• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Station or Railway Station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trog

Established Member
Joined
30 Oct 2009
Messages
1,546
Location
In Retirement.
Always take it to be railway station in the UK and train station in the US. Sure someone will comment that we say bus station and not something else...


Sounds right to me...


I think the reference before station is more about who is using the station.

Naval Station where the Navy bases its ships.
Bus Station where the Bus company bases its Buses.
Police Satation where the Police Force bases its constables.
Railway Station where the Railway Company bases its trains.
Fire Station where the Fire Service bases its appliances.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Sounds right to me...


I think the reference before station is more about who is using the station.

Naval Station where the Navy bases its ships.
Bus Station where the Bus company bases its Buses.
Police Satation where the Police Force bases its constables.
Railway Station where the Railway Company bases its trains.
Fire Station where the Fire Service bases its appliances.

And then "work station" where the companies bases its work force? :p Hmm... maybe not :|
 
Last edited:

12CSVT

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2010
Messages
2,611
'Railway Station' for me. Always has been and always will be.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
What about babe station then !!

Not that I watch it of course, just saw it in the paper

If it wasn't for having found that by sheer accident one time about five years ago (trying random combinations on the Sky remote out of boredom) I wouldn't even know what you meant :shock:
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
If it wasn't for having found that by sheer accident one time about five years ago (trying random combinations on the Sky remote out of boredom) I wouldn't even know what you meant :shock:

A likely excuse ;)

Sounds right to me...


I think the reference before station is more about who is using the station.

Naval Station where the Navy bases its ships.
Bus Station where the Bus company bases its Buses.
Police Satation where the Police Force bases its constables.
Railway Station where the Railway Company bases its trains.
Fire Station where the Fire Service bases its appliances.

To be fair Id say Naval Base - given that some of them share both ships and boats in the same yard.

What about times when police stations are unmanned? Are they still called that even though no police are based there?

Also I wouldnt say a Railway station is where TOCs base their trains as they are only in and out quickly with them spending most of their time on route or in the depot ;)
 

Michael.Y

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2011
Messages
1,437
Railway station. Railway has more oomph and gravitas than Train. I also don't like it in TOC names... Compare Virgin Trains with Chiltern Railways... East Midlands Trains compared with Great North Eastern Railway...
 

Badger

Member
Joined
17 Oct 2011
Messages
617
Location
Wolverhampton
I prefer Railway Station to Train Station, but am fine with either; the one I really don't want to see is "Railroad"..
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
Railway station. Railway has more oomph and gravitas than Train. I also don't like it in TOC names... Compare Virgin Trains with Chiltern Railways... East Midlands Trains compared with Great North Eastern Railway...

Yes, but they're train operating companies, that is they only run the trains and not the railways. So East Midlands Trains is exactly accurate, whereas Northern Rail suggests a level of control over the railway that doesn't exist.
 

table38

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
1,812
Location
Stalybridge
I was going to say I don't mind either railway station or train station, but it appears I've stumbled into pedant corner by accident.

Surely pedant's corner as the corner itself wouldn't be pedantic :)

(Said a pedant)
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
Surely pedant's corner as the corner itself wouldn't be pedantic :)

(Said a pedant)

*bangs head on table*

Pedants' corner. Plural. I hate people who can't use apostrophes properly. (Pedant corner would also be correct, though. It's a compound noun, like train station.)
 

table38

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
1,812
Location
Stalybridge
*bangs head on table*

Pedants' corner. Plural. I hate people who can't use apostrophes properly. (Pedant corner would also be correct, though. It's a compound noun, like train station.)

I was thinking of it in a more posessive way, ie. the corner belonging to the pedants.
 

table38

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
1,812
Location
Stalybridge
Well that was fun :)

(probably spent too much of my life reading Pedantry Corner in Private Eye :))
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Railway station. Railway has more oomph and gravitas than Train. I also don't like it in TOC names... Compare Virgin Trains with Chiltern Railways... East Midlands Trains compared with Great North Eastern Railway...

Arriva Trains Wales ;)
 

Michael.Y

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2011
Messages
1,437
Arriva Trains Wales ;)

Ahem. Thought I'd leave my employers out of it ;)

Although renaming it "Rheilffordd Arriva Railways" would sort out the stupid situation of the word Arriva appearing twice in the logo.

Yes, but they're train operating companies, that is they only run the trains and not the railways. So East Midlands Trains is exactly accurate, whereas Northern Rail suggests a level of control over the railway that doesn't exist.

Absolutely, but it's all about semantics, semiotics and aesthetics. I like to consider the machine and the track as one single entity - one can't exist without the other - the train can't run without tracks, and without a train to run on it, the track serves no other purpose. OK - in this post-privatisation world two separate legal entities may look after the two sides of the coin, but in the end, they're two halves of a whole.
 
Last edited:

43021HST

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2008
Messages
1,565
Location
Taunton
Here's a little fact:
The term aerodrome was taken out of the dictionary a little while ago.
I wonder whether people were having this debate about aerodrome and airport about 50 years ago.

I dont mind train station, (prefer to use railway station) but I cant stand it when people say train tracks, it sounds so juvenile.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top