• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
I tend not to read the Trip Reports section on the forum, but I have enjoyed this immensely. The Far North Line isn't my local line, but it's so close to where I live that I feel rather embarrassed that I haven't covered it so far.

It's about time I got myself a Rover ticket!

Glad you are enjoying it :)

Shameful you haven't visited a local line, might I suggest go to Wick by train and try and time it to come back towards Inverness on that X99 coach, just to see a different part :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Far North, Conkered! Well done. Few funny looks from crewmembers there it would seam too.
With all the various holdups you should get at least 3 or maybe 4 lots of delay repay there over the several days so make sure and get it in, you will get the approximate value of that ticket to Dyce back at least!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
Far North, Conkered! Well done. Few funny looks from crewmembers there it would seam too.
With all the various holdups you should get at least 3 or maybe 4 lots of delay repay there over the several days so make sure and get it in, you will get the approximate value of that ticket to Dyce back at least!

RTVs arrived this morning :)

IIRC it was around £40 I got back from the various delays
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
I hate many aspects of Scotfail but its delay claims arm is defo up to the job, no suggestion of toy railway there!
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
This has been such a good read and some of the photos are stunning.
Thanks for taking the time to write it all out as it's much appreciated.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
I had truely forgotten how beautiful the Far North is, wow I wish I had been able to join you after all. Well, except for some evil walks!

Many, many congratulations on clearing the Far North shacks. You sure chose the best week to go, although I don't envy your sunburn. Mine I got on the Cambrian, which as you noted at the time was slightly odd in that we were both 158 bashing in rural areas on the same day, thankfully went away two days later.

Nice work on the RTVs too, that'll help towards your next Gold Card season I suspect.

I am immensely jealous, in case it's not at all obvious. I'm also jealous that I need 660 more shacks than you do, but in fairness I've always had that as a goal I'm happy with if it takes an entire lifetime to achieve. Once the HSTs head north to Scotland, I'll be much more inclined to get up there!

Bring on the final instalments of your trip report, which I have thoroughly enjoyed reading, perhaps more so than some other trips.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,755
Location
Up North
What a gorgeous part of the country.

I'm yet to venture north of Inverness by train though your adventures have perhaps inspired me to spend a day doing something like the Kyle Line or Aberdeen to Inverness this summer.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
The pictures of a wet Dunkeld are now up :)

Richard, I would recommend a visit, it will take you a couple days based in Inverness, but you would enjoy it. Sit back and allow the 158 to go clackly clack (or whatever the proper name for that sound is) over the lovely jointed rail

28th May – Fields of Thistles - Day 9 – The Epilogue

My original plan for this day was going to be head back home on the HST, maybe splitting my journey up in Edinburgh, however when playing with RTT I noticed that the sleeper was getting diverted via the ECML, and I smelt required track, mainly the connection from the ECML towards the NLL around Camden, and the NLL towards the WCML around Willesden Junction (as well as into the Wembley depot area).

I had breakfast in the guest house, checked out and relaxed before heading to the station for the Kyle of Loshalsh train, which I was on advance tickets for (on the grounds of sometimes these trains can get busy with coach groups doing one-way trips). Annoyingly it was unrefurbished 158725 getting the mega miles today, but I got a seat in the first class area, mainly for a plug socket. I decided I would try and sit on the left hand side both directions as a line rediscovery.

I had forgotten how beautiful the Kyle line is, crossing over mountain wilderness, into forests and alongside lochs, this line has many things, out of the request stops I believe only Duirinish had someone boarding (and on the way back, none of the request stops were stopped at). The 158 arrived pretty much bang on time, giving me roughly 80 minutes, with one eye on the sky just in case the rain decided to return, so via Co-Op before relaxing sitting on a bench overlooking the water separating the main-land from Skye, it was relaxing but soon time was up as I headed back to the station with my bag in tow.


It was back onto 158725 for the run back to Inverness, a lightly loaded service, back over a wonderful line (I highly recommend it) and to Inverness where we rolled into platform 7, meaning a long walk back to the concourse, with a couple hours to kill before the sleeper would be departing I headed to a nearby Morrisons (no Sunday trading laws restricting shops to be open for 6 hours a day here) to pick up a pasta meal-deal before heading to sit and relax overlooking the river, just to pass the time away.

