• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
I popped to the loo for my business and had a mild fester.

Is that what they call it these day? :grin:

As usual, a very interesting read.
Congratulations on clearing Tramlink (for now), something that's high on my long list of things to do.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,855
Location
West of Andover
Is that what they call it these day? :grin:

As usual, a very interesting read.
Congratulations on clearing Tramlink (for now), something that's high on my long list of things to do.

Indeed, doing my business :lol:

Although sadly my clearance of Tramlink was very short lived due to those new trams entering service.


Have you had quite a lot of red sheds then? I seem to recall you getting duds before. I feel your pain on LU festers. Seems like ages but trains are so frequent it isn't actually that bad! My festers underground are getting longer as you'd expect as things slowly get knocked off!

A quick count in my book and I've had 21 DBC 66s, I believe the only other railtour featuring freight locos where both locos were dud has been the "Don and Went" tour which had 66177 & 60079 on
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,855
Location
West of Andover
5th November – The tour which wasn’t meant to be

It was an easy day for me, a nice little railtour to cover three little freight branch lines in Hampshire, two of which have an uncertain future in places due to limited movements, no early morning start for the 1st train of the day, and an earlier than normal finish. I had the choice of two services, either the 06:59 from Grateley, or driving to Andover for the 07:38-odd, giving me some time to relax in Woking before the tour. I decided to walk for the 06:59 which today was formed of 159108 to take me the 48 miles and 22 chains to Woking, arriving a couple minutes late due to poor railhead conditions.

With 50-odd minutes to kill I decided to head into the town centre to pick up some supplies, mainly lunch for later on in the day from Boots, and some bottles of pop & snacks from Poundland. Deciding to go back underneath the subway to reach P5, noting a new hotel having popped up on that side of the station. The platform was quite busy with some passengers deciding to ignore the “do not pass this point” signage to get a photo, with the platform staff shouting out to stay back behind the yellow line, although I think some photographers on P4 got annoyed as winner 66079 drew into Woking alongside a pair of 450s heading towards Haslemere (and departed alongside as a 159 rolled in, doh!).

Anyhow, the route was pretty much along the SWML, passing through Basingstoke before stopping for around 10 minutes before Worting Junction for an express Weymouth and another freight service to go onto the two track section towards Winchester (couldn’t they have timed a pick-up at Basingstoke for that time I wonder?), a route less travelled for me down towards Winchester, going into the P3 loop at Shawford (pretty sure that is new track for me) and onto the line towards Eastleigh where the train stopped for a crew change, before continuing southwards carrying straight on at Northam Junction onto my first main track of the day, the line to Southampton Eastern Docks and the old Southampton Terminus.

We had passed some sidings where a 444 was located, over a level crossing and came to a halt, thinking nothing off it at first as I knew from looking at Google Maps there was a level crossing at Canute Road, a couple minutes later a member of staff came over the PA to announce that “An event has happened”, with rumours before getting confirmation that the Generator Coach and the front of the 2nd carriage had come off the rails. Game over pretty much, as we were kept informed as parties did their discussions, with a new driver being taxied in to take the train back towards Eastleigh where sadly it was going to be terminated with ticket acceptance on SWT back to Woking/Waterloo.

A few hours later 66086 ticked into life and pulled forward slowly allowing the front 2 carriages (plus the other 66) to be left behind for recovery, where passengers were given two options either alighting at Southampton Airport (Parkway) (never forget the brackets ;)) or Eastleigh, both had 2 trains an hour towards Waterloo (ok the Airport had 3, but that gets overtaken at Eastleigh). I bailed at Southampton Airport for a 20 minute wait, as a 220 rolled in to pick up some passengers before super-dud 444015 rolled in.

A single unit, I didn’t have high hopes, as I boarded the rear coach, getting a table seat, on departure the rear coach was less than 75% full (no idea with the rest of the train, but I would imagine due to the announcement at Woking that “we are sorry to announce that this train is reported full & standing” it was full & standing). This was the ‘express’ Waterloo service which called only at Winchester, Woking & Waterloo, which did give me a rare chance to do Basingstoke non-stop in the Up direction on a service train. Once at Woking I exited the station to pick up a couple items for dinner, before returning to 159006/159102 back to Basingstoke, where I had a brief ‘idea’ shop in HMV before once more returning to the station (via the ticket office for a rover next Saturday), and onto a busy 159014 back to Grateley, arriving a good few hours earlier than expected, and a lot earlier than normal!

Anyhow, apart from the farce with the coach derailing (which to be thankful, could have been a lot worst if the driver didn’t stop, or it happened on the way back out), the talk was that the tour was going aiming to be rescheduled, but I await details. At least I got 2 winning ‘sheds’ today.

