calc7
Established Member
- Joined
- 8 Aug 2011
- Messages
- 2,097
use of railcards on VT peak services
There has been some confusion on the use of railcards on Virgin Trains Services.
To clarify, customers purchasing off peak ticket types SVS/SVR, which are discounted using 16-25, Senior, Disabled Persons, HM Forces and Family & Friends Railcard, can travel on Virgin Trains services at any time.
An example of this, a customer travelling Euston to Manchester with a railcard can travel anytime with SVS/SVR.
However, if a customer starts their journey at Euston travelling to Bolton and is travelling during the peak time, an off peak ticket will not be offered using any railcard.
Separate tickets would need to be purchased between Euston-Manchester and Manchester - Bolton if a customer wants to take advantage of travelling during the peak with SVS/SVR and a valid railcard.
If a customer travels Blackpool- Euston leaving 07:00, an off peak ticket will not be offered in any retailing systems.
A separate ticket would need to be purchased between Blackpool and Preston.
This easement is not permitted for travel between Milton Keynes Central and London Euston.
Is that somewhere close?
To clarify, customers purchasing off peak ticket types SVS/SVR, which are discounted using 16-25, Senior, Disabled Persons, HM Forces and Family & Friends Railcard, can travel on Virgin Trains services at any time.
Clear as mud!
What I think they are trying to say is that the origin and destination on the ticket have to stations served by Virgin (other than Milton Keynes and Euston as a pair) and natruly you have to use a Virgin train for the whole journey or until you become off-peak anyway.
Is that somewhere close?
That brief is actually for the travel trade, and merely wishes to tell people in the industry what tickets their retail systems will now offer.
It's not meant as a customer-facing guide to how the easement works, I don't think.
Definitely, but I think we can use it as a fairly solid idea on how guards may deal with people previously travelling on through tickets.
I have a friend who still buys Berkswell-London YP tickets (I was challenged to find proof that it is not allowed - here it finally is) and is thus far unchallenged, that said.
That won't be quite so bad since he can change at BHI onto a Virgin train
I can buy a off peak return from Coleshill Parkway to Lancaster anyday this week (mon -Fri) for 24.00 pounds each way (F&F railcard 1 adult + 1 child). Depart 08.32 from Coleshill
But I cannot purchase a Coleshill to Preston off peak return for the same train. (next train one hour later fare 18.80 each way)
By adding a day return from Preston to Lancaster 6.20 = Total under 44.00 - But you cannot do it.
Why oh why?
Yes they areCan I just confirm that Virgin Trains are recommending that passengers affected by this restriction should use split tickets?
If they ever do. Some TOCs have clearly been asking for ATOC to moan about split tickets and ask the DfT to ban them somehow. But I do not know if Virgin is among those TOCs.Could be useful next time they argue that split tickets deprive them of revenue.
Which is (in my opinion) inherently unfair as they are not adhering to the restrictions of the ticket that is otherwise sold.
Especially when you consider that split tickets are not always going to be cheaper.
Which is (in my opinion) inherently unfair as they are not adhering to the restrictions of the ticket that is otherwise sold....
....Especially when you consider that split tickets are not always going to be cheaper.
An easement is unfair? Well, that'll be a quick way to get the it removed completely.
True - the clarification could be a lot better though. The easement is unfair in that it is contradictory to the other restrictions on tickets. A customer purchases a ticket with a railcard that allows (for example) return by any train, only to be told that when they are on the train Virgin have their own rule which is directly contradictory to the ticket's restrictions....
....The Virgin easement (in my opinion) should be "on tickets where all travel is provide by Virgin, railcard holders holding a railcard discounted ticket can use any train" and nothing about penalising railcard holders travelling on Mossley Hill - Lichfield tickets.
The Virgin easement (in my opinion) should be "on tickets where all travel is provide by Virgin, railcard holders holding a railcard discounted ticket can use any train" and nothing about penalising railcard holders travelling on Mossley Hill - Lichfield tickets.
That is what the actual easement essentially says.
What you're reading in this post is a briefing for people who work in the travel trade. It is not the easement verbatim.
I wonder what will happen when I go to Broadgreen and ask for a return from Lime St to Euston and a zero-price overdistance excess for the outward leg from Broadgreen......
(as I may wish to return at peak time)....
....And I wonder if Virgin staff will follow people alighting at Lime Street so that they can ask anyone getting onto a Merseyrail train to James St. for an extra £130....
....The rule doesn't particularly bother me, I would rather get on an empty peak-time train and get the bus home from Lime St than end up on a packed off-peak train, but I do think it's been poorly thought out.
I would rather get on an empty peak-time train and get the bus home from Lime St than end up on a packed off-peak train
This sums up a lot of what's wrong with Virgin's (and others') pricing strategy :roll: