• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trains making unadvertised/off-station stops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
236
Overseas again, I seem to remember reading some years ago that VIA Rail specifically advertised that on some of their routes through the wilder parts of Canada you could arrange to be dropped off or picked up, with your canoe if appropriate, at locations other than stations. I remember seeing some people disembarking in this way on my Canadian train trip in 1990 (they didn't have canoes, but were met by someone in a boat). However I don't see this option on their website now, although that isn't to say that it doesn't happen unofficially. On a more recent trip to North America, when my Amtrak train broke down a few miles outside Seattle some people with a cruise ship to catch were transferred to a taxi on the adjacent road.

There is also Ontario Northland's Little Bear service. The only other current ViaRail service is likely to be Winnipeg - Churchill.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
11 Jan 2015
Messages
972
Best I can manage is a late night 197 bus which I knew was heading back to the garage and the driver kindly dropped me nearer home than the official terminus in central Croydon. Clearly not a rail example, but nice nonetheless.
 

4COR

Member
Joined
30 Jan 2019
Messages
885
Location
W Oxon (UWL exile)
Remember a few times when commuting from Upper Warlingham in slam door days when the fast Uckfield got held at the London end signal (which was a rarity!).

Cue a rush up the platform to jump on: of course, these were Thumpers - if the train was busy, it led to an uncomfortable squash when everyone piled into the last (nearest) coach. With no corridor connection, they were unable to move to another coach to get a seat unlike on the 4CIGs. Usually something was up ahead, and resulted in a (longer than usual) standing journey until at least Croydon.
 
Last edited:

Pinza-C55

Member
Joined
23 May 2015
Messages
1,035
I remember in about 1980 a legendary Deltic basher was on a Skegness - Nottingham return Adex with a pair of class 20's and it got stopped at Elton & Orston by a signal so he leapt there just so he had had haulage to Elton & Orston.
 

neilmc

Member
Joined
23 Oct 2011
Messages
1,070
I was once travelling from Cross Gates to Church Fenton on a summer Saturday, the train despite being a stopper was going all the way to Scarborough. At Cross Gates the station worker announced "Scarborough train" at the right time but omitted to mention this was an extra non-stop holiday working inserted just prior to the service train. The crew did an unscheduled stop at Church Fenton for us.
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
In the [im]famous days of Central Trains, which had been experiencing staffing difficulties, resulting in the Saturday Crewe-Derby service being replaced by buses for several weeks, we had a delay into Derby, with the result I missed the connecting train to Beeston and was facing a wait of a couple of hours or so for the next one to stop there.

Not fancying being stranded for such a long time at Derby on a Saturday night when I really wanted to get home, I enquired about the possibility of CT providing a taxi. Instead they put a Stop Order on the next service to Nottingham due in about 20 minutes' time, which was booked non-stop.

On leaving Derby, the conductor announced the train will "tonight make a special stop at Beeston" and, as I was the only one wanting Beeston, leaving the train at the deserted station was the nearest I'll ever come to feeling like the old Lord of the Manor allowing the railway to cross my land provided a platform was constructed for my own personal use.

So, enjoying the moment, I graciously thanked the conductor and gave a royal wave to the driver, who stared at me as if to say "Who does that b..... think he is?"!!
 
Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,705
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I've had a stop order put on a train at Bletchley after a cancellation or two resulted in a long gap in service - but it wasn't for me, it was for a friend who knew I knew who to ask to get it arranged (it was when David Whitley did the LM Twitter, and could get stuff done quite quickly) so I'm not sure it counts :)
 

Steddenm

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2017
Messages
1,251
Location
Clane, Co. Kildare
Years ago I was travelling from Holyhead to Nuneaton on Virgin Trains and was due to connect at Crewe but the VT service ran into difficulties with the loco attached to the 390 and we were delayed by nearly 90 minutes missing the connection at Crewe (which was on a Sunday and then not many trains).

Spoke to the guard who contacted their control and a special stop order was placed for the train to call additionally at Nuneaton, but the guard said it will be only one door which will be opened (by the shop). Managed to get off at Nuneaton and noticed on the departure CRT screens that it said....

"PRIVATE CHARTER
This train is not in public use. Please do not board this train."

I felt weird with everybody looking at me on the platform as they were awaiting their train!!
 

