• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,848
Location
West of Andover
Sounds like a long but enjoyable day, with a decent seat for a change! Hope the 442s are good

It was indeed rather long, i just wish there was a chance to get off the train at some point on the day.

The 442 tour was good, i forgot how nice the seats are compared to a 387
 

palmersears

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2011
Messages
1,487
I think I may have seen you (well the tour as a whole) a couple of times on Saturday, Kite. Once when you were taking in the sights of Bredbury RTS as I bounced along through Bredbury station, and then again as you passed through 0 at Stockport.

Sounds excellent, particularly the trip through Basford Hall (I'm a freight nut, what can I say!), but there's no way I could hack not having a chance to stretch the legs at some point.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
I would not have survived that, no break anywhere all day sounds worse than a transatlantic flight!

Rather productive in terms of track though, a fair few bits there that would have been most pleasing to get. Never done the bits around Wigan, including the PSUL move which I keep forgetting about. One day those PSUL moves will all be dud...
 

37038

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2014
Messages
701
It wasn't as bad as all that but I suppose Kite was on throughout... I boarded at Stafford and departed at Crewe so 0920-1920 for me!

Endurance is the way forward!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,848
Location
West of Andover
It wasn't as bad as all that but I suppose Kite was on throughout... I boarded at Stafford and departed at Crewe so 0920-1920 for me!

Endurance is the way forward!

I would have bailed earlier but I wanted that through line at Oxford heading towards Didcot :lol:

The little shop at Didcot Parkway was going a good trade in coffee once it opened at 6am on Saturday
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,848
Location
West of Andover
12th March - Saying goodbye to the Pig

Friday the 10th marked the last 442 operated public service on Southern, with a joint BLS/GTR tour on the Sunday to mark the end of operations for the pigs (at least for the known future). After a long day on the Saturday I was a bit zombie like as I drove to Grateley station (as it was quite wet) to board the 07:39 towards clapham junction formed this morning of 159013 & 159102. Both being winners for 2017 and with 159013 also becomes member number 7 of the Club 2K.

At Clapham Junction it was a trip to Sainsburys before heading towards the southern platforms with 377446/377466 taking me to Victoria for an hour break, making use of the free toilets at Victoria and generally wasting time before the gates to platform 14 were released at 10:00 after the Gatwick Express departed as the platform got quite busy as 442408 & 442402 rolled in, having a good guess at coach A being at the front to allow me to grab an airline seat with a good view out of the window (listening to some oldish gentleman moaning about the lack of tables).

442402 departed to head towards beckenham junction for a 442 first, using the Battersea Reversal line to join the main line before clapham junction. Onwards to Beckenham Junction going slowly through Crystal Palace and after a reversal & photo stop it headed back towards Victoria going via the carriage sidings at Streatham Hill (first time for me to go through a carriage washer) before attaching back up with 442408 to allow passengers to spread out for the main journey to Brighton.

A right time departure from Victoria and onwards heading south on the Brighton Main Line, slowing down to pass East Croydon before speeding back up on the Quarry Lines, passing Gatwick Airport and slowing down at Three Bridges as the train visited one of the lines at the Thameslink depot on the "Down" side on the line. Many 700s were spotted (the core was closed hence Thameslink were only running half hourly Brighton - London Bridge services on the main-line), before the service re-joined the main line to power down to Brighton, rolling into platform 7.

The units were split, with 442408 being sent off empty towards Preston Park (for it to return later to look all 442-like in platform 8). At one stage the only train in Brighton was 442402, it was rather quiet before winner 73202 rolled in to attach to the 442 for a little trip up the main-line to visit one of the new sidings at Preston Park, taking the chord towards Hove to visit another carriage siding around the Hove station area (mainly used for Gatwick Express 387/2s), before returning to Brighton rolling into platform 2. The driver swapped ends and took the 442+73 up via Lovers Walk depot area (I would give the correct name of the line we took, but I left my notes at home).