Tonight’s sleeper would be getting hauled by dud 67007 (annoyingly it replaced a required 67 which had been on the sleeper earlier in the week but hey ho), one of the 67s fitted with cast iron brakes when it was previously on the sleeper before the 73s took over (and is the temporary replacement loco due to an incident at the depot where a Mk3 coach got introduced to a 73), noting that the sign on the side of Inverness depot (on the right hand side in the picture below) still had a First Group “F” on it. You could be confused at thinking this picture was taken a couple years ago!



Anyhow, I located my seat in the seated carriage, I was unlucky to get the bay of 3 seats by the worlds slowest opening door, but lucky enough as both seats opposite were unreserved (extra legroom when I put my coat on the seat to allow me to put my legs up after lights out). At a guess the seated coach was around half loaded, a brilliant train manager checking passengers in, but sadly a couple sat opposite couldn’t work out how curtains worked.

A nice uneventful run up the Highland Main Line (so much more peaceful than on a DMU), 67007 never missing a beat, as I headed to sleep (or attempted to) around Perth, to awake at Edinburgh for the shunting movement with dud 92014 getting attached to run us up the ECML, pausing at Newcastle (where I was woken up by the sound of some alarm going off in the Aberdeen portion), taking the main-line outside Darlington and going nonstop through York. Most of the carriage were awake by Potters Bar, and some were getting ready to alight after passing Finsbury Park (which if we were heading into Kings Cross would be a wise thing to do, but we still had around 90 minutes to run towards Euston).

First bit of new track was the single track from Copenhagen Junction towards Camden Road Incline Junction, passing the various bits of tracks put in connecting HS1 to the rest of the network which look super rusty. Thankfully we were early and with a reduced frequency on the NLL it was a slow and steady run passing Kensal Rise before turning right to head north on the WCML, the low level platforms of Willesden Junction visible, before heading towards the Wembley European Freight Operations Centre, passing many old wagons rusting away in Brent sidings, where winner 92033 was attached to the rear of the 16 carriages for the haul back into Euston, going under a flyover (I think it be the one mainly used by Southern services when they operate from the WLL to the WCML), having a pause near the Freightliner place before joining the main-line for the final run into Euston, arriving a massive 53 minutes early!



Which nicely leads me into:

29th May – Yaring it

With being in London with my bag, it meant my options were a bit more limited, and I didn’t fancy heading straight home, so instead had a nice short walk via the backstreet to St Pancras, and then onto Kings Cross, picking up my tickets to Cambridge and a Cambridge – Great Yarmouth day return. I was surprised as the gates at the main Kings Cross were closed (what on a bank holiday Monday?!), but I soon was heading towards the 09:46 (or so) Kings Lynn service, which was formed of a trio of 387s.

387122 was leading (and would be continuing to Kings Lynn) with 387121 & 387120 bringing up the rear, first time for me on the 387s since moving across to Great Northern as I sat in the leading coach of low mileage 387121 for the non-stop run to Cambridge. Surprise number 2 was a RPI check (or “passenger host” as Great Northern now call them, whose lives I would imagine have gotten easier to check tickets now GN have stock with gangways).

At Cambridge I alighted for a short wait before the next service came which called at Cambridge North (and terminated there), as a pair of 379s rolled in with 379012 & 379015 getting the honours for me to visit the newly opened shack at Cambridge North, with a bit of delay as the driver had to set the doors to manual mode to get them to release. An impressive station building (with lots of holes), although the only shelter on the platforms were around the bridge level, so I would imagine on wet days the commuters would crowd round to board the trains at the front.


With Greater Anglia & GTR re-cleared for shacks, it was a short wait before some happy trains rolled in on an Ely terminator, 365522 & 365533 where I just missed an EMT to Norwich due to the 365s going into platform 1 vice platform 3 (normally goes into platform 3 to clear the main-line), which was annoying as it meant a short wait before a refurbished 170208 would roll in to take me to Norwich. A good job I would say on the interiors, no more mis-match of colours with plug sockets at every seat.