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2010
Messages
2,135
Location
Charlbury
Stops away from stations - for passengers or even water supplies - weren't that uncommon in rural areas and were shown in working timetables. However I am sure the stop to set down I experienced on the Alston branch one afternoon in the 70s wasn't timetabled!
Trains on the branch line to Uppingham (Rutland) would apparently sometimes stop on the embankment by Bisbrooke to let passengers dismount. Long before my time, but older villagers told me about it when I lived there.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,324
Location
Glasgow
The Isle of Man electric railway has an (advertised) policy of stopping anywhere safe
It's reckoned they have about 70/71 stops which have sprung up over the years; some official, some unofficial but they do operate a 'stop where safe' system as you say.

On an old thread I read something about trains sometimes making unadvertised stops on request, in locations where there were no stations.

I can't imagine that this still happens but was this a common practice? I've heard stories of unscheduled stops for crofters children, shooting parties, estate workers etc in various places in the Highlands, but they're mostly anecdotal and there's little in the way of evidence I can find. Most of the accounts are from the 60s at the latest too.
One of the stations on the Kyle Line, Duncraig closed in the 1964 but drivers continued to call there unofficially and it was subsequently re-opened officially in 1976.
 
Joined
9 Nov 2017
Messages
260
Badminton station, on the GWR's South Wales and Bristol Direct Line, was allegedly granted the land/permission to open by the Duke of Beaufort on the condition that any first-class passenger could request to alight at the station, regardless of whether the train was scheduled to call or not.

As far as I'm aware, this quirk existed until the station closed in 1968. It's amusing to think of a first-class passenger demanding that the South Wales Pullman stop at Badminton, spoiling an otherwise non-stop run from Paddington to Newport!

I'd love to know how well used (or abused!) this feature was by first-class passengers.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,030
Location
Up the creek
Was it Badminton where closure of the station was delayed because of the clause about the right to stop trains?

EDIT: A second look at Wikipedia provides the information that the original covenant said that four trains a day had to stop and that any train should stop if a First Class passenger wished to alight. It does suggest that this delayed closure until 1968; other stations on the line closed in 1961.
 
Last edited:

Lemmy99uk

Member
Joined
5 May 2015
Messages
562
In the 80s there were staff trains running at night between Wolverhampton, Walsall, Bescot and New Street, a legacy of depot closures and mergers.
There was one driver who lived near Coseley who would leave a message with the train crew supervisor if he needed the service in the morning. The driver of the staff train would then stop at the bottom of his garden that backed onto the mainline, to pick him up.
 
Joined
31 Jan 2020
Messages
395
Location
Inverness
Overseas again, I seem to remember reading some years ago that VIA Rail specifically advertised that on some of their routes through the wilder parts of Canada you could arrange to be dropped off or picked up, with your canoe if appropriate, at locations other than stations. I remember seeing some people disembarking in this way on my Canadian train trip in 1990 (they didn't have canoes, but were met by someone in a boat). However I don't see this option on their website now, although that isn't to say that it doesn't happen unofficially. On a more recent trip to North America, when my Amtrak train broke down a few miles outside Seattle some people with a cruise ship to catch were transferred to a taxi on the adjacent road.
Hmm, I've always wondered whether this could ever be arranged on the West Highland Line, or the Kyle or Far-North lines. I'm sure you could flag down a train from the lineside in an emergency if it really came to it, there's been the odd occasion when that has happened too (see below). But I can't imagine that Scotrail or the Sleeper would be willing to drop you off anywhere in normal circumstances, and might be a bit irritated if you flagged them down for no good reason.


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-41621266
 

adc82140

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2008
Messages
3,412
Remember a few times when commuting from Upper Warlingham in slam door days when the fast Uckfield got held at the London end signal (which was a rarity!).

Cue a rush up the platform to jump on: of course, these were Thumpers - if the train was busy, it led to an uncomfortable squash when everyone piled into the last (nearest) coach. With no corridor connection, they were unable to move to another coach to get a seat unlike on the 4CIGs. Usually something was up ahead, and resulted in a (longer than usual) standing journey until at least Croydon.
In the slammer days, if a train was held at a red signal at Vauxhall Londonbound, there would be an exodus on to the platform. The easy connection to the Victoria Line was too tempting. It really annoyed the guards, as they had to do a full dispatch routine before the train could set off again. Most drivers would hold short of the platform to prevent this, or approach slowly if they knew the aspect was likely to change to prevent a stop at the platform.
 

