• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

barrowjack

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2015
Messages
268
Location
Barrow - Home of the Bluebirds!!!
Sounds like you had a good day on my local line there, even the sun was shining for you which is unusual!. Shame there loco hauled was cancelled though.

There are RPI's at Barrow, Ulverston and Carnforth now and has been for a while.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
1st July – Return of the Red Rose

Today was a day booked using the Virgin Trains Sale, original idea was going to be a nice day on Metrolink, however I changed my mind and went for a Lancashire Day Rover. As I was booked on the 06:36 Euston – Manchester service, it was an overnight stay in the Easy Hotel in Croydon. My day began with the 05:24(ish) Bedford service from East Croydon for the South London crawl, this morning in the hands of 377512 & 377523 for some unexpected Electrostar based crawling (making use of the plug socket in the former 1st class area behind one end of the cab). Both units were now into my “9 mile 80 chain” club which was a nice bonus to the day.

35 (or so) minutes [time spent watching/listening to some Glastonbury footage] later the 377s arrived into St Pancras and I had a little walk along the “Well Being Walk” to reach Euston, picking up my rover from the ticket office before a bacon sandwich from Sainsburys. The 06:36 was announced for boarding, as I headed down to board 390125, changing seats to an unreserved E8 just to get that little extra shoulder space. An uneventful run down the WCML, slowing down at Stafford due to catching up with a late running Scotland bound service from Birmingham, and going into Crewe via platform 1, before continuing to Manchester via Holmes Chapel, I think arrival was around 4 minutes down but as I had 30 minutes to play with it didn’t bother me.

Nothing required (not really that surprising giving my list of requirements) spotted in the bay platforms and the couple options for an Oxford Road Leap were dud, leaving me to grab a table seat on a reasonably loaded 350401 for some Desiro action to Lancaster, the train getting a bit more busier at Preston due to a Virgin service getting cancelled, however it arrived into Lancaster Castle roughly on time, giving me the option to head over to platform 5 to board 150207 for the small mileage run to Morecambe, making use of the “Heysham” line at Bare Lane due to having a dud 153 sat on platform 1 (also gave me an excuse to spot what was on the Morecambe shuttle just in case it was 153352.

Changing carriages on 150207, I took a decent seat heading back to Lancaster where the train got a bit more busier than the previous week, a quick reversal before the 150 headed north on the WCML coming off at Carnforth (noting that the Sellafield – Lancaster service was running 25 minutes late) before going round the tight curve to head in a roughly eastern direction, as I alighted at Wennington, my final station to visit in Lancashire. A small station for a small village, nothing much to report around the area, and with 20 minutes to fester after I had a small walk I did some reading.

144018 bounced in to take me back in a western direction, alighting at Carnforth for a short wait before a busy 185135 rolled in from Barrow to take me back to Lancaster, where I had the choice of 3 trains to take me south to Preston, one Virgin was running around 40 minutes late with the other showing as “formed of 10 carriages” so it would be a double voyager, so it was onto a wedged 350406 (from Edinburgh, full of families heading out to the airport) to stand for the 20 miles to Preston where I managed to get out, back into the fresh air, and with a roughly 40 minute wait before the Liverpool bound 319. So it was to the city centre to grab something to eat for lunch before returning to Preston.

There were 2 reasons why I was heading to Liverpool, firstly because I fancied a good run on a Northern 319 on AC and secondary both my remaining 507s were out on “Chester” services. 319379 rolled in (which just happened to be my last 319 to get for haulage, so was slightly under 10 miles), taking a seat in the motor coach (where else). As Mr Quest would say “Oh my Lordz” the motor noise was quite good, getting up to some speed on the WCML, swinging right after Wigan to pause at St Helens (where Mr 185143 joined me) before running fast to Liverpool (another brief pause at Huyton). After a quick swing to see which LM 350 was on the next Birmingham, we headed to the low level platform at Lime Street, waiting for the next Chester.

Winner 507027 was the first Chester which rolled in, so it was to James Street, the limit of validity for my rover, and useful as it gave us roughly 3-4 minutes to get across to the inbound loop platform. A mix of single and double units were on the Chester services, where to save sitting around for 15 minutes we did loops, involving 508125/507003, 507030, 507013/507032 & 507014. After making our way back across knowing the next Chester would be the 6th and final one. My fingers were crossed as 507029 rolled in attached to 508108, the class clearance cannon firing.

Sadly it was only a 70 chain leap on 029 to Lime Street, but nice to clear another class and another TOC, lucking out that both were out and about. It was a return to the light and fresh air at Lime Street high level, as I said farewell to 185143 (thanks for being with me, made the time go quicker) and joined 319363 on the limited stop Manchester Airport service, again another vocal 319 on a fast run, as I alighted at Oxford Road just to see what was floating around, noting that the Virgin services were a bit in chaos due to the driver overtime issues. With nothing better to do I jumped on sub 10 miles 150272 for a spin to Salford Crescent, returning to Piccadilly on a busy 150148 (featuring someone who didn’t realise that he was standing in front of the door open button).

I leapt on 158773/158865 for the short leap back to Oxford Road as I had previously noticed the next Airport bound ATW was “Formed of 4 carriages” so I was expecting a pair of 150s (or even 158s), so I was surprised when 175005 rolled in, even happier when I saw winner 175003 lurking on the rear to clear another class & TOC, all be it temporary on a 43 chain leap to Piccadilly, but was certainly a bonus. I noted that the 17:55 Virgin service was showing as delayed and looked busy, that 390 eventually departed around 18:05. According to the Virgin journey planner the 18:15, 18:55 & 19:35 (the one I was booked on) were all cancelled, not wanting to risk the 20:35 being full & standing, I decided to sneak around the gate line to access the platform via the footbridge in order to secure a decent seat on a reasonably busy 18:35 Euston, formed of a low mileage 390157.