A couple pictures:
66079 rolling into Woking:


My view for 3 and a bit hours:


66086 departing Southampton Airport, less a couple carriages and 66079:


Anyhow, a trip to the West Midlands tomorrow :)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Getting home around 5pm must have felt more than a tad bizarre! Seems like all tours that are advertised to go to Ludgershall are doomed to failure, I seem to recall Pathfinder still haven't run their tour to there!

At least the 66s were required!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,855
Location
West of Andover
Indeed, hopefully this link will work now:
https://goo.gl/maps/D1wQePWohHQ2

Basically the track inside Corunna (Ludgershall) Barracks have pretty much gone, along with most of the camp. I would imagine the track after the former Ludgershall station itself around the rear of the "business park" is pretty much now out of use as it is a track to nowhere.
 

Dhassell

Member
Joined
22 Mar 2015
Messages
1,011
Apart from the rather large cock up at Southampton Eastern Docks it sounds like you still had quite a good day for the track you did cover :p:lol:
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,954
Location
Devon
That was a shame about the derailment causing the tour to finish prematurely. Like you say though it could've been worse.
Not the first time something like that's happened on a tour...
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0868.JPG
    IMG_0868.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 41

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
That was... eventful! Do you need to pay for the tour next time if it runs again?

People crowding onto the platforms at Woking to take photos of a red death though? Madness!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,855
Location
West of Andover
Quinn - The tour is being treated as a complete cancellation, so when the new date is
announced, passengers will be given the choice of a refund or a ticket to the rerun.

6th November – Walking through the cold air

A trip to the West Midlands was in order, mainly to score some normally rare track in the shape of the chord between Smethwick Junction & Galton Junction (which is normally only used by a small handful of early morning/late night XC services running fast to Cheltenham so when the chance of a diverted Hereford service calling at Droitwich Spa came up, I jumped at the chance to get another little PSUL into the book.

Plus gives me a chance to visit the new Snow Hill stop on the Midland Metro as the last time I was in Birmingham it hadn’t opened. It was a quick de-ice of my car (first time of the coming winter) for a drive to Andover to board the 06:59-ish service towards Basingstoke formed of 159104 which was doing a very good impression of a 170 in giving out lots of noise without much speed due to rather poor rail conditions (all those leaves munching up under the wheels). Into Basingstoke for a mere 40 minute fester until 165134 rolled in from Reading to form the next service back towards Reading for some early morning 165 action.

Once at Reading I had another 40-odd minute fester (made us of visiting Greggs for a Sausage Roll) before 220030 rolled in ECS from Eastleigh, taking up a nice table seat in coach D for the speedy run towards Oxford, noting the new bay platforms are coming along quite well, before rolling into Banbury, which has changed a lot since I last visited. Anyhow it was time for a comfort downgrade as 168216 rolled in for the bouncy run to Moor Street, pausing randomly at Lapworth before rolling into the better Birmingham terminus a few minutes late. The reason for coming so early was to be in a place to see which 68 would be pushing the daily loco hauled set, however with that not due for an hour (or so) I headed over towards the tram stop at Grand Central/New Street.

To be greeted with news that due to a car on the tracks in the Snow Hill area, services were only running between St Pauls & Worlds End, great one idea into the bin, as I headed towards the Bat Cave for some spotting of anything required. A required 350/2 was spotted on Coventry short workings, but alas nothing else was spotted (although only needing 3x 390s, 6x 350s, 1x (LM) 170, 1 x LM 153 & 1x ATW 158 (plus 2 ATW 150s) it was always going to be slim pickings). With nothing else spotted I headed back over to Moor Street to note that the ECS from the depot was running a few minutes late and caught behind a Dorridge stopping service (is that a new ticket office I see being built at Moor Street?)

Eventually 68011 rolled in, a mere 16 minutes late and I disappeared back to the Batcave (didn’t really fancy spending 30-odd minutes at Solihull), some more spotting but alas nothing meeting up with my requirements until I spotted a pair of 350s running in from Euston, usual LM lateness (think it was the 13:14) with winner 350119 leading dud 350102, so taking a seat in the front coach of 350119 it was a short delay before departing, reaching almost half a coach length before the emergency brakes kicked in with a dodgy door interlock. After a few minutes the service departed 15 minutes down to take me to the first stop at Marston Green, in the rain.

At least the delay meant a reduced fester at Marston Green for 350247 to take me a small leap to Birmingham International (gets it into the book). 15 minutes to wait for the next Birmingham bound 390, but it was the time that an ATW service from Shrewsbury rolled in which featured a 158+150, sadly both dud, as was the next London bound 390, so it was a short wait (via the new ticket hall area to kill some time) for dud 390115 to take me back to the Bat Cave (for the next VT was showing on RTT as a Voyager). Once back at the Bat Cave, there was nothing else of note within the station so I headed out to the tram stop to be greeted with a sight of a tram, for it had reopened. Woohoo.

