• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,551
Location
Taunton or Kent
How far off is the OHLE going live from Church Fenton to at least Micklefield? I assume all that's needed is for the last bit through Church Fenton under the new bridge to be installed then it's ready.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

76020

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2012
Messages
202
They were installed last weekend, in darkness over Saturday night, hence perhaps why no videos of them being installed.
Thanks for the clarification. I live nowhere near the TRU area but I find the upgrade extremely interesting.
 

43095john

Member
Joined
16 Jan 2009
Messages
104
Location
UK
How far off is the OHLE going live from Church Fenton to at least Micklefield? I assume all that's needed is for the last bit through Church Fenton under the new bridge to be installed then it's ready.

Once Church Fenton is done and the gap in wires filled I believe Testing/commissioning for Church Fenton - Micklefield wires is due for December

Imagine Micklefield - Neville Hill East to follow shortly after as most of that is almost complete. Just 3 miles of wires to fit all structures/steelwork already up.

Remaining gap will be Neville Hill area which will stay like that until that gets remodelled
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,551
Location
Taunton or Kent
Once Church Fenton is done and the gap in wires filled I believe Testing/commissioning for Church Fenton - Micklefield wires is due for December

Imagine Micklefield - Neville Hill East to follow shortly after as most of that is almost complete. Just 3 miles of wires to fit all structures/steelwork already up.

Remaining gap will be Neville Hill area which will stay like that until that gets remodelled
Thanks for confirming, I'm guessing some headway on the Micklefield-Neville Hill wires will be made during a couple of upcoming weekend closures through there.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,945
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Just to add, and not really part of TRU, but stove-pipe attachments for OHL cantilevers are now installed on the Rochdale lines from Brownlee St to Miles Platting and beyond.
These will be for the new EMU sidings for terminating eastbound services, rather than in the station platforms at Victoria.
There are still some masts and wall fixings to go up, but mostly it is additions to the existing gantries which span all 4 tracks east of Manchester Victoria.
 
Last edited:

76020

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2012
Messages
202
Thanks for the clarification. I live nowhere near the TRU area but I find the upgrade extremely interesting.
On track with Tim is now updated showing all last weekends
work and a summary of the 16 day blockade.
The old part of the A62 bridge is still there.
The new staircases and footbridge at Deighton have been installed.
 
Last edited:

erikvd28

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2025
Messages
45
Location
Netherlands
Once Church Fenton is done and the gap in wires filled I believe Testing/commissioning for Church Fenton - Micklefield wires is due for December

Imagine Micklefield - Neville Hill East to follow shortly after as most of that is almost complete. Just 3 miles of wires to fit all structures/steelwork already up.

Remaining gap will be Neville Hill area which will stay like that until that gets remodelled
Is that part going to be upgraded to 125mph then?
 

fat_boy_pete

Member
Joined
16 Mar 2015
Messages
385
Location
Essex
On track with Tim is now updated showing all last weekends
work and a summary of the 16 day blockade.
The old part of the A62 bridge is still there.
The new staircases and footbridge at Deighton have been installed.
A link to the 42 minute long video for those who want it.


There is speculation in the comments of this video that the old bridge might be demolished during this weekend's blockade.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,945
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Until this week, and confirmed by Tim's excellent overhead video, I hadn't realised how much curvature there is in Gledholt Tunnel.
You get no feel for that while passing through on a train.
 

Tim_UK

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2019
Messages
227
I had a couple of hours spare in Huddersfield today so went for a look around.

A641 Bradford road - they are still cladding the new concrete bridge.

The viaduct has overhead spans at both ends, but a few missing in the middle.

Deighton has stairs and bridges. They are really hard to see from the road - and below the level of the new car park parapet. I couldn't see if the fast lines installed in Deighton. Chap says they plan to hand the side back to Network Rail in April.

Leeds Road bridge is still there. No fast lines either side. Still groundworks to do either side.

Wheatleys colliery bridge is still shut - I think it is still utilities work.

The 4 tracking is down to Colne Bridge Bridge. Nothing further east. Power supply building is still there.

There are some droppers on gantries visible from Colne Bridge Road to the West.

Feel free to ask questions and I'll post the pictures later.
 

YorksLad12

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2020
Messages
2,724
Location
Leeds
Once Church Fenton is done and the gap in wires filled I believe Testing/commissioning for Church Fenton - Micklefield wires is due for December

Imagine Micklefield - Neville Hill East to follow shortly after as most of that is almost complete. Just 3 miles of wires to fit all structures/steelwork already up.

Remaining gap will be Neville Hill area which will stay like that until that gets remodelled
I'm sure I've seen gaps in the steelwork between Cross Gates and Micklefield, but can't remember where. Not in the office again until Monday, but will have a look. When you're on the train it's difficult to see which wires are up, but missing masts are fairly obvious.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,731
Location
West Riding
Just to add, and not really part of TRU, but stove-pipe attachments for OHL cantilevers are now installed on the Rochdale lines from Brownlee St to Miles Platting and beyond.
These will be for the new EMU sidings for terminating eastbound services, rather than in the station platforms at Victoria.
There are still some masts and wall fixings to go up, but mostly it is additions to the existing gantries which span all 4 tracks east of Manchester Victoria.
Thanks for this update, I noticed the work on those sidings this week, but wasn't sure why. What services could turn around there?
 

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
9,673
I'm sure I've seen gaps in the steelwork between Cross Gates and Micklefield, but can't remember where. Not in the office again until Monday, but will have a look. When you're on the train it's difficult to see which wires are up, but missing masts are fairly obvious.
I should be in Friday I'll take a look. I'm sure last time I checked there wasn't any.
 

KN94

Member
Joined
12 Mar 2025
Messages
72
Location
Stalybridge
Thanks for this update, I noticed the work on those sidings this week, but wasn't sure why. What services could turn around there?
I believe it's to enable a new Northern timetable that splits quite a few services at Manchester Victoria, with them running off into the West Sidings or the new Brewery Sidings rather than taking up platform space.
I want to say May 2027 but that might have slipped.
 

Top