• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train operator fraud investigation. Advice on settlement chances

rAishwarya

New Member
Joined
2 Oct 2026
Messages
1
Location
Guildford
Hi everyone,

I am looking for advice on how a train operating company (TOC) typically handles an investigation into manual expense receipts submitted for service disruptions.

The Situation:
I received an email from an investigator stating they are manually reviewing a handful of manual receipts I submitted over the last few months. They mentioned they are contacting the third party to verify them.

The receipts are genuine but I was given by a local taxi driver who used other taxi non genuine receipts. I have a completely clean record and have never been stopped for fare evasion or anything similar before.

My Goal:
I want to resolve this privately. I want to avoid court, avoid a criminal record, and protect my background check. I have the funds available to immediately repay the money paid out to me along with any administrative/investigative costs the TOC asks for.

My Questions:
  1. If I reply politely, take responsibility for the discrepancies, and offer to immediately repay the money + costs, what are the realistic chances they will offer an out-of-court administrative settlement rather than prosecuting?
  2. Does anyone have experience with how the major operators handle offenses for such fake disruption claims of this value?
  3. Should I handle the communication directly myself using a cooperative email, or am I safer hiring a specialist solicitor to negotiate the settlement for me?
Thank you for any advice.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,646
Location
Merseyside
You say that your receipts are genuine. So what is the problem? I think you need to be expressly clear about what you have done wrong.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,816
The receipts are genuine but I was given by a local taxi driver who used other taxi non genuine receipts. I
So they're genuine receipts that aren't actually genuine - perhaps because you filled them in yourself?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Thank you for any advice.
If you have submitted fraudulent claims, then you would probably be best advised to co-operate. The train company will be looking to recover the amount they have paid out plus an amount to cover the expenses that they have incurred in investigating this.
 

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,221
The receipts are genuine but I was given by a local taxi driver who used other taxi non genuine receipts.
  1. Does anyone have experience with how the major operators handle offenses for such fake disruption claims of this value?

I think it's going to be difficult to give further advice without you explaining the meaning of the comments highlighted above.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,646
Location
Merseyside
It sounds to me like you have obtained blank receipts from a taxi driver and then filled these in to make a claim for a journey you have not actually made.

This makes the entire thing illegitimate and the receipts not genuine. I say this to dispel any idea that just because they've been obtained from a taxi driver it makes them valid.

In order for them to be valid they would need to be filled in by a person authorised to fill them in and for a journey that was genuinely and legitimately made and paid for.

So in essence you have been submitting false receipts for a taxi journey that you did not make?
 

Swedenorer

Member
Joined
28 Sep 2025
Messages
325
Location
Hants
Be clear by referring to third parties they could investigate the Driver who is supposed to have issued the receipts. If he did not issue them he could be in trouble along with you.

1. Who wrote the receipts?

2. Is he a hackney driver?
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,890
I don't think we've ever seen a case like this before. It would probably be helpful to see the email you've been sent. What kind of sums have you claimed incorrectly?

If you've been submitting fraudulent receipts you're lucky they haven't just passed this onto the police to deal with.
 

cf111

Established Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,394
If you have been submitting forged taxi receipts to a TOC for ficticious journeys then I think an out of court settlement is unlikely because a prosecution for such behaviour is likely to pass the public interest test. It goes beyond "simple" fare evasion as you gained financially from such behaviour, as opposed to simply saving money by not buying a ticket.

In short, I think the prosecutor will feel that it serves the public interest to put you before a court instead of dealing with the matter in-house. This is an unusual situation, I would strongly suggest speaking to a solicitor and being candid with them about exactly what you have done so they can advise you appropriately. I agree with @skyhigh, I'm surprised the police aren't involved.
 

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,320
Location
Reading
In a situation like this I'd suggest you offer them a quick settlement (leaning towards a generous interpretation of their perceived loss) without admitting any liability to encourage them to lose any incentive to investigate it further.

You might seek legal assistance to get the wording of that right, avoiding the pitfalls.

If they investigate further, indeed they might well decide it lies beyond their competence (not really a railway offence) and ought to be handled by the police as a routine case of fraud.

The amount of money involved may influence what happens - how much very approximately? People can end up in jail for this sort of thing.

Take professional advice before replying.
 
Last edited:

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,308
Certainly an unusual one on here.

Though if it’s a taxi driver giving blank receipts to the customer I’ve certainly experienced that in the past so it must be or once was presumably fairly common

To be clear it’s an occasion when I’ve taken a taxi for a work trip, asked for a receipt in order to claim the expense and the drive has just given it to me and basically said ‘fill in what you like’

Not experienced this in recent years but I hardly ever use taxis anymore.
 

Top