• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
A couple of enjoyable trips there! Poor luck on the 37s failing! Sounds like a couple of trips i made going after the Cumbrian ones!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,848
Location
West of Andover
16th April – A late booking to Leeds

Originally my plan for Easter Sunday was to have a bit of a lazy day, but when it got mentioned VTEC had a “Hot Cakes” snap sale on the Wednesday I managed to pick up a return trip to Leeds for £10, giving me an excuse to visit Low Moor now rather than in May (hence allowing me to remain in Manchester area, maybe crossing over the great divide to Liverpool if I get news of my last 2x 507s being out). Anyhow it was a later start than the last couple days with a walk to the station for the 07:39 service formed of 159004 & 159017 calling additionally at Surbiton on route to Waterloo, taking a mere 20 minutes to cover the last 3 miles from Clapham Junction due to waiting for a platform.

No Victoria line today so it was to the Northern Line with 51611/51610 taking me onwards to Leicester Square with 186/149 taking me to Kings Cross St Pancras, exiting the station with some time to spare before the 10:10 service to Leeds was announced. DVT 82200 was on the rear as I had my usual walk to the front to ID which 91 (or even 90 if I got lucky!) it would be hauling me to Leeds, my eyes lit up when I saw the name-plate...


Winner and final 91, 91114 would be hauling me to Leeds this morning. I changed seats in an empty coach D to be on the left hand side, to get out of the sunshine when I watched a movie on my tablet, smiling as the hunt was finally over. A couple hours later I had finished the movie and we were in a wet West Yorkshire, arriving into Leeds on time, my original plan involved catching the Nottingham service to Wakefield Kirkgate for a 180 onward to Low Moor with a Halifax – Leeds service a few minutes behind, however after purchasing my rover, that plan went into the bin with the appearance of a required 158 working a Carlisle service.

Forming a new plan, I jumped on 333002 for some 333 speed to Burley in Wharfdale before heading towards Shipley on 333010, enjoying looking out of the window on a line less travelled. At Shipley I had a 15 minute fester before winner 158793 rolled up on the short hop to Bingley, returning to Leeds on 150115 working a service from Morecambe. My plan almost went up in flames again as a required 43 rolled in, however it would depart to Neville Hill and could have formed either the 16:45, 17:45 or 18:45 services to London. Asking the Virgin staff they said it would be the set from Harrogate, the 17:45, which made me happy as I could do the following move. The next Manchester Victoria & Blackpool service was dud so I jumped onto 144016 for the run to Bradford Interchange, reversing to call at Low Moor.



A nice enough station, featuring lifts which a gang of youths were attempting to break, but with a chilly breeze and rain in the air, I was happy when the following Grand Central service rolled in to allow me to escape!


180107 would be doing the honours for the run to Wakefield Kirkgate, making use of the plug sockets and window to look out at a part of the country I haven’t travelled for many years (Jan 15 I believe was the last time I used the bit of line from Mirfield towards Wakefield, passing many disused tracks and what looked to be an old sidings. Arrival into Wakefield Kirkgate was a few minutes early, allowing me the chance to explore the station (as the last time I was here it was still being done-up), listening to the nice relaxing classical music playing in the subway. 158859 arrived from Nottingham to take me back to Leeds, to complete my random round trip [hey at least I’m making use of my rover this time!].

Nothing else of note floating around the station, as I waited as 43312 returned from Harrogate with 43296 on the rear. Following a reversal it was out to Wakefield Westgate, having a slow walk across to the other platform to await an early running 91125 back to Leeds platform 1, DVT 82212 was on the rear, as I took a look at the HST forming the 18:45, double checking the screens to confirm the 18:45 was indeed on platform 8. For it wasn’t a VTEC HST, but a borrowed EMT set:


43083 was leading 43089, with the train manager saying sorry for the borrowed set lacking plug sockets, Virgin WiFi, no seat reservations and having a more limited retail offering. I guess the set VTEC had down for this service failed, and so rather than cancelling the service they borrowed an EMT set for the round trip (as it would return to Leeds on the 21:XX service). The service was in reverse formation with standard class leading, causing some confusion at stations with some grumpy FC customers having to walk to the rear, but those 43s sounded great from coach A (which caught a couple “must walk to the very front of the train for a quick exit at Kings Cross” out due to the front doors being for staff use only.