The 390 emptied out a bit at Stoke, where it was running roughly 10 minutes late, after pausing at Milton Keynes Central, the service turned left to access the Bletchley Relief Loop 1 to pause for around 10 minutes due to congestion at Euston, a bonus microgrice. Eventually we got going arriving into Euston around 15 minutes late, which for me didn’t matter so much as I had 50 minutes to get to Waterloo for the 22:20 back home to Grateley. A quick walk to Euston Square as I jumped on 21025/21026 to take me to Finchley Road (oh dear I forgot to alight at Baker Street ;)), with 96037/96064 on a Jubilee line service to Waterloo.

A quick swing via Tesco to get a bite to eat before joining a very busy 159103 on the 22:20 back to Grateley, with a nice walk home to relax and reflect on a reasonable day in Lancashire, 3 winners, 1 new shack plus some decent 319 motor noise.

Here be some pictures (I have decided to resume putting my pictures at the end of the report as it makes it easier for me to type up)
150207 at Morecambe by Kite, on Flickr

150207 departs Wennington by Kite, on Flickr

185135 at Lancaster by Kite, on Flickr

507029 at Liverpool Lime Street by Kite, on Flickr

175003 at Manchester Piccadilly by Kite, on Flickr

------------

2nd July - A revisit to Tackley

Just a short report, but back in August 15 when I walked to Tackley from Heyford, only to find that the Banbury services were suspended due to signal failure at Slough, resulting in exiting the station via a bus meant it was an oddity on my record of having been visited but one I have never alighted or boarded from.

It was a lazy morning for me as I headed to Grateley station to catch the 13:32 (ish) Waterloo service, formed of 158888, 159019 & 159016 to take me to Basingstoke, where I managed to pull off the tight connection with a Reading stopper formed of 165126, which gave me roughly 90 minutes to kill in Reading, so I did some shopping/walking around noticing what shops had closed etc (bringing back memories so to speak).

Returning to Reading station, a Swansea bound HST was dud so I gave that a miss, to get a seat on 220002 working a Reading – Sheffield service to take me to Oxford. Crossing over to the bays as 165136 rolled in to form the 3rd and final Oxford - Banbury stopper of the day (basically Sundays only during the summer months, after September these services don’t run). I would say it was reasonably loaded but I would be lying as the train was mostly empty for the 9 mile run heading north to Tackley.

A slight annoyance ticked off, as I had a gentle walk across the field before returning to sit on a low brick wall enjoying the sunshine before 165136 returned for another vocal performance back to Oxford. 221137 was next up to take me to Reading where it terminated, giving me roughly 30 minutes to kill before the next Basingstoke service, so it was a pop to Tesco for a light bite to eat. Back to the station and 165126 took me back to Basingstoke, giving a decent connection onto 159010/159107 taking me back to Grateley

A short but sweet mini-trip, making use of a late start :)

165136 departs Tackley by Kite, on Flickr
Tackley Waiting Shelter by Kite, on Flickr
NSE era Sign at Tackley, good to know it was done on a Saturday by Kite, on Flickr

One of Quinn's favourite units, 220021 passing Tackley ;) by Kite, on Flickr

Timetable infomation at Tackley by Kite, on Flickr

----

And in random news, on the Friday I bumped into an old friend ;)
158884 departs Waterloo by Kite, on Flickr
 
Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Welcome back!!!! You were missed and this report came just in time to brighten a lengthy bus trip.

Nice to have tackled Tackley

2 class/TOC clearances in a day is just great, particular the wide spread high milage ATW and the dull and uninteresting Mersyrail.. What a great time killing idea on the Central Liverpool loop, festering is no fun there due to no mobile data meaning no forums, facebook or music and so one may as well bash, I can see this being coppied as foalk scramble for the PEPs prior to retirement.

Lankashire done too, nice! Appologies for the wedged TPX, Scottish Schools had just finished up.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Loved the reference to what I would have described the 319 as :D

Congratulations on sounding the Class Clearance Cannon twice in one day, especially by chance with the 175. Not even remotely jealous as I haven't cleared a class in quite some time, even the Victoria line sets clearance was a fair while back now. I can't tell you how tempted to rip out the magic plastic later to book a mini trip to London after work on Thursday...

Nice work on Tackley, something else I'm jealous of as I still need that one! And welcome back (even if temporary) to the trip reporting community :)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
Thanks for your comments, I was having a hard morning at work and needed to take my mind away from the in-fighting there currently is between some members of the team.

It was certainly nice getting that 175 in, and certainly those last two 507s. I was half expecting one to be on the Wirral with the other on the Northern lines.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
I enjoyed reading the reports and especially liked the phrase 'Class Clearance Cannon'.
Well done on the 507s and 175s.
Life may be crap at times. Thank god there's always railways to lose ourselves in. I wonder how many times in everyone's lives being able to absorb ourselves in our hobby has bailed us out of feeling down? Plenty of times for me I know that.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
7 & 8th July – Tramming It, Part 2

Cast your minds back to Easter Saturday where I headed to Sheffield & Nottingham in suit of clearing my remaining trams in those areas, only to come away from both cities needing Tram number 18. So I sat down, poured myself a nice glass of apple juice to think that I could hit two birds with one stone, staying over the Friday night with the idea of doing the PSUL move to Retford High Level at the same time. The original plan was to do Sheffield Trams on the Friday, doing a Northern £10 ticket on the Saturday to do the PSUL move plus a random day trip to Cleethorpes via Brigg, before heading to Nottingham to hunt down 218.

