• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Depends what the weather is like too in all fairness for Sunday, if it's going to be a miserable day it's not worth going to deepest Devon!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
Where was the picture of 150916 taken, was that Crediton?
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
Ah thanks. Got a bit confused there. Did you say you were doing the Gunnislake branch?

I might be, although the way I'm feeling I might take a visit to the isle of Wight as a "just in case 483008 or 483009 are out".

Depends what time I wake up, although I did make an unofficial connection at Basingstoke tonight to get me home 80 minutes earlier than expected :)
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
13th – A trip to Manchester

Beware this trip report involves multiple voyagers, mainly due to price (sadly SWT don’t release advance availability for the VT+ Connection tickets so going via London costs more, also Arsenal were playing away to Stoke in the football so I wanted to avoid London trains due to the potential of overcrowding of quiet, friendly, kind & caring football fans (ok that bit might be a lie). Anyhow, the main reason for today’s little trip to Manchester was to have a good old fashion unit hunt, on both Northern & Metrolink, with a wish to do the 2nd City Crossing to clear the track for coverage.

A gentle walk to the station and for the first time in a couple weeks I was heading eastwards on the 05:59 service, formed this morning of 159106 for the short trip to Basingstoke, with 165137 taken on a time wasting leap to Reading, mainly so I could swing via Boots for something to eat for breakfast (noting the mystery shop). The voyager taking me to Manchester this morning was 220021, so taking my reserved table seat I settled down to relax for the voyage to Manchester. A quick tweet to Virgin confirmed that my last 390 wouldn’t be visiting Manchester as it was on a Glasgow service [although I was tempted to head out to try and capture it on a Warrington – Wigan leap]. No reply from Merseyrail regarding my last 2 507s so they will have to wait until July time.

A quick glance round the low level platforms at Piccadilly, picked out a 158 working an ATW service, and nothing else of interest, so I headed over to the high level island platform to keep my eye out if any of my remaining 3* northern units (of which could be working, so excludes that 153 & 158s) or that 175 would pop up. Nothing of interest so for a PNB I jumped onto 156421/156440 for an Oxford Road leap, returning to Piccadilly on 142032 & 142011 for another brief scan of the low level platforms. 158813/156403 took me to Oxford Road, where I was thinking of a time wasting move on the Liverpool stopper, but that departed late so decided against it. Nothing else of interest before the next stopper from Liverpool rolled in, for it was my last northern 150, 150149 (attached with 142037).

Sadly due to the nature of the Liverpool stoppers, there wasn’t any decent moves I could do which wouldn’t give me 20 minutes to kill, Irlam was tempting but in the end I bailed 29 chains later at Deansgate for a short wait before 156461/142003 took me back to Oxford Road, with 158856/158788 hot on that pacer’s heels back to Piccadilly. One final scan of the low level platforms and I called it a day, heading to the basement jumping on trams 3045/3021 to Piccadilly Gardens. The next Bury service was showing as 8 minutes away so I walked to Market Street where the next Bury service was showing as 8 minutes away, so I walked to Shudehill (where the next Bury service was showing as 8 minutes away!), in the end I followed the tram tracks down to Victoria in time to ID a 150+153 working.

Lunch was calling so it was to WH Smiths for an awful wrap, before I headed back to the platforms at Victoria, just scanning for anything required and noting down a few of my final dozen trams being out and about. My eyes caught a 158 which had arrived from Leeds, and I jumped on board for it was winner 158794 which took me to Rochdale. I asked Northern where my 153 was and they replied on the Harrogate line (which made sense as the Knaresborough short workings are normally 155+153) so I foolishly purchased a ticket to Headingley (yes I know I could have probably gotten it cheaper), and I waited for the next Manchester service.

25 minutes later (and after a 142 had departed for Blackburn) it was a nice empty 3-car 158759 taking me the 38 miles & 55 chains via the Calder Valley (so recovering a very pretty line), and to Leeds, where I did notice a 158 sitting on platform 5 but at the time failed to pay it much attention (mistake number 2), as I decided to pop outside the gateline to purchase some local newspapers for local people (I think BT knows the reason for that). Once back the other side of the gate, I headed to platform 1 for the next Knaresborough to be disappointed it was 150270 to take me to Headingley (which for a station serving a large cricket ground is rubbish). My disappointed continued as the next Leeds service was another 150, turning that down for the other Knaresborough, my hopes dashed as it was 155343/153358. Back to Leeds for a 29 minute fester, where I decided to take a look at that 158 sat on platform 5, showing it was working the peak-time extra Knaresborough...