A right time arrival into Kings Cross, heading to the Sub Surface Line platform with 21511/21512 on a Circle line taking me to Baker Street, and 96019/96106 giving me some jubilee line action to Waterloo, exiting to grab dinner before waiting for the 22:15 to be unlocked, no repeat of the madness from Saturday as the train was already on the station and was formed of 159003 & (winner for 2017) 159103 for the trip back home to Grateley.

West Yorkshire completed for shacks once more, another northern 158 into the book (leaving just 794 & 796), one more VTEC 43 (just 43277 left), but the big score was 91114 popping up on a required move and in theory that 43 should be easier to get than the 91 (on an Edinburgh – Haymarket leap for example)

I did have a plan to head to London again on Easter Monday, but when I woke up in the morning I came over with a “can’t be bothered” mood, not even to do a random round trip, so indeed played Uncle disappearing to Salisbury Plain for a few hours allowing the dog to run round like a headless chicken.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Sounds like a right old mixed bag. Some winners, some near misses and some downers, thats bashing!

Where are the plugs hidden in First on the EMT/SWT 158s?
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,369
As we said on twitter the other day-those plugs are VERY well hidden on the 158s! Which 507s do you need? Shocked is an understatement to see you haven't cleared them! And give me a shout when yoi go for them:D
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,848
Location
West of Andover
As we said on twitter the other day-those plugs are VERY well hidden on the 158s! Which 507s do you need? Shocked is an understatement to see you haven't cleared them! And give me a shout when yoi go for them:D

507027 & 507029.

Heading up to Manchester area on the 13th May, not sure what rover I will be using

-----

Edit, it will probably be a GM Rail Rover, with a day return to Liverpool* if they do pop up [where to will be determined where those last 2 services are working] with an aim of getting a fast 319 one way with a TPE via Warrington the other way
 
Last edited:

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,369
507027 & 507029.

Heading up to Manchester area on the 13th May, not sure what rover I will be using

112.8875 and 58.8375 miles respectively :)
Thanks for the Manchester gen-I'll join if I'm around, not got anything booked for that weekend yet
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
A big shame the original fleet in Sheffield aren't quite cleared yet, so very close! Same for Nottingham, I'm still saving your seat in the 100% Cleared NET Club. My favourite festering spots are numerous on NET but one of my regulars was The Forest. Old Market Square is nice though, especially on a nice sunny day. I agree BK there is not quick, even when it's late evening and not that busy I had less than amazing service.

Congratulations on clearing the 91s, only one final step to go to clearing VTEC. Well, for now ;)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,848
Location
West of Andover
I would say The Royal probably is better than Old Market Square, only because there is a handy bench which can be used to fester on, with the trams normally having to wait time at the stop due to the road crossing :)

Although I suspect my trip in July will be sitting there waiting for any trams to repeat, before heading out for a spin to the end of the networks.

Fingers crossed that 43 pops up in Scotland, like your last 2 did. :)
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Are you bringging the Bike with you?

I do hope the weather is lousy, like it was back when me and Mr Quest did it!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,848
Location
West of Andover
Are you bringging the Bike with you?

I do hope the weather is lousy, like it was back when me and Mr Quest did it!

