• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,842
Location
Nowhere Heath
An incredibly busy Saturday there Kite, and many congratulations on being so very close to clearing the 150s. Another class I'm not even close to clearing yet.

Some ultra familiar sights there in the photos, some very familiar shacks :lol:

I can't agree with your liking of Leominster though :lol::lol::lol: Yeah some of it looks nice, but in general it's a dump of a place that the rest of the county try to avoid. "It could be worse, you could live in Leominster!" being just one way of expressing our dislike of it. The only good thing about Leominster is the station to get away from it!

The line north of Craven Arms is nicer in terms of scenery, although the bit around Abergavenny is also nice. Wooferton definitely isn't nice, not with all those massive pylons!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
30th April – Exploring South Wales, Day 2

I missed a trick with this day (a fault with this trip being a combination of a couple other plans), however with a semi-good night sleep, I left a couple hung over people with their sore heads in the room with a short walk in the morning breeze. The first London service was a dud HST, with 150002 sat on the opposite platform with an early morning Portsmouth service. The first Manchester was a busy looking 175112 so I hung around making use of the station WiFi, turning down required 150916 which would be on the next Portsmouth as it gave a timetabled +2 at Newport (easy for P3 to P2, but knowing my luck it would have rolled into P4), so without the risk of messing up the remainder of my day I hopped onto 43070 & 43017 for my first HST action of the weekend.

(So close, yet so far)

At Newport, it was an early arrival, as I took a seat on 175005 (noting that it is currently formed of one coach from 004 and one coach from 005), kicking myself as that 150 would have given a +5 (seemed services are timed for the freight lines between Cardiff & Newport). However life goes on as the 175 departed towards Cardiff, where it was the first westbound departure so it was busy with passengers heading home after a night out on the drink, plus day trippers. A reversal at Swansea and I alighted at my first new shack of the day at the re-doubled Gowerton.



I didn’t have long to fester before the first (of two) Shrewsbury bound services rolled in, formed of 150254, taking a backwards facing seat due to the reversal at Llanelli for a very relaxing trip up the Heart of Wales line, not the busiest of trains, but it did pick up a few passengers along the way, but I was the only person alighting at the former junction station at Builth Road, with the time spent walking down to the bridge to picture the route the former Mid Wales line would have taken, plus looking at the timetable poster forming an idea on how to clear the remainder of the line.



I signalled to the driver of 150227 to stop, but he was stopping anyway to allow another passenger to alight from the train, saying hello to the same guard, I took another good seat on the opposite side to enjoy the views once more, carrying on to Gowerton once more (as a mileage grab). 175101 rolled in 6 minutes later bound for Milford Haven (I believe this service sits at Swansea for a good 25 minutes), where I was thinking which of the 4 shacks to bail at on the Milford Haven ‘branch’ (I know 2 are shared with the Fishy trains, but they are mostly served by Haven trains), eventually deciding at Carmarthen where the train reversed and the guard changed to request a stop at Clarbeston Road, where I alighted with one other passenger.



This is the junction station where the double track ends, with a single track line to Fishguard Harbour carries on with the single track line to Milford Haven peels away to the left, but there isn’t much in the way around the station, so with rain on the horizon I took a seat in the little waiting shelter to waste the hour I had at the station. With the last 10 minutes spent outside the shelter due to a pair of smokers deciding to remain smoking once inside the shelter (in a group of 5). I was thankful when 175101 returned from Milford Haven to take me to Carmarthen where it terminated forcing me to travel back to Cardiff on 43131 & 43091 (which also clears this part of the GWR network for HST coverage). Reversal at Swansea and with nothing better to do I carried on bailing at Cardiff Central, my original plan was to head to Newport, but in the end after swinging via Tesco Express to grab a bite to eat, I decided to call it a night with 150279 taking me round the corner to Queen Street.



Cardiff Queen Street was dead, the above image shows the departures board (this was around 21:21), I think there was a couple more trains departing towards the valleys around 22:20, but it was odd seeing the departure screen so empty. Anyhow I walked back to the hostel, where I was alone allowing me to sort my bag out, more people came in drips and draps over the remainder of the night, but overall another semi-good night sleep (marked down by having rubbish blinds).

