realtrains website this morning.
 

enginedin

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2020
Messages
473
Location
UK
I was booked to travel tomorrow to Sheffield via TPE to Manchester then EMR. This won’t happen due to the closure, TPE say there’s ticket acceptance to Edinburgh on Scotrsil and southbound TPE from Edinburgh
I realise this might have been yesterday, but there was (and still is) ticket acceptance with Avanti and Northern, so you could have got to Manchester, at which point you would then have been on your original route to Sheffield.

As @Failed Unit says, I can't imagine any ticket which is to, or via, Glasgow at the moment is going to be rejected by any TOC
 

Solweytracker

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2020
Messages
51
Location
UK
The TPE Edinburgh to Manchester/Preston WCML services have taken a bad hit today (and yesterday) as a result of the fire adjacent to Glasgow Central. According to RealtimeTrains only 3 are running each way, compared to the normal 7 e.w.

The 8 e.w. TPE Edinburgh to Newcastle ECML services appear fully scheduled according to timetable and running smoothly.

Can anyone shed more light on exactly why TPE are having to withdraw the Edinburgh WCML services? I am aware that the official websites refer to staff displaced at Glasgow Central, but this knock-on effect on an obvious alternative routeing for a second day is concerning.
 

Acathater

Member
Joined
11 Dec 2025
Messages
736
Location
NorthWest
The TPE Edinburgh to Manchester/Preston WCML services have taken a bad hit today (and yesterday) as a result of the fire adjacent to Glasgow Central. According to RealtimeTrains only 3 are running each way, compared to the normal 7 e.w.

The 8 e.w. TPE Edinburgh to Newcastle ECML services appear fully scheduled according to timetable and running smoothly.

Can anyone shed more light on exactly why TPE are having to withdraw the Edinburgh WCML services? I am aware that the official websites refer to staff displaced at Glasgow Central, but this knock-on effect on an obvious alternative routeing for a second day is concerning.
Only a guess but are the Edinburgh trains handled by Glasgow crew?
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,326
Location
Glasgow
The TPE Edinburgh to Manchester/Preston WCML services have taken a bad hit today (and yesterday) as a result of the fire adjacent to Glasgow Central. According to RealtimeTrains only 3 are running each way, compared to the normal 7 e.w.

The 8 e.w. TPE Edinburgh to Newcastle ECML services appear fully scheduled according to timetable and running smoothly.

Can anyone shed more light on exactly why TPE are having to withdraw the Edinburgh WCML services? I am aware that the official websites refer to staff displaced at Glasgow Central, but this knock-on effect on an obvious alternative routeing for a second day is concerning.
Only a guess but are the Edinburgh trains handled by Glasgow crew?
TPE don't have a depot in Edinburgh, so the WCML services are all crewed by either Glasgow or Preston.

The TPE Edinburgh/Newcastle are Glasgow or Newcastle drivers and perhaps there's some slack at Newcastle that can be used to cover those diagrams Glasgow would work.
 

Buzby

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2023
Messages
1,691
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
As @Failed Unit says, I can't imagine any ticket which is to, or via, Glasgow
I decided to set off early, head to Edinburgh and see what was suggested. No issues with my (clearly incorrect) tickets when scanned by train staff, however at Waverley staff opened the manual gates and loudly told ’West Coast’ passengers NOT to scan tickets because the barriers would reject them.

My original ticket was TPE (Glasgow to Manchester) and EMR (Manchester to Sheffield). Finding a TPE bod, he suggested I take a TPE train to Newcastle which left in 30 minutes. Train staff said nobody would have an issue with Glasgow passengers, and there was a TPE service heading to Liverpool, and if I bailed out at Leeds, I could get a Northern express service to Sheffield (ticket acceptance permitted). I had a journey on 4 trains with 3 changes and arrived 90 minutes earlier than using my west coast route! (Even then I was told to claim Delay Repay for the inconvenience!).

With Central not reopening for my return on Friday, I’ll be doing something similar on the way back - I was really impressed with all staff I was in contact with and the resilience of the network, not only that it was FUN, and felt like I had an any train Rover!
 

Pacef8

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2020
Messages
479
Location
Wirral
I guess you cannot claim for Fridays cancelled service from liverpool to glasgow . Even though the station has announced it will not be open by then ?
 

Buzby

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2023
Messages
1,691
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
I guess you cannot claim for Fridays cancelled service from liverpool to glasgow
Already received an email confirming my return Sheffield to Manchester & Manchester to Glasgow (both TPE) are cancelled. My best alternative option will be Sheffield to York & York to Edinburgh (both XC) then ScotRail Edinburgh to Glasgow QS. Unsure if TPE will have ticket acceptance in place but then, but I‘m willing to argue my case if challenged!
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,938
Location
Mold, Clwyd
The TPE Edinburgh to Manchester/Preston WCML services have taken a bad hit today (and yesterday) as a result of the fire adjacent to Glasgow Central. According to RealtimeTrains only 3 are running each way, compared to the normal 7 e.w.

The 8 e.w. TPE Edinburgh to Newcastle ECML services appear fully scheduled according to timetable and running smoothly.

Can anyone shed more light on exactly why TPE are having to withdraw the Edinburgh WCML services? I am aware that the official websites refer to staff displaced at Glasgow Central, but this knock-on effect on an obvious alternative routeing for a second day is concerning.
I don't know the background but Avanti have diverted some Glasgow (via Birmingham) trains to/from Edinburgh, and may be using the cancelled TPE paths to do that.
This hasn't been specifically publicised, but it may be because of limited capacity to turn trains at Motherwell.
 

MontyP

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2015
Messages
539
Travelling from London to Glasgow later today - is the best way to go LNER via Edinburgh, or Avanti to Motherwell and then the ScotRail local? Is there any problem getting on the local at Motherwell? A colleague of mine travelled earlier in the week and he had heard stories of 1-2 hour waits at Motherwell
 

Top