Nope, walking from Springfield to Cupar early morning (Springfield used to be easier to get with a +8 between the afternoon trains, now that be a +1)

Then Breich to Fauldhouse in the evening (making sure I've got my high viz jacket on for the section along the A71 which appears to have only a grass verge)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,848
Location
West of Andover
Lowland sleeper

Hopefully it won't be late into Edinburgh as I think it is a 30-odd minute connection with the 08:00 Edinburgh - Dundee which calls at Springfield. I will attempt to purchase the rover tonight from Euston to save a job for the morning

Fingers crossed for my first 92 haulage :)
 

37038

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2014
Messages
701
Lowland sleeper

Hopefully it won't be late into Edinburgh as I think it is a 30-odd minute connection with the 08:00 Edinburgh - Dundee which calls at Springfield. I will attempt to purchase the rover tonight from Euston to save a job for the morning

Fingers crossed for my first 92 haulage :)

92014 worked south last night on the lowland, I suspect it will return north
 

1D53

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2006
Messages
2,894
That Sunday Leeds to Kings Cross is booked for an EMT set, it's usually formed of the afternoon arrival from St Pancras.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Congrats on finally getting 91114! It sounds like a good few trips there, except the tractors failing. 158s are, as DMUs go, rather good, but I wouldn't forgive one... ;)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,848
Location
West of Andover
21st April – Farewell to the D

The idea of today was to say farewell to the D-stock, do some time wasting moves before the lowland sleeper to Scotland would depart, for I was bound for the land of the square sausage. I finished work on time, headed home and was out the door with a fast march to the station, I really must start buying/collecting my tickets in advance as it gives me a little extra flexibility when I get caught in a queue at the TVM, anyhow today was a tad tighter than I would normally liked it to be as I got my tickets just as 159002 & 159108 was rolling in forming the 14:59 towards Waterloo.

Roughly an hour and 15 minutes later, after a quick PNB the Wessex Turbos rolled into Waterloo, as I had a quick walk via the TVMs to pick up a travelcard before heading to the jubilee line platforms, waiting less than a minute before 96041/96078 rolled in, overhearing a family wondering “is this train going to be less busy?” (I’ve got bad news, probably not). The 7 and a half(ish) run to West Ham was spent in a motor coach, catching up with a service in front giving extra motor noise when accelerating from within the tunnels (mmm 96 motor noise). Once at West Ham, spotting that C2C had another revenue block at the entrance to their platform before I headed to the district line platform for a mild fester.

My fester was broken with the appearance of winner 21525/21526 which I took one stop to Bromley-by-Bow, taking a seat in the sunshine (noting the old platforms on the C2C side of the station), before the cameras came out as the last (public) working of the D78 stock rolled in:


Winner 7032 was leading dud 7007, with taking up a seat within the 3rd coach of 7032 for some classic noise heading westbound for the longest trip I’ve made on the district line for a fair while. Special mention to the platform staff at Cannon Street & Blackfriars for their announcements about this being the last service, as expected for a peak time working it got slightly busy within the central area, but emptied out as time went on, gaining more passengers around Hammersmith for the final run into Ealing Broadway, where the next move was to the depot, the last public service operated by the D-stock, end of an era :(.

Once at Ealing Broadway, I checked the ID of the 2 pairs of 387s out on GWR services today (as 140+144 have entered traffic), but sadly both were dud, so after another PNB I boarded 91037/92204/92438/91087 to White City, to see what it was like for extended festers. It be a good station as eastbound trains crawl into the station due to a curve before the station, however the downside is that middle platform with a set blocking viewage of the westbound platform. With 30 minutes of festering I called it a day with boarding 91099/92082/92022/91307 from the middle track for the long run to Bank.

DLR time, as I did my usual trick on jumping on the first service outta Bank, falling to 29/80/30 for the run to Shadwell, taking up my usual position to ID units heading into Bank/Tower Gateway, as well as the ones already there. 15 (or so) minutes later I spotted one of my last 3 DLR units, so it was a short fester before 07/58/41 appeared for the bus stop leap to Limehouse (note to self, don’t use the lifts as they are painfully slow!). 76/10/55 took me back to Shadwell, where 20 minutes later the “first spotted” sets were returning, so it was a leap to Poplar on 87/08/33. No luck there so I called it a night with 113/106 taking me to Stratford via Pudding Mill Lane, for a lack of a better idea.