1st May – Exploring West Wales, Day 3

I woke up and was out of the hostel around 05:45, risking my life walking via the city centre where it seemed to be a race track for cyclists, and dodging the “up all night” drunks, popping via Tesco Express for a breakfast before heading to Cardiff Central for the early morning Pembroke Dock train. The screens were coming up as “formed of 1 coach” so I knew I would be in store for some Dog Box Thrash as high mileage 153320 rolled in. A very lightly loaded service, as it called at Ninian Park rejoining the main line via the Leckwith Loop [at least I’ve done it both directions!], running fast to Bridgend before forming a stopping service to Swansea.

A quick reversal and the dogbox formed a stopping service towards Carmarthen, being the first time I believe I’ve called at the super evil looking Kidwelly and nice looking Ferryside (makes a note that Kidwelly is at least a +5). In theory you could have a fast walk from Saundersfoot to Kilgetty as this service sits at Tenby for a good 10 minutes (Google Maps doesn’t show a shortcut which uses a subway underneath the A477), but is possible to grab 2 shacks in one [just beware the road where Saundersfoot station comes down to is a little narrow country lane, so one to avoid during the hours of darkness]. Anyhow my original plan had me doing that walk, but as I had the world’s heaviest bag I decided to stay on until Tenby



A nice footbridge at the Pembroke end of the station, plus barrow crossings at either end of the platforms, connections are easy enough here due to the trains having to swap the tokens for the single line sections. It wasn’t a long wait before 150245 (complete with square buttons!) rolled in to take me one stop back up the line to Saundersfoot, which is a very basic shack located a good couple miles from the village of the same name [just how did this shack manage to stay open when Mr B was doing his cuts?].



I set off for my first walk of the day, taking roughly 22 minutes to reach Kilgetty, spotting a little Co-Op on the high street which I used to purchase a couple extra items, before heading underneath the railway and up the ramp to reach Kilgetty station. Featuring a nice little shelter (that brick thing), I settled down with my iPod on to read the newspaper and relax for my hour fester:



150259 was the next Pembroke Dock service, which I took to Pembroke, missing out on a big trick not bailing at Lamphey and walking to Pembroke [allows me to explore this little town featuring an old castle], anyhow I had Google Maps up and running, for a nice gentle 1 and a bit mile walk along a pavement [apart from a small section at the end] to reach Lamphey station, nothing much around the station other than a couple upmarket looking hotels. I took a seat and relaxed waiting for that 150 to return.



Guess what, it was 150259 which rolled back into Lamphey, requesting for the train to call at Penally, which was a busy little station on the outskirts of Tenby (near a golf course, plus an army firing range). Note for future reference that Penally has a toilet block and is meant to be a nice 3 and a bit mile walk round the coast to reach Manorbier, however I allowed 150245 to take the stress for the hop to this level crossing shack (a required call both ways).




As the picture shows, there was a massive pile of ballast, but not a lot else, other than a nice waiting shelter with a decent proper bench, allowing me to relax for my fester before 150245 returned from Pembroke Dock. The line has nearly been cleared, just leaves Narbeth to do at the Whitland end (a job for Saturday), but it is an enjoyable little branch line, just slow in places. I was glad when the mainline was reached and the 150 put in a good performance reversing at Carmarthen before terminating into Swansea, with a cross platform change onto the Paddington bound HST, formed of 43181 & 43030 (I’m having rubbish luck with HSTs this weekend).

A good run to Cardiff Central, for another cross platform interchange onto the Portsmouth bound service formed of 158961 to take me to Salisbury, spent having a catching up session on the internet. No winners today (only need 175003 to clear ATW), but the Pembroke Dock line is nearly cleared and hopefully Saturday should see the remaining 6 shacks West of Swansea [bar Heart of Wales line] into my book, making use of the 4th day on my rover.

Thank you for reading, I hope to have a summary of April up at some point next week :)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
A Random Summary of April

This month started off where March ended, mainly in Hull, where I had a Saturday with the bike to visit the shacks in East (and North) Yorkshire, starting with Saltmarshe, scoring a pair of 158s in the process, with the Sunday being a little trip to London for some Piccadilly & Central line hunting, having a reasonably productive day with my red pen.

A rare mid-week trip to London followed to have a social with Techniquest & BT, just a gentle ponder to visit the bay platform at Hayes & Harlington, plus the next platform at West Ealing, the highlight being scoring my final S8s by accident.