I decided to kill some time and have a walk to the new Snow Hill platforms, and to be honest they are a waste of time, no connection to the actual Snow Hill station or to anything else. However I wasn’t alone in boarding dud tram 22 to St Pauls. A short fester at St Pauls before winner 18 rolled in to take me to Winson Green Outer Circle, a couple minute wait before another winner, this time 19 took me back to St Pauls, crossing over to the other platform for dud tram 21 back to Winson Green as a time wasting move before dud 36 took me back to Grand Central, for it was time to head down to the underbelly for a slow and ponderous 170, heading via Boots for a cheap sandwich.

Dud 170633 rolled in a few minutes late, and I managed to position myself near the front doors to grab a table seat before the driver & guard changed ends and it departed towards Droitwich Spa. I’m surprised there wasn’t a ticket check in the ~ 30 minutes it took to cover the short distance, catching up with a delayed 172 around Kidderminster (170s are so sluggish), the train emptying out at Droitwich and into Scrub Hill. A fast reversal and it was out towards the other Worcester station at Foregate Street, where I alighted to watch the 170 trotting off out West, a few minutes later the other units on Birmingham – Hereford services rolled in, which was a dud 170/5 + 170/6 so I turned them down to head outside to have a brief wonder round the station, before returning to the platform, taking up a seat in the cold wind to await the HST to Paddington, which was getting later and later (looked like it got held at Ledbury for 170633 to pass there).

Eventually dud 43147 rolled in (with 43162 on the rear, thanks to the TOPS request thread) as I climbed onto coach E and got a table (woohoo), however darkness had fallen so it was onto walking a couple TV shows I had on my tablet (WiFi wasn’t working), however even with not stopping at Honeybourne, the HST didn’t make up much time, eventually reaching Oxford 20-odd minutes late, made later with an extended fester at Didcot for a Voyager to overtake via the bypass curve. Once at Reading, I only had a few minutes to jump across platforms to jump onto 220004 (said Voyager which overtook us) down to Basingstoke. However with the delay into Reading missing the Basingstoke stopping service [which connects with the Salisbury 159s] meant a 55-odd minute fester at Basingstoke, spent in the waiting room having a catch up session on the forum (because did you know Basingstoke station now has free WiFi? :))

My train back to Andover was 159021 leading 159008 & 159006, arriving a mere 64 minutes later than expected, surprisingly my car wasn’t iced up and it was a short drive back home. 2 new units into the book plus 2 more trams with my final Midland Metro stop done and some rare track covered
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Not a bad little day out on my stomping grounds, sorry I couldn't join you after all. It's taken 4 days to get to even 75% better, but as I've discussed off-forum these last few days have produced some interesting and potentially long-term benefits. So in that sense I'm very happy!

Jealous of you getting tram 21, one of my last 3 to get for haulage and last 2 to get for sight!
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
A 220 to a 168 is a comfort downgrade :shock:?! Crazyness!

It sounds like a good time was had in Brum there with some tram mileage too.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
I was also going to comment on the 168 being a downgrade???????? Nadness!!! Now if it had been a Scotrail 1999 batch 170 in unrefurbished condition Id understand. I note the complaints all of which are valid about 170s your make though. I should think your Worcester Andover tickets are delay repay elegable though so not to bad. Shame the tour was caped and also that the new Snow Hill Tram stop isnt much good.

Ta for sharing.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also didnt realise ATW 150s made it to Birmingham, that must be a pest on the WCML
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Blindtraveller: ATW 150s are not terribly common to Birmingham, more common than 175s mind. Which I've reminded me I still need Oxley Junction to Birmingham International on a 175. The 150s don't tend to touch the WCML.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,855
Location
West of Andover
Blindtraveller: ATW 150s are not terribly common to Birmingham, more common than 175s mind. Which I've reminded me I still need Oxley Junction to Birmingham International on a 175. The 150s don't tend to touch the WCML.

Apart from Birmingham International to Wolverhampton ;)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,855
Location
West of Andover
I'm trying to think up a rough plan to continue my attack with Metrolink on Saturday, I've already purchased my "Train + Metrolink" rover to avoid delays once in Piccadilly.

I will probably decide on the day to either jump on a Chester bound service, or an Airport stopper and linear hop back towards the city centre.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
11th November – First We Take Manhattan

A quick spin to London on a Friday evening with a couple targets in my sights, mainly some AC Electrostars, with some information which services they are operating I made a loose plan, and set off to Grateley for the 14:59 to Waterloo, formed this afternoon of 159021 & 159005. No unexpected Brookwood related festers this afternoon and we rolled into Waterloo a few minutes ahead of schedule, which allowed me to use plan B (plan A was playing it safe with some 1996 action to West Ham).

Making use of the peak-time subway to reach the Northern Line platforms, I jumped on the first available service northbound, which just happened to be required 51706 & 51532, under the river to Embankment, making my way up the stairs to jump on the first available eastbound service, which happened to be a Circle line service formed of winners 21383/384 to Tower Hill, exiting from the underground on a busy platform to reach Fenchurch Street, taking me just under 15 minutes to stand on one of the island platforms to await the ECS to roll in.