One final reversal at Preston Park and back into Brighton rolling into platform 7, where we would have roughly a 90 minute break, so I headed into the city area to do a bit of light looking into shops, although the only thing I purchased was a meal-deal from Tesco. Back on board with 442402 leading 442408 on platform 8 (the line towards Lewes was closed for engineering works, hence why it could block that platform), for one final photo shot of 442s in Brighton station, and most likely a micro-grice to cross back over to the main-line. The long day on the Saturday had caught up with me and I was feeling tired, so looking at the timings decided to bail from the tour earlier, however before we reached London Bridge it was a visit to the "Up" side of the Thameslink depot, doing a random crossing from the Up fast south of Gatwick to pause briefly in platform 1 before heading back over to the fast lines before they divide at Horley.

Onwards with another pause at East Croydon to allow the units to cross over to the line (Cottage Junction rings a bell) to use the flyover [primarily used by London Bridger stoppers to cross over to the "Up Slow" London Bridge line, however the 442s came off to use the Norwood Fork to use one of the lines at Selhurst depot [Fork Arrival IIRC], rejoining the London Bridge line south of Norwood Junction crossing onto the fasts until New Cross Gate where it visited a loop before carrying on to London Bridge arriving into platform 10. A quick photo of the units at London Bridge before I headed over to platform 9 to jump on the first SET service towards Charing Cross, which tonight was formed of 465023 & 465011 for the mile leap to Waterloo East.

Walking across the footbridge to the main Waterloo station, to highlight the 19:15 service to Exeter St Davids (featuring a guard who was trying to get the PIS to give out the correct calling pattern) which featured a familiar looking pair of units, for it was 159102 & 159013 from this morning, joined by 159017 for the fast run back to Grateley (saves getting a lift home from Andover). A very good day to save farewell to the smooth riding 442s, with some random pictures of the day:

319425 looking a tad lost at Victoria:


The Pigs have arrived at Victoria:



442 meets tram at Beckenham Junction:


442402 resting at Brighton:


How touching:


442408 departs:


A rather empty looking Brighton:


73202 arrives:


442402 on platform 2:


3 generations at Brighton:


Pigs on platform 8:


And at London Bridge for probably the final time:




Next weekend is a HST tour to Edinburgh, followed by a lazy LU day on the Sunday with the mission of breaking the hundred barrier.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
I've been checking to see if you'd written about the tour, enjoyed the read and feeling a little sad as they've always been a favourite of mine. I remember going on my first 442 when they were just being introduced, I loved the bar area and the overall look of them especially the tidy front end, they had compartments too which was a real throwback to the glory days.
Around that time because the REPs were getting robbed of their traction motors for the 442s many services on the Bournemouth line had pairs of 73s added which was a great bonus for the red pen.
End of an era.
I didn't realise that there was a 73 in Southern livery. Has that just been painted?
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,848
Location
West of Andover
I've been checking to see if you'd written about the tour, enjoyed the read and feeling a little sad as they've always been a favourite of mine. I remember going on my first 442 when they were just being introduced, I loved the bar area and the overall look of them especially the tidy front end, they had compartments too which was a real throwback to the glory days.
Around that time because the REPs were getting robbed of their traction motors for the 442s many services on the Bournemouth line had pairs of 73s added which was a great bonus for the red pen.
End of an era.
I didn't realise that there was a 73 in Southern livery. Has that just been painted?

A quick scan on pictures, it appears it was repainted around 2013 time.

I have pretty much no memories of the 442s when they were on SWT, would be nice to see them return if only to do peak time commuter extras [i.e. Waterloo - Basingstoke only]
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
A quick scan on pictures, it appears it was repainted around 2013 time.

I have pretty much no memories of the 442s when they were on SWT, would be nice to see them return if only to do peak time commuter extras [i.e. Waterloo - Basingstoke only]

It would be and the 442 debate has gone on and on in other threads, to me they still look pretty modern and I imagine, although you'd know better than me, that they're still smooth and comfortable? They're getting on a bit I suppose and in a way that styling was so good to start with that it stops you from thinking about some of the ageing equipment underneath.
Probably best to let them go but it seems a shame that they can't do a job somewhere.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Vote ED! Sounds like a couple of good tours, but the 66 one was just a waste of money ;). Much better to spend it on some decent traction, like a brush tour, or some long distance (London-Brum and back) cat spins!
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
I'm so jealous! Would have loved to do those tours and you have loads coming up! Really wished I could have done the HST tour to Edinburgh! Four gronks which I doubt I will ever get! Sadly I already had plans and paid for the tickets before they announced it!

