9th June A Prelude to a tour
Warning, this trip report features tales of Voyager action, and may contain peanuts
I was booked onto The Lancs & Yorks Builder Railtour on the Saturday, which involved an early start from Birmingham (tour started from Gloucester which is a bit far for me to drive), which meant heading up towards Birmingham for the Friday night, although with neither of my needs floating around I had several options at what to do. As I was heading back from Stockport on the Saturday it made more sense to start from London on the Friday, and a Virgin seat sale was timed right to pick up a £5 single ticket to Coventry on the 18:23 service.
For the first time in a few weeks I walked to Grateley station, noting a new caution narrow platform sign on the side of the footbridge and that the waiting shelters had turned grey [something for me to check later this week as it might be just an undercoat] as I had a short wait before 159011 & 159103 rolled in (and there was me thinking this service would now have a 158 attached to it for the return from London). Anyhow I bailed at Basingstoke, heading over to platform 5 to board 166214 which had just rolled in, taking a seat in the 1st class section (and why not, GWR services on this line are standard class only) for a nice run to Reading where I had around 5 or 6 attempts at a winning 43 for a run to Paddington.
Lady luck wasnt on my side at randomly producing any of my final 6x 43s, so it was onto option 6, with a low mileage 43145 leading a high mileage 43124 for the run to Paddington, time spent looking out of the window at the process of the wiring, spotting several new 387s which are a job for another day. Once at Paddington I headed over towards P15-P16 with the sound of a S7 departing towards Barking. Next Hammersmith was dud but the Shinto God of Bashings luck had returned as the next Circle line was winner
21389/21390 which took me down to only 3 more S7s to get. To Euston Square where a slow walk took me to Euston where swinging via Sainsburys for a meal-deal, before doing the usual monitoring of RTT for platform numbers.
The 18:23 Shrewsbury & Wolverhampton was meant to go into P9, but got swapped over to P2, and unusually there was no Virgin Staff by the bottom of the ramp checking tickets as I headed over to the pair of units sat idling away, high mileage 221104 was leading low mileage 221142 as I took up my reserved seat in coach K (also known as coach D), which is the nice coach with mostly tables which lined up with the large windows. A few minutes delay departing Euston caused by waiting for another service to depart first, as the 221s roared into life, and for the first ever time on a Virgin service heading northbound I called at Watford Junction, before running nonstop to Coventry. The train manager checked tickets pretty much straight away on this lightly loaded peak time service.
Arrival into Coventry was a few minutes late, but I popped out via the open ticket barriers to purchase my Daytripper from the ticket office before heading back. My last 390 was on a fast Glasgow service so that was out of the question, so allowing a familiar & busy looking 350 depart towards New Street (105), I waited for the next Virgin service which carried on to Crewe. A low mileage 390129 rolled in, and I managed to get a table seat in coach B for the painfully slow run towards New Street, before carrying on towards Wolverhampton on another slow run (caught behind stoppers both times). For the lack of a better idea I headed out of the station for the walk towards the tram stop, in an attempt to locate it without using my phone maps, as I had never been on a tram departing Wolverhampton and with the coming closure for track replacements for 6 months it was probably a good time to do it.
Noting that platform 1 had been removed and replaced by a coach stop, with platform 2 being the only one in use:
A few minutes later (for it was the time of night where the Midland Metro is every 15 minutes), it was my old foe, tram 28, as I took an uncomfortable seat for the 40 minute run back towards Birmingham, noting just how fast the tram gets up to on the former GWR route, I decided to bail at Corporation Street and walk towards the Birmingham Central branch of Travelodge, the one pretty much outside Moor Street and above a little Tesco Express. Reason for selecting this hotel was solely down to price and needing to be in the city centre for an early start in the morning, so after a slight farce with the room key not working in the door lock, I dropped off some weight before heading back out.