Dud 357008 rolled in first with winner 357018 attached, I climbed on board and got a seat near to the doors just in case it got busy, but where it was busy there was still seats available on departure from Fenchurch Street for the tiny leap to Limehouse, where I bailed and headed to the other platform with 357004/357031 for a mileage/time wasting move back to Fenchurch Street to await another ECS from East Ham depot for a pair of units which would be doing one journey to Pitsea before heading back to the depot. I was smiling when I saw what was leading the double unit into Fenchurch Street, as I climbed on board in the rear coach. Dud 357324 was leading winner 357038 to clear the class (and C2C for a couple days until the 387/3s enter service).

A quick spin to West Ham and I left the 357s behind and headed to the Jubilee line platforms, without much in the way of ideas other than to head to Stratford for some hopeful winner 321 action to Liverpool Street. A quick scan of RTT suggested a good 20 or so minute gap before the next 321 operated service was due (ignoring the ones being shown as operated by 360s as in general GA are quite good at being able to tell the different apart). Sadly my luck with the Jubilee line wasn’t with me, as I jumped onto the 3rd service to Stratford, formed of duds 96123 & 96124, fighting my way through the crowds to reach the platform 9-10 island, as a trio of 360s were departing. I walked to the eastern end of the platform to be in a position to grab the ID of the rear unit of any triples.

Sadly once more luck wasn’t on my side as the first two services were dud, leaving me with duds 321441/321350/321433 to Liverpool Street, where I had around 30 minutes to reach Victoria to see what 387/2s were out on the 18:30 Brighton, I should have played it safe and used the Sub-Surface Line to Kings Cross, then onto the Victoria line, or even Central line to Bank, walking to Monument for a Westbound District/Circle line service, sadly I used the “shortest” route which was Central line to Oxford Circus, then Victoria line to Victoria. When I reached the platform at Liverpool Street it was a 3 minute gap in frequency before 91273/92432/92188/91277 rolled in (the rear 2 units being required) which I managed to get on, forgetting that the exit to interchange at Oxford Circus was at the Western end of the platform (for some reason I through it was at the Eastern end, so better being at the rear). A couple minute wait at Monument, and at St Paul’s due to signal problems, which meant extended dwells as people tried to squeeze on an already busy service. My mess up with my memory meant it took a good 5 minutes to reach the Victoria line platforms by which time the clock was 18:26 and I decided to say “bugger it” to those 387/2s and do a spot of 2011 stock hunting instead.

I took up a seat at the quieter end of the platform at Oxford Circus as the first few sets were dud, followed by winner 11019/020 to Green Park, followed one minute later with 11089/090 to halve my remaining requirements. With keeping one eye on the clock, I crossed over to the other side and jumped onto duds 11027/11028 back to Oxford Circus, crossing over to the Bakerloo line platform, taking up another seat as a couple Queens Park bound services were up first, both were dud, followed by a set heading all the way to Harrow which was dud 3559 leading winner 3241, so I jumped on board a busy service (football fans heading to Wembley) for the short run to Paddington, arriving around 19:05 giving me time for some fresh air before heading over to platform 12 for the 19:15 “GWR Electrics” service to Hayes.

In all fairness I wasn’t going to head out tonight, but when I saw which 387s were meant to be out I changed my mind, the 19:15 was formed of winners 387137 & 387132 for the fast run to Ealing Broadway, crossing over to the other platform for the short wait for the other units to return from Hayes, and as expected it was another pair of winners 387135 & 387130, which meant I have cleared all the 387s GWR currently have (so excluding the many more on order). I also think now I have cleared all the Electrostars which operated mainly from AC (until the 387/3s enter public service which is meant to be tomorrow), as my only ones left are a handful of 375s and the 387/2s which operate on DC. Anyhow I headed back to the underground and jumped on the first available Bakerloo line service which had rolled in the platform, I got the ID of the front set as 3247 and I was very happy as winner 3534 was on the rear (leaving me with just 1 more 32XX and 2 more 35XXs).

Swinging via Boots at Waterloo (didn’t look like Graze boxes are included in the meal-deal in this location) to climb onto the 20:20 “Reverse Split” Exeter service (causes confusion for those who can’t read the notices which say “rear 3 coaches towards Exeter”, add in a very confusing manual door (says “push” on the area where you are meant to push, so don’t try and push it at the hinge or look for a button to open the door). Anyhow it was 159014 leading 159009 for the trip back to Grateley, nothing much out of the ordinary, giving me some time to reflect on 6 more units into the book, plus a handful of LU Stock. I will be happy when I finally clear either Bakerloo or Victoria line for stock, both will probably require deployment of a deckchair at peak-times at the quieter stations [I’m thinking Pimlico for the Victoria line and probably Regents Park for the Bakerloo, unless anybody else can think of better places to fester?)

