• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

heedfan

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2017
Messages
279
Some advice for you all to take or leave...this is easy for me to say but I do speak from experience.

Getting frustrated and checking your emails 100 times a day will do you no good at all. Trust me, I’ve been there, and when it all amounted to nothing in the end it made it more painful as I had gotten very worked up throughout the process. I’m fortunate to be where I want to be now but in previous recruitments I was far too keen and it just made it worse.

I’m not saying that you shouldn’t get excited of course, but don’t fall into the trap of this being the only thing you think about. EMT will get back to you eventually. Try to find distractions, limit your email checking, get on with your life, try to accept that you can’t speed this process up no matter how hard you want to. It will also make it easier if you don’t get the result you want. That said, I do hope you all get what you want from this process!
 

Amanda

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2018
Messages
197
Totally agree with the above, when I was in the process last time I had to tell myself, "right don't check your emails until...." and then stick to it, otherwise I'd go out of my mind.

I hope you hear something soon, it's dragging on a bit! Maybe there is a delay getting the results back from OPC for some reason.

On another note... Has anyone confirmed for the assessment next week received an email asking them to complete an online assessment?? This wasn't part of the process last year! It seems to suggest I need a mouse, which I don't have.... And I have to complete it by Friday.... So either I have to go to work early and use the PC there or maybe buy a mouse and see if that will work with my laptop?! Also not wanting to bitch about it but I've just had today off work and could have gone to the library and done this if I had received the email earlier than teatime.
 

Amanda

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2018
Messages
197
And I've had another email asking me to bring exam certificates for English, Maths and ICT to level 2.... No one has asked for certificates in years. What is "level 2" anyway?? And what is ICT, is it like IT? I will just bring all my certificates anyway, if I can find them :lol:. The email does say that whether you have level 2 in these subjects or not doesn't affect whether you will progress to the next stage but as it's part of an apprenticeship (which I didn't know) they will need to provide you with the training at some point if you don't already have them.
 

Clarabella31

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2018
Messages
34
And I've had another email asking me to bring exam certificates for English, Maths and ICT to level 2.... No one has asked for certificates in years. What is "level 2" anyway?? And what is ICT, is it like IT? I will just bring all my certificates anyway, if I can find them :lol:. The email does say that whether you have level 2 in these subjects or not doesn't affect whether you will progress to the next stage but as it's part of an apprenticeship (which I didn't know) they will need to provide you with the training at some point if you don't already have them.
Level 2 is GCSE Grade C equivalent.
 

Clarabella31

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2018
Messages
34
Some advice for you all to take or leave...this is easy for me to say but I do speak from experience.

Getting frustrated and checking your emails 100 times a day will do you no good at all. Trust me, I’ve been there, and when it all amounted to nothing in the end it made it more painful as I had gotten very worked up throughout the process. I’m fortunate to be where I want to be now but in previous recruitments I was far too keen and it just made it worse.

I’m not saying that you shouldn’t get excited of course, but don’t fall into the trap of this being the only thing you think about. EMT will get back to you eventually. Try to find distractions, limit your email checking, get on with your life, try to accept that you can’t speed this process up no matter how hard you want to. It will also make it easier if you don’t get the result you want. That said, I do hope you all get what you want from this process!
Some advice for you all to take or leave...this is easy for me to say but I do speak from experience.

Getting frustrated and checking your emails 100 times a day will do you no good at all. Trust me, I’ve been there, and when it all amounted to nothing in the end it made it more painful as I had gotten very worked up throughout the process. I’m fortunate to be where I want to be now but in previous recruitments I was far too keen and it just made it worse.

I’m not saying that you shouldn’t get excited of course, but don’t fall into the trap of this being the only thing you think about. EMT will get back to you eventually. Try to find distractions, limit your email checking, get on with your life, try to accept that you can’t speed this process up no matter how hard you want to. It will also make it easier if you don’t get the result you want. That said, I do hope you all get what you want from this process!
Thanks for the advice Heedfan and yes in an ideal world you're correct, however my work commitments mean that I need to know one way or another
 

Amanda

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2018
Messages
197
Level 2 is GCSE Grade C equivalent.

Yessssss, this means digging out my 1994 GCSE English Lang & Lit, Maths and Computer Studies certificates! Although I doubt Computer Studies from 1994 would bear any resemblance to whatever they teach in schools today. o_O
 
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
12
I doubt we would be on the 17th course now it's a little bit short notice. I've not booked it off either. Anyone heard anything?
 

Amanda

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2018
Messages
197
I agree it's too late for Monday. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up having another assessment day in the new year?
 

WannaBeLucky

New Member
Joined
29 Oct 2018
Messages
1
Good morning everyone, I have been a silent reader so far :),
I attended the 28th morning and haven`t heard anything either.
 