Sadly the strike made me change my mind, Brigg was out of the window and the PSUL will be done on the Friday night, with the Saturday spent on the trams. When I was booking tickets I found a £11.15 advance ticket to Doncaster (using my NUS discount which I think is 25% these days on Grand Central) on the 16:03. Considering everything else was £30+ to either Doncaster or Sheffield I decided to book it, although meaning I had to finish work earlier to catch the 13:59 from Grateley. Thankfully I had an hour saved up for going in early a few weeks ago so I escaped around 1pm, swinging via Tesco for some lunch before heading home, and heading to the station with plenty of time.

The 13:59 Waterloo is a solo 159020 (runs into another unit at Waterloo to form the pair on the 15:50), it was quite busy and a slow trip, stopping at the Durnsford Road Staff Halt, no idea if the local door was released for a member of staff to alight, or it was just a signal check. Anyhow arrival into Waterloo was around 5 minutes late, thankfully the peak time subway was open allowing me to make use of that shortcut (it is quieter compared to the main concourse), with the heat hitting me with Bakerloo set 3534/3251 taking me to Oxford Circus, with 11067/11068 getting the extra mile and a half to Kings Cross St Pancras. Exiting the LU station the fresh air reminded why I don’t like doing deep level LU in the summer time.

It was easy enough to locate which train would be taking me north tonight, and it would be 180101 getting a 2nd mention in my haulage log (was hoping for 105 as I need that one for 10 miles), but it was easy enough to find my reserved seat, even though I was sat opposite a couple of gormless looking students (the sort who either was reading a celebrity magazine or texting away on their smashed up iPhone). It was a slow start north due to the previous Hull Trains service having some sort of trouble, meaning a queue was building behind it, as we overtook it on the 4-track section between Peterborough & Grantham building up speed to arrive into Doncaster only a few minutes late.

I had previously purchased my “South Yorkshire Connect+” rover from Andover ticket office in the week, allowing me to head straight towards platform 3 where a fast service for Sheffield was due to roll in from Bridlington, formed of 158797 which I took to Sheffield for some 158 based action, I had news that my final 153 was working out of Manchester so there would be no point hanging around Sheffield station, so once into the station it was a short walk to the tram stop for tram 113 to take me to the Cathedral stop to allow me a short walk to check into my hotel for the night, dropping off some weight.

Swinging via a Tesco Express near the Cathedral I saw a familiar looking numbered tram heading past on a Meadowhall working, so after a few minutes it was onto tram 115 to take me to Arena Don Valley with a short fester to intercept tram 118 to take me back to Fitzalan Square, my final Sheffield Tram of the original batch for haulage, certainly saved me a job for the morning. A fast walk back to the station, saw me boarding a Huddersfield bound 144021 for a time wasting run to Denby Dale for no reason other than to waste some time, as the next Sheffield service was extended to Retford (and looking at the timetable the only service from this line to continue beyond Sheffield).

144022 would be my home for the next few hours, as I took a seat, purchase my ticket from Kiveton Park to Retford, and relaxed for some pacer thrash back onto the main-line for a fast reversal at Sheffield, I lost one droning female at Sheffield (boarded at Barnsley) who sadly got replaced by another droning female (thankfully she alighted at Kiveton Bridge), so it was a case of my iPod providing the music as the train continued heading east, turning left at Trumpton West Junction to climb up around the tight bend (epic flange squeal) to terminate into Retford platform 2. That part was previously covered on a charter train, the part I needed was the Sheffield bound side, taking the flyover to rejoin the Sheffield bound line.

After a couple pictures, it was back on board 144022, surprisingly busy, some more epic flange squeal and going over the flyover and heading back towards Sheffield, another PSUL move into my book (leaves just Wrexham General P3 to the Bidston line). Once back into Sheffield, arriving into the southern end of platform 6, it was a long walk back to the footbridge where tram 101 took me to Cathedral to save me a short walk. It was a quick walk to the hotel where I retired for the evening, phone on charge with the alarm set for the unusually late 08:00.

Sheffield Tram 118 at Ponds Forge by Kite, on Flickr

144021 departs Denby Dale by Kite, on Flickr

144022 at Retford by Kite, on Flickr
144022 at Retford by Kite, on Flickr

-----------

Day 2

A lazy start to the day as my plan had changed since scoring tram 118 the night before, so swinging via Tesco for some breakfast, it was onto tram 122 to take me to Middlewood, changing ends to Hillsborough where my plan to revisit Malin Bridge were put on hold due to the next service being 20 minutes time (having just missed a blue route tram at Hillsborough). A few minutes tram 120 returned from Malin Bridge to take me all the way to Halfway (yes I was a bit mad!)

Staying on board 120 it was back to Crystal Peaks, where I went into the shopping centre in search of lunch, before returning to the tram stop. Tram 105 took me to Hollinsend with 115 getting an extra 33 chains back to Gleadless Townend, before Tram 103 rolled in on the half hourly Purple Route service to Herdings Park.

Remaining on board (after a walk around), it was a quick run back to the city centre, bailing at Fitzalan Square, walking up to Castle Square to wait the next Yellow route tram, with my old foe 118 rolling in to take me to Meadowhall. I allowed that tram to depart, after noting tram 101 on the opposite platform displaying “not in use”, before they changed to “Middlewood” so it was onto tram 101 to get the opposite platform into my book (not sure if I scored it previously).