As for that bridge, yes, countless times!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,848
Location
West of Andover
I'm so jealous! Would have loved to do those tours and you have loads coming up! Really wished I could have done the HST tour to Edinburgh! Four gronks which I doubt I will ever get! Sadly I already had plans and paid for the tickets before they announced it!

As for that bridge, yes, countless times!

I'm on that HST tour more for the rare track up for grabs (York Avoider, Bythe & Tyne route north of Newcastle & some parts around the Edinburgh suburban line [which would be nice to see it in the daylight rather than the darkness of 10pm on a December evening on an empty 220!]
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,848
Location
West of Andover
17th March – Bound for Croydon

March is a very rail-tour heavy month, but my last tour was the one I was looking forward to the most, mainly because it was a HST, however with a departure from Kings Cross at 05:30 pretty much meant an overnight stay was required in London for the Friday & Saturday night, the cheapest being the Easy Hotel in Croydon, beyond the orange brick road. I finished work early enough to allow me to drive to Andover for the 14:38 service to Waterloo, which was actually early as 158887 rolled in with 159007 & 159014, as I did my usual taking a seat in the 158 as it was quieter than the rest of the train (and taking its mileage to nearly a thousand miles).

To make a change I bailed at Basingstoke, heading over to platform 5 for a short fester before 150001 rolled in for some 150 based thrash to Reading on a busy service, when on route I fired up RTT to give me an idea of what was floating around heading towards Paddington, deciding I would have 5 chances at a required 43. Alas it seems luck wasn’t on my side as in the end I jumped onto duds 43033 & 43139 for the near 36 mile run to Paddington, getting caught behind a “cool dude” who was so cool he couldn’t work out how to open the door. My only required move of the evening was to be at Stratford for around 18:44 as my last GA 90 was due to arrive bound for Liverpool Street so I had a good 90 or so minutes to kill.

After picking up my travelcard, I headed over to platform 16 with duds 21507/21508 taking me to Kings Cross St Pancras (using the theory that it has an island platform allowing viewage of both platforms. I wasn’t there for long at all as the first westbound metropolitan line service was winners 21015/21016 for the hop to Euston Square for 15 minutes of festering, before returning to Kings Cross St Pancras on duds 21311/21312. I took up a position at the eastern end of the platforms (near the stairs giving access to the deep level tube), keeping my eyes peeled but after 30 minutes I decided to call it a night and head to Farringdon on duds 21505/21506. The next Aldgate service was right behind it as I decided to stay on the same platform just in case it turned out to be a required S8. This turned out to be a good move as winner 21033/21034 rolled in to take me to Moorgate, followed a minute or so later by winner 21063/21064 to Liverpool Street, leaving me with just 2 more S8s left to locate.

I flipped a coin in my head, and with time on my side decided to head downstairs to platform 4. The first Central line set rolled in and was a quad dud so I turned it down, with the next service being right on its tail. Dud 91163 was leading required 92166 with duds 92180 & 91001. A mile and 32 chains later I alighted at Bethnal Green, the next set was another quad dud and after that an ultra rare event for me as winners 91237/92406/92018/91301 rolled in, a quad win and more importantly taking me below my 100 requirements for LU (plus DLR). At Mile End I completely messed up as another service took me off guard (was IDing a S7 at the time), and could only ID the rear 2 units, both were dud so I allowed it to go, being rewarded with dud 91065 leading winner 92214 with 92236 & 91257 taking my requirements for the Central line back to being an equal number of driving unit and trailers. Once at Stratford I headed over towards platform 9 to await the arrival of the 17:00 from Norwich, crossing my fingers that I won’t be bowled out by a set swap.

The danger music started to play as the loco was spotted as 90009 rolled in, with an extra bonus of required DVT 82118 on the rear, my last GA 90 to get for haulage which was excellent, and after a short run I arrived at Liverpool Street, time for a quick photo of the loco:


For a lack of a better idea, I decided for a short DLR hunt, so it was to platform 5 and the first service bound for bank rolled in, with winners 91255 & 92024 leading duds 92112 & 91211 for the short hop to Bank. I turned down the first DLR service as it was a trio of the newer “1XXs”, and jumped on duds 53/77/83 to my usual position at Shadwell. A few minutes later a pair of required units was spotted bound for bank, followed by another required unit, so I knew I would be on the move shortly as winner 14 returned with dud 61 in the middle and winner 57 on the rear to take me to Limehouse, for a short fester before winner 04 returned with duds 45 & 97 to Westferry. Sadly with it being dark I missed the ID of two bank bound services which restricted my options at Westferry.