...153352 was sat on the front. Sadly there would be no way of catching it to return to Leeds in time to catch a Manchester Victoria service to connect with my XC home. The information was correct, it had been on the Harrogate line services, but got swapped over with that 150 from Morecambe, it escapes me for the day (and I was feeling a bit down for being so foolish, I could have avoided wasting an hour if I had only spotted that 153 attached to the 158 earlier, and probably would have done had it not been for a VTEC service blocking the view on P6). Anyhow my unit back to Manchester Victoria would fall to sub-10 mile 158793, a bit busy on departure but by Bradford it was pretty much empty. A good noise from the engine crossing back over the Calder Valley into Manchester Victoria where time wasn’t really on my side to have a probably tram hunting session.

3092 was the next East Didsbury service, taking me over the 2nd City Crossing to cover the new track to St Peter’s Square, with 3020/3008 taking me to Piccadilly Gardens, where I popped to the Tesco nearby to pick up my dinner, before returning to the stop. A required tram was spotted waiting for a dud pair from St Peter’s Square, so it wasn’t long before the “dirty dozen” became the “elusive eleven” with 3030 entering my book for the short run to Piccadilly (where it terminated, as it seems the Etihad Campus services have swapped from Bury to Altrincham). Walking upstairs and I was glad the 19:30 ATW appeared to be a 158 (as I had a feeling 175003 would have made an appearance on a service I had no hope of getting), the 19:27 to Southampton Central tonight was formed of high mileage 220015 and was quite busy until Macclesfield.

The platform at Stoke on Potato was rammed with football fans, waiting for the London train a few minutes behind, although the voyager didn’t escape as a good bunch of vocal (singing rude songs about most of the other teams) ‘fans’ boarded, unable to get a table seat they took over the luggage area, thankfully leaving around New Street, leaving behind a good 20 empty cans of cheap mass produced lager. It was a peaceful trip back towards Reading, losing time at Coventry due to a late running LM service blocking the junction, but thankfully that delay was recovered by Reading following some speed, departing Reading on time allowing me to make an unofficial +4 at Basingstoke.

The 22:20 service from Waterloo wasn’t as busy as normal tonight, I easily got a table seat on 159010 for the run back to Grateley, walking home arriving around 15 minutes before it sounded a storm had arrived (so good timing as I probably would have got wet if I walked home 80 minutes later). In summary, an alright day, 2 more northern units into my book (leaving just 1x 153, 2x Heaton 156s & 1x 158), another tram.


------------------

On the Sunday after a nice sleep in, I headed to the Isle of Wight, scoring both the “Wight Ryder 1” boat, plus 483008 on a run to Shanklin (the other unit out was 483004 which I IDed at Ryde St Johns Road allowing me to stay on 008 for the run to Shanklin & back, where I pulled of a tight connection with a GWR service to put my back right time (after missing the first train due to getting caught behind some “Sunday drivers” who decided that 20 mph was plenty (on a 50 mph road):



Glorious day weather wise:


Next weekend sees the start of my main ‘holiday’, a week in Scotland, although I suspect Friday evening might be more limited due to being with bag full of clothes (not sure what to do yet)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
A shame the trip north didn't work out as well as hoped, but at least it wasn't a total washout :)

You sure had some good weather down south today, nice work on getting a winner 483 in the book :)
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Shame about the Mancc trip not going to plan - 153352 will be the new 365 ;). Congrats on clearing the Northern 150s, and at getting your penultimate 483.
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
Only an alright day? Seemed like a good day to me! Another class cleared and well done for missing the storm!

Penultimate 483 was good too! I've only had three of them!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
Only an alright day? Seemed like a good day to me! Another class cleared and well done for missing the storm!

Penultimate 483 was good too! I've only had three of them!

