• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things in living memory which seem very anachronistic now

Harpo

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2024
Messages
3,926
Location
Newport
The daily wallets I had in mind were large bags about the size of a briefcase that bought all of the special notices and diagrams to the depot on a daily basis. Some items were loose in the bag and others arrived in envelopes. The label got turned over and the emptiy wallets went back to central mail rooms for re-use.

There were also boxed deliveries for bulkier notices delivered in volume.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
Are these the things we called "Internal post envelopes" where I worked? We used both types of the image below - and they rarely seemed to last more than four or five names before getting chucked, even if they were still intact - what an appalling waste of paper!!

View attachment 197700
I remember exactly those 'reusable' envelopes back in the early '70s. They were usually store in a department stationery area so that maximum reuse would take place. Although the window on the tab would lose all its stickyness, normal sellotape was used to close them until the tab fell off. One sort of game was played by re-using those that had previous addresses that were high-ranking executives/directors or other interesting characters. Recipients would then sometimes open them somewhat quicker.
 

Ediswan

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2012
Messages
3,459
Location
Stevenage
I remember exactly those 'reusable' envelopes back in the early '70s. They were usually store in a department stationery area so that maximum reuse would take place. Although the window on the tab would lose all its stickyness, normal sellotape was used to close them until the tab fell off. One sort of game was played by re-using those that had previous addresses that were high-ranking executives/directors or other interesting characters. Recipients would then sometimes open them somewhat quicker.
The sort where you wound a piece of string around a thick card button lasted longer. More bulky though.
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,462
Location
Somerset
Household electrical appliances provided without plugs, meaning we all had to wire them ourselves. Such a senseless waste of human life !
When half the country had square pin sockets and the other half still had round (and one or two still needed to bayonet an appliance into a light fitting) fitting a “standard” plug was pretty pointless.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
Natural selection ;)
I have known how to fit mains plugs since may age was a single character. why there couldn't have been an adult education programme since WW2 I can't understand.
I did however live in a house from age 12 to age 20 where the plugd had a large round ground pi, a smaller neutral pin and a screw-in fuse as the line pin. That was nice and easy to change the fuse, but sometimes the thread on the pin would strip, and it was left in the wall socket, with 240V ac on it! <(
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,462
Location
Somerset
I have known how to fit mains plugs since may age was a single character. why there couldn't have been an adult education programme since WW2 I can't understand.
There was a time when it was generally expected that knowledge would be passed from parents to children (usually fathers to sons in this case) - unless of course you had servants to do it or were getting electricity for the first time, when I suspect someone (either from the electricity board or Radio Rentals) would have shown you.
 

Bank Foot AM

Member
Joined
19 Jun 2025
Messages
30
Location
Cumbria
Household electrical appliances provided without plugs, meaning we all had to wire them ourselves. Such a senseless waste of human life !
We always seemed to have more appliances than plugs in our house, so it was often necessary to borrow one from something that wasn't currently (no pun intended) in use in order to plug something else in, especially when a newly purchased item had arrived without one. My Hammant and Morgan Duette seemed to be a frequent donor, causing annoyance and disappointment whenever I found the bare ends of the flex. I did learn to wire a plug at an early age though.
 

Acey

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2018
Messages
431
I have known how to fit mains plugs since may age was a single character. why there couldn't have been an adult education programme since WW2 I can't understand.
I did however live in a house from age 12 to age 20 where the plugd had a large round ground pi, a smaller neutral pin and a screw-in fuse as the line pin. That was nice and easy to change the fuse, but sometimes the thread on the pin would strip, and it was left in the wall socket, with 240V ac on it! <(
Agree,I often wonder why basic "life skills" weren't taught in schools ( well not in mine anyway) everyday things like writing a check/basic introduction to finance etc,all the little things that smooth the river of life !
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,462
Location
Somerset
Agree,I often wonder why basic "life skills" weren't taught in schools ( well not in mine anyway) everyday things like writing a check/basic introduction to finance etc,all the little things that smooth the river of life !
That’s what parents were for! Far less recognition in those days that not every family matched the “Ladybird Book” ideal (but also I suspect a higher acceptance of those responsibilities).
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,153
Location
Wilmslow
My dad probably taught me how to wire a plug, but before long I was teaching him when he insisted on putting a 5A fuse in a kettle plug and complaining that it was broken. I had to point out to him the kettle’s power rating in watts required a 13A fuse.
Mind you, I also had neighbours who used a 13A fuse in everything because it was beyond their comprehension. I think they died from natural causes.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Agree,I often wonder why basic "life skills" weren't taught in schools ( well not in mine anyway) everyday things like writing a check/basic introduction to finance etc,all the little things that smooth the river of life !
Although I don’t have children and little expertise on our current school system, I agree, these things plus the basics of civil/criminal law and how to question and research nonsense presented on social media seem to be lacking.
The classes I most remember from my education were these kind of things; the obvious ones like languages and sciences were a given.
Plus cooking food is dead easy, but you first of all need to be shown how, I’m fine now but I wasn’t.
 