The 8th April was the repeat of the “Andover Fisk” tour, which had previously derailed in Southampton, however there wasn’t any repeats as I covered the line to Southampton Eastern Docks, Fawley & Ludgershall, scoring a 66 in the process. The Sunday was a lazy day trip to Exeter, to revisit the Dawlish banks, ready for a busy week before Easter.

The 11th April saw an early morning trip to London to score the PSUL move of the line which bypasses Gospel Oak to join the NLL, with a good run behind 68011 to Birmingham Moor Street, a little trip to Stourbridge Town to have another ride on a 139, plus a reasonable run on a 323 for some starship thrash. Sadly my last 390 was in Manchester and 153 was hiding in the depot, however my day wasn’t a big waste with scoring my last Midland Metro tram, plus a 168/3 for renumbering.

The Thursday was a trip to Greater Anglia land, a good run on a 365 for some motor noise, followed by a detour to Marks Tey to score my last GA 156 before getting caught up in a farce when the 37 hauled set broke down at Lowestoft, reducing my 68 haulage to just Brundall to Norwich (and back). Some 317 motor noise making up for the loss of the loco haulage, but I still was a bit unhappy as I was looking forward to another good run on some 68s.

Good Friday saw me scoring platform 6 at Woking, with a bit of a farce involving a gapped 455 at Guildford, sending a 450 via Cobham. An enjoyable little trip within LU, scoring a few units with a little random run to Chingford, plus some 700s into the book, as well as another 43 to get back to Reading, meant my pen wasn’t down for long, although my Piccadilly line festering wasn’t the best.

Easter Saturday was a trip to Sheffield, where I hoped to score my last 2 trams, 111 popped up early on but 118 was sat on the depot, made worse by having to turn down a required 158 working the Sheffield – York service due to being booked to Nottingham on the Salisbury Exile. 2 out of 3 trams entered my book in Nottingham, but 218 was sat on the depot so a return is required. I made use of my time to visit the new Ilkeston station to reclear EMT.

The Sunday was a late booking, making use of a flash VTEC sale making a day return to Leeds being £10. I was over the moon as 91114 was hauling my service to Leeds, where a 158 was picked up on a hop to Bingley, followed by a visit to Low Moor, before a nice little trip to Wakefield on a GC 180 to re-cover the line before scoring my 2nd last VTEC 43, with an unexpected EMT HST set back to London. I decided to have the Monday at home (ended up walking the dog & taking the niece/nephew out for a walk on Salisbury Plain).

The following Friday saw the last public service of the D78 stock, on a nice run from Bromley to Ealing, followed by a short Central line hunting session, before a DLR session where I scored an unit, time wasting on Thameslink before my first 92 haulage on the seated sleeper to Edinburgh, scoring another 90 from Carstairs on a little trip to Scotland to visit some shacks, including the very limited served Springfield & Breich. My last VTEC 43 fell without trying, followed by clearing both 320s & 318s on Dalmuir – Partick runs, with a few other units falling into my book, including the completely unexpected clearance of the 170s.

The Sunday was a time wasting day, scoring two more Edinburgh trams, but mainly enjoying myself looking out of the window before a 91 pushing me back to London. The following Friday saw a trip to Birmingham to finally land 153365 on a Moor Street – Smethwick working, sadly my 68 haulage was replaced by 220 action to New Street following an incident on the line.

The bank holiday weekend was spent with a trip to Wales, visiting the shacks on the Marches line, plus a few others on an enjoyable weekend (which will be continued in my review of May).

In summary a quite busy month, but quite productive, looking ahead to May sees a FOSS weekend (mainly for track re-coverage), a trip to Manchester to do the 2CC (plus hopefully some required units), followed by my main holiday, a week in Scotland [a few days in Edinburgh before heading to Inverness]

April in numbers

6447 miles covered (beat my 2016 figure), 16041 miles to end of month
30 new shacks
21 new units (1x 150, 1x 153, 2x 156, 4 x 158, 1x 168/3, 3x 170, 1x 175, 1x 318, 1x 320, 1x 380, 5x 700
9 new locos (3 x 43, 1x 66, 2x 68, 1 x 90, 1x 91, 1x 92)
41 new LU stuff & Trams
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
5 out of shacks on the pembrook Dock branch in 1 day gives myself and Mr quest hope for our wanderings in the area next month where I need all 3 branches and he needs 6 shacks. We have the advantage on you where we are starting early doors from Cardif having both positioned there the night before and also we dont have to leave west Wales that night as we have hotel accommodation in Pembrook Dock so can keep going til its all done.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,842
Location
Nowhere Heath
Kite, it has to be said I'm jealous that you've nearly (and are about to actually) conquered West Wales.