321325/321323 gave me some required 321 motor noise on the leap back to Liverpool Street, with Tesco giving me some required food before I headed to the sub surface line platform, catching 21459/21460 to Farringdon for a spot of 700 hunting. With the next northbound being “formed of 12 coaches”, I jumped on 377512/377515 to Blackfriars for some late evening river views before 700017 took me to Kentish Town, the next southbound was formed of 4 coaches and looked like it was going to be a busy service, so when a 319 rolled in I headed to the northern line platforms, with 51716/51602 taking me onwards to Euston (Bank Branch), exiting LU with a short walk towards platform 1 where the sleeper was waiting.

A 87 (or 86) had dragged the ECS in from Wembley, and after walking to Carlisle I was happy as leading the many coaches to Carstairs would be winner 92014, first of the class for me.

After walking back to London, I took up my seat in the seated coach, noting that I had picked a dodgy one (bay of 2, where thankfully the person sat opposite was a no show). The seats are quite comfy (and yes I admit my feet might have found themselves on that empty seat opposite a couple times), however my experience was ruined by a couple of selfish passengers who decided to stay up most of the night talking about random rubbish, although I did managed to get some kip, awaiting to find the train at Carstairs, which I think is a good place to end my report of the day:
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
Why some people can't keep their noise down in a situation like that is completely beyond me. Hope the rest of the trip is good though.
Seeing the D stock in your photo made me go slightly misty eyed I must say.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
And the staff onboard are usually pritty rubbish at noise issues too. Like so many others well done on the D Stock run, end of an eara.

Look forward to the rest
 

alexf380

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2011
Messages
1,417
Location
Musselburgh, Scotland
Never had a problem with other passengers noise on the times I've used the sleeper, so just rotten luck on your part. Nice photo at Carstairs, might I add!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,848
Location
West of Andover
22nd April – A trip to Scotland, Part 1

Before I continue with my sleeper adventure, I shall explain the reason why I ended up on the sleeper. Basically this weekend was mainly going to be a simple trip to Glasgow heading out to clear my remaining 3 shacks on the Shotts line, so my hope would have been the 07:30 Euston – Glasgow service. However with engineering works closing the line north of Carlisle for part of the day on the Saturday, meant the only service towards Glasgow from Euston which would arrive would have been the 06:03 (ish). Going via the East Coast would have bust my budget (at the time of looking the cheapest fares for anything decently timed had either already gone or hadn’t been released, looking at around £50 for an Edinburgh stopper, unless it was the service departing around 06:00.

For some unknown reason I decided to check the sleeper website and found it had tickets in the seats for £35, I decided to book to Edinburgh on grounds of hopefully scoring two locos and to build in a quick visit to North Fife to visit a shack which previously used to be doable with a tight +8 in the afternoons, but since a timetable change put that +8 to a +0. So only one for the brave (or foolish) as chances are the train you would be on would be running a minute or so late, enough to screw up the connection.

Anyhow, back to Carstairs where I was watching out of the window (getting some early morning lowland air) noticing that a Freightliner branded 90 rolling in to attach to the Edinburgh portion, returning to the seats to attempt some more sleep (but alas sadly Mr Talky was already up and carrying on continuing to talk away). Arrival into Edinburgh was a nice 13 minutes early, giving me time to check the ID of the front loco to find it was winner 90043, so off to a winning start of the day:


Swinging via the ticket office to purchase my Central Scotland rover, this has changed from being a “3 in 7” rover to a 3 day rover (similar to the Kent Rover) so something for others to bear in mind for the future, anyhow with rover in hand “Operation Breakfast” took a back seat, as I took a seat on winner 170452 for a trademarked Haymarket leap as it was on the 07:30 Glasgow Queen Street service. There is nothing much around Haymarket station in terms of being able to grab something to eat so it was back to Edinburgh Waverley on 156494 from Glasgow Central, giving me time to grab a sausage roll from the Pastry Shop (plus a couple bottles of pop from Boots), before heading over to the 08:00 Dundee service, which was in the hands of low mileage dud 170416 for the fast (if one can call any such run on a 170 as being fast) heading north up the Fife Coast, eventually calling at the home of the Simpsons, Springfield. I was alone in getting off, but I did spot a cyclist boarding at this very limited served shack



