• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things in living memory which seem very anachronistic now

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,729
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Are these the things we called "Internal post envelopes" where I worked? We used both types of the image below - and they rarely seemed to last more than four or five names before getting chucked, even if they were still intact - what an appalling waste of paper!!

View attachment 197700
We used them regularly, between Woolworths' main offices: Marylebone (London), Castleton (nr Manchester), Swindon.
Many envelopes were in the condition I can only describe as "mummified with Sellotape", as the only way of keeping them together.
I saw plenty which managed to accumulated every recipient-box filled!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2020
Messages
5,814
Location
SW London
There was a time when it was generally expected that knowledge would be passed from parents to children (usually fathers to sons in this case) - unless of course you had servants to do it or were getting electricity for the first time, when I suspect someone (either from the electricity board or Radio Rentals) would have shown you.
Not in all cases. When I helped my in-laws move house in 1986, mother in law was mortified she couldn't offer the removal men a cup of tea. Father in law was not the most practical of men, so it was left to me to spend a long afternoon replacing the plugs on every single appliance they had brought with them. Starting, of course, with the kettle!
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
When I worked in a school we had a internal post system of trays in the staff room, the recycling of previously used envelopes would have kept Mother Nature very happy indeed that is for sure! The guy responsible for doing all the post was a legend too, he had no aspirations ever to be anything more than the bloke doing the post and everyone loved him!

I shiver when I look back at the days of a holiday request involving filling in a slip of paper, leaving it on your line manager desk, having to eventually ask them anyway as they had inevitably not noticed it in the mess of all the other paperwork on their desk, then they would have to sign it and send it off to HR who would finally log it on the system about a millennium after you had come back from the day off!



We used to have PAT Testers coming in and charging 20p a go or whatever - fair enough until they spotted that full box of power cables that were brand new, still in packaging, probably never ever going to be used they just came as standard with the new computers each year, 'ah we better test every single one of those just in case of course...'

Eventually I think we managed to train someone internally in the Estates department to carry it out instead!

It was ALWAYS the kettle that would fail... :(
As a child I remember the kettle had a circular plug with an extra pin that if the kettle was switched on with insufficient water, this pin would eject the lead, causing a problem if there were cups in the way.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Not in all cases. When I helped my in-laws move house in 1986, mother in law was mortified she couldn't offer the removal men a cup of tea. Father in law was not the most practical of men, so it was left to me to spend a long afternoon replacing the plugs on every single appliance they had brought with them. Starting, of course, with the kettle!
Every time I've moved house, (I'm in my 6th house now), I/We've always taken kettle/cups/spoons in the car so that we can brew up on arrival. The alternative is to pack them for the removals van and no matter how planned it is that box might not be first out.
 
Last edited:

Tester

Established Member
Joined
5 Jul 2020
Messages
1,734
Location
Watford
Every time I've moved house, (I'm in my 6th house now), I/We've always taken kettle/cups/spoons in the car so that we can brew up on arrival. The alternative is to pack them for the removals van and no matter how planned it is that box might not be first out.
It will be first out if the removers know what's in it :D
 

Killingworth

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2018
Messages
6,496
Location
Sheffield
As a child I remember the kettle had a circular plug with an extra pin that if the kettle was switched on with insufficient water, this pin would eject the lead, causing a problem if there were cups in the way.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Happy memories of the old kettle my parents must have continued using for over 40years! Only recall it ejecting once. Always refill the kettle immediately after use was the lesson learned and is still practised today. Modern kettles don't seem to last more than 10 years, if that.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,158
Location
Wilmslow
A cheap kettle in 1960 probably cost £5, adjusted for inflation that’s £100 today. Prices today seem to be mainly in the £10-£20 range. I’m not bothered at that price if they don’t last, whereas if I had to pay £100 I would.
 

bspahh

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2017
Messages
2,444
A cheap kettle in 1960 probably cost £5, adjusted for inflation that’s £100 today. Prices today seem to be mainly in the £10-£20 range. I’m not bothered at that price if they don’t last, whereas if I had to pay £100 I would.
https://issuu.com/retromash/docs/argos-no01-1973-74 has the 1973-74 Argos catalogue. Page 84 has a Swan kettle for £3.95 or a Russell Hobbs one for £6.10. With the Bank of England RPI inflation calculator, in today's money those are £43.50 and £67.17.