With some time to kill, I headed to Moor Street for a quick Snow Hill leap on a Kidderminster bound 168106, connecting with a Banbury bound 172103/172101 back to Moor Street, mainly as I hadnt had a Chiltern 172 for 18 or so months and wanted a quick reminder how basic the interior is compared to a 168, but at least it seems they now have Wi-Fi fitted. I noticed that it seems 172101 has hit something with a large hole in the bumper (or whatever that part is called):
A gentle walk over to New Street, where I jumped onto 350239 for the semi-fast run to Coventry, where I probably sourced a micro-grice as it terminated into platform 4, as I headed over to platform 3 to await the Voyager from Reading, which I had been tracking with the good news that it did the first PSUL over Didcot West Curve so I had my hopes up when a quiet 220027 rolled in (got a bit more busier at Birmingham International). I must admit I didnt catch the part where the 220 turned right after Stechford until we went past Aston.
New track scoring time as the 220 turned left after Perry Barr to cover the curve from Perry Barr South to Perry Barr West junctions to knock another required PSUL move from my list (which I believe leaves me with just 2 more to go, Retford High Level towards Sheffield via the flyover & Wrexham General P3 towards the Bidston line, unless Im forgetting about one). Anyhow arrival into New Street was around midnight, so it was a gentle walk back to the hotel for an average night sleep, not as good as it could have been due to being opposite some AC units of a building next door, so had a low hum).
Anyhow, one more small bit of track covered, another S7 into my book and a good run on the tram, a decent evening.
10th June The Lancs & Yorks Builder Tour
My alarm went off for around 6:15, giving me a decent 45 minutes for a quick shower and the chance to pop via Tesco for some breakfast and lunch for later as it would be a long day on some awful Mk1 coaches (sorry, Im not the worlds greatest fan of these coaches with the bench seating as it hurts my back, even with my cushion). The trip today was a gentle meander across Lancaster pausing to visit the Clitheroe cement works, before heading towards Yorkshire via Hellifield and to the Hunslet East branch.
I was surprised that the barriers were in operation at 06:50 on a Saturday morning at New Street, as I headed down to take in some fresh air as winner
66057 rolled in with the usual Riviera coaches, coach B was near the rear and thankfully for a change I got a window seat on a regular bench (not one of the narrow ones near the doors or the centre)
On departure from New Street, the tour turned right at Soho to pause for a moment in the
Perry Barr Down Goods Loop, before carrying on via Bescot Stadium, turning left to head towards Wolverhampton, pausing for a few minutes before Bushbury Junction before rejoining the main-line. Nothing of note towards Stafford, taking the slow lines towards Crewe, pausing into P12 where a pair of Colas 37s were spotted idling away, I spotted my first 345 just south of Crewe (345001), looks quite smart but needs a good wash. At Crewe another 66 was attached onto the rear before continuing heading northbound, sticking to the mainline all the way towards Farrington Junction, south of Preston, as the train turned right towards the East Lancashire Line.
The train paused for around 10 minutes in the
Bamber Bridge Eng Rec Siding, allowing the passengers to note that the other sidings in this area are heavily overgrown and OOU, and also for a driver change. Departing the goods loop, it was nonstop via Blackburn, turning left onto the Ribble Valley Line for a route of rediscovery, pausing after Clitheroe, as due to the track layout you can only access the branch towards Horrocksford/Clitheroe Castle Cement from the other line. Winner
66176 fired up to haul the train back over the crossover used by the Northern services, and back towards Clitheroe station. 66057 was back in charge to turn left to head towards the
Clitheroe Castle Cement, being the first passenger train to cross over the level crossing and into the works themselves, getting very nearly to the end of the line.
66176 was back in charge as after a short rest the train returned to the main-line, with 66057 once more in charge to carry on heading north over the mainly freight only section with the limited Sunday passenger service. Quite a pretty section of the network going through some very rural areas and brushing against some line side vegetation, not the fastest section of track and the rain did attempt to put a damper on the mood as the train rolled towards Hellifield to reverse in the
Hellifield Goods Loop to the south of the station.
I was going forward once more with 66176 in charge for the very pretty run towards Leeds, going via platform 3 at Skipton without stopping, and having a decent run on the electrified section of the Airedale Line, running non-stop until a brief pause in the
Kirkstall Up Loop before carrying on to take the
through line at Leeds station, sadly we did stop briefly for a TPE to depart in front before the train continued heading east turning right into the
Neville Hill Up Sidings, opposite the depot and some parts appeared to be very overgrown with some old coal wagons rusting away. I believe the 66 made it to the end of the line on one of the sidings before reversing once more to go towards the Hanson works on the
Hunslet East branch line, once more reaching nearly to the end of the line, the buffer stops hidden behind some bushes.
