• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thread Updated with GWR’s Response To The Petition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LYradial

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2024
Messages
333
Location
welsh marches
it seems to me that the problem is the geography Yeovil pen mill is the only staffed station by GWR on the line so any relief would have to come from castle cary, its self with minimum staffing, a relief man would have nothing to do for 44 weeks a year,
I’m not sure where you would get a relief from to cover for.unexpected sickness.

not an excuse but not easy to economically provide, especially as the service on this line is not exactly frequent
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,830
it seems to me that the problem is the geography Yeovil pen mill is the only staffed station by GWR on the line so any relief would have to come from castle cary, its self with minimum staffing, a relief man would have nothing to do for 44 weeks a year,
I’m not sure where you would get a relief from to cover for.unexpected sickness.

not an excuse but not easy to economically provide, especially as the service on this line is not exactly frequent
I wouldn't be surprised if the GPR staff are based at Westbury or Taunton.
 

RPI

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2010
Messages
3,362
I wouldn't be surprised if the GPR staff are based at Westbury or Taunton.
Won't be Taunton, but more than likely Castle Cary/Frome/Westbury/Bradford/Trowbridge and Warminster. Taunton is still an ex FGW station which platform staff are a different grade to the ex Wessex ones (yep, almost 20 years after Wessex ceased to exist!)
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,946
Location
UK
GWR could either implement a mobile assist team to go around by car to do assists, or just book taxis by default. I don't know the station, but if staffing is a problem then both of these suggestions can solve them.
 

Kath123

On Moderation
Joined
2 Jul 2024
Messages
240
Location
Somerset, UK
Thanks for all the replies to this.

I haven't been told where the relief staff are based - just that there aren't many and that Yeovil Pen Mill shares relief staff with other stations (as had already been explained to me on here). Some of the other stations such as Westbury and Castle Cary GWR see as having a higher priority to receive relief when needed so if Yeovil need it at the same time as those stations it's likely Yeovil won't get it.

I've typed a complaint letter about the experience described in the first post in this thread but I don't know whether to send it.

It feels like no matter what I do GWR don't want to listen/hear. The letter probably isn't very good. I've been struggling a lot and it's taken me a long time to put it together.
 
Joined
19 Jul 2023
Messages
342
Location
Milton Keynes
Please do send your letter Kath.

I would also send a copy to Baroness Grey-Thompson at the House of Lords as she is good at bringing issues to the attention of those who can sort them.

If our politicians don't hear from those affected by real world problems they won't do anything about them.
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,894
I've typed a complaint letter about the experience described in the first post in this thread but I don't know whether to send it.
Unfortunately - if you don't send it, GWR won't know you were unhappy with the outcome and nothing will change.

If I was you I would definitely send the letter you have written.
 

matchmaker

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
1,887
Location
Central Scotland
Please do send your letter Kath.

I would also send a copy to Baroness Grey-Thompson at the House of Lords as she is good at bringing issues to the attention of those who can sort them.

If our politicians don't hear from those affected by real world problems they won't do anything about them.
That's an excellent idea.
 

Kath123

On Moderation
Joined
2 Jul 2024
Messages
240
Location
Somerset, UK
Please do send your letter Kath.

I would also send a copy to Baroness Grey-Thompson at the House of Lords as she is good at bringing issues to the attention of those who can sort them.

If our politicians don't hear from those affected by real world problems they won't do anything about them.

Thanks for the idea. I hadn’t thought of that. Hopefully it’s worth a try - I’m guessing she gets a lot of letters though…..


Thanks again to everyone for the support. I e-mailed the complaint letter to GWR and will post a copy also. Though I’ve already thought of something important I should have included but forgot so I’m a bit cross with myself however it’s a bit late now.

I don’t know if I’m allowed to post the link here or not (mods feel free to remove it) but I’ve started a petition to GWR tonight about staffing and the provision of assistance at Yeovil Pen Mill.

If anyone wants to have a read it’s here:

 

RPI

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2010
Messages
3,362
Interesting, I noticed on the GWR internal Yammer page (it's very similar to Facebook but internal) there was a post about a new member of staff at Yeovil celebrating having passed their six month probation period, so hopefully you'll see improvements!
 