Tram 101 took me to Cathedral, where I had a short shopping session with tram 120 getting an extra 6 chains in from Castle Square to Fitzalan Square before tram 111 took me to Sheffield Station, to find out my booked train was running around 15 minutes late. This increased to 30 minutes as a warm 158770/158862 rolled into the bay platform at Sheffield. Not the fastest of journeys as it additionally called at Dronfield, Langley Mill & Ilkeston due to the Northern Strike removing the Northern services from the Nottingham – Sheffield part of the network.

Although on the bright side, the 35 minute delay into Nottingham meant I would get back £2.75 from my advance ticket! A short walk took me to the tram platform, purchasing my day ticket making a note of the “first spotted” trams before tram 212 took me to Royal Centre. I prefer the Royal Centre as it was quieter than the city centre stop, gave good views of many buses, and has decent benches. 40 (or so) minutes later the first trams on the Phoenix Park/Clifton South route had returned so I was getting ready for disappointment, only for tram 218 to roll in from Bulwell to take me all the way to the end of the line at Toton Lane.

Stepping back a tram, it was 204 which was up next to take me back to Old Market Square for a spot of shopping before tram 209 took me to Wilkinson Street, returning to Lace Market on tram 205 to visit the Tesco for something to eat with 216 finishing my tram day back to Nottingham Station. I was booked on the 19:32 HST, which tonight was formed of 43066 leading 43050, I did my usual trick in removing my reserved seat label from coach C to take up a seat in an unreserved coach D for the nice run to St Pancras. The couple options I had on Thameslink were both dud 700s so once St Pancras was reached, passing a busy looking 222/1 working the 21:25 Nottingham fast service.

To kill some time I decided to head to the Piccadilly Line platforms at Kings Cross St Pancras, which was its usual chaotic self, first westbound train in 5 minutes to Rayners Lane, then nothing for a further 10 minutes until a Heathrow bound service. Although remind me not to do this move again as it is quite a walk from the Piccadilly line platforms to the Jubilee line platforms at Green Park. 191/144 took me to Green Park, with 96025/96012 taking me to Waterloo. As usual it was a single unit on the 22:20 to Salisbury, and as usual it departed full & standing, getting worse at both Clapham & Wimbledon.

I have found myself a new “favourite” seat on a 159/1 when it is expected to be busy, basically where one pair of table seats were in the composite coach were removed, the seats were reversed which basically gives excellent leg room (but no seat back tray). Certainly better than a busy table seat on 159107, which emptied out at Basingstoke, replaced by some drunken idiots bound for Andover, ones who decided to throw up in the toilet, and I think I wasn’t alone in being thankful when they got off at Andover. Back to Grateley for a nice walk home, reflecting on a tram filled day where both my requirements got ticked off, no need to return to Nottingham in a hurry and Sheffield can wait for the Citylink 399s to enter service.

Sheffield Cathedral by Kite, on Flickr

Tram 122 at Hillsborough by Kite, on Flickr

Tram 120 at Halfway by Kite, on Flickr

Sheffield Tram 120 at Crystal Peaks by Kite, on Flickr

Tram 115 crossing the road after Gleadless Townend by Kite, on Flickr

Sheffield Tram 103 at Herdings Park by Kite, on Flickr

Sheffield Tram 103 at Herdings Park by Kite, on Flickr]
Sheffield Tram 119 in Sheffield City Centre by Kite, on Flickr

Trams 118 & 101 at Meadowhall by Kite, on Flickr

Supertram 101 at Cathedral by Kite, on Flickr

43304 arriving into Sheffield by Kite, on Flickr

Nottingham Tram 218 at Toton Lane by Kite, on Flickr

Next weekend sees my first time on the GWR sleeper seats for some rediscovery of lines in Cornwall, followed by the GBRf charter train “The Charitable Chibble” involving some class 20 haulage from Peterborough to umm Peterborough (via Sheffield)
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
Just caught up with your exploits Kite. What caught my eye was your Saturday with the Lancashire Ranger. I was up that way and had wondered if you had been near me that day. You hadn't! Been as productive as usual overall for you!

Life may be crap at times. Thank god there's always railways to lose ourselves in. I wonder how many times in everyone's lives being able to absorb ourselves in our hobby has bailed us out of feeling down? Plenty of times for me I know that.

That is so true! Can not echo that enough! I still have no desire though to return to reports as it stands so I get it when people don't have time or desire to write them! Not been on the forums much to be honest as I just don't have time at the moment.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
If it wernt for cranking I'd be seriously messed up by now. Sorry to hear your coleegs are bitching moany f)*kers Kite, I've been in that situation and it stinks.

Anyhow, to business: nice work on that advance, great price all be it inconveniently timed. Your bashers luck was with you up there as getting 2 little tram shaped buggers from 2 citys is no easy job so well done. Congrats on the PSUL also.

I still say a smashed up Iphone is the best kind so understand the special feeling of dread I experienced when you said this particular one still worked, because if its working its still being crap and overpriced and still has the ability to play that god awful tune! Grrrrrrrrrr!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Welcome to the NET 100% Cleared Club! Nice work in Sheffield too!

Just a bit jealous of you only needing one PSUL move though...

Cowley is definitely right, way too many times for me!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
I'm just 185143 on here :)

My bad :oops:

Agreed with iPhones, the number of users seemingly unable to change from the default sounds, although knowing Apple it is probably hard to change to a ringtone you want :lol:

I think it is just the one PSUL move as listed on the PSUL site, nothing else springs to mind when I read down the list.