Back towards Neville Hill, where I think the train took the other siding, before a final reversal with 66057 in charge for the short run to Leeds, where unusually for a Pathfinder Tour we had a 2 hour break, which was nice as it allowed the passengers some fresh air and the chance for a nice walk. I had news that my final Northern 158 was on Leeds Huddersfield stoppers today so ditching the idea of heading to Huddersfield on grounds of cost, I had a brief look around the city, attempt to and failed to buy a day return to Batley from the Virgin TVMs (purchased it from a Northern TVM in double quick time). Thanks for MCSHF007 for giving me the Gen, and for 185143 for confirming that the 158 worked the previous Huddersfield stopper (just in case the unit had drifted off diagram and ended up on Nottingham or Manchester Victoria).
Anyhow it was to Batley on a very vocal 144019, making a lovely noise via the Morley Tunnel, as I crossed over to the other platform, with my fingers crossed as 5 minutes later the sight of a 158 was spotted and I was in luck as
158796 rolled in. Yippee, only leaves Scottish 158707 left to clear the class (which knowing my luck will be hiding in Inverness the next time Im in Scotland). Not the best picture, but it saves me a job for next month when in Sheffield, only 3 more Northern DMUs remain
I popped out to Boots to grab some food before meeting up with 185143 for a brief chat about stuff before he leapt onto a required Carlisle bound 158 as I headed over to take a picture of the tour locos returning from the depot after being serviced before taking up my seat for the return journey back across the hills to Greater Manchester
Departure was on time and with a pause around the Engine Shed Junction to allow a Nottingham bound 158 go in front, before we continued towards Wakefield Kirkgate, going via the
Goods Loop just before the station, sadly a 155 was in the centre track so that wasnt covered, before continuing passing the remains of the Healey Mills marshalling yard, and going some speed joining the main line (I was expecting for us to stop and get looped at Marsden), going non-stop via Huddersfield and starting the climb towards Standedge Tunnel, and via the tunnel to reach the other side of the country. I believe the train took in platform 1 at Stalybridge before turning left towards Guide Bridge, joining that line for a short section before heading left towards Denton International, pausing for a good 10 minutes waiting for right time to join the main line (I think we went via the goods loop here as well).
I bailed at Stockport, mainly on grounds that the tour would continue back to Crewe and slowly make its way back towards Gloucester so I wasnt missing out on anything and also because bailing at Stockport gave me a nice +62 cushion onto the final Manchester Euston service of the evening. With nothing better to do I popped to McDonalds for some dinner before returning to waste some time on Stockport station, making use of the free station Wi-Fi before 390008 rolled in from Manchester. Surprisingly I didnt have to kick a Stoke passenger out of my reserved seat, as coach C was quite quiet as I took up my favourite seat (C9 with the window sill for an armrest) to settle down for a speedy run to London.
Arrival was around 15 minutes early, due to the fast lines being open tonight, which gave me plenty of time to get across to Waterloo, sadly I didnt feel like festering at Euston to see if any of my last few 95 stock units would pop up as I jumped on the first (51511/51512) for the run to Waterloo, exiting to the main concourse to await the arrival of the train from Exeter which would form the 23:40. It was running late due to congestion caused by earlier delays (main-line side of Waterloo was closed so everything was on the Windsor Side).
The 23:40 tonight was unusually formed of a pair of units (not sure if this was simply down to the fact that control decided to keep both units together at Salisbury due to the late running) with 159005 leading long-term absence (May 16 was the last time I had her) 159105, I noted that the 23:35 Southampton service departed looking rather full, as did the 159s get after departing Clapham Junction, until Basingstoke where the train emptied out quite well. Running around 10 minutes late, it was a speedy run back to Grateley allowing me to walk home, reflecting on a good day.
A few more red lines covered in my atlas, a few more minor goods loops in my Quails, another couple 66s into the book, plus my last Northern 158. I dont think I will be returning to Leeds in a hurry as sadly I dont need that much anymore which operates, only a single 153 which can operate in many places across the Northern Network.
Thanks for reading and yes, it looks like you've made it to the end