Things not talked about re COVID.
We hear a lot about some things that may impact COVID susceptibility, but I wonder if sometimes other things are overlooked.
On the issue of other factors...... I wondered the other day what role Statins were playing? A lot of older people are on statins (even though there's limited evidence of them doing much good in most of those who take them, and evidence of harm caused by them). There's some suggestion in some books I have read recently that statins adversely impact the immune system and also have a degree of inhibitory effect on Vit D take-up. (There is some good stuff out there by eminent cardiologists who have challenged the group-think about statins and also explained the way the sample for testing of effectiveness was done, the number needed to treat with statins varies greatly depending on whether you're a man who has just had a heart attack or a woman without any symptoms of heart disease, indeed the whole presentation of heart disease in women is different to that in men yet this is rarely talked about).
I doubt however that this will be looked at because it's too easy to medicalise things. Yet there's some eminent medical and scientific opinion out there that the majority on statins could stop/reduce them without harm and this may improve their immune response- including to COVID. It's a pity the vast amount of research into COVID is so narrow really, and that it's so difficult to get beyond the massive group-think that peer-reviewed "science" has too often become.
Another one. The constant brush-off to young women worried that the COVID jab will affect their fertility. They are brushed off as fools yet the fact is that it's a logical question for them to ask given that one of the common side-effects (at least with the AZ jab) is affecting the menstrual cycle...... causing break-through bleeding for some women on the pill and unexpected bleeding for some women who recently reached menopause. No wonder that when younger women hear their older relatives discussing this they want questions answered. (I suffered this side-effect after the first jab, when I had the second and the lady health worker administering it asked about side effects and I told her, she responded that she had heard a lot of female vaccine recipients saying this. Yes I know anecdotes are not data but nevertheless this is an effect that is not yet explained and common enough that women talk about it amongst other women).
It's a pity that these sort of things were not looked at rather than govt using politicians logic to grasp at futile gestures like mask wearing and using a sledgehammer to crack a nut in making vaccines basically mandatory in some situations.
TPO
We hear a lot about some things that may impact COVID susceptibility, but I wonder if sometimes other things are overlooked.
On the issue of other factors...... I wondered the other day what role Statins were playing? A lot of older people are on statins (even though there's limited evidence of them doing much good in most of those who take them, and evidence of harm caused by them). There's some suggestion in some books I have read recently that statins adversely impact the immune system and also have a degree of inhibitory effect on Vit D take-up. (There is some good stuff out there by eminent cardiologists who have challenged the group-think about statins and also explained the way the sample for testing of effectiveness was done, the number needed to treat with statins varies greatly depending on whether you're a man who has just had a heart attack or a woman without any symptoms of heart disease, indeed the whole presentation of heart disease in women is different to that in men yet this is rarely talked about).
I doubt however that this will be looked at because it's too easy to medicalise things. Yet there's some eminent medical and scientific opinion out there that the majority on statins could stop/reduce them without harm and this may improve their immune response- including to COVID. It's a pity the vast amount of research into COVID is so narrow really, and that it's so difficult to get beyond the massive group-think that peer-reviewed "science" has too often become.
Another one. The constant brush-off to young women worried that the COVID jab will affect their fertility. They are brushed off as fools yet the fact is that it's a logical question for them to ask given that one of the common side-effects (at least with the AZ jab) is affecting the menstrual cycle...... causing break-through bleeding for some women on the pill and unexpected bleeding for some women who recently reached menopause. No wonder that when younger women hear their older relatives discussing this they want questions answered. (I suffered this side-effect after the first jab, when I had the second and the lady health worker administering it asked about side effects and I told her, she responded that she had heard a lot of female vaccine recipients saying this. Yes I know anecdotes are not data but nevertheless this is an effect that is not yet explained and common enough that women talk about it amongst other women).
It's a pity that these sort of things were not looked at rather than govt using politicians logic to grasp at futile gestures like mask wearing and using a sledgehammer to crack a nut in making vaccines basically mandatory in some situations.
TPO