• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TransPennine Trains - Trainee Driver Recruitment Discussion

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,633
Location
Crewe
Is there anything else I should know?
For this stage? Not really. It's always good to have a decent understanding/level of knowledge about the company and it's routes but there's plenty of time to do that.

Happy to provide tips for psychometrics once invites start to be sent out and if anyone is unsure of anything ask away, can guarantee someone else thinking the same thing!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

omalleys

Member
Joined
30 Jun 2025
Messages
24
Location
Manchester
I applied for Man Pic and got my error checking test sent to me yesterday. Just completed it now and got an instant email saying application under review and currently with the hiring manager. It feels like an auto generated email so unsure if it's a good or bad sign
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,633
Location
Crewe
I applied for Man Pic and got my error checking test sent to me yesterday. Just completed it now and got an instant email saying application under review and currently with the hiring manager. It feels like an auto generated email so unsure if it's a good or bad sign
So far people have either received that email, a rejection email or no response at all.

AFAIK nobody has received an under review email and then subsequently rejected, so I'd say it's a pass.
 

Pete101

New Member
Joined
9 Jul 2025
Messages
3
Location
Piccadilly
So far people have either received that email, a rejection email or no response at all.

AFAIK nobody has received an under review email and then subsequently rejected, so I'd say it's a pass.
Just done my error checking, got the "under review by hiring manger"

Again it seems auto generated but I'm hoping it might be an .... ok sign
 

CarlG

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2022
Messages
34
Location
Darlington
Hi all,

I got an invite to do error checking. It says I have 48 hours to do it, is this right? As I'm away for longer than this without computer access.

Is it possible to do it on your phone?

Tia
I was in the same situation last week, emailed them and explained and they said that's OK, just complete it as soon as possible.
 

adam1112

Member
Joined
1 Jul 2025
Messages
8
Location
Bolton
For this stage? Not really. It's always good to have a decent understanding/level of knowledge about the company and it's routes but there's plenty of time to do that.

Happy to provide tips for psychometrics once invites start to be sent out and if anyone is unsure of anything ask away, can guarantee someone else thinking the same thing!
Yes please if you can dm me and let me know the tips.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,633
Location
Crewe
Yes please if you can dm me and let me know the tips.
As I said, I'll share some tips I learned from the 2 times I passed them once invites for that stage start going out.

I'll put them on here for whoever wants them, not fair to DM a select few. (I won't be sharing answers etc for obvious reasons)
 

KaneLeb

Member
Joined
9 Jul 2025
Messages
60
Location
ECML
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. Applied for the trainee driver role last week & got the invite to do the error checking test yesterday - which I completed an hour ago.

I definitely did my best on this, so just crossing my fingers.

I wish everyone who's applied all the best!
 

Lewis423

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2018
Messages
43
Has everyone had the standard email to let them know that the application is with the hiring managers ?
by the sounds of it theres a few that haven't had anything since completing the error checking assessment.
 

rhea12

New Member
Joined
9 Jul 2025
Messages
3
Location
castleford
Nah I didn’t get any email at all from after error checking so unsure what’s happening maybe our applications haven’t be sift through yet or something or teetering on the edge and someone else might just take it, just guessing not sure at all could be anything
Has everyone had the standard email to let them know that the application is with the hiring managers ?
 

rhea12

New Member
Joined
9 Jul 2025
Messages
3
Location
castleford
Which depots is everyone applied for I’ve seen some unsuccessful from newcastle and manc/picadilly and some of the generic emails too but yorks been radio silent since error checking for a few I think
 

LU2NR

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2025
Messages
28
Location
Lancs
Good luck everyone. Do they hold the assessments for everyone in the same place?
People have mentioned taking tests in previous campaigns in centres/hotels in Leeds & Sheffield. Depends on the depot I guess.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

For this stage? Not really. It's always good to have a decent understanding/level of knowledge about the company and it's routes but there's plenty of time to do that.

Happy to provide tips for psychometrics once invites start to be sent out and if anyone is unsure of anything ask away, can guarantee someone else thinking the same thing!
Many thanks. Would you say most of the tests are “you’ve either got it or you ain’t” or can they all be prepared for. Worth buying practice materials from those sites?
 

tulip

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2025
Messages
50
Location
north west
People have mentioned taking tests in previous campaigns in centres/hotels in Leeds & Sheffield. Depends on the depot I guess.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Many thanks. Would you say most of the tests are “you’ve either got it or you ain’t” or can they all be prepared for. Worth buying practice materials from those sites?
Thanks!
 

zoomzoom123

Member
Joined
3 Jun 2023
Messages
18
Location
UK
I’ve applied for Newcastle and heard nothing back since completing the tests. Had anyone applying for Newcastle heard anything back good or bad?
 

KaneLeb

Member
Joined
9 Jul 2025
Messages
60
Location
ECML
Heard nothing back since doing the error checking. Have you?
I've had nothing either, some people got it instantly but I'm not fretting it. I feel like it's different between depots, as many got their error check email right away after applying & others didn't. Let's all hold hope and keep fingers crossed!
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,633
Location
Crewe
Many thanks. Would you say most of the tests are “you’ve either got it or you ain’t” or can they all be prepared for. Worth buying practice materials from those sites?
Personally I just used the practice materials sent by the TOC with no bother. Definitely need to practice for them, but I wouldn't pay for additional material but that's just me.

There is certainly an element of that, especially the computer section of tests, but I'd say the more you practice how to do the test, the better you'll perform on the day.
 

LU2NR

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2025
Messages
28
Location
Lancs
Personally I just used the practice materials sent by the TOC with no bother. Definitely need to practice for them, but I wouldn't pay for additional material but that's just me.

There is certainly an element of that, especially the computer section of tests, but I'd say the more you practice how to do the test, the better you'll perform on the day.
Many thanks. The sticky threads and group bourdon tools have been very useful. Very grateful for this website/forum
 

DominikM

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2021
Messages
56
Location
Newcastle
Have just completed the error checking test. Managed to get about half of it done. How did everyone else find it?
Done around half as well, I feel like having to scroll slowed me down a bit. Also was caught a little off guard when the section with the airport keys appearing more than once showed up, but I caught on to it before I made any silly mistakes.
 

KaneLeb

Member
Joined
9 Jul 2025
Messages
60
Location
ECML
Done around half as well, I feel like having to scroll slowed me down a bit. Also was caught a little off guard when the section with the airport keys appearing more than once showed up, but I caught on to it before I made any silly mistakes.
Managed to get about half done myself. I weirdly found it quite enjoyable and almost therapeutic to complete (despite the nerves) - that might just be me though haha!
 

Hpvs20

Member
Joined
9 Jul 2025
Messages
9
Location
Manchester
anyone received any updates ? I’ve not had anything from my last automated email saying it was with the hiring managers.
 

Top