Joined
19 Jul 2023
Messages
342
Location
Milton Keynes
Kath, I've also forwarded the email that one gets when signing the petition to Frances Ryan who writes for the Guardian on disability issues.
 

Kath123

On Moderation
Joined
2 Jul 2024
Messages
240
Location
Somerset, UK
Interesting, I noticed on the GWR internal Yammer page (it's very similar to Facebook but internal) there was a post about a new member of staff at Yeovil celebrating having passed their six month probation period, so hopefully you'll see improvements!

Ah I think I know who you are referring to there. That member of staff has been very helpful to me and I think they are good for Pen Mill. I’m really pleased to hear they passed their promotion. It still means the station only has two members of staff though (as they are one of them) and I fear the member of staff you just mentioned may end up up doing what the person previously in their role did and leave to be a guard or similar - they are certainly capable of that if they want to do it (and I have no idea if they do or not) Hopefully for the sake of Pen Mill they don’t.

Kath, I've also forwarded the email that one gets when signing the petition to Frances Ryan who writes for the Guardian on disability issues.

Thank you for signing. And thank you very much for e-mailing the e-Mail about the petition to Frances Ryan. I really appreciate it.

The petition has 45 signatures this morning. Not a bad start but obviously I’ve got a lot of work ahead to try and increase the number further. I contacted some of the local media eg BBC Somerset, ITV News West Country and Somerset Live on social media yesterday but I’ve not received a response.

I’ve got some physical petition forms but I’m a bit nervous about going out physically and collecting signatures.

I assume I’m not allowed to stand on train station land and collect signatures as that will be on private land?

I was thinking of sticking info about the petition/a petition form on the Ticket Office door when it is shut but I’m guessing that might get me arrested!

Any ideas for how I can get more signatures and let the people of Yeovil know about the petition much appreciated.

Thanks again.
 
Last edited:

Kath123

On Moderation
Joined
2 Jul 2024
Messages
240
Location
Somerset, UK
So today I’ve received a reply from GWR regarding my complaint re the situation outlined in the first post in this thread. They say they have nothing further to add or explain than what their Accessibility Manager has already discussed with me. Can I ask for a deadlock letter to take the complaint to the Rail Ombudsman?

The petition mentioned above now has 104 signatures which is a start but I obviously need to get more. I will be holding a Drop In Petition Signing Session at The Talbot Rooms, Birchfield Community Centre, Yeovil, BA21 5RL from 1pm to 4pm on Saturday 18th October so there is an opportunity for people to sign in person if they can’t sign online or would prefer to sign in person.

I’m still currently not feeling able to use Yeovil Pen Mill station due to the staffing situation. Which unfortunately as expected is having an impact on my life and does mean in the past few weeks I’ve had to turn down some ad hoc self employed work.
 
Last edited:
Joined
19 Jul 2023
Messages
342
Location
Milton Keynes
Kath has made the BBC news website with her petition: Visually impaired women had to cross tracks alone

"A severely visually-impaired woman said she crossed railway tracks alone to catch a train, after station staff she had booked to help her did not turn up.

Kath Vickery has now started a petition, external to improve assistance arrangements after feeling "too anxious" to use her local station - Yeovil Pen Mill in Somerset - following the "really scary experience"."

Well done Kath - hope this makes people in high places take notice
 

RyanOPlasty

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2020
Messages
164
Location
Nuneaton
If there is a shortage of staff, then surely priority should be given to allocating them to the few stations where passenger assistance is required to access the platforms.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,596
Location
LBK
If there is a shortage of staff, then surely priority should be given to allocating them to the few stations where passenger assistance is required to access the platforms.
A great many stations are inaccessible anyway due to differing platform heights and passengers may need assistance even at big places like Exeter St David's. There is, in practice, no difference between a station being inaccessible due to a barrow crossing than because one needs a ramp to access the train.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,830
the few stations where passenger assistance is required to access the platforms.
Across the network there are relatively few stations where step free access to trains is available, and huge numbers where there is no step free access to platforms. I'm really not sure why you think it could be just "the few" stations.
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,133
I've come to this thread somewhat late, but do feel that you have been badly treated and should receive a better service.