----------------

12th November – A day on the Metrolink

The idea of today was to have a good clearing out session on the Metrolink, mainly the stations, however plans changed when I got word that one of my remaining 142s was due to work a Blackburn – Wigan service passing through Victoria around 11:30. Anyhow after a few weeks gap it was a return to the 05:24 service, and as I woke up around 4:50 I heard the sound of the rain, which meant I drove to the station paying my £2 for car parking (getting rather wet walking to/from the TVM for the parking ticket).

Anyway, my mind wonders off topic, the 05:24 this morning was formed of 159104 for the uneventful trip to Waterloo, where I had around 75 minutes to reach Euston, so I decided to waste some of that time doing some linear hops on the Northern line, at first luck wasn’t on my side with a few duds in a roll before I got going with 51642/51643 to Charing Cross, followed a few minutes later with 51511/51512 to Leicester Square. A couple duds passed before 51649/51650 became the latest ticked off for the hop to Tottenham Court Road, closely followed by 51677/51678 to Goodge Street, where my run of luck ran out with a couple more duds before I jumped onto 51582/51583 to Euston.

The 08:00 to Manchester was booked from platform 3, first time in using the ticket barriers, with dud 390104 on the platform, taking up my seat in coach C (nobody needs to guess which seat I had in this coach ;)) for a speedy run non-stop to Stoke, losing some time eventually rolling into Piccadilly around 5 minutes late, I’m guessing from the state of the platforms being quite wet, Manchester had a lot of rain previously, but with nothing around the station which matched my requirements list I headed to the Metrolink platforms with winner 3078 to take me to Piccadilly Gardens. A short walk to Market Street with a couple dud trams before I cut my losses with dud 3016 to Victoria. The plan was to head to either Rochdale or Mills Hill to intercept the 142 working from Blackburn, however all plans change as I spotted a required hanging around on a Southport bound service, departing 30 or so minutes later.

Due to engineering works related to the new chord, all services from Salford were being sent into Victoria, which gave me more options, one of the next was a late running service to Clitheroe which was dud 156421 leading winner 153332. 1 mile & 59 chains later I had alighted at Salford Crescent, heading over to the other side of the island platform to jump onto 142031/142046 heading back towards Victoria, giving me a good +7 to change to the Southport service. All was going well until we were held outside Salford Central before going into Victoria 8 minutes down. However luck was with me as due to a delay to a Blackpool service meant a quick leap onto dud 150111 leading Heaton 156438 back out to Salford Crescent.

I had a couple options with the next service, either play it safe and head to Bolton or risk a tight +2 at Kearsley, remembering from my time in February the best play to be for Kearsley was at the rear of the unit, so that is where I boarded winner 142058 (last Newton Heath 142, leaving just Heaton based 142071 which was reported as working Leeds – Harrogate – York services so I’m hoping the Shinto God of Bashing will be kind enough to send it towards Sheffield next Saturday). Anyhow we rolled into Kearsley with no sight of the other unit, so I bailed walking fast under the subway to the other platform which was quite busy for dud 150137 back to Salford Crescent.

The idea now was to see if anything required should pop up in the next 20 or so minutes as another service from Clitheroe was right behind (not the best move by the signallers at Bolton putting the stopping service in front of the delayed service which doesn’t have a large turnaround time at Victoria), however that was a dud 150 (or 156) attached with a dud 153. A couple other services rolled in bound for the 2nd station of Manchester but those were dud. My eyes were drawn to a Blackpool bound service rolling in on the other platform with had required 156491 leading dud 156429, so I was Bolton bound.

Once at Bolton I worked out I had around 3 shots of a winner before the 142 would return from Wigan, the first was a busy solo 150, the 2nd was another busy solo 150 with the 142 rolling in before a busy solo 156 rolled in from Clitheroe, this time the signallers allowed dud 156423 to go first, which as to be expected from a service which would normally be 3-coaches it was busy (with the guard probably wishing she was working a 150 with a crew door!). Anyhow I popped out into the fresh air at Salford, with a dud unit from Southport via Swinton rolling in next followed by the return of 142058. I remained on the platform for the next service from Blackpool (with the last movement going to be a Stalybridge terminator). I was over the moon when my last Allerton based 156 rolled in, 156424 attached with dud 150206. Just 2 more Heaton based 156s (463 & 480) to clear the Northern 156s so I was quite pleased.