I've never figured out how Saundersfoot (or indeed the branch in general, especially beyond Tenby) survived the Beeching Axe. I'm assuming alternative transport was ridiculously poor or non-existant, a situation I believe is not much better these days down that way.

You certainly have got me excited for my trip down the Pembroke Dock branch, and I get the advantage of an HST along it when I go down. Yes it won't be the same without the Valentas and VP185s, nor the same First Class experience I had way back when, but it will do. I'll just fire up the imagination!

A single 153 rushing down the South Wales Main Line must be just bizarre, even at that time of day!
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
Excellent South and West Wales reports. I notice you travelled on the single 153 on 0642 Cardiff to Pembroke and that it was lightly loaded. The date tells me that it was the May Day Holiday but on a normal day it has been the subject of overcrowding since it was recently changed from a 150 to 153
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
5 out of shacks on the pembrook Dock branch in 1 day gives myself and Mr quest hope for our wanderings in the area next month where I need all 3 branches and he needs 6 shacks. We have the advantage on you where we are starting early doors from Cardif having both positioned there the night before and also we dont have to leave west Wales that night as we have hotel accommodation in Pembrook Dock so can keep going til its all done.

That is probably a better idea as you don't have to worry about returning, Pembroke Dock is a nice little town, brings back memories of when I did the branch for coverage in June a few years ago and it was a glorious evening weather wise, sitting on a grass bank overlooking the harbour area

Kite, it has to be said I'm jealous that you've nearly (and are about to actually) conquered West Wales.

I've never figured out how Saundersfoot (or indeed the branch in general, especially beyond Tenby) survived the Beeching Axe. I'm assuming alternative transport was ridiculously poor or non-existant, a situation I believe is not much better these days down that way.

You certainly have got me excited for my trip down the Pembroke Dock branch, and I get the advantage of an HST along it when I go down. Yes it won't be the same without the Valentas and VP185s, nor the same First Class experience I had way back when, but it will do. I'll just fire up the imagination!

A single 153 rushing down the South Wales Main Line must be just bizarre, even at that time of day!

It's just an odd station, hasn't really got much of a car-park (a small layby which probably could hold 4 vehicles), access is only down a country lane so will be limited in walkers. How it survived with Kilgetty on its doorstep when other stations closed is a bit of a mystery.

Excellent South and West Wales reports. I notice you travelled on the single 153 on 0642 Cardiff to Pembroke and that it was lightly loaded. The date tells me that it was the May Day Holiday but on a normal day it has been the subject of overcrowding since it was recently changed from a 150 to 153

I would imagine that service would have got cosy nearer Swansea on a regular weekday seeing as it calls at the Swanline stations. There was a reasonable load emptying out once at Swansea on Monday, not that many passengers remaining on board to carry on to the west.

Enjoyable reads there! Hugely productive month, even by your standards!

Thanks Noddy
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Holy moly you've been busy! That sounds like a brilliant trip to Wales, with many winner shacks. Getting 142082 though when you could've got a tram to Cardiff? Crazy!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
Holy moly you've been busy! That sounds like a brilliant trip to Wales, with many winner shacks. Getting 142082 though when you could've got a tram to Cardiff? Crazy!

Apart from who knew when the next HST would have been, and how busy it would have been?

Services were either showing as cancelled or delayed so it was better playing it safe to get that PSUL move into my book [as it is one which requires an overnight stay unless you get lucky with engineering works diverting trains that way]
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
5th May – Returning to Cardiff... the long way round

Because after all a 158 direct to Cardiff gets boring after a while ;)

In all fairness, I was worried my plan for this trip would collapse onto itself when I arrived at Salisbury station to find nowhere to park, however in the end I managed to get a parking space with ease, it was just the heavy traffic causing me the issues. My plan for today was a mere positioning move to Cardiff, however I had a crazy idea for the Sunday which involved use of a FOSS rover so I decided to revisit some lines I haven’t covered for a fair while.

