Thanks for your comments Keith & Techni, no doubt a return to Reading will be had next year (or so) when the 800s (& 802s) are running around.
20th July Freedom of the North West Trip, Day Minus 1
Now a bit of background to my FoNW trip, the vast majority of my remaining Northern stations to visit were based on the Cumbrian Coast (as I was saving the best for last

) with 5 left on the Tyne Valley (and Dalton on the Barrow line). As usual my plans which were made back in February time change but in the end if everything worked out I could clear the last of my Northern stations on the Monday, keeping the following Saturday spare as a mop up in case of delays or cancellations resulting in having to ditch stations.
Anyhow, the rough plan was a 4-day weekend, with the Friday being spent in the North East to have a good session on the Tyne & Wear Metro before heading over to the Border City early Saturday morning to start with the rover proper. I managed to pick up a reasonable priced advance ticket on the 08:03 Grand Central Sunderland HST from Kings Cross, which resulted in an overnight stay in London the night before, this time managing to get a cheap room in the Old Street Easy Hotel.
Due to having the last couple evenings out of the house chasing down 43s, I had a later start than normal, as I needed to do some bits and bobs, getting a lift to the station to catch the 18:59 Waterloo service, which is booked not as a 159, but a solo 158. I was happy when it was low mileage 158882 rolling in for the speedy run to Waterloo (spent listening/watching Barry Gibbs performance at Glastonbury for some classic Bee Gees). Arrival was pretty much bang on time at around 20:19, and with Barbican in my sights (the hotel seems to be located mid-way between Barbican and Old Street stations), it was a walk down to the Northern Line platforms for 51726/51672 for the 34 chain move under the water to Embankment with 21483/21484 taking me the 72 chains to Blackfriars (every little helps).
You could probably guess what I was aiming for, and you would be correct in thinking it was 700s. I worked out I had roughly 6 chances of a winner heading northbound within the time limit (I was using my Oyster so had around 90 minutes to complete the journey). First service was a 12-coach 700, followed by a couple pairs of 377s, a required 700 was spotted heading south on a Sutton (grumbles), but my luck changed with required
700026 getting the usual tiny bus stop move down the hill to City Thameslink. A visit to the toilets as the next service was formed of 12 coaches, popping back onto the southbound platform for
700027 back up the hill to Blackfriars. A short fast walk across to the northbound platform as required
700022 rolled in to take me to Farringdon.
Considering the last time I went 700 hunting it took 45 minutes at Farringdon before my first required unit was spotted, to get 3 within 35 minutes was good going. I remained on 700022 to Farringdon, transferring over to the LU platform, turning down a metropolitan line service which was stuck due to a signal failure in the Mansion House area, eventually it got going as I jumped onto 21455/21456 for the 25 chain leap to Barbican on a Circle line service.
Swinging via the handy Tesco Express located outside Barbican station, it was a 5 minute walk to the Easy Hotel, where I got checked in for the night in a windowless room, no user controllable AC but unlike Croydon there wasnt the noisy electric box to buzz away in the background. A reasonable sized room (see the picture) giving a decent night kip (until around 2am when some drunks arrived having an argument at who had the room keys).
Room at Easy Hotel Old Street by
Kite, on Flickr
------
21st July Freedom of the North West, Day 0
After the night in Old Street, it was an early morning walk to Barbican station picking up 21441/21442 working a circle line service to Farringdon, where I had some time to kill (hey if Im paying £2.40 for a peak-time Z1 journey I might as well make the most of it). I positioned myself on the overbridge giving views of both Thameslink platforms, and views of the north/west bound LU platform just in case a required S7 happened to pop up.
I wasnt hanging around for long before required
700028 took me to City Thameslink, leaping onto
700035 at the station back to Farringdon for a short wait, watching the masses of commuters emptying out, a couple dud services later and it was my last possible move, which was winner
700030 to St Pancras, passing what looked like to be plain clothes Thameslink RPIs, crossing over the road to Kings Cross, where I gained access to the platform from the Virgin gateline due to saying Grand Central.
This mornings 08:03 was formed of 43484 leading 43480, I removed my seat reservation from a busy looking coach C (the great getaway started today, so full of families) to take a seat in coach A, the declassified First Class coach, just because I knew about it (looked like a couple genuine FC passengers got caught out by it as they walked forwards when the guard did a ticket check after departure, selling a couple tickets to Hartlepool. An enjoyable trip northbound, although once off the ECML the average speed collapsed, caught behind a stopping service on the coast line which meant some stops, but it made good time to arrive into the Cave of the North East, otherwise known as Sunderland.