That Doncaster GC ticket was indeed excellent valid for money considering it was a "peak-time" train. GC do have some bargain advance tickets, for example London to Sunderland next Friday morning on the 08:03 for £20.25, for some HST speed non-stop to York.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
19th July – How the West Was Won

Just a little post work spin, at the start of the month I required 5 GWR 43s to clear the passenger 43s, 43152 & 43138 were entered into my book of haulage on the 14th July during a Thames Valley Day Ranger pre-sleeper move. I got lucky as I spotted 43032 at Penzance giving chase as it worked a service to Newquay, which left 2 more to get, the target of some requests onto the TOPS request thread to see if they were floating around in the evening on a service gettable for me.

I was thinking it would take a while longer, either those last 2 popping up on peak-time Paddington -> Anywhere services which ran fast after Reading to Swindon, or not being at good times for me.

Anyhow, background story done, there was no joy on Monday, similar case on Tuesday morning until later that day I was told of a set swap. 43148 which was meant to have gone down to the South West ended up going to Swansea, which meant it would be returning towards Paddington around 18:05 (from Reading), normally a bit tight but it was running around 45 minutes late due to tragic events in the Cardiff area. 43148 joined my book of haulage, to leave just 43029.

43148 at London Paddington by Kite, on Flickr

Would the Shinto god of Bashing look kindly onto me, would lightning strike twice? Yes it does as 43029 ended up heading towards Newquay on the 09:XX service, the returning service even called at Newbury so I could get it on the cheap (£6-ish against ~ £22), I worked out a plan and couldn’t wait to get away.

The 17:59 from Grateley took me to Basingstoke, formed of 159017, connection was made onto 165135 working the Reading stopping service, giving an unofficial connection to a South West bound HST which called at Newbury (which saved 30 minutes on a stopping service). I made it to Reading before 43010/43078 rolled in for the 17 miles (and 8 chains) trip to Newbury, where with roughly 35 minutes to kill I popped out to the nearby Sainsburys [it be around 5 minutes walk due to having to detour via pedestrian crossings].

Needless to say I was a bit jumpy when the lights of the Newquay – Paddington service was spotted in the distance, would I get bowled out by a set swap in Plymouth? Nope, 43029 rolled in, with 43002 on the rear. I was over the moon, the hunt was over, and the west had been conquered.
43029 at Reading by Kite, on Flickr

Still buzzing as it was 165106 back to Basingstoke and 159002/159012 back to Grateley to finish the day, all the GWR 43s into my book for haulage which means all passenger 43s are in. Happy days it was, and set me up nicely for my Freedom of the North Western long weekend.

Although in a way I am sadden, at it means no more sitting around at the western end of platforms 10/11 at Reading watching the various movements in case I got lucky, currently I don't need anything which operates (in the daytime) at Reading [just 2x 57s which probably will never fall assuming the summer specials don't get given another extension to operate next year in Cornwall]
 
Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Your Reading Festerval (like what I tried to do there) will be back soon enough with 345s for the book on full length Elizabethrail turns and of course 800s, assuming the bluddy things ever enter traffic!

Well done good sir!
 

Dhassell

Member
Joined
22 Mar 2015
Messages
1,011
Well Done in clearing all your HST power cars Kite! Something I am along way off doing and probably never will! You will have to ask Network Rail nicely to try and get a ride behind the NMT :P
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
Your Reading Festerval (like what I tried to do there) will be back soon enough with 345s for the book on full length Elizabethrail turns and of course 800s, assuming the bluddy things ever enter traffic!

Well done good sir!

I suspect most of my 345s will be done within the Central London core. Reading will be back for the 800s and of course 387s when they start running that far.

DS - I suspect I won't be the only person who will do a rail-tour/gala if it involved the Network Rail 43s
 
Last edited:

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Kite, many congratulations on clearing the GWR HSTs. No doubt the clearance cannons sounded very loudly. As others before me have said, you'll only have a temporary respite from Reading with all the 387s and 800 family that will enter service in due course, not forgetting the 345s of course!

I've had all the HST powers cars at some point in time but there's still quite a few needed with MTU or VP185 engines. All three NR power cars are dud with Valenta power units and I have had the withdrawn ones too! But I still need the NR ones with their current power units.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Apologies for the extreme delay in replying, I've been a bit busy catching up with all sorts today. I came ultra close to booking another world exploration trip...

Many congratulations on clearing the HSTs, an incredible achievement for any of us. It took me years as it was, and I was much more regular on HSTs than you were. Mind you, I didn't have access to all the gen at the time, so I did it hardcore ;)

Bring on the festering at Reading, I'll be doing so for the last of the 165s and 166s personally then of course once the 387s get that far I'll be camping out for them too. Like yourself I'll be mostly doing my 345s in the core.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
Thanks for your comments Keith & Techni, no doubt a return to Reading will be had next year (or so) when the 800s (& 802s) are running around.

20th July – Freedom of the North West Trip, Day Minus 1

Now a bit of background to my FoNW trip, the vast majority of my remaining Northern stations to visit were based on the Cumbrian Coast (as I was saving the best for last ;)) with 5 left on the Tyne Valley (and Dalton on the Barrow line). As usual my plans which were made back in February time change but in the end if everything worked out I could clear the last of my Northern stations on the Monday, keeping the following Saturday spare as a “mop” up in case of delays or cancellations resulting in having to ditch stations.

Anyhow, the rough plan was a 4-day weekend, with the Friday being spent in the North East to have a good session on the Tyne & Wear Metro before heading over to the Border City early Saturday morning to start with the rover proper. I managed to pick up a reasonable priced advance ticket on the 08:03 Grand Central Sunderland HST from Kings Cross, which resulted in an overnight stay in London the night before, this time managing to get a cheap room in the Old Street Easy Hotel.

