• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket Splits - What are the best UK ticket splits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VisualAcid

Member
Joined
17 Oct 2013
Messages
142
Keynsham is always a good place to start for splitting when I'm heading from Oldfield Park towards anywhere via Bristol, although it often takes longer than Oldfield to Bristol to convince the guard so I have to do it at Temple Meads :lol:
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Perns1972

Member
Joined
17 Jul 2012
Messages
38
Thanks for your responses so far - I have one more related question:

Which ticket split sites would you recommend? And what are their shortcomings?
 

Buttsy

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,374
Location
Hanborough
Thanks for your responses so far - I have one more related question:

Which ticket split sites would you recommend? And what are their shortcomings?

You might get a pedantic guard that will make you get off and on again at the split stations.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469
You might get a pedantic guard that will make you get off and on again at the split stations.

... which you don't have to comply with, courtesy of NRCoC Condition 19(b).
 

scarby

Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
891
Making some assumptions as to what qualifies, I think the "best" I can come up with is York - Derby day return departing at 0826 or 0845. Cross Country want you to pay £89.50 for an Anytime Return (there is no Anytime Day Return)

However all trains call at Sheffield, so you get a York - Sheffield Anytime Day Return £19.80 and a Sheffield - Derby off-peak Day Return £10.80 totalling £30.60. Valid any train on the way back.

This reduces the price to around 1/3 of the fare with a simple split.

Thanks for this info, Yorkie.

I kept this info in mind and I am travelling one way from York to Derby at the end of the month.

While the saving is not as big, I am purchasing a York to Sheffield Anytime Day Single for £17.70 and a Sheffield-Derby Off-Peak Day Single for £10.70 - a saving of £12.20 on the Off-Peak Day Single price of £40.60.

(I did not want to buy an advance ticket as while I know the day I am unsure of which train I will catch on the day).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top