Last edited:

JamesT

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2015
Messages
4,904
I was definitely taught how to wire a plug at school. I want to say during High School Physics lessons. This would have been in the mid-90s.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,590
Location
LBK
The UK three pin plug was part of the electronics syllabus in my Physics lessons (probably got taught this in about 1998/99) - but we weren't taught how to *wire* it, just how the plug worked.

I have never needed to wire a plug.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
I remember exactly those 'reusable' envelopes back in the early '70s. They were usually store in a department stationery area so that maximum reuse would take place.
Ours tended to get hoarded in the recipients' desks. For some reason most of us always seemed to get more internal post than we sent.

The sort where you wound a piece of string around a thick card button lasted longer. More bulky though.
That'll be the one on the right in my screenshot in that post; the orange one on the left was the one with the not very sticky self adhesive bit.

We would be using these envelopes right up to the early 2000s even after e-mail came in.



...and all this reminds me of triple carbon paper requisition forms, to be written in with what you needed, sent to your line manager for signing and then sent on to the Purchasing department who would actually place the order.

On one occasion, I had a large batch to do in one go, something like 10 or 11 different requis. I had long since had a suspicion that the managers were just blindly signing them without really reading them, so I wrote an extra one which I slipped into the middle of the pile. This extra one was for "a grey pachyderm on four legs with two metres of flexible trunking attached."

The manager signed it... :lol:
 

m0ffy

Member
Joined
24 May 2022
Messages
373
Location
Leicestershire
I still use those envelopes - the company still has a great internal post system (although it used to be better), but mostly for parcels now.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,942
I was definitely taught how to wire a plug at school. I want to say during High School Physics lessons. This would have been in the mid-90s.

The UK three pin plug was part of the electronics syllabus in my Physics lessons (probably got taught this in about 1998/99) - but we weren't taught how to *wire* it, just how the plug worked.

I have never needed to wire a plug.

Yep, part of my phsyics class in 1984, and wired it. I was astounded that I was the only kid who knew how to do it already. I had to wire a plug on the hoover only last week, as the moulded one had decayed and was showing the internal wiring.
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,131
I had to wire a plug on the hoover only last week, as the moulded one had decayed and was showing the internal wiring.
Surely in that situation, you throw the old Hoover away and buy a new one in this disposable era :D .
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,950
Location
Gwynedd
I've had to wire plugs in recent years, where I've bought say a washing and I needed to thread the cable up through a small hole in the worktop. So had to cut the plug off, thread it, then stick a new plug on.

Not a hugely useful skill otherwise though!
 

Minnietheminx

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2021
Messages
66
Location
Barnsley
Yep, part of my phsyics class in 1984, and wired it. I was astounded that I was the only kid who knew how to do it already. I had to wire a plug on the hoover only last week, as the moulded one had decayed and was showing the internal wiring.
My mum taught me when I was about 8 or so - and she never wired a plug again, just handed it to me. Came in useful in 1986 though, both O level physics and home economics (food) had questions that year demanding labelled diagrams of wiring a 3 pin plug
 

Tester

Established Member
Joined
5 Jul 2020
Messages
1,733
Location
Watford
<snip>
On one occasion, I had a large batch to do in one go, something like 10 or 11 different requis. I had long since had a suspicion that the managers were just blindly signing them without really reading them, so I wrote an extra one which I slipped into the middle of the pile. This extra one was for "a grey pachyderm on four legs with two metres of flexible trunking attached."

The manager signed it... :lol:
I'm presuming that the order failed at some subsequent point, or there would be a big story here :D :D
 

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,104
Location
At home or at the pub
Household electrical appliances provided without plugs, meaning we all had to wire them ourselves. Such a senseless waste of human life !
It's law that electrical goods now have to be fitted with plugs, this was largely due to a campaign by BBC Watchdog.

In the late 1980s, Watchdog investigations showed that numerous accidents were caused when the electrical plugs on new electrical appliances were incorrectly wired. At the time, all new electrical goods were sold with bare wires and customers were expected to fit plugs themselves. These investigations led to a British law forcing all manufacturers selling electrical products in the UK to supply them with fitted plugs.

 

croydontangle

Member
Joined
28 Dec 2023
Messages
54
Location
Wakefield
Despite being a younger member of the forum I’ve known how to wire a BS 1363 plug for quite a few years — has come in useful since I do stage lighting now! Have also wired the BS 546 round pin plugs as we still use these for some dimmable fixtures.