The 170 was a couple minutes late into Norwich and I wasn’t the only passenger crossing over to board the Great Yarmouth service, which was being hauled by dud 37405 with an unknown loco on the rear. A moderately busy service with families, but it was an enjoyable run to the seaside at Great Yarmouth, where I had time to take some pictures before heading back onto the train, picking the 2nd carriage due to the leading carriage being full of Veg (and with a potentially tight connection at Norwich I didn’t want to get caught up exiting the train). I was pleased as winner 37419 was leading the train back to Norwich:



I couldn’t help noticing that the set contains a Driving Mk2 coach, makes me wonder if DRS will be going down the same route as on the Cumbrian Coast with only one 37 on the loco hauled services. Anyhow once at Norwich I had time for one final picture of the 37 before heading across to board a busy EMT service:


A busy 158858 was taking me back to Ely (hardly any luggage space on the EMT 158s with bags everywhere as people were heading home after a long weekend/half term), and I was happy to bail onto 387120 & 387117 at Ely for a Cambridge fast service, sitting at the front in the little “secret” area between the cab and 1st class, sadly my peace didn’t last for long as the 387s called at platform 4 at Cambridge (which meant my small area getting rammed with normals unable to walk further than the closest door)

Back into Kings Cross, and it was to St Pancras for some 319 based action (the next Brighton was running a couple minutes late and was showing up as “formed of 12 carriages”, with a cosy 319437 working a Sutton service rolled in to give me some 319 motor noise to Blackfriars. 21421/21422 took me the 72 chains westwards to Embankment as I rolled onto 51675/51676 to Waterloo, with some time before boarding the next Salisbury service, which was a busy 159013 to take me back home, to catch up on with my post, unpack the bag (making a start with the washing) and bin various bits of bobs acquired over the week.

In summary a very productive week away, I’ve done everything I wanted (apart from not capturing 158707 again), all my remaining stations to visit in Scotland are now on the West Highlands Line which is pencilled in for September to crack out. Thank you for reading :)
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
That must have been a relief to get home after all that travelling, what a week that was!

Can't wait to visit the Far North again myself now!
 
Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
A pleasure as always Mr Kite.

Yes I dont think the new sleaper stock is any good at all and should never have been ordered :lol: :lol:

nice to hear AGA have made a good job with the 170 refurbs, given that I am told they went prity before.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
Very interesting and with a nice little 37 bash at the end (also worth noting that 37419 used to be Inverness based and a regular Far North loco).
Thanks for sharing it all Kite. It must've taken quite a while to write it all up.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
A look back for May

The month started off as April finished, making use of the bank holiday Monday to make a start with the Pembroke Dock line shacks, managing to get them all apart from Narberth which I left due to not feeling like a fast walk.

The following week was another trip to Wales, this time having a FOSS to change my route taken, ending up in Cardiff after going via Swindon, Bristol Parkway & Cheltenham Spa, scoring a power-car before another cheap & cheerful dorm room before an early start on the Saturday, where basically I cleared the remains of West Wales, another part done in my quest to visit every station* in GB (mainline only compared to all those heritage lines which will probably start getting done next year).

The Sunday was spent on a voyage of rediscovery, doing the line towards Weymouth from Southampton, before heading along the Heart of Wessex to Westbury (scoring another 43 by pure luck), before heading back towards Taunton then onto Cheltenham Spa via a XC HST which went via Swindon due to the line around Filton Abbey Wood being closed. After Cheltenham it was back home towards Salisbury via Swindon, the end of a weekend of rediscovery (which sadly due to the price hike of the FOSS something I probably won’t be doing again in a while).

A quick Friday spin on the 12th May scored me a revisit to Avoncliff to bring back memories of days of old when my family had a narrowboat and the pub at Avoncliff was a good visit. Also I got in the temporary formation of 150916 into my book, leaving me with just 150120 to clear the class, with maybe 150126 if it returns to traffic as 126 rather than 926.

