• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tram Driver - Manchester Metrolink - now recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

djj395

New Member
Joined
18 Mar 2014
Messages
2
Just got my assessment on Tuesday 4/8. Does anybody used any preparation tools to get prepared for psychometric test? I dont even know what to expect to be honest. Any help appreciated.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Franqui62

Member
Joined
9 Apr 2015
Messages
10
Just got my assessment on Tuesday 4/8. Does anybody used any preparation tools to get prepared for psychometric test? I dont even know what to expect to be honest. Any help appreciated.
If you look on this site, at becoming a train driver, there are links to practice tests. I was tested on dials and shapes (SCAAT?). It's to test your concentration and ability to follow instructions. You will also have a test on the simulator if you get through the first two tests, an English test, an announcement test, and climbing on and off a tram, plus an interview. Good luck :)
 

martin2345uk

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2011
Messages
2,409
Location
Essex
And I still haven't heard anything apart from two emails saying "please be patient recruitment is ongoing" :(. Looks like I'm in the "only invite if literally no one else is good enough" pile!
 

borisbantam

New Member
Joined
15 Apr 2015
Messages
4
And I still haven't heard anything apart from two emails saying "please be patient recruitment is ongoing" :(. Looks like I'm in the "only invite if literally no one else is good enough" pile!

That'll be me too, to be honest I have given up hope now but I will apply next time
 
Last edited:

woody1812

Member
Joined
17 Jun 2014
Messages
9
Passed my medical starting in august!!

well done brother, get your brain in gear, lots and lots of lists, exam on the Monday of second week, rules and regulations, track safety etc, 100% score required. see ya at trafford
 

507 001

Established Member
Joined
3 Dec 2008
Messages
2,177
Location
Huyton
well done brother, get your brain in gear, lots and lots of lists, exam on the Monday of second week, rules and regulations, track safety etc, 100% score required. see ya at trafford

paaah it used to be an exam on the 3rd day! They've gone soft!
 

Lasgo

Member
Joined
10 Jul 2015
Messages
9
well done brother, get your brain in gear, lots and lots of lists, exam on the Monday of second week, rules and regulations, track safety etc, 100% score required. see ya at trafford

Excellent can't wait also what if you fail?
 

507 001

Established Member
Joined
3 Dec 2008
Messages
2,177
Location
Huyton
Excellent can't wait also what if you fail?

Don't want to put you off but it's usually pass or your out I'm afraid.

This goes for PTS, rules and regs and the end of course test.

I wouldn't worry though, there's plenty of support and the instructors are there to get you through it!
 

Lasgo

Member
Joined
10 Jul 2015
Messages
9
Don't want to put you off but it's usually pass or your out I'm afraid.

This goes for PTS, rules and regs and the end of course test.

I wouldn't worry though, there's plenty of support and the instructors are there to get you through it!

Wow hopefully I'll be ok then just be a shame if I've quit my job and I don't get threw that part
 

L33_SNG1

Member
Joined
14 May 2016
Messages
5
hello guys, i know its been a while since the last comment on this thread but i was wondering if someone could give me some advice?

I have applied for a driver position. im still waiting on a reply but would like to get prepared if im lucky enough to get called in.

for the scaat test: how many sheets do you get and whats the time limit?
how many targets omitted are you allowed?

also what is the dials test?

hope this isnt too much.

will appreciate any help..

cheers
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi mate, you had any luck yet?
 

Franqui62

Member
Joined
9 Apr 2015
Messages
10
Be patient. Sifting/assessment is ongoing.

For the SCAAT test, you have a booklet, with nine pages. A minute per page. There has never been anything to say how much you need do, but obviously as much and accurately as possible. If you go wrong you cross in opposite direction over it.

If you fail any of the psychometrics, you will be told straight away and that is the end of that day.

The dials test is explained on the stickies above becoming a train driver with links. You will either have that or a comprehension test.

I've posted above about the rest of the day if you pass the psychometrics. Good luck.
 

L33_SNG1

Member
Joined
14 May 2016
Messages
5
Thank you for that. I take it from the dates of your last posts you must be a year or so into the job.... how are you finding it?
 

TerryTank

Member
Joined
19 Apr 2016
Messages
20
Hi guys, I applied for this post too - also still waiting to hear back (hopefully not a bad sign).

Does anyone know how many posts they're recruiting for? It seems in the past they've recruited several in one go, which would make me feel a bit more confident that I might at least get an invite to the assessment day.

Franqui62 - do you know if there's an English and maths test? I've read through some of the older threads and some seem to say there are and some say they aren't. School was a long time ago now... can't say I'd be looking forward to those much!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also Franqui62 - just reading your old posts on this thread - what's an announcement test?
 

