• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things in living memory which seem very anachronistic now

Jimini

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2006
Messages
2,175
Location
Reading
Essentially a long, thin tube (think similar to a solid drinking straw) which you would insert the filter end of a cigarette into one end and inhale through the other end of the tube. I think the idea was to allow ladies of a certain era to smoke without their gloves becoming nicotine stained and smelling excessively of cigarettes


Still a thing, it seems!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,457
Location
Somerset
Essentially a long, thin tube (think similar to a solid drinking straw) which you would insert the filter end of a cigarette into one end and inhale through the other end of the tube. I think the idea was to allow ladies of a certain era to smoke without their gloves becoming nicotine stained and smelling excessively of cigarettes
Very 1920s and 30s!
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,069
If it's not been mentioned before, and before my time, broadcasters making a big deal that their service was in colour, likewise hotels advertising that the rooms had colour TV.

Of course when colour TV first came out it was a big deal and getting it to some of the more far flung parts of the British Isles was quite the feat, the Channel Islands were once fed with ITV by picking up the broadcasts of TVS/Meridian in France from Rowridge (Isle Of Wight) using a special antenna and relaying that by microwave link to Jersey. The similar link to the Shetland Islands even survived post digital switchover for a while, the link being reengineered for it, that has since changed though.
These links had to be done as cost effectively as possible due to the relatively small amount of viewers, so using satellite or submarine cable links when they were originally in service was very much out of the question.
 

cool110

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
846
Location
Preston
If it's not been mentioned before, and before my time, broadcasters making a big deal that their service was in colour
Don't forget that even today a colour TV licence is more than a B&W only one, so it was in the BBC's interest to push it as much as possible.
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,069
Don't forget that even today a colour TV licence is more than a B&W only one, so it was in the BBC's interest to push it as much as possible.
Naturally, but, of course, the ITV stations were also quick to brag about colour broadcasts. I suppose you could charge an advertiser more for a colour advert as it was probably better for sales.
 

Jimini

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2006
Messages
2,175
Location
Reading
Naturally, but, of course, the ITV stations were also quick to brag about colour broadcasts. I suppose you could charge an advertiser more for a colour advert as it was probably better for sales.

The same still applies to newspapers to this day!
 

Pegpilot

Member
Joined
26 Mar 2020
Messages
120
Location
Northants
First colour TV prog I saw was the 1974 FA Cup Final at my mate's house. Ironically, Newcastle wore Black and White....
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,713
The almost obligatory black tie as an accoutrement for male funeral attendees.
 

Silent

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2016
Messages
754
Location
London
Side mounted, in built, speakers on tv's. I think it was a late 90's/early-mid 00's things. Also big bezels. I think what we call big nowadays, on car infotainment screens and stuff is probably not big in comparison to old displays.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Plain cable tv. It probably still exists but I have watched most stuff, apart from the odd DVD, online for the past 5 - 10 years. I think the fact streaming or recording isn't available on basic cable tv, not other versions, makes it out of place in this streaming based world.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Recently have watched some old Grange Hill, before I was born. Some people refer to lunch time as dinner, and apparently lunch was called dinner in some parts of the UK in the 70's. That feels anachronistic. It explains why school lunches were called school dinner when I went to school. Idk if the term has changed now.
 
Last edited:

Steddenm

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2017
Messages
1,251
Location
Clane, Co. Kildare
Side mounted, in built, speakers on tv's. I think it was a late 90's/early-mid 00's things. Also big bezels. I think what we call big nowadays, on car infotainment screens and stuff is probably not big in comparison to old displays.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Plain cable tv. It probably still exists but I have watched most stuff, apart from the odd DVD, online for the past 5 - 10 years. I think the fact streaming or recording isn't available on basic cable tv, not other versions, makes it out of place in this streaming based world.
The Virgin Media 360 boxes and V3 boxes both have streaming and recording capability. The older cable boxes were analogue and the network doesn't exist anymore since switching to DVB-C. The new Virgin Stream box (and Sly Puck) are streaming only but not just via apps, they stream the standard DVB-S and DVB-C channels but don't record. They add to a Watchlist (on Virgin) or your planner (Sky). They don't stream everything via native apps (such as iPlayer, ITVX etc) but can use their own streaming platform.
 

SargeNpton

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2018
Messages
1,744
Recently have watched some old Grange Hill, before I was born. Some people refer to lunch time as dinner, and apparently lunch was called dinner in some parts of the UK in the 70's. That feels anachronistic. It explains why school lunches were called school dinner when I went to school. Idk if the term has changed now.
Whether people call their mid-day meal lunch or dinner (and their evening meal dinner or tea) is another discussion completely.