Anyhow the following Saturday was a mad trip to Manchester for some unit/tram hunting, managing to score my final Northern 150 plus 2nd last Northern 158, sadly I was bowled out by a set swap when I hunted down my final 153 with a trip to Leeds, but I covered the new 2nd City Crossing and got another tram into my book, with a random day trip to the Isle of Wight on the Sunday, getting a required boat and a 483 into the book (always a bonus), but a relaxing Sunday before my big trip of the month to Scotland.

After a couple lines of rediscovery on the Friday, it was to Carlisle on the sleeper to grab my last two towards Dumfries before heading to Glasgow to score my final 380. My final Fife station was scored before making a start on the Perth – Aberdeen line with some of the once a day shacks, returning to the area on the Sunday and also on the Monday. Although on that Monday I also had a little trip in the morning to score the 2x Scottish 68s, a couple more Glasgow subway cars and a trio of shacks on the Highland Main Line before doing the PSUL move over Glenthrothes north curve in the evening.

The remainder of the Highland Main Line fell on the Tuesday, with the rest of the week spent on the Far North line with a detour towards Aberdeenshire to clear the remaining quad of shacks on that line. Sunday was spent with a day trip to Kyle of Lochalsh before heading back to London on the sleeper going via the ECML for some new track in London, before heading to Great Yarmouth on the bank holiday to score Cambridge North and also another 37.

Anyhow the month in summary, a productive month clearing my system with the beautifulness of Scotland, which after some hard time at work I needed to clear my head of negative feelings. Looking ahead at June sees a quiet month as it stands, with an overnight stay in Birmingham next Friday (9th) where I’m hoping to get that XC service which goes via Perry Barr South curve, and probably a random time wasting move on the tram [unless 390128 is due to make an appearance]. The Lancs & Yorks Builder tour is on the Saturday with probably a lazy day on the Sunday due to a late finish.

The following week is a shack scoring mission to Wales, before a trip of rediscovery on the Sunday, with another shack scoring mission the following week to Lancaster to make a start at the southern end of the Cumbrian Coast after hopefully clearing North Yorkshire.

May in figures

6620 miles covered, putting me at 22660 miles for the year to date
62 new shacks
7 new units (2x 150, 2x 158s, 1x 380, 1x 483x 1x 700)
7 new locos (1x 37, 2x 43, 2x 68, 2x 92)
2 new trams and 2 new Glasgow Subway cars (I hardly touched LU this month)
Several new buses (and a new boat)!

-------------

A quick mention for this weekend, I’ve been having a relaxing & recovering weekend, although yesterday was spent heading to Longleat in Wiltshire where I ‘scored’ both the track of the little railway line plus locomotive (if you could call it that) number 7 “Flynn”
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
I'm glad to see some cats apprising - congrats on getting spotty and dotty :)

Shame the first day in the far north didn't go to plan but it sounds like a good time was had anyway. Congrats on clearing the far north in the end!

Well done on getting Cambridge North too and it sounds like a good time was had in Anglia!
 

woodhouse122

Member
Joined
9 Aug 2011
Messages
223
great reading about your far north travels,gonna be going north myself in july on a spirit of scotlamd rover (sleeper from euston to inverness and travelodge in glasgow booked for the week :) )
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
That was a great read Kite. Clearing all those shacks required some effort, well done! Sounded like you had a great time even with those delays! Well done on clearing the 380s too!
 

37038

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2014
Messages
701
In reference to you wondering about the appearance of the DBSO on the short set..... The usual brake is away for exam and DRS didn't have any spares to hand other than a spare DBSO up at Kingmoor. It looks odd but when contained within the set it does the same job as a BSO. It'll revert back before long.

Because this is a well read thread and I'm on the subject, red pens and Anglian rovers at the ready as 37716 is having DRA fitted to work on the short set. With 409 now retired and on decision, 407 still at Derby, 424 not the best and 402 on repair they need to spread the fleet. Especially seeing as only 1x 37/4 is needed to heat the short set.
Dud for me but may have to visit for a service train tick having had it in pres and on a railtour!

Strange all this talk of the Far North! I was there on Saturday! Not to boast but waking up on a steam heated train with 37421 and 37025 blatting away on the front may trump 158 action ;)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
In reference to you wondering about the appearance of the DBSO on the short set..... The usual brake is away for exam and DRS didn't have any spares to hand other than a spare DBSO up at Kingmoor. It looks odd but when contained within the set it does the same job as a BSO. It'll revert back before long.