After 15 minutes dud 91 rolled in with winner 96 in the middle with 29 on the rear to Poplar, allowing me to ID some of the Stratford – Canary Wharf workings, before jumping on 147/106 to Canary Wharf to source food from Tesco. In all fairness I probably should have called it a day there heading to the jubilee line to London Bridge for a 171 forward to Croydon, but decided to head back to Bank on 136/155/154 walking over to Monument jumping on 21433/21434 for the short hop to Blackfriars. The barriers were open at the National Rail station as I jumped on 319002 for the short run down the hill to City Thameslink as I had noticed 3 services heading southward before the next Brighton.

Sadly the first 2 were 319s, followed by a dud 700 before 700002 rolled in to take me to East Croydon (declassified first class area), gaining entry into my “9 mile 80 chain” club. Check in was completed and it was to the 6th floor for a twin room, with a noisy electric box (seems to give out a low hum) and an AC unit which either was off or in “depth of winter” mode (so I left it off). A quick sort out of my bag and with a 04:00 alarm I headed to sleep, reflecting on a good day for my red pen.
 

Dhassell

Member
Joined
22 Mar 2015
Messages
1,011
Well Done on getting below 100 on LU and DLR! I know you have got a lot further down now though :p
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
4 o'clock alarm! You might as well just stay up. :)
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
Well done on bagging your last Anglia 90. I look forward to the main event! I'll hear from you than a mate who was on it probably!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,848
Location
West of Andover
18th March – Bound for Craigy

Carrying on from yesterday, my alarm went off and I made my slow way to East Croydon station to catch the 04:30 Southern service to London Victoria, noting that the 04:24 bound for Brighton was quite busy. Thankfully 377164/377159 wasn’t that busy (annoyingly both high mileage 377s) for the 10 and a bit mile run to London Victoria, where I bumped into Brian as we had a fast walk to the underground to catch the 05:00 night tube “extra” (comes out of the sidings to run to Kings Cross only).

11009/11010 was in charge for the speedy run to Kings Cross St Pancras, where we exited the station and headed over, seeing a large queue of passengers waiting to board the HST, we headed to McDonalds for an early breakfast (mmm Pancakes). I knew in advance what power cars would be on the tour this morning, with 43300 “Craigentinny 100 Years” leading the former EMT set (the one with IC70 seating, looks very strange all in red with power sockets) with EMT’s 43082 “Railway Children” at the rear. 43300 I had last year from Inverness to Kings Cross (via Carlisle) so would become my 3rd VTEC 43 to break the 1000 mile barrier, with 43082 in my book on a mere Luton – Bedford leap).

Taking my seat, saying hello to the other forum members on the trip this morning and we departed, taking the down goods line at Finsbury Park to rejoin the main-line, going over the flyover after Alexandra Palace to enter the reversing siding after Bowes Park station, where the process of attaching a couple shunters from the Bounds Green depot took place. I have no idea which way round they were, but one was 08670 and the other 08441, eventually departing the reversing siding, passing Bowes Park station (with some confused looking passengers) and into the depot itself, going into the main shed (line 9 IIRC).

The 08s were detached, and we were back out onto the Hertford North loop, weaving onto the “Up Hertford” line after Hertford North (don’t worry, the lines are bi-directional with this section of track being used as a test-bed for in-cab signalling used on the Network Rail 313), returning right line after Watton-At-Stone to take the dive-under at Stevenage. Sadly it was slow lines northbound, caught behind a Peterborough stopper so it wasn’t the fastest of runs towards Peterborough for the first pick up. Crossing over to the fast line for a speedy run northbound, covering Claypole & Carlton loops, with a visit via the Retford platform loop to complete the full length of the loop (although truth be told I was asleep at this time). I’m led to believe we did Ranskill loop as well, coming off the main-line south of Doncaster to go via the yard to pause at Doncaster for the final pick-up, making use of a 5 minute break to have a wonder on the platform.