Into Victoria, and after confirming the Stalybridge terminator was a dud, I exited the station and headed to the Metrolink platforms, only a few hours later than I was hoping. After deciding that whilst I was at Victoria I might as well start with the Bury line which was operating a roughly 6 minute frequency, sadly it was all single trams (I only saw one double out in the whole time I was in Manchester and that was on a Rochdale – Exchange Square service). As per the tradition with light rail moves, I shall do a summary:
3017 Victoria to Queens Road
3044 to Abraham Moss
3048 to Crumpsall
3018 to Bowker Vale
3016 to Heaton Park
3053 to Prestwich (where I broke for a lunch break at a nearby Greggs)
3026 to Besses o’ th’ Barn
3015 to Radcliffe
3047 to Whitefield (completing the Bury line for shacks)
3026 to Besses O’ the’ Barn
3040 to Whitefield
3001 to Victoria (scoring a front seat on a busy service)

A quick break to have a look if anything heading towards Leeds was required, but nothing of interest, so it was back to the Metrolink platform with the aim of scoring my last two stops on the Rochdale line I missed back in September.

3088 to Hollinwood
3040 to Westwood (pretty much was right behind 3088)
3120 to Victoria (with an extended wait at Failsworth due to the single track section at Newton Heath)

As 3120 was heading towards Exchange Square I bailed at Victoria for the next service towards Shudehill & Market Street. The first was a dud tram so I gave that a miss, and decided to do the East Didsbury line next:

3049 to Firswood (got very heavily loaded at Market Street)
3079 to Cholrton
3077 to Firswood (mistimed the connection with an Airport tram)
3076 to St Werburgh’s Road
3065 to West Didsbury
3076 to Burton Road (via a double back)
3110 to Didsbury Village
3093 to East Didsbury

It was then only a short walk to East Didsbury national rail station, which is an evil station to reach the platforms, but I made it with time to spare (hence the reason for the double back to give me an extra few minutes) to get some 319 motor thrash from dud 319380 back to Piccadilly, being held outside for 8 minutes for a TPE to cross in front. With nothing required floating around Piccadilly, I headed down to the underbelly and back to the trams, with 3107 taking me to New Islington, 3001 to Holt Town, 3078 to Eithad Campus and then 3001 back to Piccadilly, where I had to fight to get off the tram.

With metrolink really off-limits due to massive crowding, I headed back to the top of Piccadilly but sadly nothing matched my requirement list (bar a 185 which was working as ECS back to the depot having arrived from York, and a 150/1 from Sheffield which didn’t really give any sort of decent connection for its next working). In the end I decided to jump onto dud 323231 (after confusing the Virgin gateline assistant with my Basingstoke issued rover) for the run to Stockport to intercept an ATW service from Wales, sadly it was dud Hungry Hungry Hippo 107 (better than the 150 which arrived an hour earlier!).

Time to grab some items for the trip back to Watford Junction, before I took up my seat on dud 390117 (kicking some drunken Stoke passengers out), the train emptied out a lot at Stoke and after Milton Keynes I counted 7 passengers (including myself) in coach C. I was meant to alight at Watford Junction to catch a Southern service down the West London Line to Clapham, however Southern being Southern meant it had been cancelled, so I remained on board the 390 to Euston.

To the Northern Line, and sadly my luck had run out with a couple duds, and with the next service after the 3rd being 6 minutes away I cut my losses for a ride on a quiet 51624/51625 to Waterloo, exiting the underground and walking across to 159106 which was working the 23:40 service. By this point I think my energy resources had dried out, and it didn’t help sitting opposite a grumpy old man moaning about having to catch the “noisy diesel” back to Basingstoke alongside other items. It was a slow trip after Rayners Park area as the fast line was closed for engineering works and we got caught behind a stopping service. Finally after Surbiton the 159 rejoined the fast line but the damage was done with a 10 minute delay into Woking, then on towards home.

Once at Grateley, it was a short walk to the car to drive home, where I collapsed without time to reflect on a good day with 5 more Northern DMUs falling, plus a handful of trams. As you might have guessed with the timing of this report I had Sunday off to try and recover from a cold and a busy week, sadly no London trip for me today.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,954
Location
Devon
Couple of good days out there Kite. Quite a few winners as well. I don't think I've ever been to Fenchurch street or done any of the lines out of there.
When you say linear moves do you mean getting off one service and then getting on the following one?
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Shock horror I need Fenchurch street to Limehouse too, admittedly along with most of C2C but was convinced Fenchurch upminster was cleared.

That moany old bugger on your homeward 159 should try moving to Scotland where we do weard and wonderful things like sending 156s on Edinburgh Glasgow via Motherwell workings under the wires from end to end and of course the ultimate torcher, nearly 4hrs on a 170 to/from Inverness.

Nicely done on your northern 142s/156s, I cant summon up any enthusiasm for metrolink at all but dedication from those who can is evedenced well on here.

Cheers for sharing, oh and glad you enjoyed the electrostar bashing, easilly my fave post privitisation emu.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,855
Location
West of Andover
Couple of good days out there Kite. Quite a few winners as well. I don't think I've ever been to Fenchurch street or done any of the lines out of there.
When you say linear moves do you mean getting off one service and then getting on the following one?