Because this is a well read thread and I'm on the subject, red pens and Anglian rovers at the ready as 37716 is having DRA fitted to work on the short set. With 409 now retired and on decision, 407 still at Derby, 424 not the best and 402 on repair they need to spread the fleet. Especially seeing as only 1x 37/4 is needed to heat the short set.
Dud for me but may have to visit for a service train tick having had it in pres and on a railtour!

Strange all this talk of the Far North! I was there on Saturday! Not to boast but waking up on a steam heated train with 37421 and 37025 blatting away on the front may trump 158 action ;)

Although I dare say your 37 haulage was probably busier than any of the 158s I had, and probably with the multiple stops along the route for level crossings a good bit of noise.

---

Noddy, thanks for your comment, it was nice and relaxing laying on grassy banks in the wilderness and in the end my delays weren't really that bad (it's a single track line with limited passing points so delays don't really go away). Getting 380013 was a bonus, especially since the last couple times I've seen the unit, she hasn't been gettable [running the Ayr fasts]
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
great reading about your far north travels,gonna be going north myself in july on a spirit of scotlamd rover (sleeper from euston to inverness and travelodge in glasgow booked for the week :) )

One thing I did notice on my travels was a number of other passengers using Spirit of Scotland Rovers. Scotrail can't be faulted with lack of promotion.

Hopefully the trains will be running to time when you head up, I assume as you mentioned the sleeper you will be using the 2nd Northbound service and returning on the 4th Southbound, which gives a tight connection to that last Glasgow service
 

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
Very interesting as always.
I took a particularly keen interest in the Kyle line bit as Mrs 13 and I are having a holiday in Duirinish this September.
There'll be some shack scratching going on :)
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,727
Location
West Riding
I've only just caught up with your trip, and wow what an epic one it was. I'm very jealous and you've got me trying to work out how best to cover the Far North Line myself in the next 12 months now. Also jealous of your 92 haulage which I still need.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
9th June – A Prelude to a tour

Warning, this trip report features tales of Voyager action, and may contain peanuts ;)

I was booked onto “The Lancs & Yorks Builder” Railtour on the Saturday, which involved an early start from Birmingham (tour started from Gloucester which is a bit far for me to drive), which meant heading up towards Birmingham for the Friday night, although with neither of my needs floating around I had several options at what to do. As I was heading back from Stockport on the Saturday it made more sense to start from London on the Friday, and a Virgin seat sale was timed right to pick up a £5 single ticket to Coventry on the 18:23 service.

For the first time in a few weeks I walked to Grateley station, noting a new “caution narrow platform” sign on the side of the footbridge and that the waiting shelters had turned grey [something for me to check later this week as it might be just an undercoat] as I had a short wait before 159011 & 159103 rolled in (and there was me thinking this service would now have a 158 attached to it for the return from London). Anyhow I bailed at Basingstoke, heading over to platform 5 to board 166214 which had just rolled in, taking a seat in the 1st class section (and why not, GWR services on this line are standard class only) for a nice run to Reading where I had around 5 or 6 attempts at a winning 43 for a run to Paddington.

Lady luck wasn’t on my side at randomly producing any of my final 6x 43s, so it was onto option 6, with a low mileage 43145 leading a high mileage 43124 for the run to Paddington, time spent looking out of the window at the process of the wiring, spotting several new 387s which are a job for another day. Once at Paddington I headed over towards P15-P16 with the sound of a S7 departing towards Barking. Next Hammersmith was dud but the Shinto God of Bashing’s luck had returned as the next Circle line was winner 21389/21390 which took me down to only 3 more S7s to get. To Euston Square where a slow walk took me to Euston where swinging via Sainsburys for a meal-deal, before doing the usual monitoring of RTT for platform numbers.

The 18:23 Shrewsbury & Wolverhampton was meant to go into P9, but got swapped over to P2, and unusually there was no Virgin Staff by the bottom of the ramp checking tickets as I headed over to the pair of units sat idling away, high mileage 221104 was leading low mileage 221142 as I took up my reserved seat in coach K (also known as coach D), which is the nice coach with mostly tables which lined up with the large windows. A few minutes delay departing Euston caused by waiting for another service to depart first, as the 221s roared into life, and for the first ever time on a Virgin service heading northbound I called at Watford Junction, before running nonstop to Coventry. The train manager checked tickets pretty much straight away on this lightly loaded ‘peak’ time service.

Arrival into Coventry was a few minutes late, but I popped out via the open ticket barriers to purchase my Daytripper from the ticket office before heading back. My last 390 was on a fast Glasgow service so that was out of the question, so allowing a familiar & busy looking 350 depart towards New Street (105), I waited for the next Virgin service which carried on to Crewe. A low mileage 390129 rolled in, and I managed to get a table seat in coach B for the painfully slow run towards New Street, before carrying on towards Wolverhampton on another slow run (caught behind stoppers both times). For the lack of a better idea I headed out of the station for the walk towards the tram stop, in an attempt to locate it without using my phone maps, as I had never been on a tram departing Wolverhampton and with the coming closure for track replacements for 6 months it was probably a good time to do it.

Noting that platform 1 had been removed and replaced by a coach stop, with platform 2 being the only one in use:


A few minutes later (for it was the time of night where the Midland Metro is every 15 minutes), it was my old foe, tram 28, as I took an uncomfortable seat for the 40 minute run back towards Birmingham, noting just how fast the tram gets up to on the former GWR route, I decided to bail at Corporation Street and walk towards the “Birmingham Central” branch of Travelodge, the one pretty much outside Moor Street and above a little Tesco Express. Reason for selecting this hotel was solely down to price and needing to be in the city centre for an early start in the morning, so after a slight farce with the room key not working in the door lock, I dropped off some weight before heading back out.

With some time to kill, I headed to Moor Street for a quick Snow Hill leap on a Kidderminster bound 168106, connecting with a Banbury bound 172103/172101 back to Moor Street, mainly as I hadn’t had a Chiltern 172 for 18 or so months and wanted a quick reminder how basic the interior is compared to a 168, but at least it seems they now have Wi-Fi fitted. I noticed that it seems 172101 has hit something with a large hole in the bumper (or whatever that part is called):


A gentle walk over to New Street, where I jumped onto 350239 for the semi-fast run to Coventry, where I probably sourced a micro-grice as it terminated into platform 4, as I headed over to platform 3 to await the Voyager from Reading, which I had been tracking with the good news that it did the first PSUL over Didcot West Curve so I had my hopes up when a quiet 220027 rolled in (got a bit more busier at Birmingham International). I must admit I didn’t catch the part where the 220 turned right after Stechford until we went past Aston.

New track scoring time as the 220 turned left after Perry Barr to cover the curve from Perry Barr South to Perry Barr West junctions to knock another required PSUL move from my list (which I believe leaves me with just 2 more to go, Retford High Level towards Sheffield via the flyover & Wrexham General P3 towards the Bidston line, unless I’m forgetting about one). Anyhow arrival into New Street was around midnight, so it was a gentle walk back to the hotel for an average night sleep, not as good as it could have been due to being opposite some AC units of a building next door, so had a low hum).

Anyhow, one more small bit of track covered, another S7 into my book and a good run on the tram, a decent evening.

10th June – The Lancs & Yorks Builder Tour

My alarm went off for around 6:15, giving me a decent 45 minutes for a quick shower and the chance to pop via Tesco for some breakfast and lunch for later as it would be a long day on some awful Mk1 coaches (sorry, I’m not the world’s greatest fan of these coaches with the bench seating as it hurts my back, even with my cushion). The trip today was a gentle meander across Lancaster pausing to visit the Clitheroe cement works, before heading towards Yorkshire via Hellifield and to the Hunslet East branch.