Due to having the last couple evenings out of the house chasing down 43s, I had a later start than normal, as I needed to do some bits and bobs, getting a lift to the station to catch the 18:59 Waterloo service, which is booked not as a 159, but a solo 158. I was happy when it was low mileage 158882 rolling in for the speedy run to Waterloo (spent listening/watching Barry Gibb’s performance at Glastonbury for some classic Bee Gees). Arrival was pretty much bang on time at around 20:19, and with Barbican in my sights (the hotel seems to be located mid-way between Barbican and Old Street stations), it was a walk down to the Northern Line platforms for 51726/51672 for the 34 chain move under the water to Embankment with 21483/21484 taking me the 72 chains to Blackfriars (every little helps).

You could probably guess what I was aiming for, and you would be correct in thinking it was 700s. I worked out I had roughly 6 chances of a winner heading northbound within the time limit (I was using my Oyster so had around 90 minutes to complete the journey). First service was a 12-coach 700, followed by a couple pairs of 377s, a required 700 was spotted heading south on a Sutton (grumbles), but my luck changed with required 700026 getting the usual tiny bus stop move down the hill to City Thameslink. A visit to the toilets as the next service was “formed of 12 coaches”, popping back onto the southbound platform for 700027 back up the hill to Blackfriars. A short fast walk across to the northbound platform as required 700022 rolled in to take me to Farringdon.

Considering the last time I went 700 hunting it took 45 minutes at Farringdon before my first required unit was spotted, to get 3 within 35 minutes was good going. I remained on 700022 to Farringdon, transferring over to the LU platform, turning down a metropolitan line service which was stuck due to a signal failure in the Mansion House area, eventually it got going as I jumped onto 21455/21456 for the 25 chain leap to Barbican on a Circle line service.

Swinging via the handy Tesco Express located outside Barbican station, it was a 5 minute walk to the Easy Hotel, where I got checked in for the night in a windowless room, no user controllable AC but unlike Croydon there wasn’t the noisy electric box to buzz away in the background. A reasonable sized room (see the picture) giving a decent night kip (until around 2am when some drunks arrived having an argument at who had the room keys).

Room at Easy Hotel Old Street by Kite, on Flickr

------

21st July – Freedom of the North West, Day 0

After the night in Old Street, it was an early morning walk to Barbican station picking up 21441/21442 working a circle line service to Farringdon, where I had some time to kill (hey if I’m paying £2.40 for a peak-time Z1 journey I might as well make the most of it). I positioned myself on the overbridge giving views of both Thameslink platforms, and views of the north/west bound LU platform just in case a required S7 happened to pop up.

I wasn’t hanging around for long before required 700028 took me to City Thameslink, leaping onto 700035 at the station back to Farringdon for a short wait, watching the masses of commuters emptying out, a couple dud services later and it was my last possible move, which was winner 700030 to St Pancras, passing what looked like to be plain clothes Thameslink RPIs, crossing over the road to Kings Cross, where I gained access to the platform from the Virgin gateline due to saying “Grand Central”.

This morning’s 08:03 was formed of 43484 leading 43480, I removed my seat reservation from a busy looking coach C (the great getaway started today, so full of families) to take a seat in coach A, the declassified First Class coach, just because I knew about it (looked like a couple genuine FC passengers got caught out by it as they walked forwards when the guard did a ticket check after departure, selling a couple tickets to Hartlepool. An enjoyable trip northbound, although once off the ECML the average speed collapsed, caught behind a stopping service on the coast line which meant some stops, but it made good time to arrive into the Cave of the North East, otherwise known as Sunderland.

I had previously asked for the location of my final 2 Northern 156s, sadly 463 was on the coast (but meant it could possibly fall for me later in the trip), but 480 was gettable as it was working Whitby services. Swinging via the ticket office to purchase a day return to Nunthorpe (and a Metro day ticket to save a job for later), before returning back underground to jump on sub-10 mile 142070, a Manchester exile with the original 3+2 bench seats. I managed to get the bay for the bouncy ride back down the coast, pausing at Middlesbrough where a passenger (who looked slightly drunk) ignored the announcements that this was a Nunthorpe train, not a Saltburn service, boarded (before moaning that he wanted the Saltburn service). Onto the single line section to Nunthorpe (where ironically this unit’s previous entry onto my log was from Middlesbrough to Nunthorpe back in October prior to my day on the Esk Valley), I was the only passenger remaining on board after James Cook.

At Nunthorpe I had roughly half an hour before the 156 from Whitby would arrive (annoyingly if it had been a regular weekday not during high summer, this unit would have returned to Newcastle on the final service, but during July/August it works a 5th trip to Whitby). Popping to the local shop for some lunch, taking up a seat as 142070 departed back to Hexham, the level crossing barriers came down and 156480 rolled in to take me to Middlesbrough. Another unit bites the dust, the original plan was to fester at Middlesbrough for around 45 minutes for the next Hexham service to take me back to Sunderland, but on studying RTT it seemed the next Grand Central service had lost around 10 minutes, which meant a connection at Eaglescliffe which would normally be a -1 had turned into a decent connection.

No idea if a Sunderland – Nunthorpe day return is valid via Eaglescliffe, but the guard on 142086 had no issue as it bounced into the island platform. A 156 on a Saltburn service seemed to depart a couple minutes early as I saw the headlights of a 180 waiting for the junction to clear, as 180114 rolled in to take me back along the coast in a bit of luxury (compared to a 142). Into Sunderland, where it was a bit chaotic as I believe this unit is meant to reverse back out of Sunderland to a siding near Park Grange junction, to head back into Sunderland to form the next London service (rather than going up the line to reverse around East Boldon). Anyhow it meant that the next Airport bound metro service got routed into the opposite platform and with the aim of getting to Gateshead to check in to drop off my clothes bag). Scoring a crossover to the north of Sunderland as I got lucky with required 4027 for the busy run to Gateshead, finding out it was a double win with required 4064 on the rear.