Pretty much the case for shacks. Easiest way to do some of the lines when the stops are quite far apart and the frequency allows it. When I come to do the 12 minute frequency lines it will probably be the two forward, one back method.

The issue on a Saturday night is a sizeable gap in the Basingstoke fast services, 23:05 Poole then nothing until the 23:35 Southampton which is overtaken at Fleet so the 23:40 Salisbury is shown as the "next fastest train"
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
As always an excellent read there Kite, quite the clearout over the two days! I haven't had a serious session on Metrolink for ages, and you've got me wanting to go back asap!

Many congratulations on clearing the 357s, something I will be years away from doing myself. Your LU needs are definitely something to be jealous of too!
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Sounds like one heck of a great time! Congrats on all of the clearances, mini and large! When are the 387/3s meant to come into service?
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,855
Location
West of Andover
Sounds like one heck of a great time! Congrats on all of the clearances, mini and large! When are the 387/3s meant to come into service?

Today I believe, all it be currently a single service in each direction
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
19th November – Canal Song (By Request)

A day on the supertram network in Sheffield was on the cards today, the aim was to finish visiting the stops (after a mild bash in September to clear the line towards Meadowhall from the city centre). As it was quite cold in the morning I decided to walk to the station (compared to spending time in the cold to de-ice the car) in time for the 05:24 to Waterloo. Due to the line via Winchester being closed, the 05:24 was held up for a late running Manchester bound 220 to dash through, which did have a benefit of being an “ice-breaker” for the rails. Anyhow a few minutes later 159005 “West of England Line” rolled in; the lost time was soon made up by the time we reached Basingstoke.

At Clapham I met up with Ark Royal who was down for the LU casual trip, as we sped towards Waterloo, and slowly walked to the Northern Line in a time wasting move. Duds 51504/51505 took us forward to Leicester Square changing over to the Piccadilly line for a short wait before a busy 199/154 rolled in for the short noisy hop to Kings Cross St Pancras, exiting the station to grab a couple items before saying farewell, and finding my seat on 222014. On discovering it was one of those rubbish seats against a pillar I took up an unreserved table seat in coach C for the fast run towards the heart of South Yorkshire.

Just over 2 hours later, the 222 arrived into Sheffield, a decent run down the Midland Mainline. I exited the station and headed over to the tram platform, deciding to head in a southern direction first (it was a coin flip between heading towards Halfway or towards Middlewood first). First up was winning tram 121 to Granville Road/The Sheffield College, with a 10 minute fester for another winner with 114 to Park Grange (Road), crossing over the road to double back to Park Grange Croft on 102.

Back across the road and it was my first dud tram of the day with 109 to Arbourthorne Road, waiting for a mere minute or two before a Purple Route tram rolled in, as I saw it heading towards the Cathedral earlier I knew it was dud 104 (with what sounded like Jarvis Cocker doing the announcements). I decided to get the half hourly served Leighton Road out of the way so it was a long trip branching off from the Halfway line. A brief walk took me to White Lane (around a 10 minute walk) arriving with a few minutes to spare before winner 105 took me to Birley Moor Road. However I mistimed the timetable and missed a tram heading back towards the city, so had a short walk down the road to Hackenthorpe, with an extended wait for a delayed 124 to take me to Moss Way.

5 minutes later 112 took me to Beighton Drake House Lane, and the car-park of the little shopping area was rather full. This time I was lucky with securing a double back to Crystal Peaks with the return of 124. Across to the other platform with 102 to Westfield, where I was thinking about walking back to Waterthorpe but decided against it due to a hill and the road alongside the track having what looked like no pavement. A few minutes afterwards 102 returned to take me back up said hill to Waterthorpe where for a time wasting mileage move I jumped onto 108 to the end of the line at Halfway, switching seats to be at the front on a short turnaround.

A few minutes later I alighted from a busy tram at Donetsk Way, crossing over for another time wasting move with 123 for the extra 23 chains to Moss Way, before 106 took me to the hilly Birley Lane. Noting that the City bound track is separate from the road but the Halfway bound track runs on the road for a short distance. 123 rolled in 10 minutes later to take me to White Lane for a lunch move on the nearby Co-Op before 121 took me to Hollinsend where I hit a slight hold up in services. 15 minutes later (not the nicest place to be in the middle of a busy road) 114 took me to Manor Top, for a short wait before Purple 104 took me to Spring Lane followed by another short wait before 109 took me for the long trip back down the hills to Sheffield City centre, the line towards Halfway/Herdings Park complete.

I alighted at City Hall and had a short wait before winner 107 took me to West Street, where I noticed the information displays not really being very good with the city centre area, eventually 125 rolled in to take to the University of Sheffield, with a short wait due to some dreadful traffic to alight. A few minutes later 119 rolled in to take me underneath the roundabout and out to the island platform of Netherthorpe Road (in between a dual carriageway so the exit was via a subway). A short wait before another yellow route tram formed of dud 120 took me to Shalesmoor, where I decided to go for a short walk to Infirmary Road being overtaken by a ghost 113 which was previously spotted on Purple line duties.

