• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
How you suffer the ECML all these trips is beyond me. Well done on winners and shacks, is the St Enoch hotel as grim as everyone says it is on the likes of TA?
For future, the roundabout is valid on the subway and a gate pass simply needs obtaining at any subway office.

The pretty part I spent looking out of the window, returning to having a forum catch-up session after Newcastle.

St Enoch is reasonable, probably not that good for yourself due to having a steep spiral staircase (which does smell a bit like wet dog), but I had a solo room, nice comfy double bed, en-suite shower/toilet. Like the Euro Hostel, location can't really be beaten (my room overlooked the entrance to St Enoch subway station), true it was a bit noisy late night, and I needed to use a towel at the base of the door to block out some of the light.

I've got a shared room coming up this weekend in Cardiff due to the city centre being rather expensive for hotels, but I don't plan to be in there for long.

I know about the Roundabout being valid on the subway, probably if I had a good 30 minute session I could have IDed any requirements out using an island platform [Buchanan Street has a divider so it is quite hard to ID what is on the inner circle from the outer platform.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Spiral stairs no bother so thanks will add it to my list of potential places to stay if needed over that way, the euro hostel is too noisy for too long so given the subway shuts quite early and theres not so many buses or bars round there it sounds ok
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
Well that was a successful trip! Is 2017 the year you will clear everything then? Looks like it!
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
Well that was a successful trip! Is 2017 the year you will clear everything then? Looks like it!

It really does. I think by 2019 Kite will just be left hunting obscure industrial diesels in factories :)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
Thanks for your comments Cowley & Noddy.

I won't clear everything this year, as some of the lines in Wales needs to have a good 3/4 days based in that area to focus on shacks and i don't have enough holiday
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,755
Location
Up North
Thanks for your comments Cowley & Noddy.

I won't clear everything this year, as some of the lines in Wales needs to have a good 3/4 days based in that area to focus on shacks and i don't have enough holiday
Would it be West Wales that's going to be a sticking point? Can't imagine the Heart of Wales being particularly easy either.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
I reckon Kite will struggle on the Cambrian and Heart of Wales. It took me a long time to clear the Heart of Wales after all, and I live far more locally than most on here!

Another top read Kite, what an amazing trip you had! There's something else you won't clear this year, unless deliveries ramp up fast, and that's 700s. Possibly the same for 345s. 707s will be easy enough I suspect, and of course the 800 Series will start in service soon enough. Plus I suspect 153365 will continue to evade you :lol:

Feel free to ask for advice on my old stomping grounds, or indeed on my current stomping grounds!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
Knowing 153365 it will probably appear on some services in Birmingham which I can't easily grab on a Friday evening (roughly arriving around 18:00 from the 14:59 service).

I've already got a rough plan Alex to visit Edinburgh early next year, mainly to revisit the Borders Line and maybe a trip to North Berwick (making use of that new 2-day rover), before having a good 385 hunting session with the odd trip to Falkirk High/Polmont.

@ Richard:
West Wales should be getting done this weekend (and next Saturday), Heart of Wales & Cambrian Coast will take the longest, owing to the sheer number of stops. I will probably do North Wales later in the year, just needs a long weekend [Friday & Saturday night in Crewe, Sunday in Llanaundo], but that depends how much leave I'm forced to take over summer
 
Last edited:

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,755
Location
Up North
Good luck with West Wales, as it's on my radar for September, though more to clear all three branches for track. However, I see a chance to clear a few Tenby-Pembroke Dock shacks during the day too.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
Just can't get enough of the sleeper seats then, eh? ;)

It might be a sleeper move, depends on fares :lol:

Although my May trip to Scotland involves the seats both ways (Euston to Carlisle & Inverness to Euston via ECML) plus my September trip I believe I'm booked in the berths both ways (Euston - Glasgow & Fort William - Euston).

I haven't got any trips currently booked, or planned, which involves VTEC!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
Hmm what are the odds of the Heart of Wales line being closed for August Bank holiday weekend?

Going to be expensive (doesn't look like Swansea or Llanelli does bargain hotels, getting £34 a night in Llanelli for that weekend, and looking at random dates in the future it seems that is the going rate). Only negative seems to be non refundable rooms so if there is engineering works that weekend I will be ****ed :(
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,755
Location
Up North
Hmm what are the odds of the Heart of Wales line being closed for August Bank holiday weekend?