My first train of the day was the 15:40 towards Cardiff Central, formed of a busy 158953,but I managed to get a decent seat for the short run towards Westbury (which itself a nice little run via the countryside of Salisbury Plain), crossing over platform to take a seat on a green 153370 working the next service towards Swindon, so after the junction I was onto ‘new’ old track via Melksham where I bailed at Chippenham for a HST due in around 5 minutes, which was formed of 43189/43023 to take me to Swindon for a short-ish connection to the other platform for the next Swansea bound HST.

In rolled the green set, with 43005 leading and 43002 on the rear (finally I can clear 43002 for over a mile!). As expected for the time of day it was slightly busy so once at Bristol Parkway my original plan to jump on the Gloucester bound GWR service was binned (as it would probably have been busy) in exchange for a trip to Cheltenham Spa on my first XC HST of the weekend with 43321/43357 doing the honours. Once at Cheltenham Spa I had roughly 25 minutes to kill before the next Gloucester bound service (which wasn’t a 170), so I popped out to visit the little Co-Op...

...only to find it gone, thankfully after a brief walk I spotted a Tesco Express which served me well for food, before I returned to the station. The first service was a dud HST which I turned down on grounds of wanting to secure a prime seat on the next ATW service (secretly hoping it would produce a pacer), but alas it was 150229 (wasn’t even a low mileage 150, seeing as I’ve got a few ATW 150s in my book on tiny Central – Queen Street leaps), however I managed to get a good table seat at the front for the run down the banks of the River Severn (which is a pretty line).

The guard mentioned that after Chepstow the train could get busy due to the races, however where the 150 gained some passengers it wasn’t that many, but I still bailed at Severn Tunnel Junction to have a short fester (noticing the new-ish looking footbridge/ramp combo when crossing over to the platform serving Cardiff bound services from the tunnel). 150127 was in charge of the next Cardiff service from Taunton which I took for nearly 10 miles to Newport for a short wait before another HST was due (with the option of heading back to Tunnel Junction to intercept the voyager), however that option wasn’t needed as I managed to ID the rear 43 (which isn’t that easy at Newport due to the existence of a fence blocking access to the “old” part of the station). 43017 was leading winner 43071 which took me in comfort to Cardiff Central.

I leapt onto the next London bound HST without checking the numbers (it was 43197/43137) to return back to Newport, with 220026 to take me back to Cardiff (I know I could have waited 15 minutes for the next HST or 20 minutes for the next 175, but I was feeling a tad tired and with an early start wanted to try and locate the hostel for the night). It was an enjoyable ride back to Cardiff where after a quick photo to annoy Quinn (:lol:), it was following the map to the YHA hostel. A nicer building and rooms compared to last week, but I prefer the beds.



In summary, a nice enough little ponder to Cardiff via Swindon & Cheltenham Spa getting some HST speed for some coverage of lesser travelled lines, the main event would begin with the Milford Haven stopping service on Saturday morning
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,842
Location
Nowhere Heath
A nicely different way of getting to Cardiff, quite different to the usual more sensible way!

I've just looked, and I have indeed got Newport to Cardiff on a 220, 220025 and I did it twice in 2005! Sadly my journey on a 221 between Cardiff and Bristol (well it could have been a 220 mind) appears to have been way too early in my enthusiast career to be recorded!
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
So how did you manage to get 43002 for less than a mile before? I can think of only one move that it may have done. A diversion move via Honiton and you had it between Exeter St Davids and Central? Intriguing!
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Voyager from Newport to Cardiff?! 15 minute wait for a tram and you go for a voyager?! *explodes* ;)

Sounds like a funky positioning move there, and it's certainly more fun than the regular one. I also had 189 and 023 that day, strangely enough.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
6th May – Exploring West Wales, Day 4

After a semi-alright night in the hostel, I was quiet as a mouse leaving the room and walking back to Cardiff Central, for I was using the 4th day on my South Wales rover, and wanted a nice early start in order to grab some more request stops. The first westbound service rolled in from the depot (well was two units, with the 175 on the other end going to Manchester), as the first Milford Haven service was formed of 175112, which was moderately loaded (mainly some hung over “all-nighters” headed home), but was a service which called at all stations (apart from Kidwelly, nobody requested that one).

