25th February – Trawling the megahertz in North Yorkshire
The idea of today’s little trip was to visit my last 4 shacks on the Harrogate line with a mild unit hunt following on afterwards. Due to engineering works in the Salisbury area it was an early morning drive to Andover to pick up 159003 working the 06:20 Andover – Waterloo service for an uneventful run into Waterloo. The passengers who decided to walk forward into the first class section for a quicker exit weren’t happy as the driver didn’t key off once in Waterloo (and hence not releasing the front door) due to a planned attachment with a 2nd unit on the platform.
Anyhow I was booked on the 08:33 service to Leeds, one of the new services introduced in December time giving Leeds a rough half hourly service [as it was cheaper than the 08:03 I would normally have booked]. With some time to kill I headed to the Jubilee line platforms for a short fester before jumping on a Stanmore bound set featuring 96033 on the rear [I couldn’t quite move fast enough to grab the ID of the front unit]. 21365/21366 took me onwards to Blackfriars to head up to the mainline station, leaping onto 319440/319428 for the short run to Farringdon (noting how quickly the 319s can change from DC to AC at City Thameslink compared to electrostars). The only other northbound service I could catch was a pair of 377s (at this time I was on the bridge keeping an eye on the westbound LU platform in case of a required S7 or S8. I jumped onto 21343/21344 on a Hammersmith & City working to Kings Cross St Pancras.
Swinging via WH Smiths for a newspaper before the platform was even announced for the 08:33, eventually being announced as platform 0 for a spot of musical chairs as coach C was MIA. Super dud 91132 was leading (taking it to something like 950 miles) with DVT 82205 on the rear. Due to the missing coach reservations for coach C was moved to coach F (with some angry groups that their table seats were suddenly airline seats), with any reservations for coach F shifted mostly to coach H and a declassified FC coach. I ended up in F1 which is a backwards facing “fold-away” seat in the wheelchair space, it was comfy enough (lots of legroom) but the lack of armrest was slightly annoying. The carriage got wedged out at Doncaster with football fans and middle-aged woman driving that sparkling wine for a day out shopping. The service rolled into Leeds roughly on time, sadly it went into platform 6 so was a bit of walk to reach platform 1 where the next Knaresborough service was due to depart.
153363 & 155341 was the dogbox & kennel, taking a seat in the 153 for some DBT for the 20 and a half mile run into North Yorkshire bailing at my first shack score of the day with
Starbeck, this is a passing point but if you wanted to attempt the connection you need to be at the Knaresborough/York end for a subway. As I was on a simple Horsforth – Poppleton day return (route Harrogate) I broke my outward journey and had a quick walk to the main road spotting a handy Co-Op in which I purchased some items for lunch, before returning to the station attempting to get into a book (which in the end I couldn’t get into and stopped reading). My fester came to an end with the appearance of 150224/150268 where I was originally going to carry on until Poppleton but I decided to bail at
Hammerton instead due to the sky looking stormy. A basic two platform station on a passing loop, beware it is a level crossing with a big sign saying “passengers must not cross the line when the road gates are closed”.
I had Google Maps fired up and headed for a short (1.8 mile) walk back towards
Cattal, the first mile was along pavement before the pavement died away exiting the village of Kirk Hammerton for a little country lane, eventually regaining a pavement when joining the main road. Like Hammerton, Cattal was a manual level crossing with another sign saying “passengers alighting must wait for the train to depart” on the Leeds bound platform. I took up a seat and relaxed after my walk (making me a bit hungry) before 144013 bounced in from the single line, for a short run passing the returning 150 pair between the two stations to take me to
Poppleton which I believe has a large park & ride nearby for York itself.
Another manual level crossing, and a map suggested a Co-Op was located nearby, as I sat under the shelter watching the rain eating my lunch before a rammed 144013 returned (the PIS was saying “please note formed of 2 carriages instead of 4 today”), the train emptied out a lot at Harrogate allowing me to shift to one of the bays of 4 as it got busier once more for the long run to Leeds [I wouldn’t have minded, but I’ve had this 144 from Morecambe to Leeds before!]. I got news that sadly none of my last 5 requested northern units (150149, 2x 153s & 2x 156s) were around West Yorkshire [seems the 2x 156s have gone home to Heaton], one of my last VTEC 43s was on an Aberdeen service with the other having a lazy day on the depot, with 91114 due to be running to Edinburgh (boo). However with needing 8x 158 at the start of the day I was hopeful of getting at least one winner.
After 90 minutes of general wondering around, sitting outside Starbucks making use of the Wi-Fi, I was seriously considering heading out towards the city centre for some shopping (shock!), I was seeing 158s but mostly were the 3-car versions or 158/9s. My luck turned when a 142+158 rolled in from the depot, with the 142 getting detached to work a Sheffield stopping service, as it was a required 158 which was due to work a service towards Appleby in 30 minutes time. It was nice in a way not to have to keep an eye out on the 185s, but I did notice a good portion were in the new colour scheme. Eventually the doors were unlocked on winner
158850 which took me to Shipley gaining an entry into the 10-mile club.
