• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things in living memory which seem very anachronistic now

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,941
Location
Gwynedd
With some venues going even further and insisting that you download their app on which to display the ticket.
I keep separate devices for this. A £50 Android phone which I use for conferences etc.

It irks me having to do it but needs must.
 

Benters

Member
Joined
7 Aug 2022
Messages
146
Location
Stafford
You word this as if we're not at a time when records are by far the most popular way to consume physical media.

Even small towns have record shops, and they've been booming for the past decade.
I'm not denying the existence of record shops, indeed many towns have seen a resurgence in them and many are flourishing. Good luck to them. I was merely pointing out that you physically buy concert tickets from them any more.
 

Cross City

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2020
Messages
935
Location
Birmingham
I must admit, the resurgence in vinyl took me by surprise. A few years ago I inherited my Dad's collection of vinyl records from the 60s. It continually amazes me that 60 years later people are still going to their local record shop and buying a vinyl LP, exactly as my Dad did all those decades ago. I ought to get them valued at some point to be honest, there are some Beatles one in their original sleeves which may be worth a bit to collectors.

Just plug some of the catalogue numbers on the record sleeves into Discogs and it'll give you selling price history as well as what they're currently on sale for.

A resurgence in physical media has been going on for well over 10 years now. It's actually been going on that long that cassettes and CDs have also come back into fashion, but vinyl is still by far the most popular.

It won't be long before those pen drive MP3 players and vintage iPods come back in too.
 

bleeder4

Member
Joined
19 Jan 2019
Messages
792
Location
Worcester
With some venues going even further and insisting that you download their app on which to display the ticket.
That does annoy me. This continual drive to make everything app only. I booked to see a concert in my local cathedral recently. I didn't realise until the confirmation email came through, but it used TicketMaster. I'd never used TicketMaster before. So I had to download the app onto my phone. Then I thought I could just take a screenshot of the ticket with QR code and remove the app. But apparently they update the QR code regularly to prevent ticket scammers, so you can't use a screenshot. So I turn up at the event with my phone. Of course, it's a cathedral with big thick stone walls, so the signal was rubbish. I couldn't get the app to connect. So I had to go halfway down the road to get a signal, then open the app, load the ticket, and then go back to the back of the queue while keeping the ticket open on my phone as I waited. No one else seemed to have the issue so I guess they were all dab hands at TicketMaster and knew some sort of workaround that I didn't, or they had all done the same thing and opened it up before they arrived in the signal dead zone.
Anyway, when I got home I removed the app and I definitely won't be booking any events that requires it again.
 

Harpo

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2024
Messages
3,921
Location
Newport
Physically buying concert tickets (usually for the big names of the day) from your local record shop (remember them?).
Physically buying recordings by lesser known artists from record shops, because they didn’t just stock the chart artists.

It pains me when theres an add/on for delivery of nearly 50% to support those artists.
 

WTT Gremlin

Member
Joined
1 Apr 2025
Messages
139
Location
Northampton
Well - it was hard for the camera to lie, however easy it was for it only to tell a partial truth. The developer could always lie….
True, though various technological limitations of both cameras and related equipment/process did give a fundamentally skewed view of the subject. (Including the influence on 'popular memory' through how relatively few photographs were taken, meaning the 'ordinary' is underrepresented - something akin to survivor biases).

Along with the developer can be added the photographer (inc any wider editorial influences), and many who may wish to revise the historical record after the fact. Not only a Soviet thing, but there frequency of doing such makes for a fascinating historical record where 'iterations' of the same image can provide a chronology of when certain individuals became 'problematic'/'surplus to requirements'.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,939
I ought to get them valued at some point to be honest, there are some Beatles one in their original sleeves which may be worth a bit to collectors.

Depends which albums. I have a few too, but not worth much. Some are worth loads, you will need to check the exact version and pressing.
 

johnnychips

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2011
Messages
3,826
Location
Leeds
Referencing the photography posts above, a sort of ‘negative anachronism’ occure. Recently, two old university friends and I had a reunion after forty-four years. Between us, we had six blurry photos of bands we watched, but absolutely none of each other in three years together. Compare that to today: we’d have hundreds of photos of daily life on our phones, many of which we’d upload to our social media.
 

317 forever

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2010
Messages
3,290
Location
North West
The phrase "The camera never lies"
Talking of which, the song My Camera Never Lies was a hit for Buck's Fizz, who won the Eurovision Song Contest the previous year.

The Eurovision Song Contest itself seems quite anachronistic now :lol:
 

simonw

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2009
Messages
1,410
Talking of which, the song My Camera Never Lies was a hit for Buck's Fizz, who won the Eurovision Song Contest the previous year.