No class clearance on Saturday (still need 2x GWR 150s)

3 out of 5 isn't bad for the 483s ;)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
My bad! Thought you'd done the class!

I wish I had, but 150120 keeps hiding from me, plus the pending return of 150126 means under my rules I need to hunt it down once it has re-entered traffic.

(I'm not looking forward to when the 158/9s are reformed back to their original formations as I will need to hunt them down again).

As for the Isle of Wight, I think my next trip will be via the Hovercraft, as I believe this ticket (http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=ROM&dest=SHN&rlc=NGC&rte=982&tkt=CDR) allows traffic via the buslink to the Hoverport.
 
Last edited:

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
I'll need to hunt down the reformed 158s too. To be honest I am waiting for them to be reformed so I actually have something to go after in my neck of the woods.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
BTW am I right in thinking you can use a "Ride Cornwall" rover on the down sleeper on a Saturday morning from Plymouth to Penzance as it is classed as a day train from Exeter (i.e. showing in the public timetable with arrival & departure times)?
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,755
Location
Up North
BTW am I right in thinking you can use a "Ride Cornwall" rover on the down sleeper on a Saturday morning from Plymouth to Penzance as it is classed as a day train from Exeter (i.e. showing in the public timetable with arrival & departure times)?
As far as I'm aware. It's my intention to use it on a Devon Day Ranger from Exeter to Plymouth in the summer.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
 

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Joined
11 Jan 2015
Messages
1,223
As far as I'm aware. It's my intention to use it on a Devon Day Ranger from Exeter to Plymouth in the summer.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

That's the plan for me too, 57 haulage for a cheap price
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
BTW am I right in thinking you can use a "Ride Cornwall" rover on the down sleeper on a Saturday morning from Plymouth to Penzance as it is classed as a day train from Exeter (i.e. showing in the public timetable with arrival & departure times)?

It's valid on any train on a Saturday. The sleeper is indeed a normal service between EXD and PNZ. Same in opposite direction although that doesn't run on a Saturday night.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
Although annoyingly I've booked it on the same day the BLS are taking a HST to the North Yorkshire Moors, from the rough guide looks like I could have scored a couple little bits on NR metals (Selby Canal Curve being the main one). Although the timings would have required an overnight stay in Derby or Sheffield.

Anyhow, I'm hoping the weather in Scotland will be better next week than this week (although I haven't got that many walks planned). I shall be attempting to post random updates using the hashtag #FieldsofThistles :)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
19th May – Fields of Thistles, Day 0

And you've been so busy lately that you haven't found the time, to open up your mind, and watch the world spinning gently out of time

If I said I hadn’t been counting down the days and the hours before my latest Scottish adventure I would be lying, putting into play plans made last July time (and changed a few times since then), but I was buzzing leaving work on the Friday afternoon to put some finishing touches to my “mobile house” before having a gentle walk to the station, with a couple ideas in mind what to do within London to waste some time before the lowland sleeper.

The trip began with 159019 & 159003 taking me to Waterloo, but before hand I noticed that my local TVM now does BZ6 tickets (which saved a job), for my first trip would be another “line of rediscovery”, so it was towards Liverpool Street via 51719/51623 on the Northern Line to Embankment, 21473/21474 to Blackfriars on the district. Some 319 based motor noise to Farringdon with 319423/319449 followed by 21485/21486 bound for Barking to Liverpool Street, my aim being for a Hertford East service which is routed via Seven Sisters to recover that line [in a slightly faster way than on LO!].

I was impressed with the overhead luggage rack on 317666 being able to hold my bag (attached with 317657), as I sat back to relax listening to some 317 noise heading via Seven Sisters to bail at Ware for a short wait before a Stratford – Hertford East service rolled in formed of 317660/317653 to take me to Hertford East (via a RPI check, not many times I get asked to show my photo card as part of my Hatton season ticket), a station I haven’t visited for many years, however my stay this time was short as I walked over from the lesser used platform 1 to platform 2 to reboard 317657 & 317666 for the short run back to Broxbourne, crossing over to the other platform to await the next terminating service to arrive from London.

