WestCoast
Established Member
I travel a lot Lancaster/Preston - Wigan/Warrington and it is a difficult route to monitor tickets as the time between stops is minimal and in particular, a ticket check on a large 9-car Pendolino is difficult and often not done. There are no barriers either and Virgin is anti-barrier so unlikely they will appear either. This is in contrast to East Coast (as was NXEC) who are pro-barrier and have installed them on similar routes to combat the problem.
People know this and so you do get a fair amount of evaders and the worst that can happen is you have to pay the fare onboard (but that's another story).
Today traveling Lancaster - Wigan there was a very pro-active "Train Manager" (to use Virgin's term) who performed full ticket checks between all stops. He got the shop staff to announce that all tickets should be carried when moving around the train and he turned these automated announcements on which I did not even know existed! They announced the stops and stopping pattern, take luggage with you e.t.c. They weren't brilliant but did the job and allowed the TM to do full ticket checks and then go to dispatch the train from the nearest door at each station. He didn't have to keep making announcements.
Has anyone heard these automated announcements before on a Pendolino?
People know this and so you do get a fair amount of evaders and the worst that can happen is you have to pay the fare onboard (but that's another story).
Today traveling Lancaster - Wigan there was a very pro-active "Train Manager" (to use Virgin's term) who performed full ticket checks between all stops. He got the shop staff to announce that all tickets should be carried when moving around the train and he turned these automated announcements on which I did not even know existed! They announced the stops and stopping pattern, take luggage with you e.t.c. They weren't brilliant but did the job and allowed the TM to do full ticket checks and then go to dispatch the train from the nearest door at each station. He didn't have to keep making announcements.
Has anyone heard these automated announcements before on a Pendolino?
) came round checking after Preston and then Wigan. I went to Warrington Bank Quay not Wigan as I said in the opening, I go on to Liverpool so I can use either, hence the mix up. I just decide on the train