The Eurovision Song Contest itself seems quite anachronistic now :lol:
Never been my thing but I understand it's hugely popular and attracts great crowds e.g. When it was held recently in liverpool
 

317 forever

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2010
Messages
3,290
Location
North West
Never been my thing but I understand it's hugely popular and attracts great crowds e.g. When it was held recently in liverpool
I still quite enjoy Eurovision, not least with the new points system, but am used to it being treated like a joke ;)
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,711
The phrase "The camera never lies"
The Camera never lies. Seeing is Believing. Both redundant now although they should have been regarded with caution a long time ago. What we have now is a world where truth isn't regarded as the gold standard of public utterance/information. I'm always gobsmacked by remembering Kelly-Anne Conway (A Trump spokesperson during his first administration) who, when challenged that what she was saying was demonstrably untrue, was unfazed. "What I'm giving you are alternative facts."
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,069
This years Eurovision song is quite different. A nice bit of analogue synth. Here’s a YouTube link to it.
Though analogue synth is nothing new...


They came about third from bottom, this annoyed them as they were hoping to come last! The song was meant to poke fun at the contest and there was another/original version of it called N(e)urovision.

 

EYFanatic

Member
Joined
29 Sep 2025
Messages
666
Location
Hell's Dungeon
They came about third from bottom, this annoyed them as they were hoping to come last!
At least they were not as annoyed as Ireland that time they won, were bankrupt, tried everything to make sure they didn't win again by putting it on in a village hall (A bit bigger, perhaps, but you get the idea) and then won AGAIN

Rumour is that if they win again and are strapped for cash, they will get Father Dougal to sing My Lovely Horse even *with* the sax solo
 

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,673
Location
The West Country
Though analogue synth is nothing new...


They came about third from bottom, this annoyed them as they were hoping to come last! The song was meant to poke fun at the contest and there was another/original version of it called N(e)urovision.

Oh my, echo`s of Europe Endless by Kraftwerk here
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,711
Blackboard dusters in school classrooms. A handy projectile for the more aggressive of teachers to lob in the general direction of a recalcitrant pupil in corporal punishment days.
 

SargeNpton

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2018
Messages
1,744
Blackboard dusters in school classrooms. A handy projectile for the more aggressive of teachers to lob in the general direction of a recalcitrant pupil in corporal punishment days.
Is chalk in classrooms still a thing, or it it all now whiteboards and HiRes displays?
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,167
Location
Elginshire
While some of our teachers used the blackboard, there were a few who used an overhead projector instead.

Chalk was a well-used projectile and, in my first of secondary school, there was the ever-present threat of getting belted. I'm rather glad that the tawse has since been consigned to history.
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,021
Blackboard dusters in school classrooms. A handy projectile for the more aggressive of teachers to lob in the general direction of a recalcitrant pupil in corporal punishment days.
Our Latin teacher also did games and often used a pair of old rugby socks as a board cleaner. He had a good aim so the socks could land on someone’s desk sending out a load of chalk dust!
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,455
Location
Somerset
Referencing the photography posts above, a sort of ‘negative anachronism’ occure. Recently, two old university friends and I had a reunion after forty-four years. Between us, we had six blurry photos of bands we watched, but absolutely none of each other in three years together. Compare that to today: we’d have hundreds of photos of daily life on our phones, many of which we’d upload to our social media.
Thanks to the fact that my grandfather got a cine camera in the 1920s (goodness knows where the money for it came from), I have film of my mother as a child, my grandparents, great grandparents and even (I think) my great great grandfather, but none of me until the advent of digital technology in my 30s.
 

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2019
Messages
3,991
Location
Northampton
Ah, you mean the ballistic missiles...?

View attachment 200925

That's the one!


Our 'masters' wore black gowns, one in particular still managed to get his covered in chalk dust even with this technology.
The one I have in mind was our Maths teacher one year. Very effective at his job, but sometimes he wouldn't turn up, so a form member went along to the Staff Room to wake him. I won't elaborate on why he was sleepy after lunch ...
 

JamesT

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2015
Messages
4,903
Having recently listened to the Divine Comedy, hostesses on National Express coaches.
 

sprunt

Established Member
Joined
22 Jul 2017
Messages
1,642
Having recently listened to the Divine Comedy, hostesses on National Express coaches.
They were already anachronistic by the time the song came out weren't they? They never had them on the coaches I used to get home from university in the early 90s.
 

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,905
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
It's mostly smokers throwing fag ends on the floor and then playing victim when caught.

While in no sense is this something I "miss" I just realised how relatively uncommon (wouldn't exactly call it rare) it is now to see cigarette butts littering the street compared to my childhood. I also think a similar decrease in gum which is harder to immediately explain.
 

Top