Until this week, these services used to run back to Liverpool Street as ECS, however someone in GA planning decided to make a bit of money and turn them into passenger services, which run non-stop to Liverpool Street. Needless to say I think I had a private 317! 317662 & 317652 were in charge, and it felt strange speeding through Tottenham Hale before the usual crawl for the final few miles, after noticing the new ticket office at Liverpool Street, and grabbing some food from Tesco outside, I returned to LU (annoyingly my travelcard failed to operate any barriers today, must have been an encoding error from the TVM).

Another item which has been on my “to do” list for a fair while is to catch a Fast metropolitan line service, just for the sake of it. Thankfully when at Liverpool Street the next westbound service was a fast Met service to Amersham so I jumped onto 21047/21048, managing to grab a decent seat. As it was around 19:15, it wouldn’t be as busy as a 17:15 departure (which some of those look quite cosy even from Aldgate). Where it got busy it wasn’t super busy, and soon emptied out at Harrow on the Hill, as we crossed over to the “Chiltern” platform before speeding northbound (felt like a 165 would be quicker), as I alighted at Moor Park the limit of my travelcard.

I know it seems random, but it is something done. 21019/21020 took me back to Harrow on the Hill, where my plan was to jump on an Uxbridge to Rayners Lane for some Piccadilly line action (as I don’t think I have ever gone south on the Piccadilly line from Rayners Lane towards Acton, bar a short section at Sudbury), however the Piccadilly line was reported to be part suspended, so I gave that idea a miss. Anyhow it was 165038 to take me south towards Central London, where I decided as a time wasting move to search out a train with some plug sockets. To Victoria, with 3238/3532 taking me to Oxford Circus, with 11051/11052 onwards to Victoria, taking a short walk over to the 21:20 Brighton service, which oddly was departing from P14 (so probably quieter than normal).

As usual it was trio of 387/2s, with 387209 leading 387202 with low mileage 387205 on the rear. To East Croydon where I had a short wait before the next Bedford bound Thameslink, which was formed of low chainage 700038 for the Thameslink crawl (but good for my phone battery) to West Hampstead Thameslink, where the next southbound service provided me with my first winner of the day with 700007 to St Pancras. I couldn’t be bothered dealing with LU so took the mobile house for a little walk to Euston, where I was booked onto the sleeper as far as Carlisle in the seats.

After walking to the end of platform 1 to ID the loco, I was happy as it was winner 92038 doing the haulage this evening, as I took up my airline seat in the seated coach. Sadly the curtain opposite was missing, but I soon swapped over to another seat after Watford for a so-so night sleep, the big question was “would the sleeper arrive in Carlisle on time for me to make the connection to the 05:25 Dumfries?”

To be continued, but I leave you with a picture of the beasty 92038

 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
A good first part there and you're lucky you managed to get a dyson!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Kite I'm already jealous, that 92 is required here and I suspect a fair whack of other stuff you had is too.

I did a southbound "fast" Met service when I wanted to find out what they were like, I honestly didn't think much of the experience. They're supposed to fly to Moor Park I'm sure I've been told but it wasn't that good. Granted, I suspect if you were on all the way to Amersham or Chesham it's quicker than an all-stations run.

I like the mobile house comment, I believe 47403 uses it too, and I'm fairly certain I'll be using that term on a trip report in June...
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
20th May – Fields of Thistles, Day 1

Beware this trip report features multiple buses and 170s :lol:

The story continues half asleep on the sleeper, with the question did I leave you in suspense regarding that tight connection at Carlisle? After a mild panic at Preston (looked out of the window to see the virgin colours when half asleep without glasses, but afterwards I returned to my semi-sleep state for the run to Carlisle, where 92038 arrived a few minutes early, allowing me to be woken up by the sound of a 37 roaring away on the first Barrow service.

The sleeper went into platform 4 which meant a less of a walk under the scaffolding to platform 8 (annoyingly I still need platform 7, as platform 8 is dud on a 221!) to board 156451, making use of the time for a quick change of clothes and freshen up in the toilet of this northern unit. I think I was the only passenger on board as it departed Carlisle heading northbound, passing many new 88s in the depot before turning left to pause at my first shack score of the trip with Gretna Green. As I had the mobile house with me and it looked like rain was coming, I took shelter for 45 or so minutes in the waiting shelter to read some newspapers I picked up on the Friday. Beware for any tight connections as it is a long footbridge.