Even if it’s incredibly uncommon in everyday life it’s a good thing to know when you need it, don’t see why it isn’t taught in physics still! Thinking of all the electricals that are chucked for simple issues like the one Bald Rick mentioned having upthread
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,069
I do Portable Appliance Testing as one of my jobs at work and as such to do it properly (some don't!) knowing how to wire a plug properly is important. The other day there was an appliance where the earth wire was tight within a plug and as such would have disconnected first if pulled, and that was from a well known manufacturer of kitchen appliances! The earth wire is supposed to have some slack in it so if the flex is pulled the earth disconnects last for safety reasons, this wiring job would would have resulted in the earth disconnecting first, not good.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
I do Portable Appliance Testing as one of my jobs at work and as such to do it properly (some don't!) knowing how to wire a plug properly is important. The other day there was an appliance where the earth wire was tight within a plug and as such would have disconnected first if pulled, and that was from a well known manufacturer of kitchen appliances! The earth wire is supposed to have some slack in it so if the flex is pulled the earth disconnects last for safety reasons, this wiring job would would have resulted in the earth disconnecting first, not good.
Clearly, the sheer inability of the average domestic user of mains powered equipment to correctly wire a BS1363A ('13A mains plug') is a potential hazard is now less of a safety hazard where moulded plugs are now the norm. There is another hazard that lurks with the use of moulded leads where the appliance has a 3 pin plug and the lead has a 3 pin 'kettle plug' style free socket. The rectangular plug pins are gripped by cheeks of flexible beryllium copper or brass, and with repeated mating become fatigued, making for a poor electrical connection. The consequences can be arcing and burnout of the line &/or neutral pins or worse, unreliable earth connections. Working with a lot of instrumentation, the PAT testing included a pull test and measurement of the connection resistance under movement.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
I'm presuming that the order failed at some subsequent point, or there would be a big story here :D :D
The procedure was that the manager returned the signed requis to the person who filled them in and that person then popped them in the internal post to Purchasing.

I had, however, taken the precaution of warning Purchasing what I was doing first because it wasn't unknown for the managers to forward the signed batches directly, especially if - as in this case - there were lots of requis involved. As it happened, the batch came back to me. I wish I'd thought to frame the requi...
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
I was definitely taught how to wire a plug at school. I want to say during High School Physics lessons. This would have been in the mid-90s.
I was taught it in a very early physics lesson in the late 60s. I think as an 11 year old I’d already been shown by my dad though. I always thought it was a bit of an own goal that new plugs all came with a 13A fuse, wouldn’t it have been better to guide people to buy the right size?

Suddenly remembered the school physics curriculum also covered water and central heating systems?
 

Tester

Established Member
Joined
5 Jul 2020
Messages
1,733
Location
Watford
I was taught it in a very early physics lesson in the late 60s. I think as an 11 year old I’d already been shown by my dad though. I always thought it was a bit of an own goal that new plugs all came with a 13A fuse, wouldn’t it have been better to guide people to buy the right size?
I didn't learn plug wiring at school (would have also been late 60s), but from a younger age from my father, who was a pharmacist but did electrical work on the side.

I also thought that it was silly to have a 13A fuse default, and was delighted to discover that BS1362 fuses existed rated at 1A, 2A, 5A, 7A & 10A, as well as the more normal 3A & 13A.

So I got some of each and went around the house changing fuses to match the appliance rating plates.

I remember being unpopular because the fridge fuse blew, as I hadn't allowed for the compressor starting current.

I think that probably counts as anachronistic!
 

johntea

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2010
Messages
3,052
Ours tended to get hoarded in the recipients' desks. For some reason most of us always seemed to get more internal post than we sent.


That'll be the one on the right in my screenshot in that post; the orange one on the left was the one with the not very sticky self adhesive bit.

We would be using these envelopes right up to the early 2000s even after e-mail came in.



...and all this reminds me of triple carbon paper requisition forms, to be written in with what you needed, sent to your line manager for signing and then sent on to the Purchasing department who would actually place the order.

On one occasion, I had a large batch to do in one go, something like 10 or 11 different requis. I had long since had a suspicion that the managers were just blindly signing them without really reading them, so I wrote an extra one which I slipped into the middle of the pile. This extra one was for "a grey pachyderm on four legs with two metres of flexible trunking attached."

The manager signed it... :lol:

When I worked in a school we had a internal post system of trays in the staff room, the recycling of previously used envelopes would have kept Mother Nature very happy indeed that is for sure! The guy responsible for doing all the post was a legend too, he had no aspirations ever to be anything more than the bloke doing the post and everyone loved him!

I shiver when I look back at the days of a holiday request involving filling in a slip of paper, leaving it on your line manager desk, having to eventually ask them anyway as they had inevitably not noticed it in the mess of all the other paperwork on their desk, then they would have to sign it and send it off to HR who would finally log it on the system about a millennium after you had come back from the day off!

I do Portable Appliance Testing as one of my jobs at work and as such to do it properly (some don't!) knowing how to wire a plug properly is important. The other day there was an appliance where the earth wire was tight within a plug and as such would have disconnected first if pulled, and that was from a well known manufacturer of kitchen appliances! The earth wire is supposed to have some slack in it so if the flex is pulled the earth disconnects last for safety reasons, this wiring job would would have resulted in the earth disconnecting first, not good.

We used to have PAT Testers coming in and charging 20p a go or whatever - fair enough until they spotted that full box of power cables that were brand new, still in packaging, probably never ever going to be used they just came as standard with the new computers each year, 'ah we better test every single one of those just in case of course...'

Eventually I think we managed to train someone internally in the Estates department to carry it out instead!

It was ALWAYS the kettle that would fail... :(
 

Top