Going to be expensive (doesn't look like Swansea or Llanelli does bargain hotels, getting £34 a night in Llanelli for that weekend, and looking at random dates in the future it seems that is the going rate). Only negative seems to be non refundable rooms so if there is engineering works that weekend I will be ****ed :(
I managed to get the Premier Inn in Swansea for £42 and refundable for around that time and it didn't seem too badly priced for the surrounding days, have you tried that?

There's a reason why I did however opt for a stay in London over August Bank Holiday weekend, at least something will be moving before there'll hopefully be a Night Riviera in existence to take me to the west!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
I've taken the risk and booked up in Llanelli, it might be a couple quid more than in Swansea but looking at the map I have location on my side :)

28th April – Hello, is it me your looking for?

It’s been sort of a running joke in the past few months that a certain unit doesn’t like Bedford, however after doing some research and I managed to pick up that in theory I could do the various workings within Birmingham which sees a 153 out to play got me thinking about a smash & grab to Birmingham if a certain 153 was out and about.

I got news that my favourite 153 was due to work the 18:03 [ish] Dorridge – Stourbridge service, which was semi-ideal for me, making up a rough plan involving bailing at Solihull with some 68 mileage thrown in on top, so it was a quick turnaround at home with a fast walk to Grateley station, purchasing my day return to Reading (Reading – Banbury & Banbury – Birmingham was purchased on route and picked up at Basingstoke). The 14:59 today was formed of 159017 & 159015 taking me to Basingstoke, where I picked up the previously mentioned tickets, a quick meal-deal from Sainsburys and my “Explore South Wales” rover from the ticket office.

I got a bit of a shock when I saw the 15:47 towards Manchester was something I haven’t had before on this part of the XC network, a pair of 220s. 220034 was leading 220015 as I took a seat in an unreserved 015 for the trip towards Reading, changing seats to remain facing forward to keep an eye out on new 387s in Reading depot, firing up RTT around Oxford just to see how the 68 was doing, only to find out that the Chiltern line was thrown into chaos due to an incident around Beaconsfield, I’m guessing some 168s were diverted via Aylesbury but the 68 wasn’t out. A quick check of NRE saw that ticket acceptance for “Chiltern Only” tickets was being allowed on XC, so I remained on board the pair of voyagers.

Thankfully it was a pair of voyagers so they soaked up the extra passengers, but sad in missing out on 68 mileage, and I was a bit worried as due to running late into Coventry the 220s were caught behind a 350 which would call at most stations after Birmingham International, however we looped that 350 at Birmingham International to get a clear run into Birmingham New Street, as I was expecting some issues at the gateline, but at around 18:00 the ticket barriers were wide open (big cheer from the City Line fare dodgers), similar the barriers were wide open at Moor Street, where I had a rough plan to get some extra 153 mileage, but that went into the bin after a +9 at Small Heath would be reduced to a +2 as the 172s were held for a delayed 168 service (which looked rather cosy).

Did you know that there was a day return to Smethwick Galton Bridge marked as “ATW only” for a few pence less than the any permitted (but strangely the TVM didn’t seem to apply the Gold Card discount to that ticket)? Anyhow I went back onto the platform, as the danger music started to play, a 153 was spotted in the distance...

...

*takes a bite out of my apple to try and build more tension*

...

It wasn’t 153366 this time, nor 153375 but was 153365, my final LM unit (and 2nd last 153), jumping for joy as I took a seat in the 153 for the run to Smethwick Galton Bridge, making a note it was 170634 on the rear:


172222 & 172219 took me back to Birmingham Snow Hill, as I took a seat on an arriving 168004 whose departure time was pushed back to become the 19:17 service to London, calling additionally at High Wycombe. Anyhow departure time came and the 168 started its slow move back towards Banbury, where as always I bailed onto superior traction following, this time it was a nice and empty 221140 to speed effortlessly towards Reading where it terminated (noting that this service returns to Birmingham as the one which reverses after Didcot to go round the west curve, and goes via Aston, one I’m hoping to be on in June time due to staying overnight for a tour the following day).

Anyhow after swinging via McDonalds for a meal (not a lot of other options available that time of night at Reading), before 165119 gave me some Turbo thrash down the line to Basingstoke (featuring a very jolly guard), with 159104 & 158886 taking me back to Grateley, another SWT 158 cleared for the year. Needless to say I was still buzzing at finally capturing that 153, to clear London Midland outright, only wondering why it took so long to think about visiting Birmingham on a smash & grab.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
Hearty congratulations on getting that blasted 153 after so long! What's the one you have remaining?

Northern's 153352 is my last dogbox.

And that one will probably be harder to get into my book than 365 owing to the wide area the Northern lot work
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,755
Location
Up North
Congratulations on 153365 eventually falling into your book.

Indeed 153352 could be working anything from a Barton on Humber to a Cumbrian Coast service so you'll need some decent luck on your side.

Thankfully all of them seem to rotate around doing services into Leeds so your luck will probably be best there.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
I got lucky with my last 142 popping up in Sheffield when I there for trams so hopefully it will pop up on a Manchester - Clitheroe working weekend after next.

Or pop up at random when I'm doing the coast for shacks :)
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,755
Location
Up North
I got lucky with my last 142 popping up in Sheffield when I there for trams so hopefully it will pop up on a Manchester - Clitheroe working weekend after next.

Or pop up at random when I'm doing the coast for shacks :)

Just looked at my haulage notes and i've had it tacked onto a 156 from Bolton to Hall I'th' Wood before so it does happen :)
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
Congratulations on finally getting 365 in the book! You are right about the northern ones though. Of the 8 I need 7 are Northern!
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Dogbox Action, nice! Well done also on avoiding the chilton chaos. 220s superior? Well not if its that vs a 390 or something but against a 168 your probs right. Loved the trip title by the way!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Many congratulations on scoring your last LM MU, you owe LM's Twitter team a big thanks for getting you the gen (and within only minutes of my tweeting them on your behalf too)!

220s and 221s are definitely superior to the droning of 168s, of that there can be no question *waits for fishquinn to comment differently* ;)

Very much looking forward to the rest of your weekend's trip report! As for only needing one Northern 153 to clear the whole fleet, I doubt I'm alone in thinking you are a lucky little so and so!

*Makes note to get a serious Northern session going on*
 

TC60054

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2016
Messages
595
Location
Doncaster
I don't know, I had pretty darn good luck getting my last Northern 153 in, what with it being on the Barton on Humber shuttle when i went to go and score that bit of track...:lol:
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
It will either fall completely at random, just happen to be in Manchester the same day I am, or it could be like 150149 in popping up at times I can't get it and being a general pain in the rear end.

In terms of noise, a voyager is quieter than a 168 at speed, and takes the run from Banbury towards Reading without even breaking a sweat. Although a 68 hauled set beats it hands down for comfort
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
29th April – Exploring South Wales, Day 1

It was time to focus again on a part of the country where my station needs are the greatest (but unit needs not that much), mainly South Wales. Staying overnight gave me an excuse to score a PSUL move over the Leckwith loop, with the first day mainly being spent on the Marshes line. An early morning drive took me to Salisbury where I had a falling out with the car park ticket machines for failing to note that Monday was a bank holiday charging me the regular parking rate, but it was onto the station noting that 158880 was the hire-in unit for the day and 150261 rolling in to collect it to form the 06:03 (ish) to Westbury.

I was the only passenger, and unlike the last time I did this service it appears the 158 now stays on until Bristol (rather that detaching at Westbury), with the SWT unit being unlocked. Needless to say when the guard invited me to sit in the “comfy seats” I couldn’t say no, so I took a seat in the First Class area for the enjoyable run to Bristol Temple Meads. Once at Bristol it seemed that SWT unit would work back to Westbury where I lost track of its movements (goes into the sidings), I had an option of a linear leap on a service from Western Super Mere, which had a set swap from a pair of 153s to a 150/2, so it was a short walk to a waiting 158798 on the next Cardiff service (which is good because this GWR 158 was my lowest mileage example).

Nothing much happened on route to Bristol, passing 150916 (score for sight) around Patchway, as the train terminated at Cardiff Central. The next Manchester service was dud, so was a couple other services heading back towards Newport (this is where I could have planned my moves so much better), so it was onto my first “hippo” of the day, in the shape of 175105 bound for Holyhead. I noted a design flaw with the overhead luggage racks not being able to take my bag, as I set off eastbound (on a high mileage 175) to score my first shack of the day with Pontypool & New Inn. Served by these 2-hourly Holyhead trains during off-peak (with additional calls by the Manchester services during the peaks, so I had roughly a 50 minute wait for the next southbound service.