One thing to add. You say that sometimes you find it hard to find the right words when writing your letters to GWR. This forum also helps people, who have had issues with ticketing irregularities, write letters. I'm sure that if you want to post a draft of any letter you want to send, forum members will be happy to suggest alternative wording or what else to include, or indeed, to put it in rail-speak if that is appropriate.

Good luck. And to quote Churchill, "Keep bu**ering on"!
 

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,908
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
A great many stations are inaccessible anyway due to differing platform heights and passengers may need assistance even at big places like Exeter St David's. There is, in practice, no difference between a station being inaccessible due to a barrow crossing than because one needs a ramp to access the train.

Across the network there are relatively few stations where step free access to trains is available, and huge numbers where there is no step free access to platforms. I'm really not sure why you think it could be just "the few" stations.
It might be possible though to allocate staff to the stations where there are known disabled users known to be encountering issues on a regular basis. That applies to Pen Mill from the sounds of it as we've had a few threads about it (and I appreciate they are all by OP but you only need a single disabled person wanting to be a regular user for this too apply).
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,329
Kath has made the BBC news website with her petition: Visually impaired women had to cross tracks alone

"A severely visually-impaired woman said she crossed railway tracks alone to catch a train, after station staff she had booked to help her did not turn up.

Kath Vickery has now started a petition, external to improve assistance arrangements after feeling "too anxious" to use her local station - Yeovil Pen Mill in Somerset - following the "really scary experience"."

Well done Kath - hope this makes people in high places take notice
This is really good to read - thanks for sharing the story.

Well done indeed @Kath123 (though I know you'd rather not have to do this, and indeed should not have to)

Actually - occurs to me that it might be an 'excuse' to share the BBC story with your MP given the previous discussions you have had with them - probably nothing more than e-mailing them with the link to the article and saying in a covering message eg "You will recall discussing this with me in the past, I thought you might like to read this BBC article that highlights the situation, and includes a link to my petition which you would be welcome to sign if you felt able to do so" type of thing.
 

RyanOPlasty

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2020
Messages
164
Location
Nuneaton
Across the network there are relatively few stations where step free access to trains is available, and huge numbers where there is no step free access to platforms. I'm really not sure why you think it could be just "the few" stations.
I was referring to the BBC article regarding stations in Somerset specifically, as these are likely to be affected by the staff shortages.

Of Somerset's 10 national rail stations, four (40%) do not have step-free access to all platforms, which can be used independently of station staff, according to information listed on the National Rail website.
 

Kath123

On Moderation
Joined
2 Jul 2024
Messages
240
Location
Somerset, UK
Kath has made the BBC news website with her petition: Visually impaired women had to cross tracks alone

"A severely visually-impaired woman said she crossed railway tracks alone to catch a train, after station staff she had booked to help her did not turn up.

Kath Vickery has now started a petition, external to improve assistance arrangements after feeling "too anxious" to use her local station - Yeovil Pen Mill in Somerset - following the "really scary experience"."

Well done Kath - hope this makes people in high places take notice

Thanks for posting this and your kind words. I don’t think anything will ever change though. GWR seem absolutely determined they don’t want to change things.

This notice on the National Rail website states Yeovil Pen Mill was unstaffed this morning from 7am to 11am https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/yeovil-pen-mill/

When I asked GWR about it they said someone at Yeovil is on leave and they’ve chosen to send the two cover staff they have for the area to Westbury and Castle Cary.

Staffing at the station is erratic and unreliable all year round. Things will never change. I am drained, exhausted and fed up.

Why don’t GWR just sell the station if they don’t care about it?
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,596
Location
LBK
This does seem to all rest on GWR recruiting extra staff - is there a reason why they are not? The DfT hold the purse strings; are they stopping an increase in headcount? @Kath123 have you received any answer to this?

Why don’t GWR just sell the station if they don’t care about it?
Well they don't own it, for a start!
 

Kath123

On Moderation
Joined
2 Jul 2024
Messages
240
Location
Somerset, UK
Hi

Thanks all for the replies. Apologies for the delay replying. I’ve been busy preparing for the Drop In Petition Signing Session I will be holding at Birchfield Community Centre, Yeovil from 1pm to 4pm tomorrow to give people an opportunity to sign my petition to GWR in person. Feeling nervous but determined.

