• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things in living memory which seem very anachronistic now

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,104
Location
At home or at the pub
Does anyone remember those burgers in a tin in onion gravy, i remember them years ago & they were rank, the gravy (more brown splodge than gravy) & was an odd colour, that looked like someone had diarrhea, those burgers were that awful they make Rustlers burgers look like Michelin star burgers, not sure if they still make them, Westlers were/are the ones that made them.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2013
Messages
2,588
Location
Leeds
Does anyone remember those burgers in a tin in onion gravy, i remember them years ago & they were rank, the gravy (more brown splodge than gravy) & was an odd colour, that looked like someone had diarrhea, those burgers were that awful they make Rustlers burgers look like Michelin star burgers, not sure if they still make them, Westlers were/are the ones that made them.
Gosh, that brings back an unpleasant memory. I bought them on a whim from B&M once, as they were something ridiculous like a pound, and that should have been a warning sign because they were absolutely vile. The patty consistency was more like jellied cat food and, as you say, the gravy had a very faecal nature to it. The tins had the tagline 'mums choice'. If my mum chose them, I'd be calling Childline.

From a cursory Google search, it looks like Westlers became part of the Dutch Zwanenberg food consortium with the Westlers brand now focusing entirely on selling hot dogs to the foodservice industry. The burgers are technically part of the Big Kitchen brand, with Westlers remaining on the tins for brand familiarity, I guess. Apparently Asda still sell them and they have 3.8/5 on the review section, which boggles belief!
 

philthetube

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2016
Messages
4,195
I
But today you're more likely to be told you're "number 66 in the queue". But of course "You're call is valued to us but we are experiencing exceptionally high call volumes" or "Our phonelines are busier than normal—sorry if you're waiting to get through."
i wish they would all give a number, at least you can guestimate your waiting time and start other things while listening.
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,499
Location
Birmingham
Does anyone remember those burgers in a tin in onion gravy, i remember them years ago & they were rank, the gravy (more brown splodge than gravy) & was an odd colour, that looked like someone had diarrhea, those burgers were that awful they make Rustlers burgers look like Michelin star burgers, not sure if they still make them, Westlers were/are the ones that made them.
Bought a tin once and regretted it. There used to be a few tiny hot dog/burger stalls (essentially a hand cart staffed by one man) dotted around the centre of Brum where the burgers were cooked in the same brine as the hotdogs, they tasted nicer than they sounded. I was expecting the tinned ones to be something similar.

The stalls themselves would probably fit in this thread, I think they disappeared about 20 years ago.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,151
Location
Wilmslow
I

i wish they would all give a number, at least you can guestimate your waiting time and start other things while listening.
I agree.
I remember the days you could ring up the Inland Revenue (as was), get an immediate connection and be able to ask for information.
Last time I rang I was on hold, of course, told a lot of waffle I already knew, and was promised the one thing I called about would be done. It wasn’t. Fortunately it only took one further letter.
 

contrex

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2009
Messages
1,679
Location
St Werburghs, Bristol
Does anyone remember those burgers in a tin in onion gravy, i remember them years ago & they were rank, the gravy (more brown splodge than gravy) & was an odd colour, that looked like someone had diarrhea, those burgers were that awful they make Rustlers burgers look like Michelin star burgers, not sure if they still make them, Westlers were/are the ones that made them.
I liked Westler's, the stalls in Tommy Benson's funfair in Brockwell Park used them each year when I was a lad in the 1960s. You can still get something like them from shops like Home Bargains and they used to be £1.50 a tin of 4 in Tesco until not so long ago. I just looked, they are £1.89 in B&M, or £2.09 in Asda.

1771242969747.png

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

As a child I remember the kettle had a circular plug with an extra pin that if the kettle was switched on with insufficient water, this pin would eject the lead, causing a problem if there were cups in the way.
Our Swan kettle was like that, the pin was attached to a spring which was held back by a blob of solder. If the solder melted it would let the spring go. I'm not sure if the element would have been repairable.
 
Last edited:

Killingworth

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2018
Messages
6,496
Location
Sheffield
I liked Westler's, the stalls in Tommy Benson's funfair in Brockwell Park used them each year when I was a lad in the 1960s. You can still get something like them from shops like Home Bargains and they used to be £1.50 a tin of 4 in Tesco until not so long ago. I just looked, they are £1.89 in B&M, or £2.09 in Asda.

View attachment 198268

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Our Swan kettle was like that, the pin was attached to a spring which was held back by a blob of solder. If the solder melted it would let the spring go. I'm not sure if the element would have been repairable.
Replaceable, not repairable. I seem to recall oures being replaced by my father.
 

PeterC

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
4,785
I hope this hasn't been mentioned in the previous 128 pages but a comment in another thread reminded me that there used to be separate local and trunk (long distance) pricing for phone calls. I remember my mother waiting for the evening cheap rate before calling her sister in Wales

She never got the hang of a single national calling rate and, as she got older, was convinced that unsolicited calls had to be from local people who knew both her number and address from the phone book so was always polite to them.
 