My plan was originally going to be a roughly 2 and a bit mile walk to Cupar, until I spotted a bus stop with a brief look at the timings saw a 09:07 bus to Cupar, so screw the walk as when the route 94A Stagecoach Fife bus rolled in (fleet 47167), handing over £1.80 [the drivers carry change] for single ticket to take me to Cupar town centre, swinging via a nearby Tesco to give me a change to freshen up before heading down the stairs to reach the southbound platform at Cupar, a station which by the looks of it used to have avoiding lines in the middle:


The next southbound service was the infamous Aberdeen to Penzance XC service, which today was formed of a busy 221139 for a small leap to Ladybank, quite strange hearing some of the smaller Cornish stations being announced, mix between the regular Scottish lady and another announcer:


10 minutes later, 170416 was back from Dundee, a bit more busier now than it was previously, as I took it back down south, bailing at Haymarket for I had around a 20 minutes window before the next Dunblane service would depart, and a HST was due in from Inverness. I remained on the same platform as 5 (or so) minutes later the HST was spotted and I jumped for joy as it was no other than winner 43277 leading, my final VTEC ‘loco’, 43309 was on the back (after asking the guard as due to the short platform at Haymarket the rear power-car is just off the edge and is quite hard to being able to ID). Sadly no photo was available as the HST rolled into a busy platform 2 at Edinburgh, and I had one eye on the time before the 11:33 Dunblane service. Noting that the 11:30 towards Glasgow Queen Street was a familiar looking 452 which had found a friend in the shape of 420 (and I wonder who needs that ;)):



The unit taking me onwards was another delightful 170, this time 170474 for the run towards Bridge of Allen where sadly no picture was available due to making a tight +1 connection to another Edinburgh bound service (it isn’t easy, but somehow I made it), this time was 170475 back to Stirling, noting a required 156 was sitting in one of the south facing bays ready to form a Queen Street stopper in around 45 minutes time. A busy 170406 rolled in on the Glasgow fast service, as I managed to get a table seat with a plug socket to give my phone a quick boost of electricity.

Once at Glasgow Queen Street, with a massive thanks to godfreycomplex who was able to look up details of some of my remaining EMUs I formed a plan which would be able to get 3 out of the 4, the 4th was sadly working Ayr fast services (i.e. first stop Kilwinning) so 380013 will escape me once more! Making use of the lift connection to reach the westbound platform at Queen Street Low Level, it was onto 334038/334025 to Partick (I had forgotten how long it takes to reach Partick from Charing Cross), purchasing my Roundabout from the onboard TE. Being able to do that connection at Bridge of Allen allowed me to use “Plan D”, as the next service at Partick was a Dalmuir bound stopping service via Singer, formed of winner 320416 & 320322, which clears the class. It was some mini-dusty bin motor coach based action to Dalmuir where the service terminated:


The next service back towards Airdrie via Singer was due in 5 minutes, giving me a chance to breath before 318252 rolled in with winner 318270 on the rear to clear my 2nd class of the day, and it was back to Partick, where I stepped back a train onto 318255 [which I had spotted at Dalmuir) to take me to Glasgow Central low level.



I hopped onto 380114 working a Largs service for a quick hop to Paisley Gilmour Street, wishing I hung back for some 314 based action as a Gourock service arrived with plenty of time before dud 380020 rolled in with winner 380006 on the rear to take me back to Glasgow Central, where I had roughly 30 minutes to check into my accommodation (St Enoch Hotel) and to get to Glasgow Queen Street for an Alloa bound service to intercept that 156 I spotted earlier. It was a tad tight, especially with the crowds, but I made it onto the Alloa bound service (bypassing the queues for Edinburgh & Aberdeen trains due to some kickball) formed of 170470 for the short run to Croy, on route I passed a required 170, so had the decision to aim for it now, or later. In the end I decided it was too risky a move (12 minutes from Queen Street to Central to board the Edinburgh via Shotts stopper), so made a note of its future workings.