Welly

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2013
Messages
670
A few years ago, I witnessed a Deltic hauled Lincoln Christmas Market special stopping at Saxilby on the way back to Scotland! I think someone got on that train by mistake.
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,333
Location
Herts
In the slammer days, if a train was held at a red signal at Vauxhall Londonbound, there would be an exodus on to the platform. The easy connection to the Victoria Line was too tempting. It really annoyed the guards, as they had to do a full dispatch routine before the train could set off again. Most drivers would hold short of the platform to prevent this, or approach slowly if they knew the aspect was likely to change to prevent a stop at the platform.

Same at Wimbledon on the up fast. They wisely made every effort with a VEP or similar , not to stop. Wise.

Cricklewood was another place for "ad hoc" staff calls. Neasden on the Met line also. Both discouraged.
 

Roger1973

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2020
Messages
859
Location
Berkshire
I also remember Southern Region trains (in the slam door era) with drivers trying very hard to avoid having to stop at a red signal in a platform when the train was either not booked to stop or 'ecs'

East London Line trains (when it was part of the Underground) used to stop for train crew change-overs near the depot between New Cross and Surrey Docks (Quays)

If I remember right a small 'staff halt' was constructed in later years (after the line went driver-only) which suggests it was an official arrangement. I think must have been a rarity on the Underground network.
 

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Joined
25 Mar 2010
Messages
1,778
Location
Newport, South Wales
Slightly off topic, but Platform One in Newport Station was regularly used for crew changes for freight trains going west. There was often a red at the far end and the trains used to pause at the east end to allow the crews to jump on and off quickly. I'm not sure how official it was, or if they still do it.
 

UrieS15

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2020
Messages
69
Location
Whitby
On an old thread I read something about trains sometimes making unadvertised stops on request, in locations where there were no stations.

I can't imagine that this still happens but was this a common practice? I've heard stories of unscheduled stops for crofters children, shooting parties, estate workers etc in various places in the Highlands, but they're mostly anecdotal and there's little in the way of evidence I can find. Most of the accounts are from the 60s at the latest too.
I have a clear memory of a British Transport film, black and white, being shown on tv. It covered the rural Scottish lines and they carried a small bespoke ladder to allow school children to alight at unlikely places. In true 50's style it was spun as 'Isn't this quaint?'
 
Joined
31 Jan 2020
Messages
395
Location
Inverness
I have a clear memory of a British Transport film, black and white, being shown on tv. It covered the rural Scottish lines and they carried a small bespoke ladder to allow school children to alight at unlikely places. In true 50's style it was spun as 'Isn't this quaint?'
Found it -14:30, and again at 26:30

The spot they're referring to is near a cottage between Lochailort and Glenfinnan. The children could well have lived in what is now Essan Bothy.

 
Last edited:

65477

Member
Joined
30 Mar 2017
Messages
257
In about 50 years of travel as an enthusiast I have had two trains make special stops for me.

Once I was flying from Stansted airport and getting a train from Harlow Town to change at Bishop's Stortford. That train was cancelled so the staff at HT arranged for a Stansted Express to make a special stop to pick me up. so I did not mißs my flight.

The second was when I was on the sleeper from Euston to Glasgow. Due to severe ohl damage by 08:00 we had only go to Bletchley. As I was going to Glasgow for a 09:00 meeting and had a flight booked back before the train was likely to get to Glasgow I enquired about getting off early. The initial reply was that I might be able to get off a Preston, the first booked stop. After a polite response from me I was told I could get off at Northampton where the train would stop a a door would be opened for passengers who wanted to return to London. The return trip turned out to be bus replacement to Bletchley. At no point on the return journey was I asked for a ticket so I did not have to explain why I was travelling from Northampton to Euston on a Euston to Glasgow ticket.
 

pompeyfan

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2012
Messages
4,445
Not sure if it’s in the right spirit of this thread, but a couple of years ago there was quite a large gas leak near Mount Pleasant in Southampton resulting in a BTET. Cross country had their voyagers calling additionally at St Denys, and FGW cherry picked some of the larger stations on the Netley road. Other than that I’m not aware of any unusual calls by other TOCs.
 

