• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things in living memory which seem very anachronistic now

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Indigo Soup

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2018
Messages
1,488
BMW get round this with their indicators by not providing any!
There is a theory that BMW have designed their cars with indicators, but there's a perennial shortage. The owners have been advised that a team of fitters will be sent out as soon as the parts become available, and that they could need access to both sides of the car at any time.

This explains why BMW drivers fail to indicate, and why they take up two parking spaces.
 

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2016
Messages
6,082
That is an era that I do not miss. 88888 (Jamba?) used to be advertised on telly quite frequently and people didn't realise that they were actually signing up for a subscription service.

I was working for one of the big networks at the time and dealing with the fallout was a massive headache. We had parents calling up complaining that their kids' prepay credit was being swallowed up or that their bills were enormous.

It was known as Jamster in the UK and several other countries.
 

Acey

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2018
Messages
431
Those small pyramid shaped things which you lit,much like a firework which was meant to clear a greenhouse etc of bugs !
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,709
Kenwood Chef electric food mixers complete with bowl, liquidiser attachment and dial to adjust speed of mixing.
 

dangie

On Moderation
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
2,353
Location
Rugeley Staffordshire
Really, - plenty of shoe shoips around here.
I can get safety boots from Screwfix. Trainers & football boots from Sports Direct or JD Sports. Hiking & climbing footware from Go Outdoors. Slippers from Home Bargains….. but general footware from………. nowhere :frown:
 

pdq

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2010
Messages
901
I can get safety boots from Screwfix. Trainers & football boots from Sports Direct or JD Sports. Hiking & climbing footware from Go Outdoors. Slippers from Home Bargains….. but general footware from………. nowhere :frown:
Don't know where you're based, but it seems surprising that a town with all the above doesn't have at least one Schuh, Office, Deichmann, Clarks, Wynsors or Shoezone nearby.
 

Monarch010

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2013
Messages
94
Out of utter ignorance, I was going to post "jumble sales", being unaware of any for years, but a quick preliminary search displayed, to my surprise, lots of events happening right now.
 

philthetube

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2016
Messages
4,192
Don't know where you're based, but it seems surprising that a town with all the above doesn't have at least one Schuh, Office, Deichmann, Clarks, Wynsors or Shoezone nearby.
Or Hotter :D
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
Don't know where you're based, but it seems surprising that a town with all the above doesn't have at least one Schuh, Office, Deichmann, Clarks, Wynsors or Shoezone nearby.

Or Hotter :D
Or Next, Pavers and M&S. In Rugeley, there's a Stead & Simpson, Peacocks, LFS, and a fair selection in the neighbouring settlements of Litchfield, Stafford and Brownhills. That's pretty good for a town of just over 26,000 population. Just how many shoe shops do you expect to see.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,167
Location
Elginshire
Really, - plenty of shoe shoips around
Nope, not around here. There's a long-established local retailer that has two outlets in town and TK Maxx sells footwear, but all the traditional shoe shops have gone.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans


Link to Kenwood food mixer site
Reminds me of when I was staying in a Hayling Island hotel in 1976. Also staying there was a group of guys who were attending a training course on the latest model Kenwood Chef at the Thorn factory in Havant. They were a friendly lot.
At that time, Thorn were phasing out the old (701) model and selling off the excess mixing bowl stock to staff. One of the guys got me a couple, excellent as general purpose bowls made (I think) of acetal, very tough and still in regular use. Cost, 10p each! According to the BoE inflation calculator, about 68p today.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,307
Reminds me of when I was staying in a Hayling Island hotel in 1976. Also staying there was a group of guys who were attending a training course on the latest model Kenwood Chef at the Thorn factory in Havant. They were a friendly lot.
At that time, Thorn were phasing out the old (701) model and selling off the excess mixing bowl stock to staff. One of the guys got me a couple, excellent as general purpose bowls made (I think) of acetal, very tough and still in regular use. Cost, 10p each! According to the BoE inflation calculator, about 68p today.
There are two Kenwood Chefette bowls on my kitchen window sill, with plants growing in them. Must be over 30 years since we had the machine they went with…
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,709
Contrariwise: when car tyres were expected to fail catastrophically with such frequency that it was necessary to lug an extra one around with you all the time, rather than a compact and lightweight puncture repair kit.
I actually liked having a proper spare. And was quite adept at jacking up etc. What I was guilty of (among many things) was delaying calling in to have my flat repaired or replaced. Meant I drove around with a "spare" in the boot which was actually only decorative.
 