I wish I didn’t have to go to these lengths to try and get GWR to staff and manage the station properly as they should already be doing but I feel left with no choice and I was no longer prepared to stand by, watch & not take public action. The decisions to start the petition/arrange an in person petition signing session/speak to the media are not decisions I took lightly but they are steps I’ve now felt the need to take.

The petition now has 139 signatures online. Thanks to anyone who has signed.

I’ve been very disappointed to learn from the National Rail website that Yeovil Pen Mill was unstaffed all day Wednesday this week and this afternoon (Friday) https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/yeovil-pen-mill/ . It is especially disheartening as BBC Somerset and BBC Points West had covered my concerns about staffing at the station last week and I had hoped that would make GWR think a bit about what they are doing.

When I found out Yeovil Pen Mill was going to be unstaffed part of this week I was very tempted to type out a sign asking people to sign the petition and then put it on the Ticket Office door but I guess that would get me in some trouble?

I don't see why not. Although temper your expectation - it's fair to say this forum's collective experience with them is they're usually pretty useless.

Hi thanks for replying about this. GWR have provided a deadlock letter. But I hear what you say and am also starting to have my own doubts and fears about proceeding to the Ombudsman cos I fear they might see things GWR’s way not mine. I was originally really keen to go down this path but I’m not so sure now. GWR provided me with a deadlock letter within about an hour of me asking for it which makes me think they are confident the Rail Ombudsman would rule in their favour. I had an experience with the NHS Ombudsman about 10 years ago where I took a complaint to them which an NHS Trust had already partially upheld but the Ombudsman decided not to uphold it at all so actually the result went backwards for me. I’ll have a little bit more of a think about what to do but I’ll probably leave it.

This does seem to all rest on GWR recruiting extra staff - is there a reason why they are not? The DfT hold the purse strings; are they stopping an increase in headcount? @Kath123 have you received any answer to this?
Hi yes well when I met with GWR in May they were mentioning they were considering recruiting more relief staff for the area but said it had to be approved from ‘up above’. When they said that I thought they meant up above within GWR but do they mean within Department Of Transport? You say the DfT hold the purse strings. I didn’t realise this. Please could you or someone else explain a bit more?

When I asked the Accessibility Manager at GWR for an update on staffing/relief staff on 26th August they basically told me I was being too impatient.

GWR have indicated that they feel that they would not be likely to be successful in bidding for Accessibility funding such as Access For All Funding for Yeovil Pen Mill.

Well they don't own it, for a start!

Very true - in my moment of frustration I forgot that! But they do have the responsibility for staffing it and have trains running through it. Is this something they choose or they allocated it?
 
Last edited:

35B

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2011
Messages
5,555
If you're engaging in the political sphere, it's worth understanding that GWR operate under a tightly specified contract with DfT. That means that they have limited freedom of action (e.g. budgets for staff), but that there may be scope for political pressure (e.g. MPs asking pointed questions of ministers at DfT).

On the other hand, the political trick of this kind of "privatisation" is that it allows ministers/government departments to say "it's X wot does it", despite leaving them minimal scope to actually manage the situation.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,830
When they said that I thought they meant up above within GWR but do they mean within Department Of Transport?
All recruitment by a train company that increases headcount will require DfT approval, and a strong business case. DfT are paying for the staff not GWR, because that's the way all train companies are being run at present. First Group, who manage GWR, receove a fee for providing that service. However, nationalisation makes no difference to DfT needing to approve recruitment.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,596
Location
LBK
Very true - in my moment of frustration I forgot that! But they do have the responsibility for staffing it and have trains running through it. Is this something they choose or they allocated it?
They don't get to choose which stations they run. To really simplify matters, as @35B and @Haywain say, the Government hold all the keys and GWR have very limited latitude to make any changes.
 

Kath123

On Moderation
Joined
2 Jul 2024
Messages
240
Location
Somerset, UK
Hi

Thanks for all the replies again.

If you're engaging in the political sphere, it's worth understanding that GWR operate under a tightly specified contract with DfT. That means that they have limited freedom of action (e.g. budgets for staff), but that there may be scope for political pressure (e.g. MPs asking pointed questions of ministers at DfT).