Eventually the service rolled into Carmarthen were I popped to the station shop for a newspaper, before heading for a short walk to try and wake myself up a bit, before returning to board 175002 requesting my first new shack of the day at Ferryside. I’m guessing in years gone past there used to be some sort of ferry service from this area, but this morning was quiet, just the old style signals and lovely signal box (as visited by Paul Merton a few years ago I believe). The sound of the level crossing going down [don’t worry there is a bridge] signalled the arrival of sub-10 mile 150262 which was bound for Pembroke Dock.



At Carmarthen it attached itself to 150217 for the short trip to Whitland where the 150s had a massive falling out as 217 wanted to go to Fishguard but 262 wanted to carry on to Pembroke. It wasn’t a pretty sight (only joking), anyhow after departure from Whitland the 150 turned left onto the single track branchline as I alighted at the first stop of Narberth. A nice looking station with a decent canopy (as the picture shows), a lot of housing and an industrial area but nothing else to report, so I sat down on a low bench under the canopy to await the arrival of the 09:57 to Swansea.



In bounced one of Mr Quinn’s all time favourite units, as somehow 143604 had escaped from the Valley Lines, but I wasn’t on the pacer for that long before I bailed at Whitland, home of the rubbish connection (most of the time the train from Pembroke Dock arrives ~ 5 minutes after a train towards Milford Haven has gone, in an ideal world the trains for Milford Haven would be pushed back 10 minutes to allow passengers to make said connection). Anyhow mini-rant over, here be a picture of a pacer:


The next Milford Haven service arrived, and was formed of 2 coaches, sadly 003 continued its avoidance game with 175001 taking me to Johnston (not to be confused with Johnstone in Scotland), a nice basic single platform, another industrial estate nearby but more importantly a little shop in order I could purchase something rather cold (and something to munch on). It was a short fester before 175001 would return from the Haven bound for Manchester to take me to Clunderwen, which is on the two track section shared with Fishguard trains. It is a good +5 between platforms via a road bridge (looked like in days of old a barrow crossing was in existence) so beware of any tight connections.



Nothing much around the station (mainly houses), so I took up a seat in the little waiting shelter [I save up newspapers to read] before the next Milford Haven service rolled in, the first I believe to arrive from Manchester, and was an odd surprise for it was my first ATW 158 of the rover, 158831, which took me back onto the branch to the pretty station of Haverfordwest. This station might have two platforms, but I believe the 2nd is only used by a tiny number of services a day. Anyhow with an hour to kill before the 158 would return I headed to the town centre to a Morrisons to pick up lunch (beware the pedestrian access route is a bit dodgy in places [in terms of having to cross the road on a blind junction]. Picking up supplies I returned to the station to have a short wait for the 158 to return:


I managed to grab a table seat and my phone was thankful for a quick boost of electricity from the plug sockets as the train returned to the main-line, reversed at Carmarthen and dropped me off at Pembrey & Burry Port with a few minutes to spare before the next Carmarthen bound service. 175006 would be having the honours of taking me back 5 miles to Kidwelly, my final shack which sees GWR services pass. Beware this station is super evil to change platforms, long access paths with a level crossing thrown in for good measures (as well as being a request stop!), served 2-hourly off-peak so just be careful as you need a good 5 minutes, if not more, to be safe, as you never know a 150 from Fishguard might come rushing through.



My connection was a reasonable 40 minutes, but nothing much of note around the station which I could see, so I returned to the little waiting shelter, before shifting to sit on a bench in the sunshine as 175006 returned from Carmarthen. The next London bound HST at Swansea was dud so I stayed on board the 175 until Cardiff, swapping over platforms onto a Taunton bound 150248, as it was time to switch rovers to take me to Bristol Temple Meads on an extremely vocal 150, needless to say I was looking forward to the tunnel.

Once at Bristol Temple Meads, nothing required was spotted (next 2 HSTs were both dud, so was a HST bound for Paignton) 158763 was pretending to be heading to the Exhibition Centre on a limited stop service, as it was waiting for a delayed 150 from Gloucester to be taken on a little trip to Westbury (where the 150 would continue to Weymouth). With nothing better to do I jumped on a freshly refurbished 158951 (very shiny it was) to Westbury where I had a rough 15 minute wait before 150108 rolled in from the sidings on a short “Westbury – Southampton Central” working to take me to Salisbury, where it did feel strange finishing a bash so early compared to normal.



