• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE bodycams flashing red - meaning

speedy1

Member
Joined
1 Sep 2023
Messages
401
Location
Mossley
On a few TPE services recently the revenue staff have been on board and I've noticed their cams are flashing red as they are walking around or sat in 1st class on a break etc.

Is a flashing red LED at a 'normal' speed an indicator that's it's recording video and audio? If so, is that in line with TPE policy to record when there is no threat, no incident, etc?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

notspy

Member
Joined
1 Mar 2023
Messages
66
Location
Manchester
Flashing red is a pre-record setting, i.e. if activated it will save the last 30 seconds before activation. Steady red is activated and recording.
 

muz379

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2014
Messages
2,505
If so, is that in line with TPE policy to record when there is no threat, no incident, etc?
Is that actually a policy ?

I mean on board CCTV is recording all of the time whether there is a threat, incident or everything is perfectly normal ?
 

speedy1

Member
Joined
1 Sep 2023
Messages
401
Location
Mossley
I worded it badly. I meant is there any such policy.

And regarding your implication that constant bodycam recording is fine, I disagree as it includes audio.

Anyway, no need for this thread to veer off in another direction. Question was answered :)
 

Olivine

Member
Joined
4 May 2023
Messages
136
Location
thatcham
Is that actually a policy ?

I mean on board CCTV is recording all of the time whether there is a threat, incident or everything is perfectly normal ?
Just for clarification

Most, if not all bodycams record all the time when out of the dock. Varying between models, then then overwrite the video/audio from two minutes prior, and when the bodycam is activated it will effectively keep the recording from 2 minutes before, and onwards.

Stops the ‘well what did you say to him that made him upset’ rather than only activating when it’s pressed!
 

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,277
I worded it badly. I meant is there any such policy.

And regarding your implication that constant bodycam recording is fine, I disagree as it includes audio.

Anyway, no need for this thread to veer off in another direction. Question was answered :)
Pre-record doesn't record audio until the camera is activated in my experience.
 

Mike_0ne

Member
Joined
19 Jul 2012
Messages
13
Pre-record doesn't record audio until the camera is activated in my experience.
Depends on models, most current gen and future will also pre record sound too for 30 sec.
As an aside, I'll always vouch for staff to wear them... especially for the verbal abuse they face... the Magistrates *love* BWV far more than CCTV.
 

Undiscovered

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2013
Messages
551
Depends on the model of the body cam.

Ours display lights at all times, which alter when the camera is active, either in colour, or intensity, both or neither.

However, it it always records, both audio and visual, on a set, timed self deleting, rolling loop.
That footage only formally saved when the camera is activated by the wearer. It saves audio and visual footage again, until deactivated.

Staff know how to recognise if a body cam is active, and we know how long they record, 'pre-activation'. I've not published these details here, for obvious reasons

Edit: I can activate my body cam at any time I wish. During ticket checks, during general walkthroughs, whenever I wish. I am not permitted to film in Staff Only areas, like mess rooms etc.
 
Last edited:

speedy1

Member
Joined
1 Sep 2023
Messages
401
Location
Mossley
I'm pretty surprised to learn all this to be honest. (Apologies if I've misunderstood things, I've got yet another cold)

These were definitely bought in under the justification of activated-when-necessary, as a deterrent, to be used for escalating situations

eg https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/abo...r-anglia-conductors-deter-abuse-railway-staff

Conductors on Greater Anglia trains are being issued with new ‘badge cams’ to deter anti-social behaviour and staff assaults.

Every conductor now has access to one of the hi-tech badges – which contain a small built-in video camera - to help them defuse difficult situations.

The badge cam works by constantly recording, but not actively storing footage until a flap is flicked. Once the camera has been activated, it will keep filming until it is stopped. 30 seconds of footage prior to the activation is also automatically stored – useful in case of an escalating situation.

Green and red lights will also show, while a camera symbol will also be unveiled, so it is clear that a recording is being made.

Now they're recording for longer, can be activated whenever you like for any purpose, and no standard for knowing when recording is active - almost on purpose ("which alter when the camera is active, either in colour, or intensity, both or neither" ?) ?

edit:

The ICO also says:

Some BWV devices offer the ability to continuously buffer recording, so if you turn it on it may also have recorded the previous few seconds. It is important that you ensure any buffered recording is not excessive, and you only record the amount of footage you intend to.

Are they aware of 120 seconds of pre-recording?

and

It may be appropriate for a security guard to switch on their BWV camera when they believe an individual is being aggressive towards them. However, it may not be appropriate to switch it on when an individual is merely asking for directions.
 
Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,603
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I wonder what the legality is with regard to the pre-recording in places like lavatories, where an offence could be committed by filming, particularly if children are using the facility? I wonder has there been a test case here?

Can staff turn the camera off completely when using the lavatory?
 

Top