• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Totally confused about on the spot fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,653
Location
Merseyside
.....but it's a new experience to many, who get flustered when presented with technology like this, or don't see any barriers at their exit station, or the barriers are open......

I am not going to purchase expensive travelcards for staff who don't need them and not all fares have U1* type destinations available.

All the more reason to educate them on the basics on using Oyster. Not difficult, just talk them though the concepts to avoid situations such as those in this post.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Robbiew

New Member
Joined
23 Sep 2015
Messages
3
I feel I should clarify.
Work gave me an oyster card I'd never seen before (not issued to me) just one I was expected to give back. My dad then also gave me his and told me I could use that if the work one ran out (first job and still young so dads will be dads).
the ticket and the whole London Terminals thing was not brought up at the time and i only found out afterwards it could of counted as a valid ticket when my dad told me. I had just been using it to go to London from where I live and then from st Pancras to London.
The fare I was accused of avoiding was for one short stop, I don't think it would of been more than the maximum fare (whatever that is).
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,487
Location
Yorkshire
I feel I should clarify.
Work gave me an oyster card I'd never seen before (not issued to me) just one I was expected to give back. My dad then also gave me his and told me I could use that if the work one ran out (first job and still young so dads will be dads).
the ticket and the whole London Terminals thing was not brought up at the time and i only found out afterwards it could of counted as a valid ticket when my dad told me. I had just been using it to go to London from where I live and then from st Pancras to London.
The fare I was accused of avoiding was for one short stop, I don't think it would of been more than the maximum fare (whatever that is).
Without much more information, I couldn't really comment.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,487
Location
Yorkshire
For any meaningful discussion to take place we would need to know more information about the journey(s) made, ticket(s) held and actions taken.

There are various things that confuse me such as the concept of the work Oyster running out. I suspect there may have been some fundamental misunderstandings.

The most recent post hasn't clarified much but has raised even more questions.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
I feel I should clarify.
Work gave me an oyster card I'd never seen before (not issued to me) just one I was expected to give back. My dad then also gave me his and told me I could use that if the work one ran out (first job and still young so dads will be dads).
the ticket and the whole London Terminals thing was not brought up at the time and i only found out afterwards it could of counted as a valid ticket when my dad told me. I had just been using it to go to London from where I live and then from st Pancras to London.
The fare I was accused of avoiding was for one short stop, I don't think it would of been more than the maximum fare (whatever that is).

I kind of see what you are trying to say here as some tickets do have validity a bit further in from where you would normally think it would end. Did you first journey end at somewhere like Blackfriars or London bridge then you get the Thameslink to St Pancras whilst not exiting the station?

And it is a bit pedantic but St Pancras is in London which is why I think you changed services south of the river.
 

Robbiew

New Member
Joined
23 Sep 2015
Messages
3
Just to conclude this, i got a letter today and it is being settled out of court with a larger fine that was originally offered but still nothing particularly bad. I highly commend Northern Rail for their speed, and not pursuing this mistake further than it needed to go.
Thanks for all your information, really helped me understand what was going on :)
 
Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,732
Location
Scotland
Just to conclude this, i got a letter today and it is being settled out of court with a larger fine that was originally offered but still nothing particularly bad. I highly commend Northern Rail for not pursuing this mistake further than it needed to go.
Thanks for all your information, really helped me understand what was going on :)
Northern? St Pancras? Colour me confused!
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,487
Location
Yorkshire
Just to conclude this, i got a letter today and it is being settled out of court with a larger fine that was originally offered but still nothing particularly bad. I highly commend Northern Rail for their speed, and not pursuing this mistake further than it needed to go.
Thanks for all your information, really helped me understand what was going on :)
I think by "fine" you mean "out of court settlement" and by "Northern Rail" you mean "Govia Thameslink Railway". If so then the above makes sense.
 

talltim

Established Member
Joined
17 Jan 2010
Messages
2,454
I
I still hear the occasional RPI speaking in terms of "fining you £20" rather then to "issue a PF". Use of language is very important.
The TM on my EMT train yesterday called it a £20 fine twice before leaving Sheffield
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top