A few minutes later I was heading back to Leeds on 333014 giving me time to relax and review what other options. It appeared a Manchester Victoria service was coming from a unit from York which itself came from Hull, however that was running a few minutes late so winner
158795 rolled in from the depot. A busy service as I grabbed a fold down seat in the front overhearing some grumpy fizzy wine drinking woman moaning that they boarded with a few minutes to go and they couldn’t get a table seat.
Looking at RTT gave me a +5 at Bramley which I bailed, walking down to the road (is that a new zebra crossing?) underneath the bridges and back up to the other platform for a short run on 158902 back to Leeds. A couple more shots at something required as I boarded winner
158859 heading towards Ribblehead, once more bailing at Shipley crossing over to the Leeds bound platform from the Bradford side with 333008 taking me back to Leeds. With just over 10 minutes (I know it was a tight connection) I didn’t have time to pick up a McDonalds, but had time to grab a sandwich meal-deal from Boots before boarding the 20:05 Leeds – London service. Dud 82207 was leading 91116, with my reserved seat being in coach C, which like most VTEC services was busy so I decided to do something I haven’t previously done and sat in the quiet coach B, spending the time speeding southwards watching a movie on the tablet, noting that we were running around 10 minutes late due to being held outside Wakefield for the Huddersfield bound service to depart and with a passenger alarm being pressed.
However I wasn’t happy, as the 23:40 to Andover was only running as far as Basingstoke (which I swear was a last minute change), with a bus afterwards (boo). However I had some time to play with so it was down to the Victoria line with 11021/11022 taking me to Green Park where I had a short 30 minute session keeping my eyes peeled for either 96033 (in order to see what was on the northern end) or 96045. Alas neither popped up so it was to Waterloo on 96049/96094, swinging via McDonalds before saying “no” as the queue was long. A pasta pot was purchased from Tesco as I headed to the platform where the 23:40 was due to depart, as a mostly empty 159004 rolled in for a fast turnaround. I grabbed a seat in the quiet coach (for no reason other than it was quieter), sadly a group of middle-aged woman boarded sitting in the same table seats completely ignoring the quiet coach signs (I take back everything bad I’ve said about football fans, drunken middle-aged woman are a lot worse).
At Basingstoke the train emptied out, and it was down the stairs to the bus stop where a mini-coach from an operator called “N Trollope Travel” was the replacement [vehicle Reg J1 NDT], it was quite nice inside (as far as coaches go). The driver noted one passenger for Overton and one for Whitchurch, thankfully the Overton passenger wanted to be dropped off in the village centre (rather in the middle of the housing estate the station is located) which did save around 10 minutes, sadly the one for Whitchurch wanted to be dropped off at the station (boo). One more stop near the town centre at Andover before the station was reached. A quick drive home but slightly annoyed it was around 30 minutes later than I had hoped for.
4 more shacks (clearing the Harrogate loop) plus 3 more 158s into the book, overall a good day in my books
Some pictures:
Starbeck:
Hammerton:
Semaphore Signals & manual crossing gates at Cattal:
144013 at Poppleton:
A train in the lesser used platform 7 at Leeds (17:50-ish Selby):
26th February – A ghost immune to radar, return of the Red Doors
After a couple lazy Sundays I was ready and baking at the chance of heading out to London, the late night due to the bus almost took me back to sleep, but I woke up and decided to head to London after all. Driving to Andover to catch the 08:15 (or so) service, once more starting from Andover due to those engineering works, it was formed of 159018 & 159016, the coach by the entrance to the stairs appeared busy but the front coach of 018 was mostly empty. Due to it being the last arrival into Waterloo before the 09:30 super off-peak restriction kicks in I was expecting the train to get busy at Basingstoke & Woking.
Well it didn’t, at least in the leading coach, but a few minutes late arrival meant my ticket didn’t operate the barrier (but the member of staff had the manual gate open as it looked like others had the similar problem), and it was downstairs to the jubilee platform, with a rough working that I should see the vast majority of workings within 80 minutes, with the plan to shift to Green Park if the station got busy... 30 minutes later a Stanmore bound service rolled in, dud 96092 was on the northern end with required
96045 on the Stratford end. I jumped on board jumping for joy that the 1996 stocks have been cleared, the service was semi-busy with Southampton fans heading to the big game, but I decided to stay on board until West Hampstead, getting a good run on my final Jubilee set.
Walking across to West Hampstead Thameslink, it was a short wait as 377509 (I wonder who needs that for sight) plus another 377/5 was heading northbound on a Bedford service, with 319428/319440 returning to my log files for the 2nd day running. Sadly the toilet was locked out of use on 428 but the motor noise made up for it as it crossed over, pausing for a few minutes as 700101 departed on a Luton stopper, rolling into platform 1 at St Pancras high-level (both the Thameslink core and the line north of Bedford was closed). Swinging via Boots at Kings Cross for a meal-deal before boarding 365501 & 365529 for my first Finsbury Park hop in some time [making use of a PNB] before heading down the many stairs to the Piccadilly line platform, my plan was simple, to linear hop on the Piccadilly line to decrease my required 1973 stocks, my moves were as followed:
197/122, Finsbury Park – Arsenal (it was already in the platform so I leapt on board without checking)
112/
185 to Holloway Road
872/
153 to Caledonian Road
207/196 to Kings Cross St Pancras
206/109 to Russell Square (for a 20 minute fester until)
247/102 to Holborn
106/
141 to Covent Garden
179/
156 to Leicester Square (where you can hear the platform announcements of Covent Garden!)