Simon11

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2010
Messages
1,389
Another slight issue is that with a potential new operator taking over Manchester Metrolink, this could increase the potential delay of recruiting new staff. The reason is that the current operator RAPT, may need to seek agreement with TfGM to recruit additional staff within the last part of their contract. The reason for doing this is to ensure that they aren't over recruiting staff (to inflict damage on the next operator), but on the other side, ensuring that they aren't reducing costs by not recruiting & training staff, leaving a shortage at the start of the new contract.

At the moment, I find a lack of announcements by Metrolink Drivers, so this appears to be an initiative to recruit Drivers who are happy, confident and have a clear voice which is easy to understand. Well worth practicing before your interview, speaking clearly, at the right pace and noise.
 

robnewton77

Member
Joined
14 May 2016
Messages
6
Ah, I didn't realise this recruitment drive was connected to the takeover.

Out of interest, what sort of announcements do tram drivers usually make? Possibly a stupid question, but I can't recall ever hearing one. Even when I've been on a tram delayed and standing still I don't recall the driver giving any information to passengers (unlike trains for which I know I've heard drivers apologise for hold ups, comment on progress, etc).
 

Simon11

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2010
Messages
1,389
Ah, I didn't realise this recruitment drive was connected to the takeover.

I think you didn't quite understand my post. The recruitment drive could be to cover on going staff members leaving, but I presume that they also need more drivers once the new route through Manchester is running.

Out of interest, what sort of announcements do tram drivers usually make? Possibly a stupid question, but I can't recall ever hearing one. Even when I've been on a tram delayed and standing still I don't recall the driver giving any information to passengers (unlike trains for which I know I've heard drivers apologise for hold ups, comment on progress, etc).
I would hope that they are expecting them to give the same announcements as drivers on the mainline, to keep passengers informed of delays and any issues on their journeys.
 

martin2345uk

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2011
Messages
2,409
Location
Essex
I think you didn't quite understand my post. The recruitment drive could be to cover on going staff members leaving, but I presume that they also need more drivers once the new route through Manchester is running.


I would hope that they are expecting them to give the same announcements as drivers on the mainline, to keep passengers informed of delays and any issues on their journeys.

Yes, that's a common complaint on their Twitter feed - drivers not giving any info at all when trams are standing still for long periods of time!
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
In fairness, the PA system is simply rubbish, and really do have to shout. That said, some do either forget or can't be bothered.... Although some are excellent.
 

Shrimper

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2012
Messages
347
Yes, that's a common complaint on their Twitter feed - drivers not giving any info at all when trams are standing still for long periods of time!

To give info, we need to receive info! Unfortunately it seems in times of disruption we are often the last to know; I've had passengers tell me what is going on as Twitter has been updated before anyone thinks to communicate to the drivers via the radio.
 

robnewton77

Member
Joined
14 May 2016
Messages
6
I just came online to see if anyone had had any news on this front :lol:

Nothing here either unfortunately. Still, there's over a week to go , and if there were a lot of applications to sift through maybe next week is the week we're most likely to hear back *completely refuses to give up hope*. I'm pretty sure I put a good application together but hey, maybe I just don't have enough experience in the type of things they're looking for :roll:
 

maccalad

Member
Joined
22 Jun 2016
Messages
58
Can any current MetroLink Drivers confirm what the pay is, and when you get paid each month after deductions?

I seem to think pay is approx £24,885, which I would equate to about £1,700 a month after deductions on a rough calculation?
 

L33_SNG1

Member
Joined
14 May 2016
Messages
5
Hey everyone,

Anyone received a date for assessment/interview yet? just wondering...

cheers
 

pop79

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2015
Messages
109
Hi I have been invited to attend an assessment day on the 7th of October for a driver position with Metrolink
the day will be as follows
07.00 - 07.15 Driving License Check
07.15 - 08.00 Psychometric Testing session (Test 1)
08.00 - 08.30 Break & Results from Test 1
08.30 - 09.15 Psychometric Testing session (Test 2)
09.15 - 10.45 Break & Results from Test 2
10.45 - 11.30 LRV Simulator Test/Written Test
11.30 - 12:30 PA Announcement
12.30 - 13.30 Lunch & Results from LRV Simulator Test and PA Announcement.
I do appreciate if someone shed some lights on those tests. what is the LRV Simulator test and the Announcement test? and what is test 1 and test 2 ?
I do understand there will be SCAAT and GLOP and if it is not GLOP what the text will be about ?
they didn`t send me any practice material .Thanks
 

TerryTank

Member
Joined
19 Apr 2016
Messages
20
Is this from the April/May recruitment? Not got any useful advice for you mate but good luck. Maybe I'll hear something from them after all (won't give up on the wishful thinking :D) Can I ask how they got in touch with you?
 

martin2345uk

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2011
Messages
2,409
Location
Essex
I'm glad you're keeping the flag of optimism flying for us all terry! I keep forgetting about it! :--
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top