Bang on time my first Scotrail unit of the trip appeared, and it was 156431 to take me the near 8 mile spin to Annan to clear the line from Carlisle to Glasgow via Dumfries (although Dumfries is on my list to revisit under a slight revision of my shack scoring rules). I had a tight connection here at this pretty looking shack however I made it with ease (and hence I could continue with plan A), back onto Newcastle bound 156451 for some more 156 thrash to Carlisle where I had a 45 minute wait before the next northbound service would arrive, so it was a trip to Tesco for some breakfast.



This is where my plan was pretty much non-existence so after a short wait eating my breakfast it was onto a mostly empty 390008 for the short run to Glasgow Central, locating a table seat in coach B for some phone charge and some window watching, once at Glasgow Central I decided to go 380 hunting on the off-chance my final Scottish Dessie was out and about (or any of my remaining 3x 156s), and for the first hour or so 380013 was hiding from me and I was just about to quit to head over to Edinburgh on a fast “Via Shotts” service before I spotted a pair of units so I headed via the gateline for the higher number platforms, 380002 was on the rear with a required face on the front, 380013, with the sound of a class clearance cannon (and final Scottish EMU until the 385s start entering service)



Thankfully it was on a Largs service which called at Paisley Gilmour Street, so that is where I bailed (didn’t give any other decent connections until Kilwinning), but I was happy as it meant I didn’t have to search for the bugger anymore, but sad as it meant my planned trip via Shotts would have to wait until another day. 380108 returned me to Glasgow Central and I set off for a short walk to Glasgow Queen Street where after some lunch, I boarded 170473/170418 for the fast run (Croy & Falkirk High) to Haymarket for there was a required tram out and about (according to the Transport for Edinburgh App).



After passing a tram with a horse on the side, I picked up my day ticket (easier to use a tram TVM as they take cards for the £4 ticket) and I had a short 7 minute wait before winner 277 rolled in to take me slow and steady to York Place, only 255 remains of the Edinburgh Trams (and it was hiding on depot on all 4 days when I was in Edinburgh :() It was time to head towards the Edinburgh Thistle guest-house which overlooks Leith Links, however it had started to rain and the next route 25 bus was running late. Eventually bus 465 rolled up to take me towards the “Somerset Place” bus stop, which is a handy couple minute walk from the guest house [other buses are available, but they don’t stop as close by].

I checked in, dropped my bag off to a different room, and headed back out into the rain to wait and another route 25 bus (meant to be every 10 minutes), however the next bus was the return of 465 and it took a long time to head back towards the city centre (mainly due to traffic caused by digging up the roads and it stopping every couple minutes to pick up more passengers), eventually I made it to Edinburgh Waverley with time to spare for a quick ID session for a few services I could do a Haymarket leap on, however none of the final 5 were sighted, so it was over to the Aberdeen bound HST. 43206 was leading 43310, as it rolled into P19, so as the normals crowded around the first available standard class door allowing me to continue to grab a decent table seat on the right hand side.

Certainly felt smooth as silk crossing over the Forth Bridge, pausing a couple times before arriving at Leuchars (for St Andrews). The station is a nice island platform with a warm waiting room, but there didn’t seem to be a lot around other than a handful of houses and a car park featuring the St Andrews Bus Link.



With the rain still being in the sky, I took a breather, relaxing the time away before 170427 rolled in on a Dundee terminator, crossing the wonderful 2nd Tay Bridge to cross over the River Tay to reach Dundee, terminating into platform 3 (I have no idea if I’ve used either of these bay platforms on previous trips to Dundee so I will call it a platform score). Dundee station is still a mixed bag of old parts closed off (looked like the bar has closed!), with some construction taking place at street level. However my time to re-discover Dundee was short as I wanted the next Glasgow bound service which called at a certain limited service station.