johntea

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2010
Messages
3,049
When television presenters would say "Don't try this at home!" before some daft/ dangerous activity was shown e.g. Blue Peter.

You've just reminded me of the ITV show Don't try this at home from 1998!

Hand feeding sharks...you can probably try that at home

Riding a bucking bronco in a shopping centre whilst trying to eat an ice cream...EXTREME DANGER!

 

PG

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
3,470
Location
at the end of the high and low roads
Usage of E&OE (errors and omissions excepted) seems to have fallen out of favour at some point in the previous century. It was usually seen in publicity materials by businesses and also periodicals.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
Usage of E&OE (errors and omissions excepted) seems to have fallen out of favour at some point in the previous century. It was usually seen in publicity materials by businesses and also periodicals.
It was often included as a get out when giving information about products and services. Ever since the introduction of the Trade Description Act 1968, and it's several updates, consumer law has tightened to reduce the use of the abbreviation in anything implying transactional conditions.
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,455
Location
Somerset
Out of utter ignorance, I was going to post "jumble sales", being unaware of any for years, but a quick preliminary search displayed, to my surprise, lots of events happening right now.
Which is also symptomatic - we can find out within seconds the entire world’s opinion about some minor US celebrity (or anything else we want / don’t want to know) but are much less aware of what’s going on in our immediate surroundings.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I actually liked having a proper spare. And was quite adept at jacking up etc. What I was guilty of (among many things) was delaying calling in to have my flat repaired or replaced. Meant I drove around with a "spare" in the boot which was actually only decorative.
The only time I have ever needed to replace a tyre roadside (so far) was at 7.30pm on Christmas Eve (Thursday IIRC) with several commitments to driving over the following few days. Was I glad that Skoda put full spares in!
 

Killingworth

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2018
Messages
6,495
Location
Sheffield
The only time I have ever needed to replace a tyre roadside (so far) was at 7.30pm on Christmas Eve (Thursday IIRC) with several commitments to driving over the following few days. Was I glad that Skoda put full spares in!
Memories, of a hot day driving up the M1 near Wakefield and realising rear nearside had deflated suddenly - just after entering a contra flow section! Suited and on the way to a business meeting in Leeds.

Fortunately I found a gap in the crash barrier to pull off, jack up and remove the punctured wheel, on with the spare and away with traffic wizzing by very close. Nobody to witness my efficient pit stop other than all those passing vehicles.

Earlier I had one on the old A1 just out of Newcastle centre heading towards Gosforth. I managed to get off the road for a quick change there too.

Nowadays the slightest loss of air pressure brings up a warning light and a feeling of trepidation, but so far only slow punctures. I still carry a full spare wheel. Not sure I'd be able to do such a quick wheel change today.
 

dcbwhaley

On Moderation
Joined
4 Aug 2018
Messages
835
Usage of E&OE (errors and omissions excepted) seems to have fallen out of favour at some point in the previous century. It was usually seen in publicity materials by businesses and also periodicals.
Replaced by T&Cs apply
 

Trackman

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2013
Messages
4,301
Location
Lewisham
Usage of E&OE (errors and omissions excepted) seems to have fallen out of favour at some point in the previous century. It was usually seen in publicity materials by businesses and also periodicals.
I always thought it was errors and omissions exempt
 

Top