• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TransPennine Trains - Trainee Driver Recruitment Discussion

KaneLeb

Member
Joined
9 Jul 2025
Messages
60
Location
ECML
Anybody looking at the Newcastle depot had any news? The sporadic rejections makes me anxious!
I applied for the Newcastle depot and haven't heard anything since the error checking test, so I'm in the same anxious boat as you! I imagine these processes take time and that it's a game of hope and patience haha.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dsmith97

New Member
Joined
25 Jul 2025
Messages
3
Location
durham
I applied for the Newcastle depot and haven't heard anything since the error checking test, so I'm in the same anxious boat as you! I imagine these processes take time and that it's a game of hope and patience haha.
Best of luck to us!
 

Jacko1986

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2025
Messages
18
Location
York
I think the AI interview is a big thing for this recruitment drive.
I sailed through everything last time round with TPE, have full enhanced psychometrics and have passed the error checking every time I’ve done it (4 times in my ‘applying career’) doing about 38 out of 50 each time, but just had my rejection. Piccadilly depot.
Have the previous times that you have applied with TPE been for a driver role?
 

MH117

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2024
Messages
55
Location
sheffield
Have the previous times that you have applied with TPE been for a driver role?
Yea

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Only once for TPE though, the other times I’ve done the same error checking were for other companies
 

GPR

Member
Joined
16 Oct 2011
Messages
233
Location
Liverpool
I think the AI interview is a big thing for this recruitment drive.
I sailed through everything last time round with TPE, have full enhanced psychometrics and have passed the error checking every time I’ve done it (4 times in my ‘applying career’) doing about 38 out of 50 each time, but just had my rejection. Piccadilly depot.
Your profile says you are from Sheffield.
Sheffield to Man Pic on a weekday takes 1hr 15 to 2 hours according to google maps.
Could you have been rejected because of travelling time?
 

MH117

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2024
Messages
55
Location
sheffield
Your profile says you are from Sheffield.
Sheffield to Man Pic on a weekday takes 1hr 15 to 2 hours according to google maps.
Could you have been rejected because of travelling time?
That address is outdated I live in Manchester now within walking distance of Piccadilly. My application had my current manc address also

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

The AI must have really hated me ha
 

GPR

Member
Joined
16 Oct 2011
Messages
233
Location
Liverpool
That address is outdated I live in Manchester now within walking distance of Piccadilly. My application had my current manc address also
Ah ok. Just coming at it from the commute angle.
God knows what or who they want.
Like you say, I think the AI process of it has a part to play in it too. Certain indicators they are looking for.
 
Last edited:

Jacko1986

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2025
Messages
18
Location
York
Did you get the hiring manager email? I didn’t get it and trying to work out if it’s a good thing or bad
No i didn't get that email. The only thing of note i got was the email asking for my NI number.
 

Northrail127

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2024
Messages
52
Location
Newcastle upon Tyne
Newcastle applicant here.

Just got the email requesting NI number
I have also received this email. States that they want it to check the National database for psychometric testing. I am hoping my ‘enhanced’ pass with Northern in February will be enough for me to skip the psychometric testing for TPE.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
I have also received this email. States that they want it to check the National database for psychometric testing. I am hoping my ‘enhanced’ pass with Northern in February will be enough for me to skip the psychometric testing for TPE.
It should be, if not you're in an awkward spot if the dates for testing are inside 6 months of your previous testing
 

Pintman

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2023
Messages
191
Location
The Pub
You may have failed to TPE's standard (hopefully not, obviously) in which case you wouldn't be able to resit for them for a year
 
Last edited:

Arne

Member
Joined
11 Jun 2025
Messages
29
Location
Blaydon
Not had anything yet for Newcastle
Same here. Makes me think if some Newcastle people are definitely out, and some are definitely in, we might be reserves maybe if some of the first choices can't go forward for any reason
 

Fokx

Established Member
Joined
19 Jul 2019
Messages
1,636
Location
Liverpool
I have also received this email. States that they want it to check the National database for psychometric testing. I am hoping my ‘enhanced’ pass with Northern in February will be enough for me to skip the psychometric testing for TPE.
The comprehension based test (sorry I've forgot the exact name of it) - the one where you read a paragraph of text and then answer a series of questions - is different at TPE than at other TOCs.

Rather than information about Glop, you read two pages of local instructions, customer service based solutions and from my own vague memory have a series of colour coded keys and locks that all perform different functions.
 

Northrail127

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2024
Messages
52
Location
Newcastle upon Tyne
That doesn’t mean the purpose of them said tests are different. I’d imagine all TOCs have a slight twist on the information you read and have to remember whilst answering questions. The Standard of the psychometrics is set by OPC, how you get there may differ.

TOCs like TPE, Northern and LNER for example all adapt there pass mark to an ‘Enhanced’ standard but will also tell you if you’ve passed to a National Standard if failing the ‘Enhanced’

I didn’t do Glop in mine. I won’t go into what I did but it wasn’t Glop.
 

QuickLacaag

New Member
Joined
25 Jul 2025
Messages
1
Location
Manchester
If I have applied to 2 different sites e.g manchester and Preston. Is it normal to hear rejection from man picc and no reply from Preston.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

If I have applied to 2 different sites e.g manchester and Preston. Is it normal to hear rejection from man picc and no reply from Preston.
Do they liase with each other to sieve out double applicants
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
If I have applied to 2 different sites e.g manchester and Preston. Is it normal to hear rejection from man picc and no reply from Preston.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Do they liase with each other to sieve out double applicants
It's all with HR and they will likely be treated as 2 separate applications if you've applied/sat the tests independently from each other.

If you've only done one set of tests you may have to check the status of your application on the recruitment portal
 

iwasyoungonce

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2019
Messages
288
Location
uk
The comprehension based test (sorry I've forgot the exact name of it) - the one where you read a paragraph of text and then answer a series of questions - is different at TPE than at other TOCs.

Rather than information about Glop, you read two pages of local instructions, customer service based solutions and from my own vague memory have a series of colour coded keys and locks that all perform different functions.
How long have TPE had their own version ?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I did say 'increasingly rare' not that it doesn't happen. We had an internal only 3 years ago, won't be another one now though as talent pool is full
But you've just had an internal pass out this month at Piccadilly ?
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
How long have TPE had their own version ?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


But you've just had an internal pass out this month at Piccadilly ?
My TOC isn't at Pic. But at Crewe, we've just had 2 internal applicants pass out. And of the 18 currently hired and being trained as drivers, only 2 were internal hires. So certainly for my TOC, there won't be any internal only hires in the next few years if ever.
 

iwasyoungonce

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2019
Messages
288
Location
uk
My TOC isn't at Pic. But at Crewe, we've just had 2 internal applicants pass out. And of the 18 currently hired and being trained as drivers, only 2 were internal hires. So certainly for my TOC, there won't be any internal only hires in the next few years if ever.
Ahh fair enough.

I do feel TPE are doing a fair job of balancing their recruitment of drivers via internal, qualified and off the street.
 

Top