860/
236 to Piccadilly Circus
212/157 to Green Park
234/209 back to Piccadilly Circus
149/
186 to Green Park (noting that the PIS is rubbish, saying trains were 2 minutes away when they were approaching!)
201/
198 to Hyde Park Corner
101/224 back to Green Park, where I leapt on a set which had just rolled in without checking the rear unit:
886/225 to Hyde Park Corner
121/100 to Knightsbridge
878/176 to South Kensington (ignoring the urge to go S7 hunting)
240/874 to Gloucester Road
104/237 to Earl’s Court
139/140 to the fresh air at Barons Court, where I monitored the S7s
880/
246 to Hammersmith
253/182 to Acton Town, thinking what to do
169/
222 to South Ealing
117/230 back to Acton Town
882/152 to Northfields (using the outside line into platform 1 at Northfields)
100/121 back to Acton Town
209/234 to Rayners Lane, to end my little session with the Piccadilly line, with my eyes set on some S8s, I headed over to the other platform (via the handy toilets for a PNB) jumping on the first S8 towards Harrow on the Hill which was 21047/21048. Noting that due to the football trains were a tad busier and it appeared there was at least one semi-fast due to run southbound calling at Wembley Park only. Sadly that didn’t show before a winner was spotted:
21049/21050 to North Harrow
21039/21040 to Harrow on the Hill, standing around the entrance to the subway keeping my eyes peeled on what was coming north
21067/21068 to Rayners Lane (having just missed a service at West Harrow I decided to stay on board)
21007/21008 to Harrow on the Hill
21057/21058 to Northwick Park, where I remained for 30 minutes, nicer place to fester as it had a bench on a basic island platform, sadly the loos were locked up causing a mixture between regret and anger from passengers trying them. Eventually my, self imposed deadline arrived with 21059/21060 getting the near 10 mile run to Kings Cross St Pancras where I remained for 20 minutes for S7s on both Hammersmith & City and Circle line movements. With no winners spotted I headed to the Northern line platforms, where I wasn’t there for long before
51586/51587 rolled in to take me to Euston.
I headed over to the Charing Cross branch platforms (a nice island platform with a secret passageway at the southern end away from the crowds and exit). 20 minutes passed before
51564/51563 entered my book on a leap to Goodge Street, but after another 15 minute fester I gave up and headed to Tottenham Court Road on 51600/51601 for some Central Line hunting (I need to do some research to find out if services on the Northern line interwork between branches or do they keep to the same branch, for example Kennington – High Barnet – Kennington (CX), or Kennington – High Barnet – Morden – Edgware – Kennington (CX))).
Anyhow I followed the wrong signs for the Central line which took me the long way round, but I eventually joined many other passengers for the series of moves:
91123/
92456/92422/912936 to Holborn
91299/92184/
92252/91161 to Chancery Lane (I never noticed you can see the platform lights of Holborn and watch the services stop before accelerating towards the station, sadly nothing required and with a 8 minute gap [hence the next service would probably be rammed] I went downstairs to the westbound platform
91269/92050/92118/
91119 to Holborn
91337/
92106/92444/91009 to Tottenham Court Road
91069/92150/92138/
91135 back to Holborn
91233/92044/
92054/91033 to Tottenham Court Road
That was the end of my Central line hunting of the day, not a bad result for 45 minutes. 51683/51684 rolled in to take me southward to Waterloo, where I exited LU and into the fresh air for one last time of the day to board the 18:45 to Salisbury (for the line had reopened). The express service was formed of 159010 & 158890 and was well loaded [I wanted to escape before the football fans returned from Wembley and the Rugby goers returned from Twickenham]. It sounded like someone was caught without a ticket [£34.60 please), for the fast run back to Andover, only pausing before Surbiton and before Basingstoke where it caught up with services in front, but still just over an hour to get back to Andover.
A quick drive home to grab some food from home, giving me time to reflect on scoring 49 winners, knocking down my requirements for LU quite well:
1x D-stock (of what remains in traffic, 7032)
5x S8s
9x S7s
30x 1973 stock
10x DLR units
18x 95 stocks
48x 92 stocks (24 of both driving sets and 24 trailers)
But the big news of the day was my searching for 96045 came to a successful end:
Followed up by some classic 319 AC motor noise into St Pancras high-level:
Next weekend sees a trip to Bristol dock lines on the Saturday (early morning drive to Didcot Parkway for the service via Birmingham, where it is most likely I will bail at Bristol Temple Meads paying the £23 (or so) for a single back towards Didcot on a HST, before heading to London on the Sunday to hopefully have a good social with Mr Quest.
Still, my eyes are fixed upon the place I last saw you, your signal urgent but breaking, before you became cotton in a blizzard.