At the start of the trip I needed 14 of the T&W metro units, I know several were out of service (including long term out of use 4002), so my target was to get at least half, preferably to get under 5. My original plan was to head to South Gosforth to grab the units coming in from the depot on the peak-time services, avoiding the underground stations if possible. Anyhow after locating the guest house (Hotel Express), checking in to lose baggage it was back to Gateshead station, where due to the time of the day I ditched the plan to go north of the river. In traditional style I will post a summary of my moves over the next couple hours:

4070/4074 to Gateshead Stadium
4034/4084 to Felling (sorry but Chav capital of the North East)
4067/4059 to Heworth
4053/4050 to Felling
4040/4083 to Gateshead Stadium
4006/4011 to Felling
4015/4077 to Gateshead Stadium
4032/4031 to Gateshead
4046/4005 to Gateshead Stadium (mainly as a “get out of the underground” move)
4055/4014 to Felling
4033/4021 to Gateshead
4072/4056 to St James (via the Coast, grabbing the rear seat)
4056/4072 to Monument

Dinner was sourced in a Sainsburys local located just outside the gate line (which was wide open), my final move was 4037/4039 to Gateshead where I sourced some supplies from Tesco before walking back to the hotel for a relaxing night, with a good view of the river.

A productive session, knocking my requirements down to 3 units, long term out of service 4002, plus 4018 & 4043, neither of which I saw out and about (but I know they are short of units at the moment due to several breaking down), at the moment I have no idea when I will be back again in Newcastle to hunt them down. A decent night’s sleep apart from getting woken up in the early hours by some drunken people having an argument about something or another, but here are some pictures.

142070 at Nunthorpe by Kite, on Flickr
156480 at Middlesbrough by Kite, on Flickr
My view of the River Tyne from the Hotel Window by Kite, on Flickr
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
22nd July – Freedom of the North West, Day 1

The first day of my rover proper, and I woke up to find it raining, bahus humbuges, so my idea to save a bit of money by walking the 1.3 miles to Central station went up in smoke as I had a walk to Gateshead metro station, for a short wait before 4011/4049 took me across the river to Newcastle Central. I left the metro station and headed upstairs swinging via Sainsburys for a breakfast bacon sandwich and via the god awful VTEC TVMs to attempt to purchase a single to Hexham. A couple minutes later I managed to get said ticket from the god awful TVM interface, but that is a story for another day.

My service of choice was the first Carlisle train of the day, one which would normally continue to Glasgow but due to an engineering work blockade it was terminating at Carlisle, the good news is that it was 156462 for some early morning 156 action, sadly it was a stopping service which called at all stations apart from Dunston & Blaydon, but did mean I can add 4 more stations to my “called at” list (or as some people would say, visited). Anyhow it was a pleasant enough trip across the Tyne Valley, rolling into bay platform 6 at Carlisle, giving me roughly 25 minutes to visit Tesco to pick up items for lunch as I didn’t know what options would be available for me once on the coast.

The next Barrow service (I will call everything south as heading to Barrow, even if it continued to Lancaster), was formed of a Driving Brake Standard Open (required 9709), 3 Mk2 coaches and winner 37402, oh yeah loco action baby. Due to it being the DRS open day, the station was full of cameras watching the 37 slowly edge out before the driver opening up to take me onto the coast line heading southbound for the first time. The timetable for the Cumbrian Coast isn’t clockface, has random 2 hour gaps, so it took a while to plan my trip to avoid tight connections at request stops. My first stop was at Maryport, which is a bit of an oddity as it is a single platform set back from the main line on a loop.

Watching the 37 depart into the distance, it wasn’t a long wait until low mileage and busy 156460 rolled in to take me to my first request stop of the day at Aspatria. Nothing really of note, a handy footbridge at the Carlisle end, but due to the rain I didn’t travel that far, just looked at the Creamery located nearby. I flagged down another low mileage 156, this time 156479 for the trip to Workington, which is a busy station with various lines around, a couple central lines which have been disconnected at the Carlisle end, plus a nice little shop. It was over the footbridge to the other platform as I didn’t have long to wait before 37401 rolled into the station (DBSO 9707 on the rear), and after a false start took me to Filmby, which has short platforms.

A little shop is located outside the station, but when I was there the weather was so awful, the sea views weren’t promising (the station sits right on the coast, so on a sunny day would have been lovely), sadly the only bench on the Barrow platform was outside, leaving the little bus shelter seatless. It wasn’t the nicest of festers as I had 40 minutes, making use of the time by reading various newspapers I had in my bag. Eventually my fester was at an end with the re-appearance of 156460 to take me to the low level waste repository at Drigg.

Beware Drigg is a level crossing shack, although it is manual gates which are only opened to traffic when a vehicle is due and the manned signal box checks for trains, although you need to ask the signaller “is it safe to cross” if you want to use the pedestrian gates. A handy pub was spotted outside the station for those who like a little drink of the adult sort. I flagged down (although I believe the loco stops at every station anyway) the return of 37402 to take me back onto the single track section to pause at Corkickle. Which is on the single track section the other side of the Whitehaven tunnel, nothing much I could see around the station but I didn’t have look to look around before 9707 rolled in with 37401 giving it a good push. Only another 3 and a bit miles for 37401 back to the crossing point at St Bees. Beware it is another level crossing station but has a footbridge at the Carlisle end. A pleasant enough station with several nearby pubs, with the next Carlisle service making me jump as I saw it ending with a 3 (my last Northern 156 (463) reportedly finished the night at Barrow so it could have ended up on the coast), but alas it was 156483 for the 32 mile run back northbound along the coast to Wigton.