Anyhow a productive day for me, shack wise with the “West Wales” lines cleared, sadly that 175 didn’t produce but it was always going to be a shack day

---------

7th May – A lazy Sunday

The idea of today (and reason for buying the FOSS on Friday) was to have a lazy day, recovering lines I haven’t been along for a while, so making use of the weekend parking ticket I drove to Salisbury and parked in the station (normally I would have gone to either Romsey or parked on the side of the road at Salisbury). The first southbound service was in the hands of 158885 which I decided to take to Romsey (first time I’ve called at Dean & Mottisfont for ages) mainly because I hadn’t had this 158 this year yet.

Once at Romsey that 158 would reach Southampton the longer way round (via Eastleigh) as I stepped back onto 158886 to head to Southampton Central via Redbridge. Over the footbridge to platform 4 where the Fab 444018 was waiting on the next Weymouth service, I grabbed a table seat in the leading coach and started the first of my many “looking out of the window” trips, via the New Forest and Dorset heath, it was a nice relaxing trip to the end of the line at Weymouth, where I popped out to a nearby tesco to pick up supplies for later.

I’m pretty sure this is the first time I have used the short platform 1 at Weymouth, as 150246 rolled in with 153373 on the back, needless to say I took up a seat in the 153 for some DBT as it was bound for Westbury via the Heart of Wessex line. A very enjoyable trip heading north, pausing briefly at Chetnole to pick up one passenger, but nobody at either Yetminster or Thornford, but the danger music was on after Yeovil Pen Mill due to an extended dwell caused by a lot of passengers. At Castle Cary the HST was already in on platform 1, so it was a dive over the footbridge, no idea what power cars were on this busy service from Penzance (many bags in the doorways). I sat down for the enjoyable 20 and a half mile run to Westbury, which was quite busy with all 3 platforms in use.

Checking the numbers, I was happy because winner 43174 was on the front and dud 43063 was on the rear, an unexpected winner. This set appeared to have a First Class coach pretending to be coach F (lucky for anybody going for a long distance), however it was in reverse formation, along with 43172 & 43170 on the next westbound service. Lightly loaded compared to the previous service for the trip westwards via East Somerset, a nice way to spend some time watching the countryside before reaching Taunton where I had a tight connection to a XC bound for Edinburgh.

Thankfully I easily made the connection at Taunton (option B would have been a trip to Tiverton Parkway on the following HST to wait time before the next XC service). I took up a seat on 43384 & 43285, noting that the reservation screens had failed with most seats having GWR reservation labels (which did cause confusion at Bristol). Anyhow it was an enjoyable trip north, pausing for a good 20 minutes at Bristol Temple Meads before the HST turned right to head towards Bath.

Pausing to pick up passengers at Bath Spa before running non-stop to Swindon (felt strange storming through Chippenham on a HST), reversing on platform 1 to head towards Cheltenham Spa via the Golden Valley Line, all this time I was looking out of the window at the passing scenery, on a table seat which had been booked from Totnes to Cheltenham Spa (group of no-shows). Once at Cheltenham Spa, I exited the HST and crossed over to the opposite platform with the square buttoned 150245 taking me to Gloucester. The next Cheltenham bound HST was running late, but was dud so after witnessing some idiotic passengers moaning that the 2-hourly ATW service was held for them (can’t win with some people!), I boarded 150130 bound for Swindon.

A quick scan of RTT highlighted that the next Bristol bound HST was running a couple minutes late, and with the 150 arriving a couple minutes early, it made it possible for me to make a tight connection onto 43124 leading 43141 (found out it was 43141 on the rear) for a speedy run to Bath Spa, with its rebuilt platforms and new track layout (the large gap between lines isn’t so wide anymore). Another tight connection was made onto a busy 150238 bound for Weymouth, calling at Freshford & Avoncliff for the first time in a fair while. I bailed at Westbury, with the Brighton bound 158 sat on platform 1 waiting for a guard who was caught up in delays (caused by a trespasser around Fratton).