Winner 110 took me for the tiny leap to Langsett Primrose View before dud 112 took me to Bamforth, closely followed by 102 to Hillsborough (as a time wasting move). The next yellow route tram was right behind which was 122 to Hillsborough Park, where I decided to take a short walk to my final tram stop on Sheffield Supertram to Leppings Lane. System complete as winner 115 took me to Middlewood for a sub minute turnaround (for the system had collapsed it seemed) for a nice trip back to Cathedral. With nothing really better to do, I popped into a couple shops to have a look for anything before returning to the tram stop at Castle Square for dud 123 back to the station. I thought I had seen all the trams out and had concluded that my last 2 (111 & 118) must have been on the depot so I returned to Sheffield station to do some unit hunting, focusing on 158s.

Readers of last week’s report might remember how I prayed to the Shinto God of bashing to send my last 142 to Sheffield today, well I had news that it was meant to be working back from Leeds, so would it have kept to diagram, I had 2 hours to kill before it was due back into Meadowhall forming a stopper via Moorthorpe, so I kept my eye out on anything floating around but nothing from my limited Northern requirements popped up, neither did any of my last 2 TPE 185s. Of note is that a 142 was sent out in place of a 144 from Huddersfield which had an engine failure causing a step-up in services (as I would have imagined that 142 would have been used for a Doncaster stopper, in place of a 158 from York).

Anyhow with nothing else spotted, I jumped onto duds 153332 & 142093 out to Meadowhall, crossing over to platform 1 (via platform 3 for another inbound service, just in case). The time of arrival got nearer and passed as it was held up for a late running XC service, as lights were spotted in the distance, it appeared to be 142, it was a 142, my heart skipped a beat (or two) as 142071 rolled in, a class I didn’t think I would be clearing so early one seeing as they can pop up pretty much anywhere on the Northern Empire. I jumped on board dreaming of the Osaka sun for the bouncy ride back to Sheffield rolling into platform 1, which was handy as the next Meadowhall bound service was meant to be a TPE 185 which departs from platform 1. Sadly that one was being delayed, and a 158 from Nottingham rolled in first, eventually 185112 rolled in and with nothing better to do I headed back to Meadowhall, heading over to platform 1, catching the number of the tram, for it was 118 and it was departing.

I quickly leapt over to platform 3 for the next Sheffield bound service, a delayed 158910, however it was further delayed departing Meadowhall, and by the time I reached Sheffield time wasn’t on my side as there was a 9 minute gap for the next city centre bound service, by which time 118 would be halfway to Hillsborough. A job for another day in Sheffield once the new 399s eventually enter service, probably making a weekend of it when Ilkeston eventually opens and searching for the final 3 Nottingham trams, anyhow with nothing else to do I picked some food up from Superdrug and headed over to platform 8 where 222003 “Tornado” was waiting to form the final service to London. I grabbed my seat and settled down for a fast run, departing a few minutes late due to waiting for a XC to pass and also coming to a halt after Leicester station (judging by a pause at Market Harborough I can only assume someone either was meant to alight at Leicester or boarded a non-stop London service in error).

Arrival into London was around 5 minutes late, but I still had 40 minutes to play with, so decided to head to the sub surface line platform as a dud S8 was pulling in, I allowed it to go because the next service was showing as being in 4 minutes with a dud S7 sandwiched in the middle. The wait was worth it as winner 21083/084 rolled in to take me to Baker Street, heading down to the Jubilee line platform for a minute wait before winners 96016/96050 rolled in for the speedy run to Waterloo (for I was feeling like I hadn’t had a good speedy run on 96 stock lately and was missing the noise). Leaving LU I headed up stairs to board the 22:20 service which tonight was formed of 159018.

A very well loaded 159018 from the word go, which only got rather full & standing down the aisles after Clapham Junction, thankfully emptying out at Basingstoke, where I noticed the rain, the heavy rain which continued all the way back to Grateley, where I leapt into the shelter for a few minutes hoping for some sort of lay-off, but alas it was still coming down, so by the time I reached home I was just a tad on the wet side (made worse by not having a super bright torch to highlight the areas of flooding on the pavement).

Next weekend is an unit hunting session in Liverpool, with hopefully a visit to Norfolk on the Sunday, but here are a couple pictures:

Early morning Voyager thrash:


What’s that coming over the hill, be it a monster tram?


Mmm Smokehouse:


The beast of 142071, my final Northern Pacer!!
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Congratulations on clearing the Supertram network for shacks, more so for clearing the 142s Kite!

As always an excellent read and I really didn't envy you going out bashing when a storm was on the way in!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,855
Location
West of Andover
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top