On the other hand, the political trick of this kind of "privatisation" is that it allows ministers/government departments to say "it's X wot does it", despite leaving them minimal scope to actually manage the situation.

Ok so I probably need to get my MP to contact DfT then? My MP has been involved before, is aware of the petition and shared details of the Drop In Petition Signing Session on X (Twitter) though has not signed it. They have said previously though that GWR are a private company so they don’t know if government can have much influence on them/hold them to account.

All recruitment by a train company that increases headcount will require DfT approval, and a strong business case. DfT are paying for the staff not GWR, because that's the way all train companies are being run at present. First Group, who manage GWR, receove a fee for providing that service. However, nationalisation makes no difference to DfT needing to approve recruitment.

They don't get to choose which stations they run. To really simplify matters, as @35B and @Haywain say, the Government hold all the keys and GWR have very limited latitude to make any changes.

Ok this is all very useful information thank you.

To help me understand a bit more which of these three things does DfT say to GWR?

‘You can have a total of X headcount for all your stations - spread them out as you like’

‘You can have X headcount for X station’

‘You can have X relief staff to cover X area’


Since January I have been keeping a list of dates when I know that Yeovil Pen Mill station has either not been staffed for the day or has had reduced hours staffing.

I have gathered this information from various resources such as when planning my own travels, messages on the National Rail website and speaking to station staff.

The list is below and I think these dates will only be very much the tip of the iceberg. For those who don’t know the GWR website states staffing hours for the station are 07:20 - 18:25 Monday to Friday, Saturday 07:20 - 14:10 and Sundays 14:30 - 17:00

These are the dates I have that it has been unstaffed or been staffed for reduced hours:

Sunday 12th January - unstaffed

Friday 17th January - staffed only 07:20 to 12:30

Sunday 26th January - unstaffed

Wednesday 29th January - unstaffed

Thursday 30th January - unstaffed

Friday 31st January - staffed only 07:20 to 12:30

Monday 31st March - unstaffed

Tuesday 1st April - unstaffed

Friday 2nd May - unstaffed for at least some of the afternoon

Sunday 25th May - unstaffed

Wednesday 28th May - unstaffed

Thursday 29th May - staffed only 07:30 to 14:25

Friday 30th May - staffed only 07:20 to 14:25

Monday 9th June - unstaffed

Tuesday 10th June - unstaffed

Thursday 12th June - staffed 08:30 to 18:25

Friday 13th June staffed 08:30 to 18:25

Saturday 14th June - unstaffed

Friday 1st August - staffed 09:30 to 18:25

Sunday 24th August - unstaffed

Monday 25th August - unstaffed

Tuesday 26th August - staffed 09:10 to 18:25

Friday 29th August - staffed 11:00 to 18:25

Saturday 30th August - unstaffed

Friday 10th October unstaffed from 7am to 11am

Wednesday 15th October - unstaffed

Friday 17th October - staffed only 07:20 to 12:25

Sunday 19th October - unstaffed

It was explained to me when I met with GWR in May that it is voluntary whether staff work Sundays and that one of the two members of staff who work at Yeovil Pen Mill doesn’t wish to work Sundays so the station will only receive any Sunday staffing on around 50% of Sundays. I don’t know how Saturday staffing is going aside from what is on the list above…..

Surely given the list above GWR are breaching some kind of contract?

Can anyone please help me understand my rights when collecting petition signatures? My Psychologist saw me on BBC Points West news and seems to generally support the petition but said she thinks if I go down to the station to try and collect signatures when they are unstaffed GWR/Network Rail will ban me from the station. Is this likely? She also said she thinks if I put a sign on the Ticket Office door about the Petition I’d get in trouble for defacing the building? Is that also right?

Google suggests that if you are going to try to collect signatures for a petition at a train station to stand just off station property but I don’t know where to stand at Pen Mill as I guess the approach road is station property and that leads to a main road. Anyone any ideas where I could stand and not get into trouble?

Thanks in advance for any further help.



PS What baffles me is that if the decisions re headcount for permanent staff/relief cover are down to DfT - why haven’t GWR told me this during our many conversations??
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top