• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Station or Railway Station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,787
Location
Somewhere, not in London
There is a clear difference between Aerodrome and Airport though, the same as there is between a Harbour or Marina and a (Sea)Port.

Places like Woodford or Barton are sod all like Ringway, in the same wasy that Bridlington is sod all like Dover!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
I've heard the argument that's it a "railway station" not a "train station" because it's the railway that's stationed there, and not the trains.

Here's a little fact:
The term aerodrome was taken out of the dictionary a little while ago.
What do you mean "taken out"? The OED (the accepted authority on the English language) never remove a word. I see no reason for its removal anyway
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
There is a clear difference between Aerodrome and Airport though, the same as there is between a Harbour or Marina and a (Sea)Port.

Well, yes there is now. Historically an aerodrome covered anywhere that a plane could take off or land. Aerodrome nowadays sounds more appropriate for a General Aviation airfield (another term!) or a military base. Names aren't always logical.

I suppose it's possible that in 50 years from now, 'train station' might be used for large stations and 'rail(way) stations' to describe small stations with just a 1 or 2 platforms and a shelter. Or vice versa. Who knows!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Oh, I have heard "rail station" quite a bit, I think that's a compromise that's quick to say. What about this version?
 
Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
Ahem. Thought I'd leave my employers out of it ;)

Although renaming it "Rheilffordd Arriva Railways" would sort out the stupid situation of the word Arriva appearing twice in the logo.



Absolutely, but it's all about semantics, semiotics and aesthetics. I like to consider the machine and the track as one single entity - one can't exist without the other - the train can't run without tracks, and without a train to run on it, the track serves no other purpose. OK - in this post-privatisation world two separate legal entities may look after the two sides of the coin, but in the end, they're two halves of a whole.

I think you also might add "symbiosis" - a system where there are various parts, all of which must be present for their relationship: trains, infrastructure, personnel, administration, cargo/pax, etc. You can't have a railway without trains, nor personnel, etc.
 

43021HST

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2008
Messages
1,565
Location
Taunton
I've heard the argument that's it a "railway station" not a "train station" because it's the railway that's stationed there, and not the trains.


What do you mean "taken out"? The OED (the accepted authority on the English language) never remove a word. I see no reason for its removal anyway

I read it in the Metro and I cant remember the full paragraph. ;)
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,190
Location
0035
The great Ken Bruce and the lovely Lynn Bowles just had this discussion on Radio 2!
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
Life's too short for this nonsense. Language changes over time as new words and usages come into mainstream use and push out older ones. There is no right or wrong on this, merely a choice of phrase. When it comes to names logic and reason go out of the window. Why is it a bus stop? an airport? a taxi rank? It's just what people call them. Whether it is "logical" or "reasonable" makes not one jot of difference.

What I will say, however, is that I am saddened by the level of literacy displayed, even on official documents and notifications. This is not limited to the railway either, with lots of badly spelled and phrased notices almost everywhere you go.

O L Leigh

I think that's the best post I've seen yet this year.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top