• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train delayed by 2 minutes. Missed connection. Options?

Musicman6

Member
Joined
7 Sep 2026
Messages
6
Location
Exmouth
Booked West Byfleet to Exmouth via Rf tickets.
The West Byfleet to Woking connection delayed by 1min 50 sec! But didn't give me enough time to identify platform required, cross bridge to get connection. I had 4 minutes max.
Booking ref. E-D8S9R73BD. Can I claim delay repay?

Having SWW only ticket, could I use cross-country/GWR with this ticket? Or do I have to wait at Basingstoke for the next SWW train to Exeter?

Thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
14 Jul 2024
Messages
99
Location
Wales
Woking has a 5 minute minimum connection time.

If you arrive at Woking with less than this time to make your connection, due to a delay, but were originally scheduled to have at least 5 mins, then you won’t be at fault for missing a connection.

You can’t automatically board a GWR or XC service with a SWR-only ticket in the event of a missed connection. The new-ish policy around travelling with other “participating operators” only applies to cancellations.

Board the next SWR and claim delay repay if applicable, unless you happen to find a sympathetic staff member in a position to permit you to travel. Often hanging around the rear of a GWR train there will be a train manager who steps off onto the platform to observe, you could position yourself to be able to quickly ask them.
 
Last edited:

Mike99

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2011
Messages
868
Location
G E M L
Booked West Byfleet to Exmouth via Rf tickets.
The West Byfleet to Woking connection delayed by 1min 50 sec! But didn't give me enough time to identify platform required, cross bridge to get connection. I had 4 minutes max.
Booking ref. E-D8S9R73BD. Can I claim delay repay?

Having SWW only ticket, could I use cross-country/GWR with this ticket? Or do I have to wait at Basingstoke for the next SWW train to Exeter?

Thanks!
Was this today? did you depart West Byfleet at 11:21?
 

Musicman6

Member
Joined
7 Sep 2026
Messages
6
Location
Exmouth
After 10.08 there were no more SWR trains to Exeter. So I had to travel via Reading.
I presume I can claim abandoned journey? Since I had to buy alternative ticket. 1
 
Joined
14 Jul 2024
Messages
99
Location
Wales
Departed West Byfleet 4 mins late, arrived Woking (pl.5) 1 min late at 0930.

The 0934 Portsmouth Harbour service from platform 4 departed on time. You would have had 2-3mins to make this connection.

You were below the 5 minute min connection time due to the 1 minute delay.

You shouldn’t have had to buy an alternative ticket for a situation that wasn’t your fault, SWR staff at Woking station should have advised you of your rerouting options.

Your next SWR-only option was to take the 1134 from Woking, via Basingstoke, to arrive 1502. Resulting in a two hour delay, which isn’t acceptable when alternatives exist and the PRO should permit rerouting.
 

Top