The only colour TV is an 18" Pye one for £165 (£1816.98) !
 

Killingworth

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2018
Messages
6,496
Location
Sheffield
https://issuu.com/retromash/docs/argos-no01-1973-74 has the 1973-74 Argos catalogue. Page 84 has a Swan kettle for £3.95 or a Russell Hobbs one for £6.10. With the Bank of England RPI inflation calculator, in today's money those are £43.50 and £67.17.

The only colour TV is an 18" Pye one for £165 (£1816.98) !
My parent's Swan kettle may have been a 1940 wedding present and was still used daily, possibly into the 1990s. We had an older kettle in reserve that went on the gas cooker.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
A cheap kettle in 1960 probably cost £5, adjusted for inflation that’s £100 today. Prices today seem to be mainly in the £10-£20 range. I’m not bothered at that price if they don’t last, whereas if I had to pay £100 I would.
Also of course, if your cheap kettle stopped working you could usually replace the element with a generic spare quite easily, they were widely available.
 

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2020
Messages
5,814
Location
SW London
My parents' fridge was made in the 1950s, by Prestcold (who only make industrial freezers now). It was eventually only scrapped, when over 60 years old, when the door catch failed. (yes, it had a latch, not a magnetic closure) They had problems disposing of it though - not because of CFCs, it was too old for that - the active refrigerant was ammonia.
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,035
Happy memories of the old kettle my parents must have continued using for over 40years!
Modern kettles don't seem to last more than 10 years, if that.

My parent's Swan kettle may have been a 1940 wedding present and was still used daily, possibly into the 1990s. We had an older kettle in reserve that went on the gas cooker.

My electric kettle is probably only about 25 years old, but it's definitely an anachronism - the label on the base proclaims that was "Made in U.K.". I don't think that even Dualit do that now. It gets used at least three times a day (for two pots of tea and one of coffee).
 

Trackman

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2013
Messages
4,308
Location
Lewisham
Happy memories of the old kettle my parents must have continued using for over 40years! Only recall it ejecting once. Always refill the kettle immediately after use was the lesson learned and is still practised today. Modern kettles don't seem to last more than 10 years, if that.
Kiss of death here:

I have a Swan kettle which I've had for 20+ years.

I also have a washing machine which has very mileage and is about 24 years old.
Every wash is bonus.
Once stayed with relative who had a recently new washing machine installed and did some washing, it wasn't a patch on mine!
Not sure if it has a sealed drum/tank, but a washing machines these days have a life expectancy of less than ten years.
 

Killingworth

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2018
Messages
6,496
Location
Sheffield
The days when you phoned a business and got a simple engaged tone. You rang back later, or kept re dialling. There are still a few smaller businesses operating like that.

But today you're more likely to be told you're "number 66 in the queue". But of course "You're call is valued to us but we are experiencing exceptionally high call volumes" or "Our phonelines are busier than normal—sorry if you're waiting to get through."

Other scripts are available, plus accompanying soothing/infuriating hold music.
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,462
Location
Somerset
But of course "You're call is valued to us but we are experiencing exceptionally high call volumes" or "Our phonelines are busier than normal—sorry if you're waiting to get through."
Strange how those “exceptionally high call volumes” and “busier than usual” phone lines happen every single day - just like “more trains than usual needing repair”. How long before “more than usual “ becomes “the new usual”?
 

Acey

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2018
Messages
431
The days when you phoned a business and got a simple engaged tone. You rang back later, or kept re dialling. There are still a few smaller businesses operating like that.