Doncaster was departed and the HST carried on northbound, weaving across the Colton North ladder where the lines from Leeds join, in order to visit Holgate loop (it was a Branch Line Society tour, what else did you expect?) before taking the York avoider to avoid York station (and Mr Quinn ;)). A bit of slow line running north of York allowing a 185 to overtake before moving over to the fast lines where we were booked to do the down main line (the Darlington avoider), but instead visited the station loop (the line next to the wall at Darlington). Due to late running we were at Darlington for a fair few minutes eventually departing after a XC voyager cleared the line back heading northbound.

Fast line all the way north of Darlington, skipping Durham & Chester Le Street, pausing for a crew change at Newcastle, before carrying on to depart the main line at Benton Junction to take the Blyth & Tyne route, running alongside the metro for a short period, passing lots of fields and the former station at Bedlington, turning left to head back towards the main-line, taking the northbound side of the triangle to carry on heading north, rejoining after Morpeth. Passage north was at line speed, taking in the delightful Crag Mill loop, but missing out on the Berwick down loop and the Drem loop due to late running (as by this point we were something like 30 minutes late). After passing Wallyford the HST turned left to go via Millerhill, passing the goods yard and the site of the new EMU depot being built [it had tracks down]. Passing Newcraighall & Brunstane before taking the east depot line to enter Craigentinny depot for a slow run passing the carriage washer before 08472 joined on the end to haul the HST back eastbounds, before returning back to the main-line, arriving into Edinburgh only a few minutes late, for an hour’s break to allow the water tanks to be re-watered.

A 170 on platform 20 took my eye, and checking departure time I headed to the TVM to pick up a day return to Haymarket before leaping onto winner 170450 for a quick Haymarket leap, firing up RTT to bring up options of returning, the first being a service from the Fife loop, and was winner 158713 to take me back to platform 20. Sadly no other options were available for me (a required 158 was spotted buffer blocking on one of the platforms, with 170459 being on a Glasgow Queen Street service), so I was sensible and grabbed some lunch and supplies for the trip back south.

After a quick picture taking moment

I rejoined the train as it departed heading westwards, passing Haymarket before turning left to take the Edinburgh suburban line chord, again brand new track for me up to where the line from Slateford comes in around the former station at Craiglockhart. It was interesting seeing this line in the daylight (as I had travelled it back in December on an empty 220), however this time the HST carried straight on at Niddrie West Junction to pass Newcraighall before heading back via Millerhill to rejoin the ECML before Wallyford. The loop after Prestonpans was visited, along with Drem loop, Grantshouse & Berwick loops on route southwards, I don’t think the HST visited any of the other loops north of Newcastle before it reversed in direction at Newcastle (to put First Class back at the London end), and it felt strange going forward after so long going backwards (trips in the depot excluded).

Taking the high level bridge route to rejoin the ECML it was a trip southwards with a visit to the Darlington up goods loop (technically part of the Darlington avoider lines, so another PSUL move complete ;)) where we had a pause to allow a couple XC services to depart along with a 91. Nothing else happened afterwards to York for the next set-down point, and onward to Doncaster for another set-down (the train emptying out quite nicely at this point). Carrying on heading south to pause in the Claypole up loop to allow a late running service from Aberdeen to pass, before carrying on in the darkness, by this point I was making use of the free Wi-Fi to catch up with some internet based stuff.

One more stop at Peterborough and it was onwards heading south once north, carrying on with the main-lines heading south with nothing odd. I think we were booked to use the up slow loop after Finsbury Park, but that didn’t happen, as we rolled into Kings Cross a couple minutes early. Early enough for me and Brian to make a fast walk (and I don’t think we were alone) to St Pancras low level for a Brighton bound Thameslink service (which at this time of night are half hourly). Sadly it was dud 700113 (but another low mileage 700 so good in a way), taking up seats in the rearmost carriage for a good chat about railway related stuff.