Busyboy89

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2018
Messages
185
Just done the maths, English and personality tests. Don’t know about anyone else but I found it harder then the tests we’ve already completed :( :(
 

Hazza

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2018
Messages
30
Location
Sheffield
Just got an email:

Good Morning,

Apologies for the delay in getting your Stage 1 results to you, we are just waiting on some final information before we can release them. I hope to have the results over to you in the next week. I am aware the next step that was advertised for successful candidates was the assessment day on Monday 17th December but we will be running another date in January for anyone that passed the testing. Apologies for the delay and I hope to have some news for you soon.

The Recruitment Team
East Midlands Trains
 

Daveb1664

Member
Joined
6 Nov 2018
Messages
74
Just got an email:

Good Morning,

Apologies for the delay in getting your Stage 1 results to you, we are just waiting on some final information before we can release them. I hope to have the results over to you in the next week. I am aware the next step that was advertised for successful candidates was the assessment day on Monday 17th December but we will be running another date in January for anyone that passed the testing. Apologies for the delay and I hope to have some news for you soon.

The Recruitment Team
East Midlands Trains
I have just received this. Thought some people had already received there results?
 

Hazza

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2018
Messages
30
Location
Sheffield
I have just received this. Thought some people had already received there results?
Yeah some people have had confirmation of success and will be attending the 17th.

As for us lot it’ll be jan if successful!
So annoying as I swapped all my shifts round to get have Monday off just in case.
Never mind...

May the waiting game continue..
 

Amanda

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2018
Messages
197
Just done the maths, English and personality tests. Don’t know about anyone else but I found it harder then the tests we’ve already completed :( :(

Really? Eeek. Now I'm worried! I'm planning to do mine tonight, giving me tomorrow night to finish if I don't manage it tonight. Waiting to see if my work's IT department can lend me a mouse, if not I'll be making a stop at Tesco or Argos on my way home.

I'm glad the people who haven't had their results yet have at least had some sort of e-mail. Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys!
 

Daveb1664

Member
Joined
6 Nov 2018
Messages
74
Really? Eeek. Now I'm worried! I'm planning to do mine tonight, giving me tomorrow night to finish if I don't manage it tonight. Waiting to see if my work's IT department can lend me a mouse, if not I'll be making a stop at Tesco or Argos on my way home.

I'm glad the people who haven't had their results yet have at least had some sort of e-mail. Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys!
Sorry I'm a bit lost here. When are the Maths and English test?
 

Busyboy89

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2018
Messages
185
We’ve recevived an email buddy, they need completing before midnight tomorrow.

Amanda, I’ve just went into nearest libary and did it in silence there. It’s the allocated time that’s hard, the questions are moderate and could be done with some
Time. But anyway good luck!!
 

Amanda

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2018
Messages
197
Dave, they're for the people attending the assessment on Monday, so once you know if you're through, you should receive an email with a link, probably very close to the assessment date.

I now have a mouse. :E No questions asked by my current employer either. I did think of the library but the nearest one open late is Nottingham Central I think which is quite a way from me (Hucknall) but can be done on my way home if I really have to. If for whatever reason the mouse doesn't work then I'll go there tomorrow, I think they're open til 7. It just would be nice to do it at home, where I can take breaks between the different sections and get other stuff done. And, yes, finish it at five minutes to midnight if I have to! Although I'm not planning on leaving it that close to the wire....
 

Gryffindor

New Member
Joined
11 Dec 2018
Messages
2
Just got an email:

Good Morning,

Apologies for the delay in getting your Stage 1 results to you, we are just waiting on some final information before we can release them. I hope to have the results over to you in the next week. I am aware the next step that was advertised for successful candidates was the assessment day on Monday 17th December but we will be running another date in January for anyone that passed the testing. Apologies for the delay and I hope to have some news for you soon.

The Recruitment Team
East Midlands Trains


Did you send them an email chasing it up? I’ve still not had anything including this email.
 

Amanda

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2018
Messages
197
I just got an email about the numeracy, literacy & personality tests saying the deadline has been extended to 16th December. I'm not sure how I feel about that! I still plan to have a crack at it tonight.
 
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
12
Just done the maths, English and personality tests. Don’t know about anyone else but I found it harder then the tests we’ve already completed :( :(
Busyboy89 were these like GCSE questions? Better having a refresher before you try them? Just asking for future reference. Cheers
 

Clarabella31

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2018
Messages
34
Did you send them an email chasing it up? I’ve still not had anything including this email.
I sent an email first thing this morning chasing it up. I don't know if the reply is anything to do with that or whether it's just a coincidence. I must admit though I was getting a tad frustrated as I can't put holidays in at work and needed to know so I could cover my student
 

Busyboy89

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2018
Messages
185
My level of academic intelligence is nearly zero lol.....the questions weren’t impossible but needed time to work out....which you dont have on the tests. If you register with shl you can do unlimited practice papers. If I had known they were going to extend the deadline I would of practised more.

An quick example of a question is...

If sales are £120m for year 1 and you have 20% increase for next three years, what the percentage difference between year 1 and 3
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top