But today you're more likely to be told you're "number 66 in the queue". But of course "You're call is valued to us but we are experiencing exceptionally high call volumes" or "Our phonelines are busier than normal—sorry if you're waiting to get through."

Other scripts are available, plus accompanying soothing/infuriating hold music.
Try ringing the sales department,your call is answered so fast it's almost telepathic !
 

Topological

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2023
Messages
4,331
Location
Swansea
The UK three pin plug was part of the electronics syllabus in my Physics lessons (probably got taught this in about 1998/99) - but we weren't taught how to *wire* it, just how the plug worked.

I have never needed to wire a plug.
Same, since I was doing Physics at that time.

I have wired a lot of plugs though. Buying a long ream of cable and then picking up some plugs and sockets in Maplin was a much cheaper way of producing extension leads than anything I ever found. I still think it would be cheaper than B&M et al. these days too.

I also did 15 amp plugs for the halls' stage lighting systems too (I think we were still legally able to do that as non-qualified electricians)
 

Brightonboy

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2025
Messages
149
Location
Suffolk
I certainly learnt to wire a 3 pin plug at home as a teenager in the very early 70's and it was a useful skill to have; I also learnt very quickly to wire a German pattern mains plug when I was posted (in the forces) to Germany in the late 80's. It was surprising how many plugs needed changing (and then back to UK standard 4 years later!).
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,717
When companies had officious boffins in overalls with clipboards and stopwatches with job titles such as Work Study Officer or Time and Motion Supervisor. Their job included producing reports purporting to improve efficiency and productivity and to conduct studies into features such as job evaluation (aka jobby valuation).
 

317 forever

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2010
Messages
3,290
Location
North West
Try ringing the sales department,your call is answered so fast it's almost telepathic !
In my job I receive calls classified "cancellation" that are not actual cancellations. I reckon customers press the cancellation option because they think they are more likely to reach a person that way!
 

Lloyds siding

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2020
Messages
626
Location
Merseyside
When companies had officious boffins in overalls with clipboards and stopwatches with job titles such as Work Study Officer or Time and Motion Supervisor. Their job included producing reports purporting to improve efficiency and productivity and to conduct studies into features such as job evaluation (aka jobby valuation).
Still very much around but done largely digitally these days, nevertheless those on the ground now use tablets instead of clipboards and stopwatches are not as prominently visible. Only a few weeks back, I was talking to a (now) retired gent, who said that he was involved in essentially time and motion studies of binmen (waste operatives) just a few years ago...resulting in numerous redundacies. I can attest to this; just before COVID I was accompanying bin crews visiting flats and houses: I had to check on whether more recycling bins could be accomodated, I had to jog all the time to keep up with them!
 

Killingworth

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2018
Messages
6,496
Location
Sheffield
In my job I receive calls classified "cancellation" that are not actual cancellations. I reckon customers press the cancellation option because they think they are more likely to reach a person that way!
True! I once worked in a retentions team. Keeping the business is a priority with incentives on offer to do so. Some customers are wise to this and regularly threaten to go elsewhere.