The next Bristol bound 158 was running fast to Bath Spa due to late running (it was around 38 minutes late at this time), with another 158 behind it from Brighton picking up the additional calls. Nothing else around as I jumped onto a warm 158958 to Warminster, with 158955 taking me back to Westbury as a time wasting move as I had spotted the next Portsmouth service was “Timed for 75mph max” which seemed to suggest it could be a 150 (as the 158s are timed for 90 mph), and I was correct in my theory that it was a 150. Sadly it was a busy 150202 (complete with the luxurious 3+2 airline seating), but for the 2nd time in 2 days I was arriving into Salisbury on a 150.

Overall a good little random day spent mainly looking out of the window, relaxing and chilling out :). Next Saturday is a voyager of discovery to Manchester to do the 2nd City Crossing, plus having a unit hunt (with the theory that if the cards fall in my favour I could be clearing 4 classes!) Currently both Friday & Sunday are unknowns (potential of a trip to Bristol on Friday if some of my required 150s are floating around and are gettable), anyhow thanks for reading :)
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
It's nice doing route you've not done for ages just because you can! Even better when you pick up a winner in the process.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Nice little weekend there Sir, there is 1 HST with XC running around with a broken touch screan in the TM's office meaning the reservation system is stuffed. Iv had it twice with the same TM both times and he is rather brassed off that its not yet been fixed lol

didnt realise there were any 150s with as built buttons still about, nice and retro!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,842
Location
Nowhere Heath
Congratulations on clearing West Wales, not at all jealous! ;)

Certainly a nice and easy day on the FoSS too, and an unexpected winner is always welcome. 6 more GWR power cars to go isn't it now?

I'm rather behind on clearing 2CC, but I intend to do so at the end of June if not before then :)
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
Very interesting trips in West Wales and good reading. A Pacer is booked on the Pembroke Dock Branch on a Saturday and the 150 which attaches at Bristol TM for Portsmouth Hbr returns strengthening 0908 Portsmouth Hbr to Cardiff on the Sunday.
A ferry used to operate between Ferryside and Llansteffan but petered out back in the 50's resulting a road trip via Carmarthen, a journey of some 15 miles.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
Looking at RTT the 19:18 Westbury - Southampton service returns to Bristol as the 21:27 Southampton - Bristol so it won't be the unit attaching at Bristol to the 20:30 Cardiff - Portsmouth service [to form that first Cardiff service on the Sunday]

Mmm highish speed pacer action (which just remember that I did once have a 142 a few years back on a Llaneli - Pembrey leap when doing the Newport - Fishguard train which uses the Swansea avoiding chord near the depot)

-----------

Aye 6x GWR 43s left, I better get my deckchair out ready for festering at Reading ;)
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
Looking at RTT the 19:18 Westbury - Southampton service returns to Bristol as the 21:27 Southampton - Bristol so it won't be the unit attaching at Bristol to the 20:30 Cardiff - Portsmouth service [to form that first Cardiff service on the Sunday]

Mmm highish speed pacer action (which just remember that I did once have a 142 a few years back on a Llaneli - Pembrey leap when doing the Newport - Fishguard train which uses the Swansea avoiding chord near the depot)

-----------

Aye 6x GWR 43s left, I better get my deckchair out ready for festering at Reading ;)

I think the Portsmouth attachment is formed off the 2008 arrival ex Taunton
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,950
Location
Devon
I've just enjoyed catching up on your various trips, especially the ones around Wales. Good stuff Kite. Just since I've been reading these reports you seem to have cleared so much stuff.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Sounds like a great couple of days! I like the tram action too ;)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
Today I've been mainly exiting 150263 via a local door due to a time wasting move


Mainly to be in a position to say hello (again) to:


(150916 into my book of haulage, just 150120 & 150126 left to clear the GWR 150s... until the centre coach of 925 is inserted into another unit to form another hybrid)
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
Just watch it appear on either the 0910 Bristol Temple Meads to Portsmouth Harbour or 1508 Portsmouth Harbour to Bristol Temple Meads on Sunday if I head to the Island known as Wight :P.

The decision will be made based what time I get home tomorrow, if I can make a tight +4 at Basingstoke, although I am still being pulled by a trip to Plymouth, to re-visit the Gunnislake branch.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top