WestAnglian
Member
Often in the buffets, and they were expensive. ISTR 50p per minute. The Stansted Express 322s also had them.I maybe wrong but i think the intercity trains had cardphones in the vestibules unless the memory is playing tricks !
Often in the buffets, and they were expensive. ISTR 50p per minute. The Stansted Express 322s also had them.I maybe wrong but i think the intercity trains had cardphones in the vestibules unless the memory is playing tricks !
Some charter train coaches still have them for that reason.I think there were some 2-car DMUs (Derby Class 108s?) assigned to the Cumbrian Coast line which had similar bars fitted to doors. Same reason - limited clearance in a tunnel along that particular route.
A bit of a downer when one failed on the Tyne Valley and you had a loco on the front as they prevented flailing.I think there were some 2-car DMUs (Derby Class 108s?) assigned to the Cumbrian Coast line which had similar bars fitted to doors. Same reason - limited clearance in a tunnel along that particular route.
They don't have Ruddles at my Costco - but they do have Hall & Woodhouse Badger in cases which I drink a bit too much of!I can remember travelling from Glasgow to London sometime in the mid 1980's, during the day, and wheels being tapped at Carlisle
Oh, now you're talking! Haven't seen any for ages and it was never the same after Green King moved production to Bury St Edmunds, still a nice brew though! Last time I had some I bought a case of it in bottles from Costco.
Steam heating full stopA handle to control the steam heating.
And very useful for office staff taking a break and looking out of the window when the boss walked in.Carlisle - when I dealt with it from a freight business point of view , had early , late etc rolling stock examiners who were known as "tappers" , but they really dealt with anything arising on all trains. An excellent and dedicated bunch - complemented by the Shap team at Hardendale , who were really there for the limestone traffic , but like all dedicated railwaymen (father and son team) , could be relied to deal with almost anything arising / passing on the WCML.
The rulebook comment about "all staff must carefully observe passing trains for signs of distress , hot axle boxes , goods falling off" etc (quoted from memory) was embedded in these employees. Slightly off topic - "tappers" they might not have been , - but rolling stock inspectors they certainly were.
Came from a high rank magistrate who worshipped diesel hydraulic's l believe.Cranks hanging out of the windows saluting and bellowing "My Lords!"![]()
Well you do on some heritage lines and their use confuses the younger generations!Leather straps to open windows. Rather like belts, perforated at intervals to allow adjustment.
I'm sure I saw in a video from the late-1990s (about 1996/7), that Arbroath had something like this in the booking hall or waiting room.Electric bells used to warn passengers etc of an approaching stopping train.
There's still an LSWR 'Passengers must cross the line by the subway' cast-iron sign on the vertical wall of the up fast platform at New Malden. It must be at least 100 years old by now.All those pre-grouping cast iron warning signs.
And those strange right-angled brushes for refreshing the white line along the edge of the platforms.Electric bells used to warn passengers etc of an approaching stopping train. Operated from the signal box I believe. All those pre-grouping cast iron warning signs. Usually either a black or red background framed in white, with the lettering picked out in white. On the Southern Railway/Region only the letters S and R were picked out on L&SWR headings.
I'm told that in days of yore this lettering was picked out using a cut potato dipped into paint.
Platform sweeping brushes with very wide heads.
Are you talking about the little step on the rail side of a platform to allow a railman to get up from rail level with some ease.?There's still an LSWR 'Passengers must cross the line by the subway' cast-iron sign on the vertical wall of the up fast platform at New Malden. It must be at least 100 years old by now.
The reason for those signs -- staff crossings halfway along the platforms and barrow crossings at the end of platforms -- now they are also long-gone features. My dad had permission to use the barrow crossing at Sheffield Park station on the Bluebell Railway when he became too infirm to use the footbridge.
Lovely examples in the film, "Brief Encounter" released c1946.I'm sure I saw in a video from the late-1990s (about 1996/7), that Arbroath had something like this in the booking hall or waiting room.
Presumably long removed.
I'm told that the Station Hotel in Hawick had an electric bell in the public bar right up until closure of the Waverley Route in January 1969. Apparently it was operated by the signalman in Hawick South box and was particularly useful when trains were delayed and punters were trying to squeeze in an extra pint or two before the arrival of their train. Presumably the signallers repaired across the road once their shifts had finished....and maybe found the odd pint already paid on for them by grateful travellers!Electric bells used to warn passengers etc of an approaching stopping train. Operated from the signal box I believe.
That's right; with a crossing made of half-sleepers, usually (but not always) with a gap in the conductor rails. Some of the little steps are still there, but the crossings have long gone.Are you talking about the little step on the rail side of a platform to allow a railman to get up from rail level with some ease.?
I travelled, quite by accident on the last up sleeper, en route to Malta and witnessed noisy protesters on Hawick platform. Perhaps the Station Hotel had a hand in it.I'm told that the Station Hotel in Hawick had an electric bell in the public bar right up until closure of the Waverley Route in January 1969. Apparently it was operated by the signalman in Hawick South box and was particularly useful when trains were delayed and punters were trying to squeeze in an extra pint or two before the arrival of their train. Presumably the signallers repaired across the road once their shifts had finished....and maybe found the odd pint already paid on for them by grateful travellers!
The internal door-latches of Southern Region slam-door stock, which required quite a strong push against the spring to open -- and being asked by grannies and little kids to open the door for them as the spring was so strong. I found it easier to open the window and turn the external handle. I remember a foreign bloke at New Malden who was utterly confounded by the latch, and was glad when I showed him how it worked and opened it for him.
Did these latches exist on stock outwith the SR?
There are still a couple of drivers at my depot who use them and at least two guards with their leather bags.The company leather bags that drivers used to have. I remember we used to repair them at BREL York.
Good to know they are still about.There are still a couple of drivers at my depot who use them and at least two guards with their leather bags.