• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Station or Railway Station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
There is a large disagreement on this forum about which of the terms "train station" and "railway station" is correct. I am of the opinion that "railway station" is correct, but many others say that "train station" is just fine.

Anyway, I'd just like to share with you this picture I took outside Bath Bus Station earlier today, and see what you all make of it. (I promise I'm not responsible! That sign has been there for weeks without the green pen :lol:)
 

Attachments

  • Not a train station!.jpg
    Not a train station!.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 110
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Always take it to be railway station in the UK and train station in the US. Sure someone will comment that we say bus station and not something else...
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Further to what 142094 said, do we have plane stations, ship stations and hovercraft stations too then?
 

O L Leigh

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2006
Messages
5,609
Location
In the cab with the paper
Life's too short for this nonsense. Language changes over time as new words and usages come into mainstream use and push out older ones. There is no right or wrong on this, merely a choice of phrase. When it comes to names logic and reason go out of the window. Why is it a bus stop? an airport? a taxi rank? It's just what people call them. Whether it is "logical" or "reasonable" makes not one jot of difference.

What I will say, however, is that I am saddened by the level of literacy displayed, even on official documents and notifications. This is not limited to the railway either, with lots of badly spelled and phrased notices almost everywhere you go.

O L Leigh
 

317666

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2009
Messages
1,775
Location
East Anglia
I usually just refer to it as the 'station', for instance if I'm buying a bus ticket and ask for a single to the station, every time I have been sold a ticket to the railway station.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Further to what 142094 said, do we have plane stations, ship stations and hovercraft stations too then?

A Hovercraft landing station is an accepted term.

PlaneStation was actually an airport operator and airline owner (EUjet), that went out of business some years ago.:lol:
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,451
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
I thought that if I typed "Crewe station" into the Google search engine, I would see what actually came up on the index page.. It came up with two variations with regard to the matter at hand......

The entry nearest the top of the index page stated... "Crewe train station"

Further down the index page was... "Crewe railway station" (Wikipaedia)

Has anyone else noted this occurrence when searching for information ?
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Life's too short for this nonsense. Language changes over time as new words and usages come into mainstream use and push out older ones. There is no right or wrong on this, merely a choice of phrase. When it comes to names logic and reason go out of the window. Why is it a bus stop? an airport? a taxi rank? It's just what people call them. Whether it is "logical" or "reasonable" makes not one jot of difference.

I have to agree with you on this one. While 'railway station' is probably the 'more correct phrasing', 'train station' has entered mainstream use and eventually it may well become standard phrasing too.

As an analogy, do you call a place where you can make calls a "telephone booth" or a "phone box". I think that's quite similar.

It's also due to the fact that English has so many different words and phrases that essentially mean the same thing. According to Bill Bryson's book 'Mother Tongue', among popular European languages, English has about 200,000 words in common use, German 184,000 and French 100,000 (Spanish and Italian are likely to be similar to French).
 

ushawk

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2010
Messages
1,965
Location
Eastbourne
I prefer Railway Station, but can see why people say Train Station - but down here its often just Station - as the only other stations are the Fire and Police :lol:
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
A Hovercraft landing station is an accepted term.

PlaneStation was actually an airport operator and airline owner (EUjet), that went out of business some years ago.:lol:

Over Christmas my brother and I spent a lot of time playing OpenTTD (specifically a south-western map similar to the one in the original game, but of my own design), and he had the idea of naming all his airports as "Plane Stations" and not as airports. We had Bournemouth Plane Station, Bath Plane Station, Cardiff Plane Station, Aberystwyth Plane Station, Gloucester Plane Station, and even Sony Plane Station (as opposed to Exeter Plane Station as it should have been)...

Those names just didn't work. "Airport" sounds much better.
 

Minilad

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
4,398
Location
Anywhere B link goes
For me either is fine.
I just don't get the whole thing to be honest. I doubt if you asked anybody directions to either the Train Station or the Railway Station they wouldn't know perfectly well what you meant so there is no confusion to be made.
Basically language evolves so I think the people who get their knickers in a twist will just have to suck it up.
We no longer talk or write in the same way as people in the late 1800s did. Things move on
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
Always take it to be railway station in the UK and train station in the US. Sure someone will comment that we say bus station and not something else...

This kind of comment annoys me in two ways.
1. Implying that the distinction between the two is as clear-cut as a national divide (when it rarely is)
2. Implying that "british" English is somehow better than "American" English.
 

Seacook

Member
Joined
17 May 2010
Messages
456
Location
West Bromwich
Both are correct as far I am concerned. I use railway station (or just station), but it's purely a personal preference.

A bus station is where buses stop.
A train station is where trains stop.
In my job I sit at a work station.
 

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
9,668
I'll be honest i don't really care, both mean that same to me. I think i say both, infact i just say station usually and people know what im talking about. Got structural design of concrete to worry about.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
I personally would tend to use railway station, but as others have said, both make sense in one way or another
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,378
Location
Yorks
As far as I'm concerned, Railway Station is the correct term. For Britain.

Train station isn't the correct term for Britain (though it is for the USA)

Bahnhof is correct for Germany, not Railway Station.

Gare is correct for France, not Bahnhof.
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
As far as I'm concerned, Railway Station is the correct term. For Britain.

Train station isn't the correct term for Britain (though it is for the USA)

Says who? There is this big misconception that everyone on one side of the Atlantic should use one term and the other side should use another. Frankly, that's so much bull.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,378
Location
Yorks
Says who? There is this big misconception that everyone on one side of the Atlantic should use one term and the other side should use another. Frankly, that's so much bull.

It's in the same way I'd go to a cafe over here and a diner over there. Or a pub over here and a bar over there. And I'd walk on a pavement over here and a sidewalk over there.

I could go on ..........
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Whenever I search a station on the Internet I always type '[name] railway station' but I am not bothered by 'train station'.
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
It's in the same way I'd go to a cafe over here and a diner over there. Or a pub over here and a bar over there. And I'd walk on a pavement over here and a sidewalk over there.

I could go on ..........

No. Misconceptions. The lot of them. There are cafés in America and diners in Britain. And there are definitely bars in Britain, I defy you to say you've never been to one.
 

Heinz57

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
649
Location
Ilkeston
For me its 'Train Station'.

Its where the trains stop, so therefore its train station. In my opinion calling it 'railway station' is like calling a bus station a road station.

*Grabs tin hat and dives for cover :D*
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,378
Location
Yorks
For me its 'Train Station'.

Its where the trains stop, so therefore its train station. In my opinion calling it 'railway station' is like calling a bus station a road station.

*Grabs tin hat and dives for cover :D*

The one in Leeds deals with buses, coaches, pedestrians and taxis so in my opinion "road station" would be a more accurate description ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top