I was surprised that the barriers were in operation at 06:50 on a Saturday morning at New Street, as I headed down to take in some fresh air as winner 66057 rolled in with the usual Riviera coaches, coach B was near the rear and thankfully for a change I got a window seat on a regular bench (not one of the narrow ones near the doors or the centre)



On departure from New Street, the tour turned right at Soho to pause for a moment in the Perry Barr Down Goods Loop, before carrying on via Bescot Stadium, turning left to head towards Wolverhampton, pausing for a few minutes before Bushbury Junction before rejoining the main-line. Nothing of note towards Stafford, taking the slow lines towards Crewe, pausing into P12 where a pair of Colas 37s were spotted idling away, I spotted my first 345 just south of Crewe (345001), looks quite smart but needs a good wash. At Crewe another 66 was attached onto the rear before continuing heading northbound, sticking to the mainline all the way towards Farrington Junction, south of Preston, as the train turned right towards the East Lancashire Line.

The train paused for around 10 minutes in the Bamber Bridge Eng Rec Siding, allowing the passengers to note that the other sidings in this area are heavily overgrown and OOU, and also for a driver change. Departing the goods loop, it was nonstop via Blackburn, turning left onto the Ribble Valley Line for a route of rediscovery, pausing after Clitheroe, as due to the track layout you can only access the branch towards Horrocksford/Clitheroe Castle Cement from the other line. Winner 66176 fired up to haul the train back over the crossover used by the Northern services, and back towards Clitheroe station. 66057 was back in charge to turn left to head towards the Clitheroe Castle Cement, being the first passenger train to cross over the level crossing and into the works themselves, getting very nearly to the end of the line.



66176 was back in charge as after a short rest the train returned to the main-line, with 66057 once more in charge to carry on heading north over the mainly freight only section with the limited Sunday passenger service. Quite a pretty section of the network going through some very rural areas and brushing against some line side vegetation, not the fastest section of track and the rain did attempt to put a damper on the mood as the train rolled towards Hellifield to reverse in the Hellifield Goods Loop to the south of the station.

I was going forward once more with 66176 in charge for the very pretty run towards Leeds, going via platform 3 at Skipton without stopping, and having a decent run on the electrified section of the Airedale Line, running non-stop until a brief pause in the Kirkstall Up Loop before carrying on to take the through line at Leeds station, sadly we did stop briefly for a TPE to depart in front before the train continued heading east turning right into the Neville Hill Up Sidings, opposite the depot and some parts appeared to be very overgrown with some old coal wagons rusting away. I believe the 66 made it to the end of the line on one of the sidings before reversing once more to go towards the Hanson works on the Hunslet East branch line, once more reaching nearly to the end of the line, the buffer stops hidden behind some bushes.

Back towards Neville Hill, where I think the train took the other siding, before a final reversal with 66057 in charge for the short run to Leeds, where unusually for a Pathfinder Tour we had a 2 hour break, which was nice as it allowed the passengers some fresh air and the chance for a nice walk. I had news that my final Northern 158 was on Leeds – Huddersfield stoppers today so ditching the idea of heading to Huddersfield on grounds of cost, I had a brief look around the city, attempt to and failed to buy a day return to Batley from the Virgin TVMs (purchased it from a Northern TVM in double quick time). Thanks for MCSHF007 for giving me the Gen, and for 185143 for confirming that the 158 worked the previous Huddersfield stopper (just in case the unit had drifted off diagram and ended up on Nottingham or Manchester Victoria).

Anyhow it was to Batley on a very vocal 144019, making a lovely noise via the Morley Tunnel, as I crossed over to the other platform, with my fingers crossed as 5 minutes later the sight of a 158 was spotted and I was in luck as 158796 rolled in. Yippee, only leaves Scottish 158707 left to clear the class (which knowing my luck will be hiding in Inverness the next time I’m in Scotland). Not the best picture, but it saves me a job for next month when in Sheffield, only 3 more Northern DMUs remain



I popped out to Boots to grab some food before meeting up with 185143 for a brief chat about stuff before he leapt onto a required Carlisle bound 158 as I headed over to take a picture of the tour locos returning from the depot after being serviced before taking up my seat for the return journey back across the hills to Greater Manchester



Departure was on time and with a pause around the Engine Shed Junction to allow a Nottingham bound 158 go in front, before we continued towards Wakefield Kirkgate, going via the Goods Loop just before the station, sadly a 155 was in the centre track so that wasn’t covered, before continuing passing the remains of the Healey Mills marshalling yard, and going some speed joining the main line (I was expecting for us to stop and get looped at Marsden), going non-stop via Huddersfield and starting the climb towards Standedge Tunnel, and via the tunnel to reach the other side of the country. I believe the train took in platform 1 at Stalybridge before turning left towards Guide Bridge, joining that line for a short section before heading left towards Denton International, pausing for a good 10 minutes waiting for right time to join the main line (I think we went via the goods loop here as well).