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2013
Messages
1,546
There is the specially built short platform for Durnsford Road, (Wimbledon).
In nearly 50 years of fairly regular travel through Wimbledon, I've never seen anyone waiting on the staff platform, nor seen any train stopped there. Can anyone explain the operation of the staff platform: how and when it is used?
 

Ken H

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
6,718
Location
N Yorks
In the 70's the GBTT, a couple of trains had a note that trans would stop at Melton as required. Its between Brough and Ferriby. and in the 1st edition of baker melton was there with an asterisk to say only open for special reasons.

Again in the 70's There were HST's if that helps date it. We were travelling Newport - Lancaster and for some reason we went back via Bristol parkway and brum. The Western was in a mess that afternoon, and we missed the connection to Brum. So missed the last train north to Lancaster. They stopped a northbound sleeper/seating service at Lancaster for us.
 

Sprinter107

Member
Joined
26 Mar 2019
Messages
1,098
In the 70's the GBTT, a couple of trains had a note that trans would stop at Melton as required. Its between Brough and Ferriby. and in the 1st edition of baker melton was there with an asterisk to say only open for special reasons.

Again in the 70's There were HST's if that helps date it. We were travelling Newport - Lancaster and for some reason we went back via Bristol parkway and brum. The Western was in a mess that afternoon, and we missed the connection to Brum. So missed the last train north to Lancaster. They stopped a northbound sleeper/seating service at Lancaster for us.
I remember that footnote about Melton in the GBTT, but never knew it referred to a station. I just always thought it was an error that had escaped the proof reader, so thanks for posting that. It clears up another mystery.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,849
Location
Epsom
In nearly 50 years of fairly regular travel through Wimbledon, I've never seen anyone waiting on the staff platform, nor seen any train stopped there. Can anyone explain the operation of the staff platform: how and when it is used?

There are designated very early and very late trains which call there to drop off and pick up staff.

In normal times, the 05.35 from Epsom would be a very good bet if you want to be on a train which stops there ( and which also gets you the fast to slow crossovers immediately beyond it ).
 

jumble

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2011
Messages
1,500
On an old thread I read something about trains sometimes making unadvertised stops on request, in locations where there were no stations.

I can't imagine that this still happens but was this a common practice? I've heard stories of unscheduled stops for crofters children, shooting parties, estate workers etc in various places in the Highlands, but they're mostly anecdotal and there's little in the way of evidence I can find. Most of the accounts are from the 60s at the latest too.

On the London Underground the Metropolitan occasionally stops at Neasden Depot just before Neasden Station to drop or pick up drivers
I haven't bothered to see if this is in the WTT
 

Jimbob52

Member
Joined
8 Oct 2019
Messages
54
Location
Worcestershire
The name ‘Birmingham Pullman’ is usually associated with the blue diesel which ran between Paddington and Snow Hill in the 1960’s but for a time in the late 1980’s the title was carried by an early morning train from New Street and Birmingham International to Euston. Leaving International at about 7.40 it arrived in Euston for 9.00. There were clear platform announcements that the train was non-stop.

The train was a good time-keeper, often arriving early. I particularly enjoyed the dash through Coventry station where the train was routed through platform 2 rather than the normal platform 1, presumably because the line was a straight run.

One morning, as the train departed International with the usual ‘next stop is London Euston’, a young lady ran through the carriage in a state of panic looking for the train manager. It was not the first time I had seen a passenger who had not heard the platform announcements but I had never known the Pullman to make an unscheduled stop.

In fact, the train did not stop. Instead, as the train approached Coventry, speed was reduced to a slow walking pace. As soon as the first carriage came alongside the platform, the train manager opened a door, jumped onto the platform and, while walking alongside, lifted the young lady on to the platform, made sure she was safe, and smartly got back in. The train then picked up speed and arrived at Euston on time.

When I saw the train manager a couple of days later I tactfully asked what had happened. He explained that the lady was a student nurse, due to take her final exams in Coventry. When she realised the train was not going to stop, she became distressed to the point where he thought she might try to jump from the train. In the interest of passenger safety, he therefore spoke to the driver and arranged for the train to slow down.

I considered writing to BR to commend the train manager and driver for their action but on reflection I thought they might be in trouble for not actually stopping the train. I have no doubt, however, that they acted correctly and very promptly – and I hope the young lady passed her exam.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top