Depends on what part of the country you come from and what class you are.
 

Silent

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2016
Messages
754
Location
London
Early e bikes? I’m just seeing this one and it reminds me a bit of electrical wheelchairs.


Metroline Future branding on alx400’s.
 

johntea

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2010
Messages
3,052
Side mounted, in built, speakers on tv's. I think it was a late 90's/early-mid 00's things. Also big bezels. I think what we call big nowadays, on car infotainment screens and stuff is probably not big in comparison to old displays.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Plain cable tv. It probably still exists but I have watched most stuff, apart from the odd DVD, online for the past 5 - 10 years. I think the fact streaming or recording isn't available on basic cable tv, not other versions, makes it out of place in this streaming based world.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Recently have watched some old Grange Hill, before I was born. Some people refer to lunch time as dinner, and apparently lunch was called dinner in some parts of the UK in the 70's. That feels anachronistic. It explains why school lunches were called school dinner when I went to school. Idk if the term has changed now.

The odd thing is these days with the craze of trying to make a TV thinner than a sheet of paper as a minimum you need to hook up a sound bar as the built in TV speakers are AWFUL since there is no room in them to stick anything half decent in!

I know the in built stuff has never been *fantastic* but it was at least acceptable in the past

It did amaze me travelling in my sisters car the other week how big the screen in her car was, I didn't know if I was in a car or at the cinema :D although that reminded me of another thing that is a bit obsolete now, standalone sat nav units...fond memories of my Dad spending longer trying to work out how to program the thing than the actual journey took!
 

Silent

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2016
Messages
754
Location
London
The odd thing is these days with the craze of trying to make a TV thinner than a sheet of paper as a minimum you need to hook up a sound bar as the built in TV speakers are AWFUL since there is no room in them to stick anything half decent in!

I know the in built stuff has never been *fantastic* but it was at least acceptable in the past



It did amaze me travelling in my sisters car the other week how big the screen in her car was, I didn't know if I was in a car or at the cinema :D although that reminded me of another thing that is a bit obsolete now, standalone sat nav units...fond memories of my Dad spending longer trying to work out how to program the thing than the actual journey took!


Reminded me in maybe 10 - 15 years analogue speed gauges would seem ancient
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,149
Location
Wilmslow
Becoming more common for entreaties to wear colourful clothes at funerals as per wishes of the dear departed.
I don’t know about “entreaties” but at my cousin’s funeral we were suggested to wear red clothes, and I was slightly disappointed by the attendees who didn’t. I kind of felt they were doing what they thought what they should do, rather than what they’d been asked to do.
 

Killingworth

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2018
Messages
6,496
Location
Sheffield
I don’t know about “entreaties” but at my cousin’s funeral we were suggested to wear red clothes, and I was slightly disappointed by the attendees who didn’t. I kind of felt they were doing what they thought what they should do, rather than what they’d been asked to do.
These days funerals and subsequent wakes are celebrations of a life. Wear bright clothes is often specifically requested.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,149
Location
Wilmslow
These days funerals and subsequent wakes are celebrations of a life. Wear bright clothes is often specifically requested.
And a good thing too, in my opinion.
I played the organ long ago at my cousin’s wedding, but when she discovered she had a 50% chance of Huntingdon’s her husband abandoned her, so it was a sad pleasure to celebrate her life at her funeral years later. Her 50% chance turned into 100% reality, unfortunately.
For what it’s worth, not on my side of the family, fortunately for me. Just a stroke and history of insanity instead!
 

david1212

Established Member
Joined
9 Apr 2020
Messages
1,755
Location
Midlands
Side mounted, in built, speakers on tv's. I think it was a late 90's/early-mid 00's things. Also big bezels. I think what we call big nowadays, on car infotainment screens and stuff is probably not big in comparison to old displays.
......

The odd thing is these days with the craze of trying to make a TV thinner than a sheet of paper as a minimum you need to hook up a sound bar as the built in TV speakers are AWFUL since there is no room in them to stick anything half decent in!

I know the in built stuff has never been *fantastic* but it was at least acceptable in the past ...

This is why I have not replaced my Panasonic TV as on a relative scale decent forward facing speakers below the screen. I bought it second hand but must not be too far off 20 years old.

Back around 15 years ago that era I was staying in a flat on holiday. On the wall was a huge ( by the standards of the day so at least 32" ) Samsung TV. The speakers were at the bottom facing down so had to be narrow. The sound was awful hence probably why it was there. I can't recall to be certain but think I still had a Hitachi CRT TV around 24" with speakers either side of the screen. If so why I specifically wanted front speakers for the replacement but designs has moved on.
 

Top