I couldn't care less about the PA system and indeed I wouldn't want or suggest that the PA system includes headcode information in its announcements. I see nothing in the proposal which confuses other passengers. I agree with the sentiment that there's already an overload of information on many PA systems on our railway.
This thread is "Passenger information displays should show headcodes". There is no need to extend this to "PA announcements should include headcodes".
As Dr Hoo said, it has to be duplicated due to equality for those with sight problems.
Why not get rid of some of the other cr*p then? Do we really need announcements about see-it-say-it, unattended luggage, inclement weather, no smoking, number of carriages, incessant exhaustive listings of every little onboard facility, location of the left-luggage office etc. etc.?
I agree with you but I can't see that happening either as there is no will in the industry to reduce announcements, only increase them.
At Crewe you used to get told platform, company, train type, time of departure, destination, calling points, zones where you can find the first class, where to find the cafe area (or if there is an onboard trolley), where to find the quiet coach etc. It's awful in some areas and the stations where any sort of service code would be of any use to people, are the same stations which are flooded with announcements.
You have done nothing to explain to me why a headcode is any better in this respect than an RSID (which, in the vast majority of cases, should be unique).
The average passenger has no clue what a headcode is. So there is no reason that an RSID should be any more confusing for them than a headcode.
RSID is just more random compared to a headcode like Bletchleyite showed. People want an easy way to know if that is their train or not, not a countdown conundrum which no one actually knows any details of until they google it. Any code which has to be put out to the public should really try and follow a pattern. The one above which I was swayed to was operator code (Operator is already shown out there so using the operator code shouldn't be much of an issue and it may help people to check the operator they are travelling with (Operator specific fares for example you can say 'only use trains with a VT' code). You then have a number, letter and 2 more numbers. Since many trains with first 2 characters are going the same way, some passengers may become familiar with these 2 codes and in times of disruption may naturally navigate towards these trains. For example, people on the WCML may get to know that 1S or 9S trains are heading to Preston, Lancaster, Carlisle and so may gravitate naturally towards these trains for the intermediate stations. Alternatively, staff on the ground may know stopping patterns for trains with certain headcodes and again in times of disruption, it's much easier to tell people to board 'A 9S service' rather than being forced to go online to search for what the RSID is for each service (Codes are confusing and of course I trust staff on the ground wouldn't advise codes to those who would be confused by them but it will help staff remember and provide information quicker than a random code).
No you wouldn't. Simply tag it onto the TOC name. So replace "Operated by Northen", "(Northern)" or "A Northern service" with "Northern service NTxxxx". Barely takes up any more room at all.
For it to be done in the same way which is being shown as per international, new screens would be needed. If done as you suggested, it wouldn't need more space, I agree.
Indeed. In my opinion, the vast majority of the arguments against implementing this kind of thing are already disproven by the fact that it works absolutely fine in Germany and other continental European countries anyway. I can't stand it when rail enthusiasts treat passengers as ignorant sheep who can't cope with anything more than being drip-fed information in tiny quantities, and will boggle at so much as a 6-character code on a departure board...
While it may work in Germany, doesn't mean it will work everywhere.
I am certainly not treating passengers as ignorant sheep, I am basing my opinion on actual observations and by knowing plenty of people who can not handle more information. a 6 character code on it's own is fine but combined with the amount of other information on the railways, it can overload people with certain mental health issues and for those who aren't overly familiar with the railway (including those without mental health issues), the existing information is already too much.
We clearly know very different people but based on the people that I know and the difficulties which I know some people have, splashing codes everywhere will make it worse, not better for them travelling.