A busy 170457 rolled in, so I took a fold-down seat by the door for the short hop alongside the river to Invergowrie, just as the rain started to throw it down. Invergowrie has no shelter on the Perth bound platform, but had a little bus stop outside on the road (and also a little bus shelter thing on the Dundee bound platform). I hid in said shelter for the next 5 minutes before the rain stopped and went exploring noting the rather good views from the footbridge of the Tay Bridge (probably need a good camera with zoomage for a good picture).



Anyhow, pretty soon my half an hour wait came to an end with 170453 rolling in to take me nearly 10 miles eastwards alongside the Tayside to score my first Angus shack with Monifieth. Where I had two options to reaching the next station along the line, either a 3.1 mile walk on a bike/footpath which runs pretty much alongside the line, or a bus move, needless to say had it been a nice sunny day I probably would have done the walk, however with the chance of another sudden downpour it was a quick walk (via Tesco) to the bus stop.

(New PIS for the enhanced service coming soon?)

It was a route 73A “Stagecoach Tayside” bus, fleet 13054 to take me to Barry village, unusual in having a conductor on board. It was a fast run to reach the small village on the outskirts of Carnoustie, as I fired up Google Maps for the half mile walk to reach the 5th least used station in GB, Barry Links. Firstly I was surprised at the station as the picture below shows it looks like it has had new platform services. I wasn’t expecting anything like that:


With 30 minutes to kill, I took up a seat to eat my food sourced from the Tesco, and waited before 170470 rolled in on the all-station stopper to take me the mile up the line to Golf Street, local door only here as the basic looking platforms can only hold 2 carriages, sadly the sun had come out meaning I couldn’t shot heading westwards (but I wasn’t alone in bailing here)


I set my sights for a brisk 10 minute walk to reach Carnoustie, which overlooks the sea, somewhere I could have easily spent a good hour sitting on one of the benches looking out to the sea, watching the world spinning gently out of time. What was my 2nd last 170 decided to make an appearance on an Aberdeen bound service, but I turned it down to await the next Glasgow bound service formed of 170456. Beware, you have only got 15 or so minutes to do that walk in, otherwise it is an hour to wait before the next train which calls.



I remained on board 170456 all the way to Stirling (for lack of a better idea, as the next Edinburgh service was a stopper). It was a short wait in the sunshine for 170474 to roll in from Dunblane so I took up a seat behind the cab (less engine noise) for the stopping service back to Edinburgh, bailing at Haymarket for a brief fester before 158741 rolled in to take me back to Edinburgh. With nothing else of interest due into Edinburgh, I headed to the bus stop to catch another route 25 bus, this time fleet 462[/b] of the newish looking Volvo double deckers (I love the seats) to take me back to Leith and Somerset Place, the end of a successful day with a couple of the “one service a day” Angus stations done along with a couple other limited served ones.

To be continued, but I leave you with a picture of 170411 in the late evening sunshine at Carnoustie:


--------

@ Quinn, sadly once more I was in the seated coach which is at the rear of the Glasgow portion, so no noise from the 92 :(
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Another excellent read, and I see you couldn't help taking a photo of one of the 170s that will probably avoid me like the plague when I get up there next! Which reminds me that I need to organise a visit to Scotland. I can see myself doing a Spirit of Scotland next year myself, although I have a lot of expensive plans for 2018!
 

alexf380

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2011
Messages
1,417
Location
Musselburgh, Scotland
A very good day for you indeed, and I'm glad the sun came out for you in the end.

The newish looking Volvo double deckers are indeed new, having arrived in December last year. They are very nice, I must say.
 

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Well done on scoring Invergowrie, Monifieth, Barry Links, and Golf Street.

I did Invergowrie a couple of years ago by alighting from a Glasgow QS - Dundee there, then bus to Dundee. I also did Golf Street by alighting there and walking via Links Parade to Carnoustie in contrasting weather, as it was horizontal rain.

Finally, well done on landing 170456, as this is my remaining Class 170 of the Scotrail fleet I require.
 

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
Great stuff.
My total shack scores for May is zero and reading that has made me want to stretch my new station muscles big time :)
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
What a tedious diet of 170s, but well done on those shacks.

The Taway73 bus service is indeed a bit unique in carrying conductors and is also worked by Hybrid buses for anyone interested.

Thanks for sharing, more tomorrow I hope?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top