Where I purchased a very fine wig, when crossing the footbridge at the Barrow end, another tight connection here meant I didn’t have time to explore before 9709 reappeared with 37402 on the rear for another trip, this time to Seascale (in case you were wondering there is a 2 hour gap in southbound services). The sun had decided to come out to shine at a station next to the beach, a lovely place to send half an hour or so, but beware any station bashers, it is a good couple minute walk via a road underpass to get between platforms. The next Carlisle service rolled in as I made a note of the numbers thinking “that 153 rings a bell”, as I checked my list a large smile appeared as 153352 had finally fallen, appeared with super mileage 156469, my final 153 for haulage. A large smile on my face as I requested Harrington, sitting back to enjoy the trip for this line is very beautiful.

Harrington might ring a bell for the “Harrington Hump”, a raised section on the platform to make it roughly level boarding, as the platform is very low here. I waved goodbye to my final dogbox (little did I know it would go on to stalk me for the rest of the weekend), as it was a short wait before 156460 rolled in to take me to the seaside village of Parton. If I didn’t have my awkward bag I would have gone for a walk along the beach to reach Whitehaven, mainly as a time wasting move as I had an hour here (gap in timetable). Steep steps and a pedestrian underpass so beware of any tight connections, anyhow I spent the hour looking out to the sea, before returning with 156479 taking me to Whitehaven, the final service to depart Whitehaven heading South until Monday morning. I made use of my time to pop to Tesco for dinner, noting that the service from Newcastle had been cancelled which meant Dalston would have to wait until the following day (ironically when I returned to Carlisle this was meant to have been 156480!).

I heard the arrival of 37402 a good couple minutes before it arrived from the tunnel, quite busy with passengers heading home (as it was the final northbound service to arrive from south of Whitehaven), but emptied out on route back to Carlisle, where I had a short walk to check into the guest house, relaxing at the end of a productive day by looking out of the roof window at the sky. Here be some pictures

37402 departing Maryport by Kite, on Flickr
156460 departing Aspatria by Kite, on Flickr Aspatria Station by Kite, on Flickr
156479 departing Workington by Kite, on Flickr
37401 departing Flimby by Kite, on Flickr
DBSO 9707 at the rear of 37401 at Flimby by Kite, on Flickr
A wet Flimby by Kite, on Flickr
A wet Flimby by Kite, on Flickr
156460 at Drigg by Kite, on Flickr
Drigg Station by Kite, on Flickr
Drigg Station by Kite, on Flickr
37402 departing Corkickle by Kite, on Flickr
Corkickle Station by Kite, on Flickr
37401 at St Bees by Kite, on Flickr
37401 at St Bees by Kite, on Flickr
156483 departing Wigton by Kite, on Flickr
Wigton by Kite, on Flickr
Seascale by Kite, on Flickr
Seascale by Kite, on Flickr
Seascale Station by Kite, on Flickr
153352 at Harrington by Kite, on Flickr
156469 departing Harrington by Kite, on Flickr
Harrington Humps by Kite, on Flickr
Parton Station by Kite, on Flickr
Parton Station by Kite, on Flickr
The beach at Parton by Kite, on Flickr
The beach at Parton by Kite, on Flickr
156479 at Whitehaven by Kite, on Flickr
Whitehaven by Kite, on Flickr
37402 approaching Whitehaven by Kite, on Flickr
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
You were most unlucky with the weather for your adventures on the coast but well done on shacks and winners over both days, enjoyed both reports!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
What is so wrong with the VTEC TVMs? I've not yet had the pleasure (or otherwise!) of using them yet.

An exceptional performance on Metro, although all those short leaps would have bored the living daylights out of me. Nice work on the crossover at Sunderland, one that I need.

Did you get gen on that 153? If not that was one very lucky fall-onto with your last 153! Very familiar with the gap at Harrington, Blindtraveller will remember the big step off 150281 at Pembroke Dock and it's very similar if not worse should you be in the wrong part of the train for the hump! I could have used a step ladder to join the MK2s when I boarded a train there!

Harsh on the bad weather but loving the reporting of pubs. The days I spent doing Cumbrian shacks could be more fun than originally expected! Not that I'm planning to do so for a while, granted, but I'm making mental note of all these tips :)

As always an excellent read which helped fill my dull commute this morning, looking forward to the remainder as I know bits of what happened next and promises to be an excellent read as usual :)
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
That step at PMD is, from a sprinter at least, insane, not helped by the fact it was the last move of what felt like Hundreds of road, rail and foot ones that day so the mental sharpness to tackle it wasnt there in the same way it would have normally been. Would change it for anythihg though, I had a ball and really felt like Id achieved something that day!

For anyone looking at this in terms of their own plans my advice to you would be if traveling with a friend let them off first or get off first yourself and then whoever is already on the platform takes the luggage off you meaning that niether of you is hampered by bags etc. We used a variation of this when bording the HST on the following day and it worked wonders.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
Didn't ask for information on the whereabouts for that 153. That step at Harrington is nothing compared to the step I had on Monday at Braystones :)

The VTEC TVMs try too hard to be clever when it comes to walk up tickets, in getting you to selecting services and being a good 3 options to get to the "enter destination" screen for anything not showing on the front screens.

BT - At least the weather did improve later on in the day :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top