30 minutes later we arrived into East Croydon, parting ways as I headed back to the Easy Hotel, thankfully with both my phone & tablet pretty much fully charged, it allowed me to remove my card to turn off the electrics in the room (to get rid of that annoying hum). Overall a good day, some new track into my Baker’s atlas (plus some more loops and stuff at a Quail level), a 158 & 170 were a bonus, plus 3 more 08s into my book (joining 08742!).

19th January – Bound for... Cyprus?

Being in London from the Saturday night, meant a slightly later start on the Sunday, but a day on LU to reduce my requirements even further (having broken my target on Friday). After checking out of the hotel, I headed to East Croydon station, picking up a travelcard for the day before turning down a dud 700 heading towards Bedford for London Bridge bound 375907 (South Eastern were diverting this way this weekend), sadly a high mileage 375/9 but I managed to get a seat for the run northbound, departing national rail and heading to the Northern line platforms, which are a handy island platform, allowing me to keep an look out on both northbound & southbound services.

15 (or so) minutes later winners 51533/51534 rolled in to take me to Borough (this is where my master plan failed as I should have leapt on the first northbound service to Bank with island platforms both sides), after a couple minutes duds 51712/51574 returned me to London Bridge, spotting a required set heading southwards. Sadly I got rid of my “first service seen north/south” note, as I leapt onto 51604/51603 to Bank as a time wasting move. 20 minutes later with no other sightings, I headed to Oval on 51553/51709 (probably could have stayed on a bit longer) for a short fester awaiting the return of 51598/51599 to Kennington, leaping onto the next “Via Charing Cross” service (duds 51671/51670) to take me to Charing Cross.

My luck wasn’t that great, as I called it a day and leapt onto 51608/51607 to take me to Waterloo, swinging via Tesco for some lunch & some fresh air, before heading back underground with 96061/96108 taking me to Canada Water and 378151 to Shadwell. You could probably guess which way this report is heading, and yes it was up all those lovely stairs (hint to self, use the lift) to street level, across the road and up more stairs to the DLR platform. Straight away I had spotted a required unit on route to Tower Gateway, so it was time to make a note of what other units were floating around before 63 returned with winner 40 in tow for the short hop to Limehouse.

After I was happy there wasn’t anything else unseen, I crossed over platforms and leapt onto 122/152 back to Shadwell (mainly due to Shadwell having seats at the eastern end). Once more I spotted a required unit heading towards Bank, so I waited for it to return. 62/72/89 took me to Limehouse, taking me down to 3 units on the DLR. Sadly nothing else was spotted and the ‘firsts spotted’ were returning so it was to Poplar on 147/106 to ID what was working the Canary Wharf – ‘Stratford’ services, but alas the trio didn’t pop up so onwards to Canning Town, heading downstairs to the low level platform, mainly to keep an eye on both the Canning Town - Beckton & Stratford International – Woolwich services.

25 minutes I was happy I had covered all the sets out to play this afternoon, I leapt on 71 & 37 for a run to Cyprus to see the progress of Crossrail works at Custom House (and for my trip report title). 40/63 returned me to Canning Town high level, heading down to the jubilee line to jump onto 96005/96060 to Stratford, noting that 96005 looked rather new inside (new vinyls, repainted grab handles, new seat covers). After a quick PNB at the Stratford centre, I returned to the station (felt so empty with no NR services around), just missing a required 92 unit (caused by slow people walking up the middle of the stairs), I headed to the eastern end for a good Central Line session:

91079/92416/92144/91011 to Mile End
91131/92462/92132/91055 to Bethnal Green
91203/92010/92146/91027 back to Mile End (due to a 8 minute gap in frequency)
91265/92108/92060/91047 to Bethnal Green
91263/92016/92426/91093 to Liverpool Street
91183/92182/92128/91251 to Bank
91057/92220/92134/91003 to St Paul’s
91241/92140/92230/91085 to Chancery Lane
91253/92074/92192/91319 to Holborn
91181/92008/92450/91197 to Tottenham Court Road
91217/92232/92036/91107 back to Holborn
91259/92176/92034/91029 to Chancery Lane
91103/92440/92436/91267 to St Paul’s (last de-icer trailer, after 15 minutes of duds and repeats I headed upstairs to the westbound platform, leaping on the first service which had rolled in)
91261/92190/92186/91173 to Holborn
91291/92094/92172/91151 to Tottenham Court Road
91333/92414/92244/91075 back to Holborn.

