• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TransPennine Trains - Trainee Driver Recruitment Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotty22

New Member
Joined
21 Jul 2025
Messages
2
Location
Crewe
Unfortunately rejection for picadilly.....gutted and just wish I knew what it failed on! Good luck to anyone who gets selected.
 

M2025

Member
Joined
22 Jul 2025
Messages
7
Location
Newcastle
Finally made an account after stalking the online forums. Just to say I also got a rejection from Newcastle yesterday.
 

dxb1200

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2025
Messages
15
Location
Newcastle
I’m so sorry to hear about those who have received rejection emails! Never forget how competitive roles like these are (basically less than 1% chance of success with regards to applicant numbers and available positions) so don’t feel too disheartened.

Just remember the systematic approach TOCs use for sifting applications doesn’t necessarily accurately reflect your personality or suitability for the role. Keep steaming ahead, home in that dedication and I’m sure everyone will fulfil their dream one day
 

Irish Rail

Member
Joined
2 Sep 2019
Messages
50
Location
Newcastle
I’m so sorry to hear about those who have received rejection emails! Never forget how competitive roles like these are (basically less than 1% chance of success with regards to applicant numbers and available positions) so don’t feel too disheartened.

Just remember the systematic approach TOCs use for sifting applications doesn’t necessarily accurately reflect your personality or suitability for the role. Keep steaming ahead, home in that dedication and I’m sure everyone will fulfil their dream one day
With a less than 1% chance, I wouldn’t be as positive that everyone will live the dream, but that’s my opinion.
 

dxb1200

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2025
Messages
15
Location
Newcastle
With a less than 1% chance, I wouldn’t be as positive that everyone will live the dream, but that’s my opinion.
Just trying to be positive for those who have been unlucky this time round.

Though I do have to disagree, being a big advocate for self development myself I disagree with you that it is unattainable… I believe with the right mindset and effort it is more than achievable, and this doesn’t have to include driver apprenticeships. There are routes through the industry and internal recruitment so if somebody wanted to become a driver that much, they would sacrifice a few years of their career to achieve this.

Never underestimate the power of the mind
 

scotty22

New Member
Joined
21 Jul 2025
Messages
2
Location
Crewe
Just trying to be positive for those who have been unlucky this time round.

Though I do have to disagree, being a big advocate for self development myself I disagree with you that it is unattainable… I believe with the right mindset and effort it is more than achievable, and this doesn’t have to include driver apprenticeships. There are routes through the industry and internal recruitment so if somebody wanted to become a driver that much, they would sacrifice a few years of their career to achieve this.

Never underestimate the power of the mind
I agree with you, I also wonder if internal applicants have a better chance than external.? It was my first attempt and the AI interview was new to me. I feel this is where ive been unsuccessful. But like you say just got to keep applying.
 

mulder

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2014
Messages
9
Only got invited to do the checking test today - and rejection email a few hours after doing it. All very quick - Preston.
 

Northrail127

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2024
Messages
52
Location
Newcastle upon Tyne
Just out of curiosity barring the one person who said they did the error checking and then got a rejection email fairly quickly. How long ago did people do the questions/test before receiving the rejection email? In particular Newcastle. TIA
 

Bandit_David

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2023
Messages
25
Location
Lancashire
Just out of curiosity barring the one person who said they did the error checking and then got a rejection email fairly quickly. How long ago did people do the questions/test before receiving the rejection email? In particular Newcastle. TIA
I contacted the recruiting email the Saturday prior (5/07) to the deadline as I hadn't had a link and they sent me one on that day and completed it on the same day but haven't heard anything yet. Preston.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
I agree with you, I also wonder if internal applicants have a better chance than external.? It was my first attempt and the AI interview was new to me. I feel this is where ive been unsuccessful. But like you say just got to keep applying.
It's becoming increasingly rare for internal candidates to be given any sort of priority. Most TOCs have done away with the old style vertical progression planning.

There are still some that like to progress station/platform staff to guard roles, but they don't do guard to driver, they seem them as very separate roles now.

Still see some internal only listings but rarely.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Just out of curiosity barring the one person who said they did the error checking and then got a rejection email fairly quickly. How long ago did people do the questions/test before receiving the rejection email? In particular Newcastle. TIA
There's been quite a few. Loads has responses to the error test within an hour or so. There's been a wait after the hiring manager stage though.
 

camc2k

Member
Joined
21 Jul 2025
Messages
8
Location
Newcastle
Just out of curiosity barring the one person who said they did the error checking and then got a rejection email fairly quickly. How long ago did people do the questions/test before receiving the rejection email? In particular Newcastle. TIA
Done application/questions 20th June

Error checking 27th June

Not heard anything since
 

iwasyoungonce

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2019
Messages
288
Location
uk
It's becoming increasingly rare for internal candidates to be given any sort of priority. Most TOCs have done away with the old style vertical progression planning.

There are still some that like to progress station/platform staff to guard roles, but they don't do guard to driver, they seem them as very separate roles now.

Still see some internal only listings but rarely.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


There's been quite a few. Loads has responses to the error test within an hour or so. There's been a wait after the hiring manager stage though.
January this year... Trainee Drivers at Scarborough, Newcastle and Hull Internal only
 

starshine81

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2025
Messages
7
Location
gateshead
Another rejection for Newcastle today. :( Took about a week and a half to hear back after doing the error checking test.
Not sure if it makes anyone with rejections feel any better, but I’ve heard from a few people (including a close friend who works for them) that they only had one spot to fill at Newcastle. I guess you never know if they already have an internal or someone in mind/earmarked for it already.
Gutted but hey ho. For those that haven’t heard back yet, wishing you the best of luck!
 

Irish Rail

Member
Joined
2 Sep 2019
Messages
50
Location
Newcastle
Usually what happens is that they advertise internally first. If they don’t hire internally as no one suitable/passes tests or an interview, they then advertise externally.
 

Lengthman

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
35
Usually what happens is that they advertise internally first. If they don’t hire internally as no one suitable/passes tests or an interview, they then advertise externally.
That’s not the case in this instance. Only Glasgow was advertised internally, every other depot was advertised to both internal & external candidates at the same time.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
January this year... Trainee Drivers at Scarborough, Newcastle and Hull Internal only
I did say 'increasingly rare' not that it doesn't happen. We had an internal only 3 years ago, won't be another one now though as talent pool is full
 

Fishplate22

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2022
Messages
20
Location
Yorkshire
In my experience internals took priority over externals when it came to start dates and maybe interview dates but iv never known a toc hire internal only as that would mess up other parts of the company for example if they hired loads of guards they would then need to replace them
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
In my experience internals took priority over externals when it came to start dates and maybe interview dates but iv never known a toc hire internal only as that would mess up other parts of the company for example if they hired loads of guards they would then need to replace them
My experience is very different internal only does happen at my TOC occasionally, and often internal applicants struggle to get a date off work to attend testing as simply can't have 10 staff off for testing so some simply can't attend which is abysmal.

Definitely preference for external applicants at my TOC now
 

NorthernTech

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2021
Messages
744
Location
Uk
In my experience internals took priority over externals when it came to start dates and maybe interview dates but iv never known a toc hire internal only as that would mess up other parts of the company for example if they hired loads of guards they would then need to replace them
Merseyrail have a direct promotion up from the guard grade. Very rarely do they need to hire externally.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
That’s what I’m saying but when there’s both internal and external internal take priority through the process
They don't though. Certainly not from my experience. Merseyrail works differently as they almost exclusively hire low and promote. I've never seen a driver advert even working for the same wider company. Can't even move as a PQ driver from within Abellio to Merseyrail
 

Top