SargeNpton
Established Member
- Joined
- 19 Nov 2018
- Messages
- 1,744
With some venues going even further and insisting that you download their app on which to display the ticket.Most ticket agencies email the tickets these days.
With some venues going even further and insisting that you download their app on which to display the ticket.Most ticket agencies email the tickets these days.
I keep separate devices for this. A £50 Android phone which I use for conferences etc.With some venues going even further and insisting that you download their app on which to display the ticket.
I'm not denying the existence of record shops, indeed many towns have seen a resurgence in them and many are flourishing. Good luck to them. I was merely pointing out that you physically buy concert tickets from them any more.You word this as if we're not at a time when records are by far the most popular way to consume physical media.
Even small towns have record shops, and they've been booming for the past decade.
I must admit, the resurgence in vinyl took me by surprise. A few years ago I inherited my Dad's collection of vinyl records from the 60s. It continually amazes me that 60 years later people are still going to their local record shop and buying a vinyl LP, exactly as my Dad did all those decades ago. I ought to get them valued at some point to be honest, there are some Beatles one in their original sleeves which may be worth a bit to collectors.
That does annoy me. This continual drive to make everything app only. I booked to see a concert in my local cathedral recently. I didn't realise until the confirmation email came through, but it used TicketMaster. I'd never used TicketMaster before. So I had to download the app onto my phone. Then I thought I could just take a screenshot of the ticket with QR code and remove the app. But apparently they update the QR code regularly to prevent ticket scammers, so you can't use a screenshot. So I turn up at the event with my phone. Of course, it's a cathedral with big thick stone walls, so the signal was rubbish. I couldn't get the app to connect. So I had to go halfway down the road to get a signal, then open the app, load the ticket, and then go back to the back of the queue while keeping the ticket open on my phone as I waited. No one else seemed to have the issue so I guess they were all dab hands at TicketMaster and knew some sort of workaround that I didn't, or they had all done the same thing and opened it up before they arrived in the signal dead zone.With some venues going even further and insisting that you download their app on which to display the ticket.
Physically buying recordings by lesser known artists from record shops, because they didn’t just stock the chart artists.Physically buying concert tickets (usually for the big names of the day) from your local record shop (remember them?).
True, though various technological limitations of both cameras and related equipment/process did give a fundamentally skewed view of the subject. (Including the influence on 'popular memory' through how relatively few photographs were taken, meaning the 'ordinary' is underrepresented - something akin to survivor biases).Well - it was hard for the camera to lie, however easy it was for it only to tell a partial truth. The developer could always lie….
I ought to get them valued at some point to be honest, there are some Beatles one in their original sleeves which may be worth a bit to collectors.
To be honest it seems less true with computational photography and ai.Which was never even remotely true...
Talking of which, the song My Camera Never Lies was a hit for Buck's Fizz, who won the Eurovision Song Contest the previous year.The phrase "The camera never lies"
Never been my thing but I understand it's hugely popular and attracts great crowds e.g. When it was held recently in liverpoolTalking of which, the song My Camera Never Lies was a hit for Buck's Fizz, who won the Eurovision Song Contest the previous year.
The Eurovision Song Contest itself seems quite anachronistic now![]()
I still quite enjoy Eurovision, not least with the new points system, but am used to it being treated like a jokeNever been my thing but I understand it's hugely popular and attracts great crowds e.g. When it was held recently in liverpool
The Camera never lies. Seeing is Believing. Both redundant now although they should have been regarded with caution a long time ago. What we have now is a world where truth isn't regarded as the gold standard of public utterance/information. I'm always gobsmacked by remembering Kelly-Anne Conway (A Trump spokesperson during his first administration) who, when challenged that what she was saying was demonstrably untrue, was unfazed. "What I'm giving you are alternative facts."The phrase "The camera never lies"
Though analogue synth is nothing new...This years Eurovision song is quite different. A nice bit of analogue synth. Here’s a YouTube link to it.
At least they were not as annoyed as Ireland that time they won, were bankrupt, tried everything to make sure they didn't win again by putting it on in a village hall (A bit bigger, perhaps, but you get the idea) and then won AGAINThey came about third from bottom, this annoyed them as they were hoping to come last!
Oh my, echo`s of Europe Endless by Kraftwerk hereThough analogue synth is nothing new...
They came about third from bottom, this annoyed them as they were hoping to come last! The song was meant to poke fun at the contest and there was another/original version of it called N(e)urovision.
Is chalk in classrooms still a thing, or it it all now whiteboards and HiRes displays?Blackboard dusters in school classrooms. A handy projectile for the more aggressive of teachers to lob in the general direction of a recalcitrant pupil in corporal punishment days.
Dusters??? Luxury! Our teaches had the posh wooden-backed pads...Blackboard dusters in school classrooms. A handy projectile for the more aggressive of teachers to lob in the general direction of a recalcitrant pupil in corporal punishment days.
Our Latin teacher also did games and often used a pair of old rugby socks as a board cleaner. He had a good aim so the socks could land on someone’s desk sending out a load of chalk dust!Blackboard dusters in school classrooms. A handy projectile for the more aggressive of teachers to lob in the general direction of a recalcitrant pupil in corporal punishment days.
Yes - that's exactly the kind of duster I was contemplating (as illustrated in post #4,194).Dusters??? Luxury! Our teaches had the posh wooden-backed pads...
Thanks to the fact that my grandfather got a cine camera in the 1920s (goodness knows where the money for it came from), I have film of my mother as a child, my grandparents, great grandparents and even (I think) my great great grandfather, but none of me until the advent of digital technology in my 30s.Referencing the photography posts above, a sort of ‘negative anachronism’ occure. Recently, two old university friends and I had a reunion after forty-four years. Between us, we had six blurry photos of bands we watched, but absolutely none of each other in three years together. Compare that to today: we’d have hundreds of photos of daily life on our phones, many of which we’d upload to our social media.
They were already anachronistic by the time the song came out weren't they? They never had them on the coaches I used to get home from university in the early 90s.Having recently listened to the Divine Comedy, hostesses on National Express coaches.
It's mostly smokers throwing fag ends on the floor and then playing victim when caught.