Nothing much in the area of the station, which itself was a pretty basic island platform with a little bus shelter, but I had something to read sitting in the sun before 175002 rolled in to take me to Cwmbran, where I made use of a nearby Morrisons to pick up lunch. Winner 175008 was up next to take me northbound, a quite busy service where I was lucky enough to get a seat, my plan was thrown into chaos when the 175 came to a stop between Leominster & Ludlow due to a “Cow on the line”. Eventually the 175 started to moove, a bit at a reduced speed, passing Daisy before rolling into the oddly served Craven Arms.

I had forgotten how pretty this line is (last time I’ve travelled along it was in August 14), and how far the stations are apart. Anyhow at Craven Arms the unit from the Heart of Wales line was running late (RTT had it down as being cancelled due to a train fault), however the PIS had it down as arriving roughly at the same time as the next Holyhead, which got later and later (due to Daisy) eventually rolling in around 15 minutes late. 175112 would be taking me one stop up the line to Church Stretton, with due to the delay meant my first option had gone, leaving me with 175106 taking me to Ludlow (another pretty looking town).

After a short wait, 175109 rolled in from Manchester to take me to Hereford, as a mere time wasting move (although first time in scoring Hereford on an ATW service). 175004 was the next service bound for Manchester which took me the bus stop leap (Hereford style) to Leominster. Another pretty little town, but my time was short before it was onto 175011 to take me to Abergavenny to clear the line from Newport to Shrewsbury. A place which seemed to bring back memories of various school trips to the Brecons, as the local council owned an old farmhouse which the local school used to do long weekend trips. Anyhow, it wasn’t long before 175103 rolled in from Holyhead to take me back to Newport, where I stepped back a train onto a busy 150124 from Taunton to take me to Cardiff Central, which was in a bit of chaos due to various HSTs being cancelled due to a signal failure around Swindon (so Cardiff – Swansea was reduced to roughly 1 train an hour, with a lot of passengers from that 150 dashing across the platform to board 175103 which was bound for Maesteg.

The next Swansea bound service was a local stopper from Ebbw Vale Town, which did empty out a lot at Cardiff, and was thankfully formed of 3 coaches. Low mileage 153367 was leading 150230; I found getting a seat in the 153 with ease, not so sure about the 150. This service runs fast to Bridgend and the 153 was very vocal doing some 75 mph running, made better with having the window open due to it being a warm day. I alighted at Pyle to clear Paddington to Swansea, and had a short walk over the long footbridge (I knew I had time to spare as a 66 had just passed hauling some stuff), before a rammed 175007 rolled up. It was standing to Bridgend where I bailed with the aim of boarding that 175 returning from Maestag, however I noticed a few empty seats in the other coach so instead reboarded 007, asking someone to move their bag and took a seat for the run to Cardiff Central.

A quick walk over to platform 6 to board 143614 for the short hop to Cardiff Queen Street in order to check into my hostel (which for the first time since March 14, I was in a dorm room, mainly due to cost reasons, with Cardiff being one expensive city to stay in). I returned to the station, having checked in, dropping off some weight (mainly clothes) and swinging via Tesco Metro in the “Capitol Centre” before 150253 returned me down the hill to Cardiff Central. Where due to the lack of HSTs my plans were a bit bare, however the appearance of winner 150265 (final 150/2) on the 19:52(ish) Bristol service, meant a quick hop to Newport was in order, where I intercepted a late running 142082 from Cheltenham, and seeing as this is the service from Maesteg which goes via Ninian Park on its return journey I decided to remain on board all the way to the end of the line, on a extremely vocal 142!

A quick turnaround at Maesteg meant that 142082 got away 10 minutes late, so another vocal performance, passing a pair of 150s waiting patiently at Bridgend for us to clear the line. On approach to Cardiff city, the pacer slowed down, stopping to allow a 175 to pass before turning right onto the single track linking the main line with the City Line, scoring me Leckwith Loop (another PSUL move into my book). Once at Cardiff Central, after a quick check at a couple other units (both dud), it was to Cardiff Queen Street on a busy 150241, walking to the hostel for a semi-good night sleep.

2 new units (which to be honest was 2 more than I was expecting), with 8 new shacks into my book so a good day, here be some pictures, mainly of hippos:
Pontypool & New Inn:


Cwmbran:


Craven Arms:


Church Stretton:


Another hippo at Ludlow:


A hippo:
p03dtkw2.jpg


Leominster:


Abergavenny:


Not a hippo!


Old sign on a road bridge north of Cardiff Queen Street:


Ah 150265 we meet at last:


A picture to wind Jamie up, 142082 at Maesteg ;)
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
Excellent couple of reports Kite.
How old is the Valley Lines sign would you say?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top