_toommm_
Established Member
It pains me to be posting in this part of the forum as someone who has succumb to the rules, but here we go.
I was making a very early journey from Leeds to Oban, which I booked on TrainSplit. Due to lack of sleep, I forgot to bring my card to collect my tickets, as I normally just pay with Apple Pay. I tried to collect at the ticket office, but the one person couldn’t change it/wasn’t allowed to change it to allow it to be released, so I was told to ask on the train. I approached the guard/TM on the Crosscountry service before departure, and she said take a seat. I of course cooperated with giving her my details and provisional license, and showed her the TOD reference and I apologised as I know it’s my fault. She said she’d put in the report that I cooperated and hopefully they’d just ask for proof of my tickets. She also issued a zero fare ticket.
I’ve received the below letter today, asking for a payment of £193.80, which is a relief that they aren’t going straight for prosecution. I understand from being on the forum for a few years that this is obviously my fault, and it may be a strict liability offence? I also understand that it may take a few appeals to reason with TIL. Does anyone have any advice please? For clarity, when the TrainSplit Customer Service opened in the morning, they changed it swiftly to any card and I collected it at Queen Street.
Thanks in advance!
I was making a very early journey from Leeds to Oban, which I booked on TrainSplit. Due to lack of sleep, I forgot to bring my card to collect my tickets, as I normally just pay with Apple Pay. I tried to collect at the ticket office, but the one person couldn’t change it/wasn’t allowed to change it to allow it to be released, so I was told to ask on the train. I approached the guard/TM on the Crosscountry service before departure, and she said take a seat. I of course cooperated with giving her my details and provisional license, and showed her the TOD reference and I apologised as I know it’s my fault. She said she’d put in the report that I cooperated and hopefully they’d just ask for proof of my tickets. She also issued a zero fare ticket.
I’ve received the below letter today, asking for a payment of £193.80, which is a relief that they aren’t going straight for prosecution. I understand from being on the forum for a few years that this is obviously my fault, and it may be a strict liability offence? I also understand that it may take a few appeals to reason with TIL. Does anyone have any advice please? For clarity, when the TrainSplit Customer Service opened in the morning, they changed it swiftly to any card and I collected it at Queen Street.
Thanks in advance!