I bailed at Stockport, mainly on grounds that the tour would continue back to Crewe and slowly make its way back towards Gloucester so I wasn’t missing out on anything and also because bailing at Stockport gave me a nice +62 cushion onto the final Manchester – Euston service of the evening. With nothing better to do I popped to McDonalds for some dinner before returning to waste some time on Stockport station, making use of the free station Wi-Fi before 390008 rolled in from Manchester. Surprisingly I didn’t have to kick a Stoke passenger out of my reserved seat, as coach C was quite quiet as I took up my favourite seat (C9 with the window sill for an armrest) to settle down for a speedy run to London.

Arrival was around 15 minutes early, due to the fast lines being open tonight, which gave me plenty of time to get across to Waterloo, sadly I didn’t feel like festering at Euston to see if any of my last few 95 stock units would pop up as I jumped on the first (51511/51512) for the run to Waterloo, exiting to the main concourse to await the arrival of the train from Exeter which would form the 23:40. It was running late due to congestion caused by earlier delays (main-line side of Waterloo was closed so everything was on the Windsor Side).

The 23:40 tonight was unusually formed of a pair of units (not sure if this was simply down to the fact that control decided to keep both units together at Salisbury due to the late running) with 159005 leading long-term absence (May 16 was the last time I had her) 159105, I noted that the 23:35 Southampton service departed looking rather full, as did the 159s get after departing Clapham Junction, until Basingstoke where the train emptied out quite well. Running around 10 minutes late, it was a speedy run back to Grateley allowing me to walk home, reflecting on a good day.

A few more “red” lines covered in my atlas, a few more minor goods loops in my Quails, another couple 66s into the book, plus my last Northern 158. I don’t think I will be returning to Leeds in a hurry as sadly I don’t need that much anymore which operates, only a single 153 which can operate in many places across the Northern Network.

Thanks for reading and yes, it looks like you've made it to the end
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
As always, an excellent read :)

Many congratulations on clearing your Northern 158s, I still need 4 of them with Northern! It sounds like a slow moving day on the tour, at least it's another two 66s in the book :)
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
A well written and interesting couple of reports as always Kite, nice bit of bedtime reading. :)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
As always, an excellent read :)

Many congratulations on clearing your Northern 158s, I still need 4 of them with Northern! It sounds like a slow moving day on the tour, at least it's another two 66s in the book :)

Slow at times, but fast at other times.

Although the 125 mph action afterwards from Stockport made up for the general slowness of the day :)
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Sounds like a very layed back couple days there, well done on the 158s there and BTW did you know theres now an Easy Hotel in Birmingham?
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
Sounds like a very layed back couple days there, well done on the 158s there and BTW did you know theres now an Easy Hotel in Birmingham?

I did, however when I was doing my booking it was more expensive than the Travelodge.

-----

I'm glad you enjoyed my random mutterings Cowley :)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
I was all set to have a nice quiet Friday evening at home, although when I found out that my last 150 was back in Bristol and would be working a late evening service to Weymouth I originally decided not to go for it, however I had a change of heart (mainly because knowing my luck it would disappear back down to Devon)

Anyhow, nice old NSE era sign at Salisbury near the pedestrian entrance


I decided to head to Bath, mainly to get a decent-ish run. I had a bad feeling after noting various delays & cancellations earlier in the evening, however all that was in vain as 150120 rolled in as booked to take me to Westbury for a nice 25 minute fester before the final Portsmouth service rolled in to take me back to Salisbury, a smile on my face as another class bites the dust



(Just watch it pop up next month when I'm in Cornwall :lol:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top