Many of us have tried to beat down car and household renewal premiums with success. A good retentions team operator will 'save' a high percentage of closure demands. Sometimes the reason for the closure request can reveal a variety of errors that haven't previously been properly investigated and corrected. Once they are (and usually a small gift given) the closure doesn't happen and the business relationship strengthened as a result. A good retentions clerk should have an excellent understanding of their business, the systems used, and human nature. Some members of retention teams are better at achieving this than others! I saw some who'd retain hardly any and others who'd save 50%.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
Still very much around but done largely digitally these days, nevertheless those on the ground now use tablets instead of clipboards and stopwatches are not as prominently visible. Only a few weeks back, I was talking to a (now) retired gent, who said that he was involved in essentially time and motion studies of binmen (waste operatives) just a few years ago...resulting in numerous redundacies. I can attest to this; just before COVID I was accompanying bin crews visiting flats and houses: I had to check on whether more recycling bins could be accomodated, I had to jog all the time to keep up with them!
Time management wasn't just clipboards and stopwatches, in the '60s and '70s MTM, (Method Time Management, a set of tools to analyse hand, body and sensing interactions), was a very useful tool for designing products and their manufacturing processes for time efficiency. It resulted in products, tools and work environments being designed to aid time efficiency and reduce manufacturing errors.
There was of course the film I'm Alright Jack' in 1959 which characterised the 'time and motion man' as a clipboard and stopwatch carrying management spy, ever looking to cut the time allowed to do certain jobs purely for profit or in the case of the film to antagonise the trade union such that they went on strike.
But used effectively, MTM really did improve the productivity and reliability of many work processes.
 

chris53

Member
Joined
12 Feb 2024
Messages
64
Location
West Lancashire
Time management wasn't just clipboards and stopwatches, in the '60s and '70s MTM, (Method Time Management, a set of tools to analyse hand, body and sensing interactions), was a very useful tool for designing products and their manufacturing processes for time efficiency. It resulted in products, tools and work environments being designed to aid time efficiency and reduce manufacturing errors.
There was of course the film I'm Alright Jack' in 1959 which characterised the 'time and motion man' as a clipboard and stopwatch carrying management spy, ever looking to cut the time allowed to do certain jobs purely for profit or in the case of the film to antagonise the trade union such that they went on strike.
But used effectively, MTM really did improve the productivity and reliability of many work processes.
Time and Motion Man was memorably played by John Le Mesurier
 

PeterC

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
4,785
Time management wasn't just clipboards and stopwatches, in the '60s and '70s MTM, (Method Time Management, a set of tools to analyse hand, body and sensing interactions), was a very useful tool for designing products and their manufacturing processes for time efficiency. It resulted in products, tools and work environments being designed to aid time efficiency and reduce manufacturing errors.
There was of course the film I'm Alright Jack' in 1959 which characterised the 'time and motion man' as a clipboard and stopwatch carrying management spy, ever looking to cut the time allowed to do certain jobs purely for profit or in the case of the film to antagonise the trade union such that they went on strike.
But used effectively, MTM really did improve the productivity and reliability of many work processes.
I was trained in MTM with a major clearing bank. Unions and branch managers complained that staffing was too tight while regions and head office thought it too lax so we reckoned we had things about right.

It did reveal how often head office circulars were ignored. Automation and deregulation was streamlining jobs but local managers clung on to the old practices.
 

317 forever

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2010
Messages
3,290
Location
North West
True! I once worked in a retentions team. Keeping the business is a priority with incentives on offer to do so. Some customers are wise to this and regularly threaten to go elsewhere.

Many of us have tried to beat down car and household renewal premiums with success. A good retentions team operator will 'save' a high percentage of closure demands. Sometimes the reason for the closure request can reveal a variety of errors that haven't previously been properly investigated and corrected. Once they are (and usually a small gift given) the closure doesn't happen and the business relationship strengthened as a result. A good retentions clerk should have an excellent understanding of their business, the systems used, and human nature. Some members of retention teams are better at achieving this than others! I saw some who'd retain hardly any and others who'd save 50%.
Yes, people will sometimes phones seeking incentives to stay with a company, typically if not necessarily discounts.

I was referring to other enquiries such as claims, where people feel more confident of reaching a person to speak to via the cancellation line.
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,717
Physical cash changing hands in envelopes whilst by no means unknown nowadays has reduced to an extent where it could be regarded as being fairly anachronistic. I'm thinking of payment of wages, payment of utility bills at the nearest gas or electricity "showroom", state pensions paid in cash (perhaps not in an envelope admittedly) at the post office in exchange for a voucher from the recipient's pension book.
 

Top