Western Lord

Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
1,065
Mention of Westler's reminds me of cinema hot dogs, which I never bought having once gone "behind the scenes" and seen what went on.
The cinema-going experience 60 or 70 years ago would seem absurd to today's audience. You queued up (probably in the rain), a doorman would let you in when seats were available to buy your automaticket (only valid for immediate admission) from the lady cashier in the pay box (it was always a lady). You then entered the auditorium (there was only one) and an usherette would direct you to a vacant seat with her torch. You would then watch the second half of the B movie, then the main feature, then the adverts and trailers, then Look at Life (if it was a Rank cinema) or Pathe News (if it was an ABC cinema), then the first half of the B movie until you said "this is where we came in", got up and left.
 

pdq

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2010
Messages
901
Maybe not totally anachronistic yet, but I'm sure will be soon - roadside bill boards that have actual posters pasted up rather than electronic screens.

And in a similar vein, places like Piccadilly Circus with it's building sized ads being somewhere novel rather than commonplace.
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,457
Location
Somerset
Maybe not totally anachronistic yet, but I'm sure will be soon - roadside bill boards that have actual posters pasted up rather than electronic screens.

And in a similar vein, places like Piccadilly Circus with it's building sized ads being somewhere novel rather than commonplace.
Noticed an interesting psychological effect this morning which I’m sure wouldn’t please the advertisers. One of those electronic screens - facing me as I came down the station footbridge steps. Was busy reading the first display when it changed to an advert for a very worthy charity. However, my feeling towards it were instantly negative because it had stopped me reading the details on the previous screen. Result - one promotion I might have been interested in but can no longer remember what it was for and a charity that has unwittingly irritated me.
 

Killingworth

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2018
Messages
6,496
Location
Sheffield
I hope this hasn't been mentioned in the previous 128 pages but a comment in another thread reminded me that there used to be separate local and trunk (long distance) pricing for phone calls. I remember my mother waiting for the evening cheap rate before calling her sister in Wales

She never got the hang of a single national calling rate and, as she got older, was convinced that unsolicited calls had to be from local people who knew both her number and address from the phone book so was always polite to them.
The pips after3 minutes on trunk calls.

In Hull in 1973/4 (the time when we almost had petrol rationing - another story in itself) I had to queue in the hotel where I was staying to get my turn on the coin operated phone to call my wife. Then it might say "all lines from Leeds are engaged"
 

Trackman

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2013
Messages
4,307
Location
Lewisham
I liked Westler's, the stalls in Tommy Benson's funfair in Brockwell Park used them each year when I was a lad in the 1960s. You can still get something like them from shops like Home Bargains and they used to be £1.50 a tin of 4 in Tesco until not so long ago. I just looked, they are £1.89 in B&M, or £2.09 in Asda.
I liked Westlers burgers (loosely speaking) too, but again this over 50 years ago. I tried some a few years ago, but they didnt taste the same, think it was the gravy - I'm sure it used to be richer than that.
Mention of Westler's reminds me of cinema hot dogs, which I never bought having once gone "behind the scenes" and seen what went on.
Please tell :)

​

 

Ken X

Member
Joined
29 Nov 2021
Messages
347
Location
Horsham
The pips after3 minutes on trunk calls.

In Hull in 1973/4 (the time when we almost had petrol rationing - another story in itself) I had to queue in the hotel where I was staying to get my turn on the coin operated phone to call my wife. Then it might say "all lines from Leeds are engaged"
This reminds me of an amusing incident when I worked for the MoD many moons ago.

I had occasion to contact my opposite number in the German Military by phone and placed a request with our switchboard operator. After a short delay, he got on the internal phone to me apologising profusely. "I'm terribly sorry sir, Germany is engaged. I'll let you know when I get a line "

Different times :)
 

Silent

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2016
Messages
754
Location
London
Red McDonalds adverts in train stations
Red Dot Matrix bus stop countdown

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Needing to use a wallet and coins

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Folding the buggy to board the bus
Using magnetic strip cards (in fact feel too young for this as oyster came out when I was 9 years old) I must have used it but don't have strong memory of using it.
Going to the shop to top up phone sim or oyster.
 
Last edited:

Western Lord

Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
1,065
I liked Westlers burgers (loosely speaking) too, but again this over 50 years ago. I tried some a few years ago, but they didnt taste the same, think it was the gravy - I'm sure it used to be richer than that.

Please tell :)

​

Let's just say that food hygiene standards were not all that we might expect today, fifty years ago.
 

SargeNpton

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2018
Messages
1,746
With the rise in cafetieres, home Barista machines and coffee pods: the percolator.

You can still buy them, but it's been years since I saw anybody actually use one.

(edited to correct spelling mistake)
 
Last edited:

Killingworth

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2018
Messages
6,496
Location
Sheffield
Draught excluders and door seals.

In our case it was strips of copper that were fixed into the door frames to create a very strong seal when the door was closed. Over time the constant flexing every time the door was opened or closed caused the strip to split. When the door opened it was like a vacuum was released and all the smoke from the coal fire was suddenly sucked into the room.

There was a hinged wooden contraption at the base of the door that ensured the exclusion was complete.
 

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2005
Messages
2,751
Location
Staffordshire
Excuse my ignorance, but what is this?
Essentially a long, thin tube (think similar to a solid drinking straw) which you would insert the filter end of a cigarette into one end and inhale through the other end of the tube. I think the idea was to allow ladies of a certain era to smoke without their gloves becoming nicotine stained and smelling excessively of cigarettes
 

Top