Anyhow, at Croy, dud 156504 rolled in with winner 156457 attached to take me back to Queen Street, where with some time to spare I headed to the subway, getting an all-day ticket and hoping that one of my last 4 cars would made an appearance, the subway was running a roughly 4 minute frequency, but alas no luck for me [I prefer festering at the likes of Bridge Street where it a classic island platform giving good views of both inner & outer circle). In the end I jumped onto 116/206/114 for the short hop to St Enoch, walking over to Glasgow Central to ID what was on the Edinburgh ‘fast’, it being a dud 158 which allowed me time to swing via Boots for a meal-deal for later.

156511 rolled in, as I took up a seat on the slow journey, the PIS getting confused with the “pick-up only” stop of Uddingston, eventually I reached my next shack score of the evening with Addiewell going into my book with its rusty footbridge.


Overlooks what appears to be a prison, but was a very peaceful station as I waited the 30 minutes before 156446 rolled in to take me back one step to Breich, shocking the guard as someone actually got off at one of the least used stations in GB, which featured quite low platforms:


Anyhow it was time for a short walk, this is one walk only to do during the hours of day as it is a busy road (a bit of jumping onto the verge took place), before heading down a farm-track and into housing, as I reached Fauldhouse in roughly 50 minutes, including some pauses to deal with my phone, I couldn’t help noticing how different the following views will be in a few years time when the wires are up:



My original plan was to head back to Glasgow, and try and hunt down some of my remaining 156s in case they were out to play (sadly I knew at least one was around Ayr having spotted it earlier on a Glasgow – Girvan working), however earlier in the day at Edinburgh I spotted my last Haymarket based 158 floating around, and doing my tracking I managed to ID it as being on the 21:27(ish) arrival from Tweedbank, so it was back to Edinburgh on a busy 158739 which had one coach locked out of use due to someone being sick.

Making use of the Edinburgh trams app, I noticed one of my last 4 trams were out to play, which was something to think about doing after returning from Newcraighall. A busy 158782 took me to Newcraighall, the limit of validity of the rover, with a few minutes later winner 158731 rolled in attached with 158738, my last of the Haymarket based 158s, leaving just 705 & 707 of the Inverness based 158s to get (in Scotland). A quick hop to Haymarket was in order on 158869/158867 where sadly due to a lack of anywhere to get some change (due to the Edinburgh Trams TVMs only taking card payments for over £3 and needing exact coins only) I ditched the idea of hunting down tram 254.

Looking at my options, I had 5 services bound for Edinburgh I could catch before the 22:30 back to Glasgow, the first 3 were dud, but my eyes picked up when I saw what rolled in from Inverness, for it was no other than winner 170411.

A hop back to Edinburgh for a quick photo of my 2nd last Turbostar was in order before boarding a busy 170429 to Croy, where I bailed, fingers and toes crossed for what came in from Alloa. Glasgow Queen Street isn’t the easiest station to track trains on due to RTT putting arrivals into “platform D”, hence for the fingers and toes crossed, however a large smile appeared when I saw what rolled in, as I hoped for it was winner 170459 to clear the class!


I boarded the quiet (in terms of passenger loading, rather than the noise from the engine) 170 back to Glasgow Queen Street, walking back to the hotel with a puzzle of what to do on the Sunday as festering at Haymarket would only see very slim pickings for winners, but I was happy as I never expected for such a productive day

To be continued :)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
Git git git!

Many congratulations on clearing THREE classes in one day! Not at all jealous that you got your last 170s in before I did, and yes I did notice that comment and photo ;)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,848
Location
West of Andover
23rd April – A trip to Scotland, Part 2


With such a productive day on the Saturday, I was down to 6 Scottish units (3x 156s, 2x Inverness 158s & 1x 380), so my original plan to head towards Haymarket to fester for winners probably wouldn’t have been that productive as the only requirements would have been those 2x 158s if they were down in Haymarket from their usual home at Inverness, so I decided to remain at Glasgow for a bit longer than first planned with a later start (taking into account the later than expected night last night).

