A few weeks ago, I travelled from Kenilworth to Colchester on a Super Off-Peak Return ticket valid only via Banbury. I booked the ticket online and collecting a paper ticket was the only delivery option due to the TfL portion of the journey.
When I turned up at Kenilworth to catch the 14:08 Kenilworth to Leamington Spa (14:15) to then connect to the 14:20 Leamington Spa to London Marylebone, the single ticket machine at Kenilworth was out of service. I therefore decided to board the train without a printed ticket, and instead collect it at Leamington. At Leamington, the staff member at the ticket gate was sympathetic to my situation and allowed me to exit to collect the ticket from the machines there. As a result, I managed to do so quickly and still managed to catch the 14:20 to London.
While everything went well in this instance, I started to wonder about the following questions and would like to hear the opinions of the experts in this forum.
1. I know that I'm allowed to board a train without a ticket if there are no ticketing facilities at the departure station and then buy a ticket from the guard or at the destination. Technically, could I have been forced to buy a Kenilworth - Leamington Spa ticket to exit at Leamington to collect my ticket?
2. If I had missed the connection at Leamington, would I have been able to claim delay repay (assuming I would still have been 15+ minutes late at the final destination)?
3. What if I had an Advance ticket and had missed my connection? Would staff on the Leamington to London Marylebone and London Liverpool St to Colchester services be able to verify my claim regarding the broken ticket machine at Kenilworth?
4. Would there have been a point in speaking to the guard on the Kenilworth - Leamington service?
When I turned up at Kenilworth to catch the 14:08 Kenilworth to Leamington Spa (14:15) to then connect to the 14:20 Leamington Spa to London Marylebone, the single ticket machine at Kenilworth was out of service. I therefore decided to board the train without a printed ticket, and instead collect it at Leamington. At Leamington, the staff member at the ticket gate was sympathetic to my situation and allowed me to exit to collect the ticket from the machines there. As a result, I managed to do so quickly and still managed to catch the 14:20 to London.
While everything went well in this instance, I started to wonder about the following questions and would like to hear the opinions of the experts in this forum.
1. I know that I'm allowed to board a train without a ticket if there are no ticketing facilities at the departure station and then buy a ticket from the guard or at the destination. Technically, could I have been forced to buy a Kenilworth - Leamington Spa ticket to exit at Leamington to collect my ticket?
2. If I had missed the connection at Leamington, would I have been able to claim delay repay (assuming I would still have been 15+ minutes late at the final destination)?
3. What if I had an Advance ticket and had missed my connection? Would staff on the Leamington to London Marylebone and London Liverpool St to Colchester services be able to verify my claim regarding the broken ticket machine at Kenilworth?
4. Would there have been a point in speaking to the guard on the Kenilworth - Leamington service?