Somehow I was down to only 8 units, sadly my luck with the Piccadilly line wasn’t that good with 3 duds before 219/216 took me to Leicester Square, and 51563/51564 took me back to Waterloo to board a busy (and I mean busy) 159001 & 159008 (008 being a winner for the year), it never emptied out as I alighted at Andover to have a short drive home, giving me time to reflect on a much better than expected day, taking my requirements on TFL down to 65.

That 65 is made up of:
8x S7 (pairs)
2x S8 (pairs)
1x D-stock (if 7032 is still around)
8 x 1992 stock (3x driving units, 5x trailers)
14 x 1995 stock
29x 1973 stock (so you can probably guess which line will be seeing my attention on my next London based Sunday whenever that may be)
3x DLR units

Next weekend sees a return to Northern land, with some shack scoring on the line between Selby & Hull before a short unit hunt.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
WOW that was a good session on Sunday! Getting those last 8 will be quite a challenge! Can't imagine which line you'll be doing in London next ;)

That tour sounds like a long day it must be said, but very much worth doing. Not many tours where you get free WiFi :lol:

That's a good tip on the easyHotel (damn I still need to do my TripAdvisor review...) and I'll try to remember that about the keycard. As always, an excellent read!
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Wow what a weekend. Youl be glad to get back to work for rest. Nicely done on the 90, the only bits of Saturdays tour of real interest are the Bly ant Tyne and York avoider. Did the sockets work on that HST? Each time that wrake goes north and I get it they dont. Interesting that the WiFi was free, or were you in First?

The stairs at Shadwell will have helped work off you pancakes and wow what a day with now only 65 TFL needs. Good going.

Look forward to your Northern weekend, I love both that TOC and part of the word with the acception of Manchester so should be a good one!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,848
Location
West of Andover
Virgin set the WiFi to "sorry for your delayed journey, here have free WiFi" mode to allow it to be free for all.

I think my next London Sunday will probably be on the 9th April (with the re-run of the Andover Fisk being on the 8th, a railtour with a semi-delayed start of the 06:59 from Grateley!)
 

Kristofferson

Member
Joined
23 Nov 2012
Messages
1,132
After seeing the updates on Twitter, I really enjoyed the rail tour reads! Like you, I'm sad to see the 442s go - glad I managed to get a trip in before they disappeared.

Mega congratulations on the GA 90s and the almost-complete S8s! How you managed to stomach that amount of time on the Central line I don't know - If I spend more than 5 minutes on one of those plastic saunas with the drunken ATO, I've had my fill...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
Great tour by the sounds of it! What happened to the second gronk at Caigentinney? I thought there were two planned there too?
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Congrats on getting your last awful AGA skoda! Sounds like a great trip there, and needing so few LU/DLR stuff is amazing.
 

37038

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2014
Messages
701
I was on the charter too! 2nd gronk failed so didn't work.

A feast of quail track for me! I requested the X/O weave at Darlington as it was my penultiumate bit of mainline track in the station. The last being Darlington UGL on the way south :)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,848
Location
West of Andover
Great tour by the sounds of it! What happened to the second gronk at Caigentinney? I thought there were two planned there too?

Gearbox issues for the other 08.

I'm surprised you think the 90s are awful Quinn, after all they are loco hauled services, which will be replaced in a few years time by EMUs [which will probably appear on your banned list for replacing locos] ;)

37038, I guess you will be booking onto that HST to the North Yorkshire Moors I think I heard mentioned coming back ;)
 
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
That looked like a good tour Kite and a very busy weekend.
 

37038

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2014
Messages
701
37038, I guess you will be booking onto that HST to the North Yorkshire Moors I think I heard mentioned coming back ;)

Bit iffy on that. The connection to NYMR is about as rare as the Esk Valley and the heritage line itself. Having been a volunteer there in previous years I've done a lot of quail level track at NYMR. Plus the mentioned heritage diesel haulage (of the full set from Grosmont) would have to be a 37 to interest me.

The only distinct interest is what it does heading north towards the line at quail level. Downside for the BLS is that Retro Railtours are taking 37s to Swansea on the same day so I think I'll be throwing ££££ at them instead haha
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top