After 30 minutes of festering around Glasgow Central, knowing that the 380 ended the day in Ayr sidings so probably wouldn’t be coming out to play, I would have stayed longer but it was Rangers vs Celtic in the Scottish Cup semi-finals, so the station was quite busy with football fans and police, so I escaped (annoyingly before I had news that one of my last 3x 156s was out on East Kilbride services) to Queen Street. After turning down the chance of a 170 move, I decided to go to the low level platforms and do something completely mad and jumped on 334021/334034 for the long run to Haymarket, stopping at every station (but at least gave me some nice motor noise).

Similar to the Saturday I was tracking what Edinburgh trams were out, and noting that 2 out of my last 4 were out to play, decided as a time wasting move to purchase a return ticket within the “city zone” and jumped on winner 254 to Gogarburn, I was tempted to go one stop further but the connection was quite tight. One more passenger alighted from the busy tram at the headquarters of RBS who then disappeared, as I had a short fester for winner 260 to take me back to St Andrews Square (confusing the guard with my return ticket having the time printed on!). Anyhow that is two more trams into my book, leaving just 2 left to go, and going by the app neither were out so that will be a job for May time.

When heading towards Gogarburn I caught a 158 paused at Edinburgh Park, seeing that the last number was a “7”, so to waste some time I decided to intercept that unit on its return from Stirling, so once at Edinburgh Waverley (via the Sainsburys for a Bacon Sandwich), I jumped on 158730/158719 working the next service towards Stirling, however due to a points failure at Haymarket all the trains were having to go via 2 platforms (unless it was heading towards Slateford), so my plan to bail at Polmont went into the bin as I bailed at Linlithgow for a short wait. My eyesight wasn’t playing games with me as the 158 which rolled in bound for Edinburgh did have a 7 on the end, but wasn’t 707, but 158867 with 158869 on the rear. Ah well it was going to be a long shot, almost as long as the 14:55 service to Euston via Birmingham turning up 390128 (which was spotted at the depot in Glasgow yesterday), but it was an unknown 221.

With Haymarket still having delays, I decided to hop on 170474 for the short run to Newcraighall, returning on 170405, just to waste some time before my booked train home, which tonight was the 16:00 (on grounds that it was the cheapest). Required DVT 82226 was leading with low mileage 91117 “Skyfall” on the rear (Northallerton to York), my seat was in coach E and it was a good run, running fast to Alnmouth, before we came to a stop before crawling past Pegswood due to some local kids deciding to play chicken on the line losing 10 minutes. The service gained back around 6 minutes with calls at Newcastle, Durham, Darlington, York, Doncaster, Newark & Peterborough so arrival into Kings Cross was eventually reached, with the 16:20 Edinburgh – Kings Cross hot on our heels.

Time not being on my side, it was to the Victoria line with 11081/11082 taking me to Oxford Circus for a 3 minute wait (next train would have been 12 minutes later!) making use of the cross platform interchange with the Bakerloo. Eventually 3231/3532 rolled in to take me to Waterloo, and with time to spare I popped to Tesco on Waterloo Road for a meal-deal before dashing back to the station to board the 21:15 service to Salisbury (where a replacement train would take passengers for stations beyond Salisbury towards Exeter). 159002 was leading 159015 (winner for the year) with 158883 locked out of use on the rear, for a fast run back towards Grateley with a short walk home in the cool night air.

I think it was a very successful weekend in terms of winners, plus shack scores. Next weekend is another bank holiday, which sees a return to Wales to tackle some stations in South & West Wales, thanks for reading :)
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
How you suffer the ECML all these trips is beyond me. Well done on winners and shacks, is the St Enoch hotel as grim as everyone says it is on the likes of TA?
For future, the roundabout is valid on the subway and a gate pass simply needs obtaining at any subway office.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top