I had previously asked for the location of my final 2 Northern 156s, sadly 463 was on the coast (but meant it could possibly fall for me later in the trip), but 480 was gettable as it was working Whitby services. Swinging via the ticket office to purchase a day return to Nunthorpe (and a Metro day ticket to save a job for later), before returning back underground to jump on sub-10 mile 142070, a Manchester exile with the original 3+2 bench seats. I managed to get the bay for the bouncy ride back down the coast, pausing at Middlesbrough where a passenger (who looked slightly drunk) ignored the announcements that this was a Nunthorpe train, not a Saltburn service, boarded (before moaning that he wanted the Saltburn service). Onto the single line section to Nunthorpe (where ironically this units previous entry onto my log was from Middlesbrough to Nunthorpe back in October prior to my day on the Esk Valley), I was the only passenger remaining on board after James Cook.
At Nunthorpe I had roughly half an hour before the 156 from Whitby would arrive (annoyingly if it had been a regular weekday not during high summer, this unit would have returned to Newcastle on the final service, but during July/August it works a 5th trip to Whitby). Popping to the local shop for some lunch, taking up a seat as 142070 departed back to Hexham, the level crossing barriers came down and
156480 rolled in to take me to Middlesbrough. Another unit bites the dust, the original plan was to fester at Middlesbrough for around 45 minutes for the next Hexham service to take me back to Sunderland, but on studying RTT it seemed the next Grand Central service had lost around 10 minutes, which meant a connection at Eaglescliffe which would normally be a -1 had turned into a decent connection.
No idea if a Sunderland Nunthorpe day return is valid via Eaglescliffe, but the guard on 142086 had no issue as it bounced into the island platform. A 156 on a Saltburn service seemed to depart a couple minutes early as I saw the headlights of a 180 waiting for the junction to clear, as 180114 rolled in to take me back along the coast in a bit of luxury (compared to a 142). Into Sunderland, where it was a bit chaotic as I believe this unit is meant to reverse back out of Sunderland to a siding near Park Grange junction, to head back into Sunderland to form the next London service (rather than going up the line to reverse around East Boldon). Anyhow it meant that the next Airport bound metro service got routed into the opposite platform and with the aim of getting to Gateshead to check in to drop off my clothes bag). Scoring a crossover to the north of Sunderland as I got lucky with required
4027 for the busy run to Gateshead, finding out it was a double win with required
4064 on the rear.
At the start of the trip I needed 14 of the T&W metro units, I know several were out of service (including long term out of use 4002), so my target was to get at least half, preferably to get under 5. My original plan was to head to South Gosforth to grab the units coming in from the depot on the peak-time services, avoiding the underground stations if possible. Anyhow after locating the guest house (Hotel Express), checking in to lose baggage it was back to Gateshead station, where due to the time of the day I ditched the plan to go north of the river. In traditional style I will post a summary of my moves over the next couple hours:
4070/4074 to Gateshead Stadium
4034/
4084 to Felling (sorry but Chav capital of the North East)
4067/
4059 to Heworth
4053/4050 to Felling
4040/
4083 to Gateshead Stadium
4006/
4011 to Felling
4015/
4077 to Gateshead Stadium
4032/
4031 to Gateshead
4046/4005 to Gateshead Stadium (mainly as a get out of the underground move)
4055/
4014 to Felling
4033/
4021 to Gateshead
4072/4056 to St James (via the Coast, grabbing the rear seat)
4056/4072 to Monument
Dinner was sourced in a Sainsburys local located just outside the gate line (which was wide open), my final move was 4037/4039 to Gateshead where I sourced some supplies from Tesco before walking back to the hotel for a relaxing night, with a good view of the river.
A productive session, knocking my requirements down to 3 units, long term out of service 4002, plus 4018 & 4043, neither of which I saw out and about (but I know they are short of units at the moment due to several breaking down), at the moment I have no idea when I will be back again in Newcastle to hunt them down. A decent nights sleep apart from getting woken up in the early hours by some drunken people having an argument about something or another, but here are some pictures.
142070 at Nunthorpe by
Kite, on Flickr
156480 at Middlesbrough by
Kite, on Flickr
My view of the River Tyne from the Hotel Window by
Kite, on Flickr