• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trains in the late 70's to mid 80's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Need2

Member
Joined
15 Jun 2016
Messages
595
Wonder if you can help?
Trying to find pictures, especially internally of slam door type trains used in the 70/80's. I lived in Epsom and used them to/from Waterloo.
The ones I'm looking for had 'open' carriages with bench seats (IIRC) with the string netting luggage holder above and some carriages had separate compartments of 2 rows of seats. Hope this makes sense. :D
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
This sounds like 2-EPB or 4-EPB types.
7313247482_26184a25a7_z.jpg
 

Need2

Member
Joined
15 Jun 2016
Messages
595
Now that is a proper train!

Exactly my thoughts!
Cannot remember if they were comfortable or know if they were well made though!
The 1st pic definitely looks the one I remember except I'm sure they had the emergency chain above every door (like the last pic) and the luggage racks were rope netting things.
The individual compartments I mentioned were the full width of the carriage, there was not a walkway to the rest of the carriage. I can't remember though if the whole carriage was made up of these separate compartments or just part of it.
Thanks to all for their input, must be getting old, Should stop reminiscing :D
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
Possibly 4-SUB units, I remember seeing them at Waterloo in the late 70s / early 80s.

Both SUBs and EPBs worked the Epsom to Waterloo route at the time. Very little difference between them - some SUB trailers even ended up in the refurbished EPB sets.
 

CatfordCat

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2013
Messages
639
The Southern E-Mail Group website may be of interest

I'd agree that the trains would mostly have been later 4-SUB (class 405) units - see http://www.semgonline.com/gallery/class405_01.html

or 2 / 4 - EPB (class 415) units - http://www.semgonline.com/gallery/class415_1.html

from a passenger perspective, the two types were quite similar (and as has been said, some trailer carriages did get moved from one type to the other.)

While I can't find a photo to back this up, I do remember some having 'knotted string' luggage racks.

you'd probably also remember them with the dark grey based 'Trojan' moquette - there's a few photos of SR diesel units (some interiors were quite similar to the later EPB units) on the 'Preserved Thumpers' website here

Most 4 SUB / 4 EPB units had 3 carriages of the 'open' type with 3 + 2 seating and one 'compartment' with 6 a side seating. (I emphasise 'most' - there were of course variations.

The picture posted by 'EM2' shows a 4 EPB carriage after refurbishment - they were new with incandescent bulb rather than flourescent strip lights, but many sets were refurbished in the 1980s. I don't think any 4 SUB units got this treatment.

This photo (not mine) shows an un-refurbished 4 EPB car - the set includes other SR unit interiors, but not a compartment.
 

Far north 37

Established Member
Joined
13 Apr 2011
Messages
1,951
i mind being on similar stock back in 2000ish from hounslow on the hounlow loop to waterloo daily what stock would that have been it was slam door in early swt livery
 

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
Exactly my thoughts!
Cannot remember if they were comfortable or know if they were well made though!
The 1st pic definitely looks the one I remember except I'm sure they had the emergency chain above every door (like the last pic) and the luggage racks were rope netting things.
The individual compartments I mentioned were the full width of the carriage, there was not a walkway to the rest of the carriage. I can't remember though if the whole carriage was made up of these separate compartments or just part of it.
Thanks to all for their input, must be getting old, Should stop reminiscing :D
I used to enjoy many a Sunday breakfast on a slammer declassified first class compartment in connex days

Sounds like you're thinking of the slammers that got scrapped early due to safety feats with enclosed compartments
 

theageofthetra

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2012
Messages
3,565
Location
Beckenham
The EPB's with string net luggage racks and lightbulbs as bright as a gloworms backside were certainly still running in the mid 80's when I used to travel to school between Sevenoaks and Tonbridge. The main change was the loss of the compartments which I think had all gone by when I left school in 1988.

The string luggage racked 'dog box' compartments would invariably have the light bulbs removed through Sevenoaks tunnel and some unfortunate first year would find themselves in the luggage rack with their shoe laces tied to the string racks.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,433
Location
Yorks
You wait weeks and weeks for a decent thread about proper trains, then one terns up when I'm in the middle of the countryside with no signal.
 

MarlowDonkey

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2013
Messages
1,884
The main change was the loss of the compartments which I think had all gone by when I left school in 1988.

Compartment stock without internal gangways had been the norm in steam days for suburban and local services. Their replacement by diesel multiple units eliminated these from most of the country except the electric versions on the Southern Region. The design of having an internal gangway with doors to each of the seating bays became common. It wasn't just the electric VEPs, also the diesel 117/121 design on the Western Region and the similar designs on the London Midland.

They had the advantage of providing a few more seats, but passenger safety issues saw them withdrawn or converted well before the general replacement of slam door stock.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,433
Location
Yorks
Corridor compartment carriages were the norm for longer distance services through most of the 20th century. The 4COR's and 4 CEP's were built with two out of four carriages being corridor compartments.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
Ah, yes - in that case probably VEPs or CIGs in "Stagecoach Stripes" variation of NSE livery? Although he specifically said "similar stock" but I wouldn't call the VEPs / CIGs similar to EPBs internally.

The VEPs were, of course, mechanically similar to the EPBs.
 

randyrippley

Established Member
Joined
21 Feb 2016
Messages
5,382
Now that is a proper train!

"Proper trains" do NOT have 3+2 seating. Nor five-abreast compartments

They were rattle-boxes as well: with all the extra doorways the SUB/EPB/VEP fleet lacked longtitudinal structural rigidity and rattled/flexed badly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top